Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

To the contrary, if nobody wants to fly then regionals will have to pay a reasonable wage for people to actually consider going through the training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don't want them in my profession because they're dumb and stupid.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Don't blame the kids. You probably didn't do a barrel roll, light the burners, eject, or do anything interesting.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Two Kings posted:

Kids couldn't be less interested in learning to fly airplanes these days. The piloting profession is screwed.

Kids these days. Rabble rabble.

I'm 30 and have to listen to that kind of bullshit from old washed up controllers at my job. I'm a kid.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

overdesigned posted:

Passed my checkride, I'm now a (NATOPS) instrument-qualified pilot. :feelsgood:

Congrats. Updated OP.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Ferret King posted:

Kids these days. Rabble rabble.

I'm 30 and have to listen to that kind of bullshit from old washed up controllers at my job. I'm a kid.

These kids were constantly grabbing the throttle to idle and turning off the radio while we were in the air after I told them we weren't going to do that again 10+ times. This kid was 13 years old, almost in high school. This was more than "darn kids" stuff.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Don't blame the kids. You probably didn't do a barrel roll, light the burners, eject, or do anything interesting.

Yeah, Rolo you square. When I was 12 I went on an airplane ride and we totally did a barrel roll. It was awesome, why can't you be that awesome?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
So with everything that has happened with those helicopter schools abusing the GI Bill, I guess the VA is being a bit flakey with using the GI Bill for flight school, leading to the flight school here no longer taking on GI Bill students.

This leaves me in a bit of a conundrum for getting my CFI ticket.

That said, does anyone have any recommendations on where to get flight school loans? I'd rather not do it with a signature loan if I can help it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

e.pilot posted:

So with everything that has happened with those helicopter schools abusing the GI Bill, I guess the VA is being a bit flakey with using the GI Bill for flight school, leading to the flight school here no longer taking on GI Bill students.

This leaves me in a bit of a conundrum for getting my CFI ticket.

That said, does anyone have any recommendations on where to get flight school loans? I'd rather not do it with a signature loan if I can help it.
I know a few local community colleges near me offer full flight school programs (apparently very well regarded as well), and because you're enrolled at the CC you're able to use your GI bill + federal financial aid. Might be worth looking at.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SeaborneClink posted:

I know a few local community colleges near me offer full flight school programs (apparently very well regarded as well), and because you're enrolled at the CC you're able to use your GI bill + federal financial aid. Might be worth looking at.

I'm entering my last year of college at my school this fall, so moving is kind of out of the question at this point unfortunately.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

e.pilot posted:

I'm entering my last year of college at my school this fall, so moving is kind of out of the question at this point unfortunately.
I wasn't suggesting you move here, rather only suggesting to investigate similar options near you.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
When going in for a new medical do you have to disclose things like dentist visits or eye doctor visits?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

When going in for a new medical do you have to disclose things like dentist visits or eye doctor visits?

According to the FAA, the answer is no for routine checkups or exams.

The FAA Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners posted:

Routine dental, eye, and FAA periodic medical examinations and consultations with an employer-sponsored employee assistance program (EAP) may be excluded unless the consultations were for the applicant's substance abuse or unless the consultations resulted in referral for psychiatric evaluation or treatment

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

azflyboy posted:

According to the FAA, the answer is no for routine checkups or exams.

Thanks. Where did you find that? I've been searching the FAA site and don't see that

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

Thanks. Where did you find that? I've been searching the FAA site and don't see that

The FAA doesn't make it super easy to find, but here's the link to the index for the full Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners. It tends to be somewhat dense (it's written for doctors, not pilots), but there's some good information in there.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

azflyboy posted:

The FAA doesn't make it super easy to find, but here's the link to the index for the full Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners. It tends to be somewhat dense (it's written for doctors, not pilots), but there's some good information in there.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/

Much obliged

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SeaborneClink posted:

I wasn't suggesting you move here, rather only suggesting to investigate similar options near you.

oh lol :tipshat:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody here receive instruction at
Weltzien Skypark in Wadsworth, OH?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rolo posted:

The flight school I work for part time sponsored a week long camp that I decided to help with because sometimes teaching kids about airplanes is fun (if they're interested.)

Most horrible experience of my career was flying with a 10 and 13 year old that didn't give two shits about anything I had to say, even when safety was an issue and I needed them to listen. These kids were absolute bastards and I'll quit before I set foot in an airplane with either of them again. I had to park 20 yards out and pull the plane up to the hangar because one of them wouldn't stop kicking the brakes on loving purpose the whole taxi back at a loving class c airport. What the hell god dammit argh gently caress.

I considered throwing my hat into the ring for a similar thing in my area, though I'm not CFI so I wouldn't be doing the rides. Things like this made me apprehensive.

