Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is anyone else creeped out by the new mugshots for players? ESPN recently updated them all and some disturb me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
They look the same to me on my team outside of Joc and Cutch but theyve looked like that all season changing from last season's shots

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

the_american_dream posted:

They look the same to me on my team outside of Joc and Cutch but theyve looked like that all season changing from last season's shots

Weird maybe my browser is just slow on the uptake. Basically everyone changed.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Tulo now hitting .310/.335/.513

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

Weird maybe my browser is just slow on the uptake. Basically everyone changed.

I saw everyone's portrait change about a week (?) ago. It was most noticeable on players that were recently traded... they all got updated to the new team's ball caps.

Sousa and Stanton both look like murderers, and Jason Motte looks all :350:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
GRRR.
If the only way I can get Scherzer is by giving Bats + McCullers, would you do it? I really have way too many RBIs (I'm 50 up on 2nd place already) and want another elite SP.
E: The only other offer I have at the moment is MadBum straight up for Joey Bats.

E2: The madbum offer is from 1st place, he has a lot of ground he can move up in R/RBI. Probably shouldn't do that.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 9, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ChiTownEddie posted:

GRRR.
If the only way I can get Scherzer is by giving Bats + McCullers, would you do it? I really have way too many RBIs (I'm 50 up on 2nd place already) and want another elite SP.
E: The only other offer I have at the moment is MadBum straight up for Joey Bats.

E2: The madbum offer is from 1st place, he has a lot of ground he can move up in R/RBI. Probably shouldn't do that.
I think pitching is mostly horseshit and you can stream yourself to competency unless you have some guy on the other side who has Scherzer/Gray/++

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

I think pitching is mostly horseshit and you can stream yourself to competency unless you have some guy on the other side who has Scherzer/Gray/++

After I grab a couple of really solid guys in the draft, I stop caring and just grab some decent dudes later on. I'm in second place in a 16-team league and here's my staff (holds count):

SP - Gray
SP - C. Martinez
RP - Miller
RP - Street
P - Watson
P - Smith
P - Siegrist
P - Fields
BN - E. Rodriguez
BN - Karns
BN - DeSclafani
BN - J. Chavez
BN - Hahn
BN - C. Anderson
BN - K. Hendricks
NA - Matz

Yep. Somehow that staff has me in the top third of our pitching stats.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I just checked in on a h2h points league that I didn't look at all year. I didn't draft either- maybe the computer kows what it's doing because my team is pretty good.

C: Norris (my pick up)
1B: Fielder
2B: Dozier
3B: Donaldson
SS: dropped whoever it was
OF: Charlie Blackmon, Wil Myers, Pence, Jorge Soler (not so good)
UT: Laroche

Pitching is great-

Kluber, Cole, deGrom, Zimmerman, Danny Salazar, Harvey, McHugh
RP: Melancon, Storen

I just traded Kluber for Tulo and now I can replace him with Salazar or McHugh. Good call? And should I continue trading SP for hitters? I know SP rule h2h points, but I could just grab a 2 start pitcher to round out the last starting spot.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
oh just checking in hows it going stanton & votto?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

What up fellow Stanton + Votto owner!

It would be cool if their teammates got on base some, my team has 6 dingers and 7 RBI today.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
I've been itching to drop Jason Heyward lately (not sure if that's being impatient or not), and Cameron Maybin is available on the wire.

Is Maybin finally putting it together, or just having a good stretch?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh hey thanks for making GBS threads yourself in the bottom of the sixth, James Shields :bravo:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Big Shame James

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
Anyone start Heston tonight? I didn't, but I figure some people streamed him.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

weas posted:

I added him at 6:53pm, right after ESPN processed Odorizzi to the DL.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

weas posted:

The guy I'm playing against this week did. Heston outscored my entire team today :(.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Checks hitting. 5HR total? Thanks Votto.
Checks pitching. Very solid outing from Rodriguez...what 3ERA? :argh: Chad Qualls!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

ZenVulgarity posted:

Scherzer/Gray/Syndergaard today. i am very sad. Stream pitching

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

..what 3ERA? :argh: Chad Qualls!

Oh no... I'm afraid to look.

Edit: Yahoo literally has his ERA today as "INF" which stands for INFINITY.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 10, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

blarzgh posted:

Oh no... I'm afraid to look.

Edit: Yahoo literally has his ERA today as "INF" which stands for INFINITY.

hahahaha
The good ole INF.
The 3ERA was my overall after seeing that Rodriguez threw 6 no run innings.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I didn't have any starters going today. Just Addison Reed and A.J. Ramos pitching in relief.

0.2 innings pitched. 40.50 ERA 7.50 WHIP

Oh, and I left Carlos Correa's 1st MLB dinger on my bench along with Brian McCann's three hit, two RBI day because I now have too many good catchers and too many good shortstops and nobody that will actually trade me for them. I'm in second, so I'm going to hold on and have faith that I can convert these assets into an even better team down the stretch.

