Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Wasn't there someone pledging moneys for everyone that beat it in Japanese last year? Been finally learning the language this past year and will be playing the Japanese version for this fiesta. Only problem is I can't name him Fartz... Guess I'll just have to settle with ファルトズ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Wasn't there someone pledging moneys for everyone that beat it in Japanese last year? Been finally learning the language this past year and will be playing the Japanese version for this fiesta. Only problem is I can't name him Fartz... Guess I'll just have to settle with ファルトズ.

Wouldn't ファルツ or ファーツ be more accurate? That reads as something like Faltos.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Is it bad that I almost feel like you'd be better served with Equip Swords on the Dancer? Think about it - give them the Defender from Fork Tower, and between a Ribbon, the Dress, and Sandals, you have a zippy beater with weapon block and gobs of defense (Rainbow Dress and Ribbon are almost best-in-class, defense wise). Putting Knight strength behind !Dance makes those Sword Dances pop off even harder.

Wouldn't do poo poo against magic, though, I guess. :v:

Alternative answer: Equip Shields on the Dancer for a loadout of Chicken Knife/Aegis Shield/Ribbon/Rainbow Dress/Hermes Sandles.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Trasson posted:

Alternative answer: Equip Shields on the Dancer for a loadout of Chicken Knife/Aegis Shield/Ribbon/Rainbow Dress/Hermes Sandles.

I thought about that, but edged away from taking an Aegis from the Berserker. There's only two easy ones (and I'm not a fan of wishing rare steals with common steal availability with only the thief's knife on anyone).

It's a solid idea if you want to leave the Berserker "exposed", so to speak, though.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

One easy one, with that job setup. The second easy one is locked behind Omniscient and I'd rather Thief Knife a rare steal than run him out of MP.

Unless there are easy ones that I'm forgetting, besides the ones in the forest of Moore and Istory Falls.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vil posted:

One easy one, with that job setup. The second easy one is locked behind Omniscient and I'd rather Thief Knife a rare steal than run him out of MP.

Unless there are easy ones that I'm forgetting, besides the ones in the forest of Moore and Istory Falls.

I honestly have no problem zeroing out Omniscient's MP. I put it in the background and change my VBA keybinds (so I can do things otherwise) and turn on turbo and do other poo poo for an hour.

I guess people who aren't emulating would say otherwise. *shrug*

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

AweStriker posted:

Wouldn't ファルツ or ファーツ be more accurate? That reads as something like Faltos.

Perhaps... I'm by no means an expert, but I read it as Farutz. Farutsu and Faatsu doesn't emphasize the Z is my problem. Meh, you're probably right. Still got a LOT to learn.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, I think I'm ready to head into the Rift/Void. I have a legendary weapon for everyone (though my MK is using Enhancer), the Magic Lamp, Flare, all the bard songs, three pairs of Hermes Sandals, and a Reflect Ring. I think I'll be fine without getting more rings (I beat the fucker at the top of the Fork Tower without them so I feel like I can handle anything) but you guys know best. Anything else I should get before I go?

edit: yes I have the Chicken Knife but why would I run from things when I can nuke them?

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 9, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OzFactor posted:

edit: yes I have the Chicken Knife but why would I run from things when I can nuke them?

Because it's a better weapon than the Enhancer by a country mile? :eng101:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Yeah but I'd have to run 200 more times to get it to do that much damage. I'd rather just have my MK cast -agas. Running away 200 times without an emulator fast-forward is not a small time investment.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Vil posted:

Halicarnassus is near a save point and is piss easy, and Gorgimeras are reasonably common. Unless my math is failing me, the odds of a successful Aegis Shield steal are 1.5%. Not ideal by any means, but not that high, and you only need one, and the payoff is a Dancer with an Aegis Shield.

Though honestly you could just give the Berserker a Flame/Ice Shield and be fine anyway, so whatevs. I'd only do it if you were crazy enough to fight Shinryu.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Perhaps... I'm by no means an expert, but I read it as Farutz. Farutsu and Faatsu doesn't emphasize the Z is my problem. Meh, you're probably right. Still got a LOT to learn.

Well, let's break this down logically. If Butz in Japan becomes Bartz in America, then obviously if his name in English is Fartz, his name in Japanese would be フーツ, or fuu-tsu/Futz.

tl;dr: just futz it and you'll be fine :v:

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

StrangeAeon posted:

....!

Even should I end with 4 Berserkers, I shall persevere in gratitude for this.

