Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

apseudonym posted:

Screw it I'll pick it up.

Who would be interested in a goon MP game next weekend? Maybe 12PM PST/ 3 EST / ??? moon time on Saturday?

I work late hours and saturday afternoon (1pm CST to around 7pm CST) is a no go, what about sunday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Welp, one bad gateway error message and a double post later. Should we look in any other particular thread for people who play?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've played steel beasts online before and it involves us getting rolled by the AI because none of us can spot things that show up as a pixel at max zoom.

Also the game is a jerk, it bases the AI strength of your tank on your scoring results in the training sessions.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 22, 2016

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Anyone have thoughts on Forge of Freedom? I'm in the mood for some strategic level American Civil War, but the options look pretty limited and I've never been able to get into the AGEOD games.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Combat Mission Black Sea is quite entertaining. It actually seems a lot more forgiving and less brutal than Shock Force was. The *LASER WARNING* systems that the vehicles get mean they can save themselves so much more easily than in Shock Force, where they would just get blown up instantly with no warning. You get second and third chances to keep your vehicles alive until your smoke rounds run out. The active protection systems that some of the vehicles get means that I'm no longer terrified of ATGMs like I was in Shock Force. I've been a lot more aggressive with my vehicles. Vehicles seem to dominate the battlefield more than before. Javelins are still so nasty though.

From a few pages back:

Michi88 posted:

It was mostly something i came across while doing a campaign mission, where it says to preserve certain buildings that included a large apartment block full of Russian rpg teams and infantry. I ended up using heavy Mg teams to lay into the windows and door until the first floor enemys ran, then cleared from floor to floor. It ended up costing me about half a squad because of how fast the enemy went from cowering to dropping the first guy in the room.

If this is what I think it is, then I just now finished that mission. This is the second mission in the US campaign right? The one where you have to clear all those gigantic concrete Soviet-style apartment blocks? The preserve orders on those buildings only apply for leveling the entire buildings to the ground. Walls don't count, so feel free to blast down walls all you want. You get a whole bunch of breach teams with demo charges for that purpose. Those big concrete buildings are really hard to take down completely.

You get a lot of off-map artillery, including a 155mm battery. Call in heavy fire missions onto those buildings. Just blast the poo poo out of them with tanks, artillery and autocannon fire. It will take a while for the whole building to go down unless it's really small. Small arms fire will suppress infantry, but they will sometimes get up and shoot back at really close enemies even when pinned, just out of self-preservation. You want to blow them up. Only send in assault teams after the whole area has been thoroughly saturated with large quantities of high explosives.

Really, there is only one way to play CM, regardless of what the objectives are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVbVvZqBJM

EDIT:

Chump Farts posted:

Edit: Anyone want to do Commander the Great War? I tried to play single player since I haven't in a while and I was in Berlin by May 1915 on normal. I don't think the AI has kept up with the patches.

Can I try? I've never played the multiplayer for that before. It's been ages since I've played it at all in fact. It was pretty cool though.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 8, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Forge of Freedom? I'm in the mood for some strategic level American Civil War, but the options look pretty limited and I've never been able to get into the AGEOD games.

I think the prevailing opinion from Grey Hunter's LP was that it was too much like Civil War-flavored Risk rather than really capturing the concerns of the era. The most ridiculous thing was The South being able to execute their own Emancipation Proclamation and not suffer any negative effects from it due to some lucky dice rolls.

Nikias
May 6, 2008
Close Combat: Gateway to Caen:
BVFY4-QNHZI-CB3GC

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the prevailing opinion from Grey Hunter's LP was that it was too much like Civil War-flavored Risk rather than really capturing the concerns of the era. The most ridiculous thing was The South being able to execute their own Emancipation Proclamation and not suffer any negative effects from it due to some lucky dice rolls.

My view is that the main problem is attacking armies losing morale for every day of combat, which translates into your skill in detailed battle mode being utterly irrelevant because the only way to win battles is to assemble absolutely overwhelming superiority.

So yeah, the game becomes civil war flavoured Risk as you sit about building camps and mints and mines and trying as hard as possible to avoid fighting battles.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Alchenar posted:

yeah, the game becomes civil war flavoured Risk as you sit about building camps and mints and mines and trying as hard as possible to avoid fighting battles.

Settlers of Chancellorsville

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Alchenar posted:

My view is that the main problem is attacking armies losing morale for every day of combat, which translates into your skill in detailed battle mode being utterly irrelevant because the only way to win battles is to assemble absolutely overwhelming superiority.

So yeah, the game becomes civil war flavoured Risk as you sit about building camps and mints and mines and trying as hard as possible to avoid fighting battles.