The summer after Freshman year in college, the Boy Scout troop my dad ran needed to do an aviation merit badge, so I created and helped give two aviation days for his troop and another. It started with a short lecture (e- complete with me wearing my Pilot Mill uniform), followed by three stations; kids rotated between a 172 walkaround done by myself, a 15 minute ride in a 172 with a CFI, and some hands-on time with a yoke and pedals and FS2004 monitored by my dad, who had a basic understanding of how to fly and a fascination with instrument flying. (The second group's event was done at a church, so we substituted something for the 172 ride.) I was so excited that I did the drat thing with a cold and wore my voice out to the point I couldn't talk the next day.

The first group was great. The second was like herding cats.

e- Mentioning my pilot mill uniform reminds me- My first lesson in Private was ten years ago tomorrow. On top of that (and totally unplanned), I went on a EAA Young Eagles ride on June 10th ten years before THAT. :toot:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 10, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I remember going on a Young Eagles flight when I was 13 or 14. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that there are kids that age that would act with such utter disrespect, given a similar opportunity. I can't even begin to understand that.

The parents involved probably deserve a sound beating.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Jealous Cow posted:

Anybody here receive instruction at
Weltzien Skypark in Wadsworth, OH?

Used to be local to them, did ground school there. I trained at nearby 3G3, which used to be similar in price but with a longer runway. You will learn how to do short field pretty well at Skypark, which can benefit you later on for sure.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

PT6A posted:

I remember going on a Young Eagles flight when I was 13 or 14. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that there are kids that age that would act with such utter disrespect, given a similar opportunity. I can't even begin to understand that.

The parents involved probably deserve a sound beating.

I was at a fly-in once and I was talking to the owner of an Extra 300L while he was letting kids sit in the plane. Most of them would just sit there and maybe gingerly touch the stick, but this one kid got in and started wailing on the stick like he was in a dogfight. The owner was like OK! HA HA HA time to go!! and shooed the kid out. I can understand a kid not having any knowledge of how to act in a cockpit of a stationary aircraft but when you're talking about intentionally messing with flight controls and radios during flight I can no longer comprehend it.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 10, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, a semi-autonomous quadcopter with a LIDAR scanner, and a 4K camera might mean mechanics won't have to do scratch and dent inspections at EasyJet, anymore.

http://goo.gl/FIp6LZ

Pretty cool, if they actually go through with it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What 3d resolution do you need for that kind of inspection anyways? What's usually called LIDAR isn't typically used for inspection.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

What 3d resolution do you need for that kind of inspection anyways? What's usually called LIDAR isn't typically used for inspection.

I'd imagine sub-thirty-second of an inch would be ideal, but of course the more precise, the better. Those kinds of inspections are generally done visually by humans, from a foot or two away, so if you can approximate that, you're golden. You're searching for dents, nicks, burrs, scratches, etc, not tiny stress cracks or anything. They're generally conditional inspections, done after a bird strike, or after a ramper prangs a luggage cart or catering truck off the side of the airplane. They're also a first-step type of inspection, IE: You hit a bird, and it makes a dent that gets caught by the dude with a flashlight. You measure it, and find that the dent is ~0.150 inches deep, which exceeds the limit in the aircraft maintenance manual, so you bring out the dye penetrant and eddy-current guys, who do a full evaluation of the damage. You're not expecting that first inspection to fully evaluate any damage, just alert you to potential problems.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

poo poo, 30 thou? Whats the required inspection time for an entire aircraft?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

poo poo, 30 thou? Whats the required inspection time for an entire aircraft?

That's the thing, I've never seen it done to the whole airframe at once. Its normally either done incrementally during a heavy check, or done on-condition, where you inspect the impact location after a bird or GSE strike. Being able to do the entire aircraft in the amount of time it would normally take to set up the man-lifts would be a rather large advantage. It'd be great for contract maintenance facilities, as well.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

So I know the CPL is going back to VFR, and that the 2 100nm/2hr xc with CFI must be under VFR. Is there any reason that the long 300nm solo xc can't be done under IFR? If I do it under IFR will it not count toward the CPL?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I live right in the backyard of a mostly GA airport (KLWM) and they offer flight school in a Cessna 172 with a first flight for $99. Additionally, the airport has IFR should I want to also get instrument rated at some point down the line. This all sounds really good to me but I'd like to save up money for a little while before I dive into getting my PPL. Is there anything I should be doing in the meantime now that I've decided flight school is a Cool and Good thing for me? I would never ever venture so far as to misrepresent a video game, but I've flown flight plans to and from the airport in a 172SP in FSX so many times. Should I be reading a bunch of handbooks and flight guides like posted in the OP or are there other resources I should be taking advantage of in the meantime?