You can rest easy (somewhat). Unless you're going Chaos, the most Berserkers you can have is 3 - they're only assigned to the Water, Fire and Earth Crystals.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Trasson posted:

Funny story: I had that ability on my first run's Dancer Lenna last year. Thanks to the Aegis Shield, she was the only one that lived through Neo's first Almagest and got everyone back on their feet within a few rounds. If she hadn't blocked it, that would've been a party wipe (she only had around 1000 HP). She also blocked the second one (though on that one Knight Bartz also lived, he only died to the first one because he had low HP) for kicks, and I brought that section down before he could get off a third.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

KataraniSword posted:

Well, let's break this down logically. If Butz in Japan becomes Bartz in America, then obviously if his name in English is Fartz, his name in Japanese would be フーツ, or fuu-tsu/Futz.

tl;dr: just futz it and you'll be fine :v:

フーツ it is then. woo
e:

Ready to go!

Bargain bin Laden fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 10, 2015

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I did a .chaos in the IRC earlier. My jobs were: Dancer/Ranger/Dancer/Red Mage. I've decided to embark on this journey; I just finished the Ancient Library and things are easy so far. I don't expect it to last.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I'm antsy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

My body is ready.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Signed up with #regchaos and #berserkerrisk. Ready to do my part for berserkerkind! :patriot:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Hype for the approaching Fiesta has me playing FF6 for the first time. I'm realizing that the SNS era might have been a lot weirder than I knew. So far today, I've seen:

Gau solo Kefka
Terra make like Team Rocket and blast off again
Locke take an unexpected turn down Holy poo poo Dude, That's hosed Up lane.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

StrangeAeon posted:

Hype for the approaching Fiesta has me playing FF6 for the first time. I'm realizing that the SNS era might have been a lot weirder than I knew. So far today, I've seen:

Gau solo Kefka

FF5 is basically the least ridiculous Final Fantasy because it openly accepts that it's a Saturday Morning cartoon as opposed to trying to make it needlessly overwrought. Exdeath has about as much depth as Cobra Commander, the worst family problems around are dead parents, and there's a protagonist named ButzFartz.

FF6 might not have jumped off the deep end of self-aggrandizing wangst yet, but there's still a lot of moments like "I keep my dead girlfriend pickled in some guy's basement" that just make you question what the gently caress the writers were thinking.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

KataraniSword posted:

FF5 is basically the least ridiculous Final Fantasy because it openly accepts that it's a Saturday Morning cartoon as opposed to trying to make it needlessly overwrought. Exdeath has about as much depth as Cobra Commander, the worst family problems around are dead parents, and there's a protagonist named ButzFartz.

I think this is why 1 and 5 have held up for me (2 as well if the gameplay wasn't trash) as I've gotten older while the others haven't. In addition to having more repeatable/variant friendly gameplay, the storytelling is simpler and doesn't try too hard to stretch beyond what it can reasonably accomplish. Every time 4 gets its bi-yearly modernization I like the characters less and less.

I'd really love to see a new ff game designed in the style of 1 or 3 where most/all of your party are nameless and voiceless heroes, I kind of liked the protagonists better when personality and background were implied just through art design and skillsets.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

pretty soft girl posted:

I'd really love to see a new ff game designed in the style of 1 or 3 where most/all of your party are nameless and voiceless heroes, I kind of liked the protagonists better when personality and background were implied just through art design and skillsets.

I would love a new FF game that lets me create my own party. Hell, just give me a remake of FF1 with a couple dozen job options.

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
Is anyone else having a problem linking their stream?

No Berserker risk this year, but I couldn't resist going Chaos. Can't wait!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Maleketh posted:

I would love a new FF game that lets me create my own party. Hell, just give me a remake of FF1 with a couple dozen job options.

I would love this. I bet a talented rom hacker could come up with a patching program to allow a wider set of classes for the original ff1 prior to a new game, though FF1's core ruleset is so simple I don't know how much variety could be implemented.

I do remember a hack of gba ff1 that took out class promotions and used the additional six slots to implement a bunch of hybrid type classes you could pick from the start, like a black magic using tank and other weird stuff like that. Neat stuff.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mr. Bing posted:

Is anyone else having a problem linking their stream?

No Berserker risk this year, but I couldn't resist going Chaos. Can't wait!