Not for me :) - For some reason I nail that battle system. I do like FoF, but I admit its an aquired and personal taste.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Nikias posted:

Close Combat: Gateway to Caen:
BVFY4-QNHZI-CB3GC

Hopefully the person who already nabbed it gives you many thanks!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

Not for me :) - For some reason I nail that battle system. I do like FoF, but I admit its an aquired and personal taste.

Cavalry destroys infantry units. Artillery is just a super powerful infantry unit. You can be absolutely destroying the enemy army but if it's day three then your guys will just up and run by themselves.

The battle system is crazy and makes no sense. It's a game about pumping up a war economy and then grinding your opponent down, with a typically terrible interface for managing that economy and no push factors to get you to fight when you absolutely don't want to.

e: basically ACW strategic games need a 'fight a battle within x turns or get sacked' Lincoln rule for the North to prevent the Federal player from opting immediately for the Grant strategy.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 8, 2015

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Kenzie posted:

Combat Mission Black Sea is quite entertaining. It actually seems a lot more forgiving and less brutal than Shock Force was. The *LASER WARNING* systems that the vehicles get mean they can save themselves so much more easily than in Shock Force, where they would just get blown up instantly with no warning. You get second and third chances to keep your vehicles alive until your smoke rounds run out. The active protection systems that some of the vehicles get means that I'm no longer terrified of ATGMs like I was in Shock Force. I've been a lot more aggressive with my vehicles. Vehicles seem to dominate the battlefield more than before. Javelins are still so nasty though.

From a few pages back:

If this is what I think it is, then I just now finished that mission. This is the second mission in the US campaign right? The one where you have to clear all those gigantic concrete Soviet-style apartment blocks? The preserve orders on those buildings only apply for leveling the entire buildings to the ground. Walls don't count, so feel free to blast down walls all you want. You get a whole bunch of breach teams with demo charges for that purpose. Those big concrete buildings are really hard to take down completely.

You get a lot of off-map artillery, including a 155mm battery. Call in heavy fire missions onto those buildings. Just blast the poo poo out of them with tanks, artillery and autocannon fire. It will take a while for the whole building to go down unless it's really small. Small arms fire will suppress infantry, but they will sometimes get up and shoot back at really close enemies even when pinned, just out of self-preservation. You want to blow them up. Only send in assault teams after the whole area has been thoroughly saturated with large quantities of high explosives.

Really, there is only one way to play CM, regardless of what the objectives are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVbVvZqBJM

EDIT:

Can I try? I've never played the multiplayer for that before. It's been ages since I've played it at all in fact. It was pretty cool though.

What scenario and side do you want?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Chump Farts posted:

Anyone want to do Commander the Great War? I tried to play single player since I haven't in a while and I was in Berlin by May 1915 on normal. I don't think the AI has kept up with the patches.

I'm up for a game. Pick a side/date and PM me the details.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Alchenar posted:

Cavalry destroys infantry units. Artillery is just a super powerful infantry unit. You can be absolutely destroying the enemy army but if it's day three then your guys will just up and run by themselves.

The battle system is crazy and makes no sense. It's a game about pumping up a war economy and then grinding your opponent down, with a typically terrible interface for managing that economy and no push factors to get you to fight when you absolutely don't want to.

e: basically ACW strategic games need a 'fight a battle within x turns or get sacked' Lincoln rule for the North to prevent the Federal player from opting immediately for the Grant strategy.

That's a bummer...I had forgotten about Grey's LP, I knew there was some reason why I hadn't gotten it earlier.

It sucks that there's not a whole lot of options out there for strategic level games that don't involve WWII or AGEOD :sigh:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Michi88 posted:

I work late hours and saturday afternoon (1pm CST to around 7pm CST) is a no go, what about sunday?

Sunday afternoon works. 12 PM PST/ 3 PM EST work? Anyone else?

We can meet in CTS and I can host.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat, the RQ-11 in Black Sea is poo poo at spotting anything. Sent it flying over a field that had 2 teams of entrenched Kornets in it, and it failed to spot a single god drat thing.

In Shock Force, you could at least see trenches etc if you had a visual on that area. I can understand not being able to ID the individual guys from a tiny RQ-11, but it'd be useful if you could see "Oh, there are fortifications/trenches here" so you'd know to keep that area in mind for further investigation.

Are the bigger UAV's better? Hell, can I use an Apache for recon even to try and spot poo poo once the AA threat is dead?

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

apseudonym posted:

Sunday afternoon works. 12 PM PST/ 3 PM EST work? Anyone else?

We can meet in CTS and I can host.

That works for me, also time to get alittle more settled into working controls etc.

Dandywalken posted:

drat, the RQ-11 in Black Sea is poo poo at spotting anything. Sent it flying over a field that had 2 teams of entrenched Kornets in it, and it failed to spot a single god drat thing.

