Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
In on my phone trying to win an argument over the internet here. Can anyone confirm that Sasktel is despised and charges higher rates for worse service than the telcos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Sasktel was generally loved?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Having the licensing payments get to the artist via a different route is literally stealing food from the mouths of children.

You are literally stealing food out of Ms. Turcke's 15 year old daughter's mouth, I hope you're happy :colbert:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Having the licensing payments get to the artist ...

The what get to who? Those dollars belong to Bell too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

37th Chamber posted:

You are literally stealing food out of Ms. Turcke's 15 year old daughter's mouth, I hope you're happy :colbert:

Depends on whether she's chewed it or not.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yeah sasktel and saskatchewan telecomm (also health care, education and insurance) have been positive trendsetters in Canada for as long as I want to bother reading about saskatchewan history.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Mary Ann Turcke posted:

“It has to become socially unacceptable to admit to another human being that you are VPNing into U.S. Netflix, like throwing garbage out your car window — you just don’t do it,”
Remote VPN's are literally throwing your bits all over the pristine countryside of 'merica. Don't be that guy.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

"Mary Ann Turcke" posted:

“It has to become socially unacceptable to admit to another human being that you are VPNing into U.S. Netflix, like throwing garbage out your car window — you just don’t do it,”

I'd like to know how they plan to achieve this, really. Everyone I talk to hates these guys to some degree, far more than people ever hated music or movie producers. The well of sympathy has long been dry and is now full of putrid corpses.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
They have a better chance of reattaching social stigma to marijuana. I'm only sort of kidding when I say Bell is probably going to try subliminal messaging on CP24 to get people to stop circumventing their attempts at total vertical integration.

A wise man once said: "gently caress Rogers, but gently caress Bell."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

They have a better chance of reattaching social stigma to marijuana. I'm only sort of kidding when I say Bell is probably going to try subliminal messaging on CP24 to get people to stop circumventing their attempts at total vertical integration.

A wise man once said: "gently caress Rogers, but gently caress Bell."

Lord God Almighty, if You do exist, please link them with FIFA. I don't care how. I will take back every atheist thing I ever said.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm waiting for them to play the Canadian content angle

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
It has to become socially unacceptable to admit to another human being that you are paying Bell for service, like throwing money out your car window — you just don’t do it.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

8ender posted:

You probably won't have to wait too long.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've watched more Canadian content on Netflix in the past year than I have on any of CTV's channels. That constitutes a single episode of that francophone Montreal cop drama, but whatever.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

less than three posted:

It has to become socially unacceptable to admit to another human being that you are paying Bell for service, like throwing money out your car window — you just don’t do it.

It already is, for young people. At least, more than their dreamland. People who still have Bell or Rogers is like talking to addicts that can't quit, but recognize they should. It's never "I'm so proud of being a RoBoTel customer, and you should be too!". Never.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Rogers has decent plans for landline internet but they do shady things like traffic injection (and lied to me three times before I quit back in 2007). Their cell service is still preferable to Wind where it's usually "works at your house or office but never both".

Bell's bad reputation started with their truly awful outsourced customer service and then really crashed and burned with the UBB fiasco. Even their jobs website is awful; it's the only time I decided I would rather not have the posted job than spend the required effort to complete the application.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Rogers has decent plans for landline internet but they do shady things like traffic injection (and lied to me three times before I quit back in 2007). Their cell service is still preferable to Wind where it's usually "works at your house or office but never both".

Wind works great at my house and at the office, but not at my in-laws'.

On the other hand, the roaming charges on Wind are still less than the long distance charges on Rogers, and the way Rogers defines "long distance" meant that practically every call I made, including those within the same county, were "long distance", so Wind still comes out ahead even if I had to spend all of my time "roaming".

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicFrog posted:

Wind works great at my house and at the office, but not at my in-laws'.

On the other hand, the roaming charges on Wind are still less than the long distance charges on Rogers, and the way Rogers defines "long distance" meant that practically every call I made, including those within the same county, were "long distance", so Wind still comes out ahead even if I had to spend all of my time "roaming".

Rogers has Canada wide calling though?