It's something that RK has to verify manually, IIRC.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
For those of you wanting to play (for fun) a FFT version of the FJF, here's a ruleset I tested a few times* and I think it makes for an interesting way to play FFT:

1. [Insert Name Here] can have any Zodiac sign desired, unless there's official information somewhere on Bartz' birthday.
2. After the Gariland Magic City battle, the original roster of generics is stripped naked and kicked out of the party so I can hire Lenna, Faris, Galuf and Krile in the soldier office. You are not allowed to have anyone else in your roster except temporarily to take their equipment (save Mustadio--he is needed for the sidequests); you may also not have any monsters in your party save Boco unless you roll MONSTER RISK.
2a. If you hate yourself, you hire on a first come first served basis instead of trying for more optimal stats and/or Zodiac compatibility.
2b. If you SUPER hate yourself, hold off on getting party members until the approximate time that you "meet" them (because I'm lazy, I've yet to plot out where in terms of FFT what would correspond to FFV plot).
3. Everybody stays Squire (or Chemist) and are allowed to learn action/reaction/support/move abilities until the first job class (Archer, Knight, Priest, Wizard) is rolled.
3a. Guest characters are exempt from FJF rules.
3b. Glitches/exploits (such as the JP scroll glitch, the item duplication glitch, the degenerator trap exploit, etc.) can be abused if you want; disabling usage of them is considered additional challenge.
4. Once Chapter 2 begins, roll your new job from Monk, Oracle, Thief, Time Mage, or MONSTER RISK (at least one of your party members--I suggest Galuf--is replaced with Boco and/or whatever Chocobos are hatched from Boco; whoever you replace in this matter is allowed to participate in random battles to grant spillover JP, but must sit on the sidelines in story battles)
4a. Grind JP to unlock job classes using Propositions whenever possible; you may not spend JP earned in prerequisite job classes that were not legal jobs.
4b. To replicate a "truer" BERSERKER RISK effect, set Monster AI to "Fight for Life" and randomly select an initial target. This is considered additional challenge and is optional.
5. Chapter 3 jobs: Geomancer, Lancer, Mediator, Summoner, or MONSTER RISK.
5a. From this chapter forward, if additional MONSTER RISK slots are rolled, you may unlock Mediator and learn the Invite ability and Train support ability in order to get non-Chocobo Monsters to join your party. However, no other abilities may be learned unless you roll Mediator in this chapter.
6. Chapter 4 jobs: Bard/Dancer (considered one glass because of gender restrictions), Ninja, Samurai, or MONSTER RISK.
6a. For additional challenge (optional), consider Bard and Dancer as separate classes--that means that only the male characters can use Bard and only Females can use Dancer.
7. "Chapter 5" jobs are: Chemist, Squire, Calculator, and MONSTER RISK. (There is no Chapter 5 in terms of plot. However, if you wish to unlock a fifth job class, you may do so once Murond Death City has been cleared, and you MUST finish all of the sidequest content--Goland Coal City, Nelvaska Temple, Zarghidas Trade City, Deep Dungeon, and the PSP extra battles, if playing that version--in addition to beating the game if you do so.)
7a. Optional: Mime is also a legal job for "Chapter 5", and if playing the PSP version, Dark Knight and Onion Knight.
7b. Worker 8, Reis (Dragon Form), and Byblos are considered legal monsters for MONSTER RISK in “Chapter 5”. To keep Reis as a dragon, have Beowulf in the party until Nelvaska Temple is completed, then dismiss him without leaving the area. For additional (optional) challenge, disregard this addendum.

*Quick postmortem on my runs, for those of you who care to read them:
Run 1: Priest/Thief/MONSTER RISK/Dancer (+Bard)/Calculator
- Chapter 1 was not too bad until I had to fight Algus, then I realized I was not going to even live unless I focus fire on him, so I grinded until I unlocked Holy. Nuking things from orbit would be my bread and butter for boss battles from that point forward.
- Thief makes grinding levels (and stealing other things) so much faster.
- Monsters are terrible, even without the additional challenge. They don't have the benefit of getting extra gear, and even things like Minotaurs were not hitting hard enough to live through story battles without massive over-grinding (which I was trying to avoid).
- I developed an everlasting hatred for Dancer/Bard on this run. None of their gimmicks were any useful in boss battles--they were not hitting hard enough to make the damage worth it, and the status ailments were not procing enough times before the bosses would catch up to them and murder them horribly.
- Being forced to have one Calculator on the party was also murder, since they were so goddamn slow. And the grind was getting to me, so I gave up somewhere around unlocking Deep Dungeon.
Run 2: Archer/Time Mage/Mediator
- Surprisingly, Archer wasn't completely useless to draw as a job class. Having Arrow Guard meant I didn't need to grind too much in Chapter 1 to survive Dorter Trade City, and having Short Charge means synergy with Time Mage. (And access to Demi trivialized boss battles forever.)
- I was salivating in anticipation to abuse Talk Skills, but real life happened and I didn't have enough time to dedicate to playing this game (and I got a little bit burned out from that much FFT in one go). I might try again in the future.