Even a "Yup, the OP is pretty comprehensive" would suffice if that's the answer. I'm excited and eager to start. I'm 19, if that has any effect on what my approach should be.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Keep on being your goony self.

If you want to give yourself a leg up - start reading up on 'airspace' - Use skyvector.com to see what airspace your airport is in. Be sure and find the 'VFR' chart for your airport. Also, study the VFR Legend.

If you can understand your airspace and those really cool big cities around you that have different airspaces, start listening to LiveATC.net for your particular local control tower.

It will be ABSOLUTE gibberish at first, but after a couple days of listening and trying to find appropriate phrases, and with an airport diagram in hand of the airport you're listening to, it will start to make sense.

Radio comms are difficult (but not impossible) for all of my students (including me) when they first start. The ONLY person who never had radio problems was a firefighter who was basically master of the radio.

edit: Also - It cost me 7k to do my PPL in 2009. I can only imagine how long and how expensive it would have been if I didn't have the 7k in my bank account waiting for me to use it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I've been listening to the LiveATC feed for the tower but this airport really only sees about seven or eight departures and arrivals a day, so it's not always convenient to tune in and listen around the times when those planes cross into the airspace. From what I've gathered on the skyvector VFR chart, it's Boston VFR Class D airspace with a ceiling of 2600 feet. Anyone wanting to pass through that space above the ceiling needs to contact Boston APP on 124.4. There's a VOR-DME just northeast of the airport. These things all sound like stuff I've vaguely heard mentioned over the radio, I guess I'll just have to tune in more often.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

13 year old girls posted:

I live right in the backyard of a mostly GA airport (KLWM) and they offer flight school in a Cessna 172 with a first flight for $99. Additionally, the airport has IFR should I want to also get instrument rated at some point down the line. This all sounds really good to me but I'd like to save up money for a little while before I dive into getting my PPL. Is there anything I should be doing in the meantime now that I've decided flight school is a Cool and Good thing for me? I would never ever venture so far as to misrepresent a video game, but I've flown flight plans to and from the airport in a 172SP in FSX so many times. Should I be reading a bunch of handbooks and flight guides like posted in the OP or are there other resources I should be taking advantage of in the meantime?

Even a "Yup, the OP is pretty comprehensive" would suffice if that's the answer. I'm excited and eager to start. I'm 19, if that has any effect on what my approach should be.

Read these:

Airplane Flying Handbook

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

Student Pilot Guide

Supplement with these as needed:

Aeronautical Information Manual

Aviation Weather Advisory Circular

If you like sims do this:

PilotEdge Training Courses (pay for service, paid controllers, some with real world experience)

or this:

VATSIM ZLA Pilot Certification (same as above but on the free network of hobbyist/volunteer controllers)

I've been listening to the LiveATC feed for the tower but this airport really only sees about seven or eight departures and arrivals a day, so it's not always convenient to tune in and listen around the times when those planes cross into the airspace. From what I've gathered on the skyvector VFR chart, it's Boston VFR Class D airspace with a ceiling of 2600 feet. Anyone wanting to pass through that space above the ceiling needs to contact Boston APP on 124.4. There's a VOR-DME just northeast of the airport. These things all sound like stuff I've vaguely heard mentioned over the radio, I guess I'll just have to tune in more often.

More specifically the Boston class Bravo airspace doesn't start until just south of LWM airport, and then only between 4,000ft and 7,000ft. You can get in and out of there without messing with Boston at all (at 3,500ft in that shelf, for example), but I expect your flight training will involve calling them for services at some point (though it doesn't have to). Also, if you needed to get into the Manchester airspace to the Northwest you'd be looking at talking to Boston Approach.

EDIT: Here's a handy guide written by an active AOPA member about ATC communications for VFR aircraft

I notice the author included links in the images for skyvector charts, but had some fixes loaded into his flight plan window on skyvector when he created them. Oops. The links still point to the right places, just with superfluous airports in the flight plan window.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 10, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dalrain posted:

Used to be local to them, did ground school there. I trained at nearby 3G3, which used to be similar in price but with a longer runway. You will learn how to do short field pretty well at Skypark, which can benefit you later on for sure.

I have about 10 hours from last year at a place local to me in Virginia, but didn't feel good about my instructor or the way the place was run. I have family in Cleveland so I'm considering taking two weeks off and slogging through my private and maybe get started on instrument.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I would never ever venture so far as to misrepresent a video game, but I've flown flight plans to and from the airport in a 172SP in FSX so many times. Should I be reading a bunch of handbooks and flight guides like posted in the OP or are there other resources I should be taking advantage of in the meantime?

