Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

I have to believe the blood ball was mostly CGI. Cause no way someone is gonna want to mess up that set and then have to be responsible for hosing it down.

It wouldn't be that hard to make the blood out of a easily washable substance. But, yeah, it was probably cgi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The set for Dorian's weird-rear end gallery of a billion pictures is fairly sparse aside from the paintings and the production definitely has multiples of each in props. There might've been a few wide shots where the blood was CG or digitally enhanced but for the most part it was definitely practical. Not that difficult to shoot the scenes out of sequence and save the blood shower stuff for last, wrap the episode and clean the place up for whenever you shoot the set next.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Stare-Out posted:

The set for Dorian's weird-rear end gallery of a billion pictures is fairly sparse aside from the paintings and the production definitely has multiples of each in props. There might've been a few wide shots where the blood was CG or digitally enhanced but for the most part it was definitely practical. Not that difficult to shoot the scenes out of sequence and save the blood shower stuff for last, wrap the episode and clean the place up for whenever you shoot the set next.

There's also a decent chance that was the last scene shot for the season and the room is just never used again or they spend the gap between seasons cleaning it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
How was anyone surprised by the Wolf-Man look when the rest of the monsters are paying homage to Universal era stuff?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I think you all forgot what show you are watching, and need to be reminded of the central truth that they are going to keep their wolf-man fuckable.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Boogaleeboo posted:

I think you all forgot what show you are watching, and need to be reminded of the central truth that they are going to keep their wolf-man fuckable.

All wolves have assholes regardless of complexity of their fur and claws :colbert:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Josh Hartnett is hot as hell in this show. :swoon:

I realized that I don't necessarily hate the character of Dorian Gray; it's Reeve Carney that I hate. He's too blase` about everything. Though that is in part to his story line since he hasn't been given anything more than *smirk* *gently caress someone* *look away wistfully* repeat.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Its actually just over 200 pictures, that they had to license and then print onto special textured paper and then treat to make it look painted, plus the frames. I think its their second most expensive set (the first being the theater they built that emo-stien worked at) despite how sparse it appears. Also they have very few copies of props and costumes, theres been a few scenes where they only had 2 dresses or whatever so there was a lot of pressure to get it right. The majority of their props arent theirs, they rent them so it'd suck if they got stained or damaged.

So I dunno.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Mouse Dresser posted:

Josh Hartnett is hot as hell in this show. :swoon:

I realized that I don't necessarily hate the character of Dorian Gray; it's Reeve Carney that I hate. He's too blase` about everything. Though that is in part to his story line since he hasn't been given anything more than *smirk* *gently caress someone* *look away wistfully* repeat.

Yeah I really can't tell if he's a poor actor or it's part of the role. Vanessa Ives reaction and tenseness when he comes in with invitations would be how I'd act around him. That snake you sleep with the one time and now they think they absolutely know you.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Blackchamber posted:

Its actually just over 200 pictures, that they had to license and then print onto special textured paper and then treat to make it look painted, plus the frames. I think its their second most expensive set (the first being the theater they built that emo-stien worked at) despite how sparse it appears. Also they have very few copies of props and costumes, theres been a few scenes where they only had 2 dresses or whatever so there was a lot of pressure to get it right. The majority of their props arent theirs, they rent them so it'd suck if they got stained or damaged.

So I dunno.
Man I would love to see a behind the scenes of how they pulled that off.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Sober posted:

Man I would love to see a behind the scenes of how they pulled that off.

Caught something that might show it but it's not visible in my country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AeiWuODXHw

"Penny Dreadful Season 2 | Behind The Scenes : The Blood Ball"

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I would love to know what the budget is on this show. Because to my eyes, it's the most expensive looking production on television other than Game of Thrones. There are so many scenes with dozens of extras walking around in full period costume. The episode with table tennis has a full blown fair going on outside that wasn't even necessary to the plot or acknowledged by any of the characters (unless I missed something). It's such a pleasure to drink it all in.