dotchan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 28, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

StrangeAeon posted:

Gau solo Kefka

Gau with certain Rage skills is broken as hell. It's been awhile since I played FF6 so I forget which ones are truly broken now.

e: vvvv Nobody's more broken than Relm since she can actually break the game and IIRC certain ways of breaking the game with her can permanently gently caress up your cartridge.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

StrangeAeon posted:

Gau solo Kefka

Nightshade Rage.

Gau solos EVERYTHING.

He's the second most broken character in the entirety of Final Fantasy, and that's only because Gogo can do it too and something else.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, the Nightshade Rage was just fantastically terrible. I need to go reread the Let's Break of FFVI, it's the best thing that game has ever produced.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

theshim posted:

Yeah, the Nightshade Rage was just fantastically terrible. I need to go reread the Let's Break of FFVI, it's the best thing that game has ever produced.

Is that a SA thread?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

It's an LP done by elephantgun, you can read it in the archive (it's pretty good)

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

KataraniSword posted:

FF6 might not have jumped off the deep end of self-aggrandizing wangst yet, but there's still a lot of moments like "I keep my dead girlfriend pickled in some guy's basement" that just make you question what the gently caress the writers were thinking.

FF6 will always be my favorite because it has the best villain in the series. Kefka is the Joker in all but name and it's amazing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GreatRedSpirit posted:

It's an LP done by elephantgun, you can read it in the archive (it's pretty good)

This is a great LP.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ComposerGuy posted:

FF6 will always be my favorite because it has the best villain in the series. Kefka is the Joker in all but name and it's amazing.

Interestingly, from everything I've seen from translators talking about the game, Joker Kefka is entirely a Ted Woolsey creation. In Japanese he almost seems like he's a little closer to Dilandau from Escaflowne.

ultrafilter posted:

This is a great LP.

It still warms my heart that both FF6 and the original Pokemon both had their stupid playground rumors validated in-game over a decade after people stopped bragging about it, thanks to the magic of people being able to pull apart their code in emulation.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I played through the Japanese transliterations of FF4 and FF6 as a warmup for the FJF. The Japanese script for FF4 is a vast improvement on the American script, but the one for FF6 is bad, stodgy, and dull. Woolsey may not have done a good translation job but he made the FF6 script very enjoyable.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Also, since the end of that LP, it has been discovered that you can actually get General Leo into the WoR by abusing the warp back to World of Balance trick, then taking the Nikeah ferry back into the World of Ruin. Apparently there's even a way to keep him in your party after a 'choose your party' menu that I'm not entirely clear on.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Brannock posted:

I played through the Japanese transliterations of FF4 and FF6 as a warmup for the FJF. The Japanese script for FF4 is a vast improvement on the American script, but the one for FF6 is bad, stodgy, and dull. Woolsey may not have done a good translation job but he made the FF6 script very enjoyable.

For anybody who wants to see a comparison in the FF4 Japanese and English script Tomato has been doing a side by side comparison of them on his site, Legends of Localization. He even covers some changes made in FF4 Easy Type and sometimes goes into a fan translation and where they did a good job and where they added from whole cloth. It's not complete and so far goes up to the Tower of Zot but it's still a great read if it piques your (general your) interest.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alabaster White posted:

Also, since the end of that LP, it has been discovered that you can actually get General Leo into the WoR by abusing the warp back to World of Balance trick, then taking the Nikeah ferry back into the World of Ruin. Apparently there's even a way to keep him in your party after a 'choose your party' menu that I'm not entirely clear on.

I really need to know how to do this. The 13 year old me demands his time spent looking for TNT and Golden Leaves and other poo poo be not in vain. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Brannock posted:

but he made the FF6 script very enjoyable.

as a professional (video games) translator this is Job Number One*

Ted Woolsey's translations were good for the time they were in hth

edit: * - note: not actually job #1 for legal, etc. translators, however. contracts don't need to read like the Joker.

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 11, 2015

• Locked thread