Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best team line-ups I've seen usually have at least two aerosprays (or similar weapon if they're good with it) and a roller. Then depending on the map either a charger/third rapid-fire gunman/second roller. As the roller guy I tend to stay behind inking side routes and charging up my Kraken and usually by the time I reach the fray I can activate it and mess some fools up.

The worst thing is when you get a good line going straight away and some dick with a Splattershot follows behind me. You're not getting yourself any points you idiot, go shoot people in the face so I can come make huge waves on their side with no hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Bown posted:

The worst thing is when you get a good line going straight away and some dick with a Splattershot follows behind me. You're not getting yourself any points you idiot, go shoot people in the face so I can come make huge waves on their side with no hassle.

Same. Literally the only time I wish this game had voice communication is in the first two seconds of a match, just so I can say to people "I'll go left! You go right!"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Same. Literally the only time I wish this game had voice communication is in the first two seconds of a match, just so I can say to people "I'll go left! You go right!"

Actually, I think you're to something. What if the map doled out areas of responsibility for the players in the beginning? That way everyone would instantly know which parts of their home turf they needed to ink.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Infinitum posted:

Stealing this one for an avatar. Thanks.

If you are good at this, please let me know what tools you use. I'm trying to pare down the Marie one and the best I can do requires shrinking it down to 74x74

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Actually, I think you're to something. What if the map doled out areas of responsibility for the players in the beginning? That way everyone would instantly know which parts of their home turf they needed to ink.

Nah, people who are not bad figure this out for themselves.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

The Gorp posted:

That's an E-liter with a scope, nozzlenose and carbon roller that is.

All 4 of those weapons interest me, especially the one I couldn't name.

That's the Splash-o-matic. It looks pretty neat. :3:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not a Children posted:

If you are good at this, please let me know what tools you use. I'm trying to pare down the Marie one and the best I can do requires shrinking it down to 74x74

Imageready.

Hold up hoss imma fix you up

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

The Carbon Roller was the roller that was supposed to be able to deflect incoming fire when swinging right?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
The rollers and inkbrush already do this.

Dunno if the carbon roller was supposed to be better at it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Cut a lot of frames to get it under 100k, so.. :shrug:
Adjust timings if you need to.

ImageReady bundled with Photoshop CS2 does the job best so :filez:

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

After getting halfway through B- in ranked, turf war is so relaxing. Turf war forever.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Sometimes at the end of a Turf War I'll see people with kills listed but zero points scored. Did they disconnect or what?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rocketlex posted:

Sometimes at the end of a Turf War I'll see people with kills listed but zero points scored. Did they disconnect or what?

If someone disconnects at any point in the match they show up on the scoreboard with zero points.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

We had a player this morning named Angel who went several rounds 0-5+ averaging 66 points a round.

Team Cat, Team Dog? No my friends.

Team :angel:

Like you feel bad because you just know it's a little kid trying to have some fun and he's getting destroyed.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Doesn't need to be done by the computer. Actually, you could turn this into a great voiceless communication feature.

Make it so if you tap a part of the map with no one on it, you create a little point on the map with a line going to your character, which means "I'm going to go here." So everyone sees a little line coming off your character leading to the place you've said you're going to go, and can get a quick sense of whether the team is spreading out or staying clustered.

As the match is starting, everyone could tap a point on the map to give a rough indication of what their starting route will be. If someone's going the same way you are, you can instead tap somewhere else and hopefully having things worked out by the time the match begins.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Playing with friends, I met a player named Chaisaw.

He stood in his own base never shooting his charger unless it was for a kill, inking nothing but going 50p every game with some kills but no deaths.
Eventually we began body blocking him if he was on our team or specifically ignoring the match and killing him.

It was great, he was furious. I didn't know you could give away how mad you are in Splatoon through character body language.
On a side note, he was level 11. Must have been playing every second since launch.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

The Gorp posted:

Playing with friends, I met a player named Chaisaw.

He stood in his own base never shooting his charger unless it was for a kill, inking nothing but going 50p every game with some kills but no deaths.
Eventually we began body blocking him if he was on our team or specifically ignoring the match and killing him.

It was great, he was furious. I didn't know you could give away how mad you are in Splatoon through character body language.
On a side note, he was level 11. Must have been playing every second since launch.