I heard a rumor the budget was lower this season, I wonder if it's true? I certainly can't tell.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wax Lion posted:

I would love to know what the budget is on this show. Because to my eyes, it's the most expensive looking production on television other than Game of Thrones. There are so many scenes with dozens of extras walking around in full period costume. The episode with table tennis has a full blown fair going on outside that wasn't even necessary to the plot or acknowledged by any of the characters (unless I missed something). It's such a pleasure to drink it all in.

I heard a rumor the budget was lower this season, I wonder if it's true? I certainly can't tell.

Its a mix. I have the Penny Dreadful production book and they cg a lot of people in, more so the outdoors stuff so they have pictures of a handful of people in costume hanging out infront of a green screen but after its done it looks like the whole town turned up.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Saw a BTS picture a couple of days ago, and it looked like the blood-soaked people were being shot on a green-screen stage.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

That scene needed "Confusion" by New Order and Westley Snipes.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Wax Lion posted:

It was really apparent to me in the first episode of the season. Most of the CGI and the set/green screen for Sir Malcolm's children's graves made the whole thing feel cheap.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

hepscat posted:

Caught something that might show it but it's not visible in my country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AeiWuODXHw

"Penny Dreadful Season 2 | Behind The Scenes : The Blood Ball"

I found this which worked for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeB_u_2AFL4.

So they green screened the ballroom but everyone else got soaked.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Admoon posted:

I found this which worked for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeB_u_2AFL4.

So they green screened the ballroom but everyone else got soaked.

That was so loving cool. I think the blood ball was by far the greatest scene of this show to date. I must've rewatched it at least ten times.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Agree about the blood ball but there were other notable scenes this ep.
I really like the wax museum of horrors. The owner is a great character and a right bastard. The blind woman and "Caliban your hands are cold, like you're not really alive". Complications.
And of course Sembene isn't invited to the ball, but like Dorian he is up for anything.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 11, 2015

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Binary Logic posted:

Agree about the blood ball but there were other notable scenes this ep.
I really like the wax museum of horrors. The owner is a great character and a right bastard. The blind woman and "Caliban your hands are cold, like you're not really alive". Complications.
And of course Sembene isn't invited to the ball, but like Dorian he is up for anything.

Ethan told him not to move from the chair and what did Sembene do? MOVED FROM THE loving CHAIR.

THAT'S IT, SEMBENE! YOU'RE FIRED!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Binary Logic posted:

The owner is a great character and a right bastard.

Pretty sure his 'grand plan' is to open a live freak show with Caliban as the main attraction - but not tell Caliban about it until opening night. Caliban will go beast mode when people start laughing at him and all the suspicion for the Mariner's Inn Massacre will fall on him since he'll straight up rip people apart.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mouse Dresser posted:

Ethan told him not to move from the chair and what did Sembene do? MOVED FROM THE loving CHAIR.

Sembene's reaction was justified. Besides, his employer is smitten and not concerned with what's going on in the basement.
And the scene with Madame Kali starting Malcolm's voodoo doll heart freaked me out much more than the ol' werewolf transition. The previous episode was filled with sex, this one with grotesque imagery and plenty of spilled blood. From Gladys' neck, from Malcolm's neck, the crime scene tableaux, Madame Kali's real "house of horror", and then the final scene.

Love this show, what does that say about me LOL.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Just like the theatre last season mirroring everyone being not what they seemed, I am in lit nerd love with the idea of the wax museum reproducing someone's past for them to relive.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Mouse Dresser posted:

Seems to be a recurring theme; the cut wife said the same to Vanessa.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So it seems next week we're going to see the resurgence of Aspiestein.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
So I enjoyed the first season but the season 2 premiere was dull to the point where I couldn't finish. There was far too much emphasis on, "Look at how scared Vanessa is! The villains must be so scary!" and little in the way of proof. And too much of Caliban. Does it get better?

Things I hoped for in season 2:
1) More of Malcolm the anti-hero: "There was a time I would have gladly killed you and there may come a time when I gladly shall."
2) Dorian Grey becoming relevant
3) Characters having interesting conversations/monologues like in the OP

Number 4) Gorgeous intricate settings and costumes is a given.

Spoilers are welcome.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fall posted:

So I enjoyed the first season but the season 2 premiere was dull to the point where I couldn't finish. There was far too much emphasis on, "Look at how scared Vanessa is! The villains must be so scary!" and little in the way of proof. And too much of Caliban. Does it get better?

