Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Magog posted:

That is pretty dang high, I too listen to many podcasts and use beyondpod, I'm up to 17.37GB over the last month. I think I'd have to be listening to podcasts in my sleep to have that much data, except I do usually go to sleep with a playlist playing so I'm not sure what the cause might be for you.

The count could just be wrong...

Maybe video podcasts, maybe you subscribe to some backwards rear end podcast that pushes 300mb episodes?

Not sure what beyondpod does when you stream either - any chance it downloads and fully buffers again every time you play an episode via stream.

How many subscriptions do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The Dark One posted:

Uh, I listen to a lot of podcasts, but there's no way low-bitrate mp3s could be responsible so so much data usage. Anyone know what could be causing this?

I listen to a lot of podcasts and typically hit 17-20 GB per month. Maybe look at the file sizes for episodes and see if someone is pushing huge files?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Looking for a couple of app recommendations.

First one is for some kind of shopping tracker, where I can keep count of what I have in my cupboards, when they expire and stuff so I know what I need if I ever decide to go shopping when I'm already out.

Second is for some kind of network whitelist. I've been on holiday recently, needing to keep whatsapp on to meet up with friends. I've been stumped by surprise downloads and certain apps using network access when I didn't want them to, was wondering if there was some app that I could configure that would only let whatsapp, maps and whatever else I need at the moment to access the network and block it from everything else. Preferably something that doesn't need root, since that would stop be from using my halifax banking app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

sharktamer posted:

Looking for a couple of app recommendations.

First one is for some kind of shopping tracker, where I can keep count of what I have in my cupboards, when they expire and stuff so I know what I need if I ever decide to go shopping when I'm already out.

Second is for some kind of network whitelist. I've been on holiday recently, needing to keep whatsapp on to meet up with friends. I've been stumped by surprise downloads and certain apps using network access when I didn't want them to, was wondering if there was some app that I could configure that would only let whatsapp, maps and whatever else I need at the moment to access the network and block it from everything else. Preferably something that doesn't need root, since that would stop be from using my halifax banking app.

No idea about the first thing, but if you're on any sort of modern version of Android you should be able to restrict an apps background data usage. You can set an app to never download things in the "background (when you're not actively using the app) somewhere in the data settings area of your phone.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Best app to download youtube videos?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Going from TouchDown to Nine is like going from being punched in the dick to having sex with an angel.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

sharktamer posted:

Along these lines, is there something that will tell me what is using my GPS?

It seems to pop up all the drat time, no matter what I'm doing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there a way in the native Android mail app to create rules? Or an alternative app that will work? Looking to selectively forward some mails from my Comcast account to my Gmail account. Specifically, Bing Rewards emails sent to that address is like to get bounced to my Gmail, but i rarely check that account since it's 975 years old and is 99% spam, but unfortunately i can't use my Gmail account for Bing rewards since it got banned a few years ago.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Medullah posted:

Is there a way in the native Android mail app to create rules? Or an alternative app that will work? Looking to selectively forward some mails from my Comcast account to my Gmail account. Specifically, Bing Rewards emails sent to that address is like to get bounced to my Gmail, but i rarely check that account since it's 975 years old and is 99% spam, but unfortunately i can't use my Gmail account for Bing rewards since it got banned a few years ago.

Not sure if Bing Rewards is wise to this, but you can just add/remove/move around periods in your gmail address and they'll automatically be forwarded to your gmail address. So emails sent to what.ever@gmail.com, w.hatever@gmail.com, etc., will all go to whatever@gmail.com. Might be worth a shot.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm having an issue with the paid "Autodesk Sketchbook" app that maybe someone has some insight into.

If I create a project at maximum resolution (I think it's something like 1600x2400) and go to share it as a image file, I'm finding it reduces it down to 1/2 that size as a PNG file. I've never noticed this before now but going back though some shared images from earlier this year it seems like projects that I shared a final image of didn't have this problem while newer ones from the last few months do.