In Shock Force, you could at least see trenches etc if you had a visual on that area. I can understand not being able to ID the individual guys from a tiny RQ-11, but it'd be useful if you could see "Oh, there are fortifications/trenches here" so you'd know to keep that area in mind for further investigation.

Are the bigger UAV's better? Hell, can I use an Apache for recon even to try and spot poo poo once the AA threat is dead?

I have had decent luck with giving them "point" recon orders or only giving them a small area to spot in, but once i give them anything larger then 150-200ft or so it has trouble spotting small stuff.

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 9, 2015

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

SoW: Waterloo trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBXJtWo3mUU

Have they figured out how to make cavalry charges work? That's the key question in my mind. I notice the trailer shies away from actually showing that sort of thing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alikchi posted:

SoW: Waterloo trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBXJtWo3mUU

Have they figured out how to make cavalry charges work? That's the key question in my mind. I notice the trailer shies away from actually showing that sort of thing.

I'm gonna get it when it comes out. The interface improvements look enticing, and looking at their comments on the forums they do have more powerful cavalry.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Would anyone like to play a game of Rise of Prussia? I have no idea what I'm doing beyond the basics of 'move about then get everyone killed because the snow fell unexpectedly'.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Alchenar posted:

Would anyone like to play a game of Rise of Prussia? I have no idea what I'm doing beyond the basics of 'move about then get everyone killed because the snow fell unexpectedly'.

I seem to remember AGEOD having really awkward to use multiplayer, right?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Chump Farts posted:

What scenario and side do you want?

How about a short one, like the 1918 Kaiserschlacht one? I'm not too picky about which side I'm on. Maybe the Entente?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm dipping my toes into Graviteam Tactics once again and just about starting to get it. gently caress me they don't want you to like the game though. Top of the list scenario: play a turn at night because that's fun, also all your troops are exhausted and lacking heavy weapons and there's tanks coming for you.

I don't understand how resupply works.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Alchenar posted:

I'm dipping my toes into Graviteam Tactics once again and just about starting to get it. gently caress me they don't want you to like the game though. Top of the list scenario: play a turn at night because that's fun, also all your troops are exhausted and lacking heavy weapons and there's tanks coming for you.

I don't understand how resupply works.

The whole thing is loving weird. Graviteam felt like most of the things that should be automated werent, because that way people could claim the game demanded micromanagement on an administrative level in line with the game's theme Then the same people could justify alot of strange decisions and AI weirdness with "Well, it isnt meant to be played like a tactical RTS game, you need to trust the AI and acknowledge that people make mistakes under fire".

To a layman, this sounds like its just an excuse for lovely UI with poorly explained mechanics (re-crewing damaged tanks, resupply of units in the field as you mentioned) coupled with a lovely AI. I'm a layman. I live in shame :(

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So my first impression of Scourge of War Waterloo is that the interface has significantly improved- instead of using a toolbar at the bottom to do everything, the mouse interface pretty much does all you need for tactical control. There's still some/a lot of weirdness, though. The AI doesn't do a great job of keeping organized.

Interesting things include being able to detach groups of men from your brigades for skirmishing and then reattach them, moving them freely.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does it run ANY better? Because... You know...

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Do units still hang out all inter penetrated and not bothered by it? Because that drove me crazy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Does it run ANY better? Because... You know...

It ran okay for me except for the fact that it didn't work for whole armies. I could run sandbox scenarios with a corps and it worked okay.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Do units still hang out all inter penetrated and not bothered by it? Because that drove me crazy.

AI units will still sometimes interpenetrate, though units on opposite sides automelee when that's going to happen.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
(There was a bunch of poo poo here, its gone now.)

Edit: Ya I figured out where the DC: WtP turn ended up. I emailed it to the wrong loving dude.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 10, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
PBEM opponents who don't get their turns done in a timely fashion are hip and cool.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I am the worst, i am the one who end up a game for a month and half, the worst grognard.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

way to go, dude

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You know who else is bad at doing their turn? Alchiki.

I looked up the Case Blue reinforcement table. I no longer feel bad at all about what I'm doing to your armies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ElBrak posted:

I am the worst, i am the one who end up a game for a month and half, the worst grognard.

Don't feel too bad - this same game took a 2 week hiatus because I had the turn and didn't realize I was playing Britain until after I left for holiday

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I wonder if PBEM Pride of Nations would be possible without someone going insane

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

corn in the bible posted:

I wonder if PBEM Pride of Nations would be possible without someone going insane

More time between turns is exactly what pon needs.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

uPen posted:

More time between turns is exactly what pon needs.

Relive Queen Victoria's rule in real time. One complete turn per week.

I mean if someone dies of old age the AI can just take over :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

You see that Congress of Europe game or something in the PBEM section of the AGEOD forums? I was in that. Everyone put their orders in the dropbox and it was processed once everyday.