Things I hoped for in season 2:
1) More of Malcolm the anti-hero: "There was a time I would have gladly killed you and there may come a time when I gladly shall."
2) Dorian Grey becoming relevant
3) Characters having interesting conversations/monologues like in the OP

Number 4) Gorgeous intricate settings and costumes is a given.

Spoilers are welcome.

Not that it's a spoiler, but Angelique evidently learns Dorian's 'secret' next week. Thus far the only one who has gotten close to that in this story is Bronastein, and as far as she knew, Dorian just didn't give a poo poo about potentially contracting TB.

As for #3, there's plenty of interesting conversations thus far in S2. It's just sort of meandering into ~serious mode~ again, potentially for the worst.

Also, Lily's quote in the teaser for next episode makes me think neither Caliban nor the Doctor is surviving past this season.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 15, 2015

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not that it's a spoiler, but Angelique evidently learns Dorian's 'secret' next week. Thus far the only one who has gotten close to that in this story is Bronastein, and as far as she knew, Dorian just didn't give a poo poo about potentially contracting TB.

As for #3, there's plenty of interesting conversations thus far in S2. It's just sort of meandering into ~serious mode~ again, potentially for the worst.

Sweet, thanks. I'll give it another shot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fall posted:

Sweet, thanks. I'll give it another shot.

Wait until you get to "undergarments."

You'll be kind of disappointed with what they're doing to Malcolm's character, though. I understand *why* they're doing it, but it just comes off as bad/clumsy writing.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You'll be kind of disappointed with what they're doing to Malcolm's character, though. I understand *why* they're doing it, but it just comes off as bad/clumsy writing.

That's a shame. Can't say I'm surprised, given that he and Vanessa reconciled by the end of season 1. Luckily there's an ensemble cast.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Tings become utter tings. De crocodile eat de leopard and become crocodile and leopard and monkey.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 17, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's been a long long time since Ethan shot anybody and I'm getting blueballs for gunslinger on vampire action.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I've never liked trees since. Not one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY

Halloween Jack posted:

It's been a long long time since Ethan shot anybody and I'm getting blueballs for gunslinger on vampire action.

After this season of Game of Thrones, its nice having a show that takes the time to get you invested in the characters and their stories rather than just frantically bouncing from set piece to set piece.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Given the horrible, otherworldly horrors she's faced, Vanessa suddenly deciding to use the old, "break glass only in case of Armageddon" spell book simply because she ran into Lord Spankbutt and his dogs really fell flat for me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PerilPastry posted:

Given the horrible, otherworldly horrors she's faced, Vanessa suddenly deciding to use the old, "break glass only in case of Armageddon" spell book simply because she ran into Lord Spankbutt and his dogs really fell flat for me.

Pretty much thought the same thing. It was lazy writing, and honestly would have been better if she had decided to read the book out of curiosity having been given self-defense to think about by Ethan, found the spell, and we'd get to see how the book seduces her into using it like the old woman warned.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 17, 2015

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

I thought she had already decided to use the book when she chose the house as the place to hide. I think the run in with that guy was just the catalyst to actually read it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Good news, scenery will continue to be chewed for a nine-episode third season:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/penny-dreadful-season-3-showtime-john-logan-1201520756/

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Kesper North posted:

Good news, scenery will continue to be chewed for a nine-episode third season:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/penny-dreadful-season-3-showtime-john-logan-1201520756/

Hooray! Maybe during season 3 Dorian can gently caress Malcolm and Sembene, too.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Mouse Dresser posted:

Hooray! Maybe during season 3 Dorian can gently caress Malcolm and Sembene, too.

Penny Dreadful Season 3: Sir Malcolm fucks Dorian and becomes Sir Malcolm and Dorian and Angelique and Vanessa and Ethan and Brona and Victor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Kegslayer posted:

Penny Dreadful Season 3: Sir Malcolm fucks Dorian and becomes Sir Malcolm and Dorian and Angelique and Vanessa and Ethan and Brona and Victor.

gently caress yeah. :getin:

As long as Lyle is still left out in the cold to pine away for some hot, hot werewolf rear end.

• Locked thread