It's been sort of frustrating as with higher resolutions I sort of like to just duplicate/hide a previous layer and keep working so I can have a more or less unaffected image of I'm about to make a change I'm not sure I'm going to like. When I was hitting the last layer, I would just share the image and open a new project with that image, not realizing until now that almost all of them have been about 1/4 the resolution I was previously working with.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

sharktamer posted:

Out of Milk has a pantry option for spices and condiments, but it seems that it's not recommended these days because the syncing has gone to poo poo.
I'm using Our Groceries now and the syncing is miles better, but I don't use it for pantry items yet. I assume you can make a grocery list with pantry items and expiration dates to aid you in that area.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone having issues with apps re-enabling themselves? Friend of mine disabled Gmail and it reenabled and sent him an e-mail from Google about the new account center. He's swearing up and down that Google themselves reenabled it but I'm pretty sure that's not what happened. He's using the S5 if that matters.

Honestly, I think it's a Samsung issue but I wanted to know if there's a fix. :v:

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
I've got a bunch of photos uploaded to google drive.

How do I move these out of my drive and into the google "upload as high quality" thingy in the Photos app?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Spekkio posted:

I've got a bunch of photos uploaded to google drive.

How do I move these out of my drive and into the google "upload as high quality" thingy in the Photos app?

The way you'd think, copy them out of your local Drive folder and into the uploader. Once they're uploaded and in the "Google Photos" folder of your Drive you can delete the originals. If you don't have Drive space to do that, move them out of your Drive to a local folder first, then upload them.

e: Stupid autocorrect.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 9, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Medullah posted:

Can't you set the Comcast account to forward the emails? Why do you need an app to do it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Can't you set the Comcast account to forward the emails? Why do you need an app to do it?

You used to be able to just have GMail directly grab mail from POP3 accounts. Can you not still do that?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uthor posted:

....ummmm holy crap I'm dumb.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm trying to pull off highlights from the Kindle App that I did on a personal document but can't seem to figure this out. Supposedly, the highlights should be available on the https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights website but none of the ones that I've done are available. Alternatively, there should be a clippings.txt file in the /documents folder on the Tablet/Phone that I can pull off, but that's nowhere to be found either. I don't even have the /documents folder. Any suggestions on how to pull off these highlights? I know they're out there as when I open up the app on my Phone I see the highlights that I made on the tablet.

Thanks!

Charlotte of Oz
Feb 26, 2015

gay mer girl
On my old phone, I kept a checkbook/finances tracker called PocketMoney, that appears to be no more (the creator died.) Can anyone recommend an app that is similar and that an import my old dataset?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Charlotte of Oz posted:

On my old phone, I kept a checkbook/finances tracker called PocketMoney, that appears to be no more (the creator died.) Can anyone recommend an app that is similar and that an import my old dataset?

Can levelmoney do it? I use YNAB personally. Those are the only 2 finance apps I know about.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Has anyone had success with group messaging when using hangouts to use SMS?

I have a google voice number that I'm recieving SMS for through hangouts and I have the group messaging check box marked in the settings but when I recieve group SMS I only receive them from the sender, and when I respond it only goes to the sender and not the group. I also cannot select more than one recipient to send text messages to through hangouts.

To clarify, I am not trying to send texts through my carrier's phone number. I want to send texts through my google voice number, through hangouts.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

madkapitolist posted:

I have a google voice number that I'm recieving SMS for through hangouts and I have the group messaging check box marked in the settings but when I recieve group SMS I only receive them from the sender, and when I respond it only goes to the sender and not the group. I also cannot select more than one recipient to send text messages to through hangouts.

To clarify, I am not trying to send texts through my carrier's phone number. I want to send texts through my google voice number, through hangouts.

Pretty sure group messaging with Google Voice doesn't work.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

madkapitolist posted:

As far as I can tell it doesn't work.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

madkapitolist posted:

Group messaging "works" but it doesn't actually work. Before the hangouts transition, you would have no idea that you received a group message, since it was technically an MMS and GV didn't support that.

Now MMS works, but group messaging works the way you described it. You can't create one, and you can only respond to the sender. I have no idea why it has to be that way. It sucks, and makes me wonder why I'm stupid enough to keep using GV. :shrug:

It's definitely an improvement over the way things used to be, but it's not good by any stretch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google themselves says don't use hangouts for google voice group SMS. So, don't.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6188337?hl=en

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Is there an app that I can use to take a picture of Japanese text and have it translated for me?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Oh, drat it, I ported my main number over to google voice since I'm on the tmobile nerd plan and I'm making calls over 4g on hangouts dialer as well....