Read the books Ferret King recommended. I also enjoyed reading this online book when I was starting. As for sims, you are correct to assume that a flight sim is not a substitute for actually flying a plane and there is limited benefit to how much you can prepare yourself. However, one thing I think is useful is to practice flying patterns in a sim, mainly to prepare your brain for the mental overload. Here's my 2 cents as to how it will be helpful:

Once training starts, generally I found that flying straight and level and basic ascent/descent, turns are pretty easy and don't take a lot of practice to feel comfortable with the basics. What really takes a lot of practice is landings, and so you're going to end up doing a lot of them to learn. To practice landings, you'll just be flying a pattern around an airport, which is just flying a circle (more accurately, a square) around an airport and repeatedly landing and taking off again. The critical skills are learning to judge your distance from a point on the ground (1/2 mile from the runway, how far is that?), estimating your glide path and where it will put you, and how to properly control your airspeed and energy during a descent. Even judging how a turn will affect your ground track may seems like obvious stuff but its very foreign at first and just takes practice to get it down. I'd equate it to learning to pull into a parking space when you're first learning to drive a car. Eventually its second-nature but to a new driver, its easy to miss the spot or misjudge the angle you need to pull in. With that said, sim work is NOT really going to help you learn these skills. However, the other thing about flying patterns in a real plane is that when you first start doing them, it seems like there is a lot of stuff to do in a very short time and it can be overwhelming. Climb, turn at the proper altitude, manage trim, adjust your throttle, make your radio calls, do your landing checks, oops its time to land again. Working on these procedures in a sim can be very helpful to train your brain, so the basics of the procedures become familiar and you can actually concentrate on orienting yourself in 3-d space, and feeling how your control inputs affect the plane (when you are actually flying). So, find the proper pattern procedures for your 172, and practice them over and over in a sim. Say your radio calls out loud at every turn in the pattern (You may end up practicing pattern work at an untowered airport nearby, so for example fly to NW Concord in your sim, and do 10+ circuits there, calling every turn: "Concord Traffic, Cessna One Two Three, Downwind Three Five, Concord"). Doing this over and over again will help cope with the mental overload when you actually start flying and make the time you spend in the air more valuable.

The only other basic sim excercise that I think can be helpful for someone brand new is simple airspeed control exercises: Fly up high 3000+ ft AGL, start a descent (maybe throttle 2000 rpm) and just pick a target airspeed and hold it (say 80 knots) for 10 seconds. Then pick a different airspeed thats 5-10 knots higher or lower, establish that speed, trim for it, and then hold it 10 seconds. Just keep doing this for all sorts of various airspeeds between 60-100 knots, so you get comfortable making airspeed adjustments. This is also very helpful when you start doing real landings so your hands react naturally and you aren't thinking too hard about it and can focus on other things.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

I have about 10 hours from last year at a place local to me in Virginia, but didn't feel good about my instructor or the way the place was run. I have family in Cleveland so I'm considering taking two weeks off and slogging through my private and maybe get started on instrument.

Whereabouts in VA? Near DC or not? Also don't expect to get through your PPL in 2 weeks

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rickety Cricket posted:

Whereabouts in VA? Near DC or not? Also don't expect to get through your PPL in 2 weeks

Richmond. I was flying at Hanover.

Even if I don't make it to checkride, I figure I can get 40-50 hours in over 14 days if I can find someone available. There are some pilot mills around here that actually offer that but I'd rather work with a smaller outfit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The comprehensive and all-encompassing PPL reading list.

Everything mentioned above is useful, too, but Langewiesche is simply the best book about the physical act of flying you'll find.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
40-50 hours of training over two weeks is, like, a whole gently caress of a lot, it seems to me. Am I wrong?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It is, but my understanding is that more at once and shorter pauses in between means faster progression. Since it's all about building on previously learned skills the more frequently you fly the less time is spent mastering each skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Jealous Cow posted:

I have family in Cleveland so I'm considering taking two weeks off and slogging through my private and maybe get started on instrument.

Ah, got it. Weather in Ohio can be unpredictable, but you could probably build some time pretty inexpensively in the area, at least by comparison. The new FBO at 3G3 is Premier, which also teaches out of Burke Lakefront (Cleveland) if that's easier for you to get to. Their planes: http://www.premierflightacademy.com/premier-fleet.htm

Note: I never got to fly Premier's stuff, my learning was all with the previous FBO/school. Just pointing out the option. I moved to CA last year after spending 8 years about 10 miles away from Wadsworth.

I do miss those prices, just generally speaking. I think you'll find the instruction will be cheaper at Skypark than with Premier, but you could probably do alright either way. Skypark is just off the highway, which makes the approach from the north interesting but leaves it accessible via car. (The air comes up off said highway and gives you a little "bump" just as you approach.) Do call ahead and discuss your plans with either, as it would be good to know that you'll have an instructor waiting and available for the daytime hours in the quantity you're looking for. The reputation for either is reasonable for instruction, but you'll likely find newer avionics in Premier stuff.

• Locked thread