On the bright side, I did start Yan Gomes and his two dinger day. :unsmith:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just got this offer:

Give:
Donaldson (219 points scored)
Jose Fernandez

Get:
Joc Pederson (162)
Hanley Ramirez (152)
Adrian Beltre (112, on DL)

H2H points league where pitchers rack up points, but Donaldson is still the #3 highest scoring player in the league. I declined, I think to give up a top 5 player I should be getting a couple top 10 or 15 guys in return, Pederson is 25th and Hanley is about 35th.

Plus I've been stashing Fernandez all year and he's gonna come back and hopefully solidify my rotation.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
CarGo finally hitting!!

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

DoctaFun posted:

Just got this offer:

Give:
Jose Fernandez

Get:
Joc Pederson (162)
Hanley Ramirez (152)

Yeah this is a clear no for me as well in a points league. Joc isn't anywhere near as valuable in this type of league as he is in roto because of his 30% K rate.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Is Jordan Zimmermann done? His peripheral numbers suck. And why is Tyson Ross suddenly walking everyone?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Every once in awhile I will watch ESPN gamecast or mlb.com gameday thing if I'm bored and want to 'watch' an at bat for one of my players or maybe an inning for one of my pitchers.

Normally what happens is that I'll see a pitcher of mine with 5 IP and like 8 Ks, I'll say 'drat, great job, I want to see a few more Ks!'. So I will load up the gamecast thing just in time to see them give up a 3 run HR.

Today was different though, I checked in on Reyes and Donaldson just in time to see them hit back to back dingers :).

I'm having a pretty good start to the week with Votto/Donaldson/Reyes/Pujols.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

DoctaFun posted:

Just got this offer:

Give:
Jose Fernandez

Get:
Joc Pederson (162)
Hanley Ramirez (152)

H2H points league where pitchers rack up points, but Donaldson is still the #3 highest scoring player in the league. I declined, I think to give up a top 5 player I should be getting a couple top 10 or 15 guys in return, Pederson is 25th and Hanley is about 35th.

Plus I've been stashing Fernandez all year and he's gonna come back and hopefully solidify my rotation.

I wouldn't have done this deal. Never give up the best player in the deal, especially when the gap between the best and second best in the deal is pretty wide.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Is Jordan Zimmermann done? His peripheral numbers suck. And why is Tyson Ross suddenly walking everyone?

Done? What do you mean? His K/9 is down, and his WHIP is up, but why do you think he's done?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Andrew Miller to the DL with forearm tightness. Welp.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Senf posted:

Andrew Miller to the DL with forearm tightness. Welp.

gently caress :suicide:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I wouldn't have done this deal. Never give up the best player in the deal, especially when the gap between the best and second best in the deal is pretty wide.

Done? What do you mean? His K/9 is down, and his WHIP is up, but why do you think he's done?

His K/9 isn't just down, it's dangerously down, and he's walking more guys too. Those two things getting worse aren't a good sign. His ERA is where it is because his HR rate is lower than normal.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you're in super deep/AL only leagues the Twins called up Jorge Polanco from AA (he's starting tonight) and he's probably not the worst you could do at short

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Can someone give me the best bet for a RP right now? I don't need saves, I just need ratios mostly. Strikeouts are secondary.

I know it's a crapshoot, but I don't want to pick one up and have it be the night they give up three runs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moneyball posted:

Can someone give me the best bet for a RP right now? I don't need saves, I just need ratios mostly. Strikeouts are secondary.

I know it's a crapshoot, but I don't want to pick one up and have it be the night they give up three runs.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/split/128/order/false/minip/20

Mess with it to help find exactly what you want, but those filters should be a good starting point. Most of these guys are probably already on a team though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Moneyball posted:

Mariano Rivera but he retired.

Pitchers are volatile. Roster them and pray.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Moneyball posted:

I like Josh Fields but he's walked 4 in his last 4 IP so who the hell knows

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh good, I knew my uncharacteristically decent Gio Gonzalez start would be spoiled.

Thank you, Trevor Bauer!

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think it's time to sit Harvey for a bit. Maybe his dead arm is really dead? :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Yeah I think it's time to sit Harvey for a bit. Maybe his dead arm is really dead? :(

lol he's had what, 2 loving bad outings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
Hard for me to agree that Harvey's arm is dead looking at his velocity numbers from last night. His two-seamer was the 2nd fastest he's thrown it all year:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?playerid=11713&position=P&type=11&gds=&gde=&season=2015&sort=5,d

I didn't see the game but homers have obviously been Harvey's problem in his bad starts. Not sure if it's a mechanics issue or just a bump in the road.

• Locked thread