Old habits die hard. I'll eat bountiful hats if that guy wasn't a TF2 Sniper trying to translate his mad skills to this squidgame.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Infinitum posted:

We had a player this morning named Angel who went several rounds 0-5+ averaging 66 points a round.

Team Cat, Team Dog? No my friends.

Team :angel:

Like you feel bad because you just know it's a little kid trying to have some fun and he's getting destroyed.

My 4 year old averages 400 or so with the roller, not too shameful. He also managed to 'squid-ge' the entire enemy team in one roll last night. So proud.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The higher in the ranks I get, the more players I see wearing that embarrassing gas mask.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

The higher in the ranks I get, the more players I see wearing that embarrassing gas mask.

squids be tenacious

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I actually like the gas mask, but its just so overused that what little charm it used to have is gone.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I spent 60k to make my sporty bobble hat the exact same as it. I look fresh no matter what :smug:

Also what would the general thought be if a splatfest was held and the question was "Do you want the Inklings in Smash?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I used to think I was doing pretty solid with a charger. 600-750p before the win bonus, usually a few splats, good area denial. Then I picked up an aerospray. On my first game I got 1300p post-win, splatted 12 guys. High point of the night was when I got my supercharge with three seconds left, activated my inkzooka and splatted the entire enemy team with one shot.

Second highest point would be when the entire enemy team were rollers who had no idea what to do against the strat of "walk slowly backwards." Got 16 splats that time, including one who head-on'd a seeker mine twice. Everyone knows a full-roller team has a lot of problems, but nobody wants to be the one to give up their precious toy.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I spent 60k to make my sporty bobble hat the exact same as it. I look fresh no matter what :smug:

Also what would the general thought be if a splatfest was held and the question was "Do you want the Inklings in Smash?"

I don't think there would be another team to play against.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Funky Fresh Treads

Where are all the Fresh Squid Pics?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I find that generally players don't know how to deal with ink curtains. They'll stand there stupified while I shoot at them behind it. The smarter ones will usually retreat, which is fine when I'm trying to keep them out of range of the splat zone(s). Because of that I'm usually at the top of my team.

Also need to show how ballin' I look - when I get back from work.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Supercar Gautier posted:

Because the gasmask actually has a somewhat-worthwhile attribute, unlike pretty much all the other headgear

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rexroom posted:

I find that generally players don't know how to deal with ink curtains. They'll stand there stupified while I shoot at them behind it. The smarter ones will usually retreat, which is fine when I'm trying to keep them out of range of the splat zone(s). Because of that I'm usually at the top of my team.

Yeah, the correct response is usually to chuck a bomb over it and skedaddle. Or maybe go around if there's friendly ink to do that in and it's not a corridor.

The only thing I've found a bit annoying about inkwalls is that what happens when one gets thrown at you doesn't seem consistent. Sometimes it bumps me back as it lands, but sometimes it just lands behind me, and each of those of course calls for a different response.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Jarogue posted:

Funky Fresh Treads

Where are all the Fresh Squid Pics?

This isn't my freshest squidkid outfit, but here she is hanging out in the plaza (courtesy of Jonas Albrecht).

:3:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How the hell are Splatfest clothes out already?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Infinitum posted:

How the hell are Splatfest clothes out already?

Splatfest in Japan.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

Splatfest in Japan.

They've had one already? I thought their first one was this weekend.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Infinitum posted:

They've had one already? I thought their first one was this weekend.

Is it? Huh, maybe; I thought it was the weekend that just passed, not this coming one. Whoops. Dunno then.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I saw a lot of them over the weekend so who knows

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you choose your cat/dog team when the Splatfest actually starts, right?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I thought the voting started week before the actual Splatfest starts and you get a shirt when you vote?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Don't know if this has been posted, but there is an Honest Game Trailer for Splatoon out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8gZmJLuVAI

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The biggest distinguishing quality of a good team is good housekeeping. Making sure to ink your space so you actually have room to move and position and retreat is important, and the unifying element of most of the fuckup teams is they ignore huge patches of enemy ink for whatever reason, like I guess someone else will clean that up. It's not only making sure your team has space to move, but also closing off routes the enemy will take to flank you. It's like the middle ground between dandelion-picking teammates who paint every corner and the tunnel-vision superheroes who just assume someone else will do the mom work for them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Don't know if this has been posted, but there is an Honest Game Trailer for Splatoon out now:

lawl at (Heavy Breathing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Unlucky7 posted:

A little too on the nose.

• Locked thread