Am I pretty much screwed (until GV finally supports this) when it comes to group messaging then?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

jyrka posted:

Is there an app that I can use to take a picture of Japanese text and have it translated for me?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.translate

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

madkapitolist posted:

Oh, drat it, I ported my main number over to google voice since I'm on the tmobile nerd plan and I'm making calls over 4g on hangouts dialer as well....

Am I pretty much screwed (until GV finally supports this) when it comes to group messaging then?

It appears so. I would port my number out of google voice but I just can't make the effort, oh well.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
If I port my number back to my carrier, can I still make calls with hangouts dailer using only data instead of minutes? Not being able to use group messaging is just about annoying enough to justify paying the $20 to port it back over.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

bull3964 posted:

Google themselves says don't use hangouts for google voice group SMS. So, don't.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6188337?hl=en

You really don't have a choice unless I'm misunderstanding something.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

jyrka posted:

google translate will do this in real time, its really freaky. It even tries to match fonts.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
I started using Google Voice so I wouldn't have to use Sprint's ad filled voicemail app. When I did that I was using Textra but all of my messages started only showing notifications in Hangouts even though I hadn't activated SMS on it so I figured I might as well just use Hangouts. But now it turns out I can't text my friend from Puerto Rico because I can only text people from "US and Canada". I tried to switch it to SMS and it shows it as sent but also shows a duplicate sent through Google Voice. He just doesn't receive any of my texts. I even tried sending them through Textra to see if using a third party app would work but nothing seems to. Anybody know why this could be happening?

To make matters funnier, my friend is in town for an internship with Google.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I've already tried unlinking SMS.

Cerevisiae fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 10, 2015

Charlotte of Oz
Feb 26, 2015

gay mer girl

kri kri posted:

Can levelmoney do it? I use YNAB personally. Those are the only 2 finance apps I know about.

YNAB wants sixty bucks from me and Level Money seems to not like that I live in Canada. Is the sixty for YNAB really worth it?

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Charlotte of Oz posted:

YNAB wants sixty bucks from me and Level Money seems to not like that I live in Canada. Is the sixty for YNAB really worth it?

There's a very good chance it'll go on sale during the Steam sale sometime in the next week or so for $15. That said, it's a system that has you manually enter everything (which is part of its philosophy), whereas apps like Mint and Level Money automatically look at your CC/bank statements to see your spending.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Charlotte of Oz posted:

YNAB is really good, but it's built around the desktop app really.

Though that will probably change soon...

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

YNAB is really good, but it's built around the desktop app really.

Though that will probably change soon...

What do you mean? Are they updating their apps or something? Their apps have been pretty good for me as I just use them to enter in transactions, and the GPS feature is nice so it knows where I am.

Pretty sure I got ynab on steam sale, just put it on your wishlist and get an email or whatever.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Charlotte of Oz posted:

I got a great deal on YNAB (I want to say around $35, but don't quote me) by buying it from this goon and his Cheap Steam Games thread. Once you buy YNAB and install it from your Steam library, you can then retrieve your product key from the application and use it to activate an instance of YNAB that you can download from http://www.youneedabudget.com.

As for whether it's worth it, check out the methodology videos and see if it's something that appeals to you: http://www.youneedabudget.com/method

kri kri posted:

What do you mean? Are they updating their apps or something? Their apps have been pretty good for me as I just use them to enter in transactions, and the GPS feature is nice so it knows where I am.

Pretty sure I got ynab on steam sale, just put it on your wishlist and get an email or whatever.
There's talk of a cloud-based successor in the works, something probably involving a monthly subscription. The YNAB people are infamous for being hush-hush about future releases, though, so there's not much else to go off of other than "it's something we're considering".

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I finally have a new phone. What app do you use for instagram and twitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The next steam sale starts this Thursday, so chances are good that YNAB will be $15 for a day sometime in the next 2 weeks.

e: oops, didn't see Casyl's post

• Locked thread