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

8ender posted:

Ya, great Canadian content, like Corner Gas, Train 48 and

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

XYZ posted:

Ya, great Canadian content, like Corner Gas, Train 48 and

The only two good Canadian shows in the last twenty-five years were Forever Knight, and Little Mosque on the Prairie (S1-3 only). :colbert:

And anyone who so much as thinks the words "Littlest Hobo" or "DeGrassi" will be the first up against the wall. :commissar:

Okay fine; I'll give you Mr. Dressup and Polka Dot Door, too.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 5, 2015

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
TPB but that goes without saying

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Mister Macys posted:

The only two good Canadian shows in the last twenty-five years were Forever Knight, and Little Mosque on the Prairie (S1-3 only). :colbert:

And anyone who so much as thinks the words "Littlest Hobo" or "DeGrassi" will be the first up against the wall. :commissar:

Street Cents.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mederlock posted:

TPB but that goes without saying

Netflix exclusive :D

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
For what it's worth, the SRC has quite a few good series under its belt.

Which goes to say that good content doesn't necessarily come from the Robelus-controlled channels.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Rogers has Canada wide calling though?

They didn't when I was on Rogers, or at least, the plan I was on didn't. This was a few years ago though.

Calls between Guelph and Fergus (~20km) were definitely billed as long distance.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Dark One posted:

Street Cents.

It was hit or miss for me. v:geno:v The episode where they made a solar heating dog house was pretty awesome though.
As long as we agree that all period shows were are terrible.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 6, 2015

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Don't Canadian production team titles count as well? poo poo like V and BSG....

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

As much as I'd like to add X-Files, I'm deliberately avoiding that category.

Especially since they made Highlander: Raven. :barf:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicFrog posted:

They didn't when I was on Rogers, or at least, the plan I was on didn't. This was a few years ago though.

Calls between Guelph and Fergus (~20km) were definitely billed as long distance.

You really shouldn't comment about the state of things from a "few years ago". A lot has changed across most of the wireless landscape in that time frame.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Stanley Pain posted:

You really shouldn't comment about the state of things from a "few years ago". A lot has changed across most of the wireless landscape in that time frame.

Yes, no longer are we paying $25 for 4mb of data per month. Instead we're forced to pay for unlimited voice despite voice usage dropping year over year.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

less than three posted:

Yes, no longer are we paying $25 for 4mb of data per month. Instead we're forced to pay for unlimited voice despite voice usage dropping year over year.

I'm paying $80/month for 10GB/month + unlimited voice and sms. That's not a bad deal. I pay a lot more for 250Mbit + Unlimited Internet though :(

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Who do you have those plans with? Are the prices the result of bundling?

Voice usage dropping isn't even a pricing thing either. I might just be getting old but phone calls have managed to gain some incredibly privileged status where people act like it's a huge inconvenience to actually talk to someone who isn't their closest friend or a family member.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm with Rogers. I agree I barely talk on the phone anymore. I got in on a good deal. Looks like it's about $125 on BYOD.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The Koodo plans always seem to work better for me than the other carriers.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
e: wtf was I doing quoting an old thread page?

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Netflix has been kind to us (an ISP in Ontario). They have relaxed their rules for putting a cache in our data center (3.5 Gb/s instead of 5 peak) and we are getting one soon. We've been pestering them since we started hitting around 2 Gb/s. This is going to free up a lot of our transit bandwidth at peak times. The cache has A LOT of storage apparently. The cache server(s?) have ~160 TB of storage! I wonder how much of Netflix's library would fit on that.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

To be fair, Penny Dreadful is quite decent and should count.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Skandranon posted:

To be fair, Penny Dreadful is quite decent and should count.

Is that a Canadian production? Didn't know. Season 2 has started out really good.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Mister Macys posted:

I'll stab you for not liking the Littlest Hobo.
Corner Gas was also good for a while.
Beachcombers was amazing.
Reboot (cartoon, but amazing).
There's a few others that I haven't had enough coffee to remember yet, but we have produced a lot of quality TV :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Mainframe made Beast Wars too, that was pretty good. Also there's a million shows that are filmed in Vancouver.