Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Unlucky7 posted:

Don't know if this has been posted, but there is an Honest Game Trailer for Splatoon out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8gZmJLuVAI

I played the two player battle dojo and he's right, it isn't much fun. The person using the Pro Controller is at a huge disadvantage because they don't have the motion controls. Short range weapons pretty much make it impossible to win, so even though you can use the Aerospray, you will lose to the Jet Squelcher 100% of the time because of range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't know why they don't let you use the same Wiimote controls as Metroid Prime (or do they?). I might have actually preferred that over the gamepad.

Donnerberg posted:

Everyone. Pepperoni without pineapple is unthinkable. It'd be like joining a team without dogs.

Team Dog does not officially endorse this nonsense.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Anime Curator posted:

are u a waffle or are u a pancake

I ... I can't be forced to decide this :negative:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's definitely not as laggy as it could be or laggy enough to cause major issues the vast majority of the time. Mostly it's just when me and someone on another team kill each other at the same time and maybe one of us doesn't explode until a couple of seconds later. I still get communication errors more than I'd like, although that could be because I've been paired up with a lot of mostly-Japanese rooms recently.

Anyway I'm really becoming addicted to upgrading all of my gear. Now I've reached level 20 it really helps give short-term goals to keep me playing. I wish all the stores totally filled up with new items every day though (or replaced every Owned item slot with a new one). I'm running out already.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Reiley posted:

Who the gently caress puts pineapple on a pizza?

Piece of poo poo idiots

Pineapples have no place on pizza. I wish it was illegal.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So what actually is the deal with this Team Cat/Dog thing? Is it just like a meta team battle kind of thing for Splatfests for whichever team gets more wins for the durating gets bragging rights or something?

What even are Splatfests otherwise?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Question:

I know they're holding back some features as DLC, has there been any word about taking a friend and you online from the same console ala Mario Kart? Or is the local multiplayer forever stuck on 1v1?

I assume gear gets better as I level up? I'll start seeing stuff with more abilities and slots?

There's no way to swap around the secondary and ultimate abilities that come with weapons? I assume that's the point but I'm curious.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Bown posted:

It's definitely not as laggy as it could be or laggy enough to cause major issues the vast majority of the time. Mostly it's just when me and someone on another team kill each other at the same time and maybe one of us doesn't explode until a couple of seconds later. I still get communication errors more than I'd like, although that could be because I've been paired up with a lot of mostly-Japanese rooms recently.

I definitely notice more lag against Japanese names compared to English ones.
There are also certain weapons which I loathe playing against when I notice lag; Dynamo Rollers and Blasters (especially the players that just constantly squid, jump, shoot, squid)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I honestly doubt the WiiU has the grunt to handle rendering the map twice, not to mention the lack of Super Jump and map the second player would suffer.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Same

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snuffman posted:

Question:

I know they're holding back some features as DLC, has there been any word about taking a friend and you online from the same console ala Mario Kart? Or is the local multiplayer forever stuck on 1v1?

I assume gear gets better as I level up? I'll start seeing stuff with more abilities and slots?

There's no way to swap around the secondary and ultimate abilities that come with weapons? I assume that's the point but I'm curious.

There hasn't been any DLC announced, it's all free stuff at the moment, just released piecemeally instead of all at once
No
Probably
Yes
No

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Macaluso posted:

Piece of poo poo idiots

Pineapples have no place on pizza. I wish it was illegal.

Kill you're self

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Snuffman posted:

There are variant versions of some weapons which have different sets of sub-weapons and specials (probably more to follow, is my guess)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I wonder if at some point they'll add a LAN option. This would be a great team tournament game, but not if everyone needs to rely on Nintendo's servers to function...

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Oxyclean posted:

So what actually is the deal with this Team Cat/Dog thing? Is it just like a meta team battle kind of thing for Splatfests for whichever team gets more wins for the durating gets bragging rights or something?

What even are Splatfests otherwise?

The team that ultimately wins the Splatfest does get a couple extra Super Snails as a reward.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Not a Children posted:

I wonder if at some point they'll add a LAN option. This would be a great team tournament game, but not if everyone needs to rely on Nintendo's servers to function...

Well they had to run it on something during their live E3 presentation...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have they announced if they're ever going to raise the level cap, btw? I'm not all that impatient for it, just curious.

(i'm not good at very many games.)

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

raditts posted:

I don't know why they don't let you use the same Wiimote controls as Metroid Prime (or do they?). I might have actually preferred that over the gamepad.

Without a way to lock on, Splatoon with Metroid Prime's controls would be way too slow at turning to keep up with Wii U gamepads.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Theta Zero posted:

I wonder what'll be next, and how arbitrary the teams will be. Like pizza with or without pineapple, or ripping bandaids off slowly or quickly.

XBox or PS4.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Not a Children posted:

It would greatly surprise me if they ever did that. Because Nintendo.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I will be greatly disappointed if one of the Splatfests isn't Squids vs. Kids

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Note the stages.

The bloodbath is near :unsmigghh:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Bown posted:

Have they announced if they're ever going to raise the level cap, btw?

For what purpose? The only thing locked behind levels was gear, and that was just to pace it out. Unless they introduce 4+ star gear there isn't really a reason to raise the cap.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Christo posted:

Without a way to lock on, Splatoon with Metroid Prime's controls would be way too slow at turning to keep up with Wii U gamepads.

I don't see why moving a wiimote around would be any different or slower than moving a gamepad around. Plus you can adjust sensitivity in the options menu already.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Typical sniper player up there, aiming at nothing, contributing nothing and waiting to be killed

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dreamy Souffle posted:

The team that ultimately wins the Splatfest does get a couple extra Super Snails as a reward.

Nah you get double.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Szmitten posted:

Nah you get double.

Oh dang, really? :aaaaa: That's much more of an increase than I was expecting. Time to splat some chumps on the 20th, I guess!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

So, just to clarify:

dogsicle posted:

you don't choose your cat/dog team until the Splatfest actually starts, right?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anime Curator posted:

are u a waffle or are u a pancake

Why isn't this the option. I'm really conflicted. I love dogs and cats in separate but equal ways; I can't choose between one or the other. But waffles are definitely better than pancakes

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogsicle posted:

So, just to clarify:

Actually no; you do in fact choose the week before. I remember now. People were talking about in the thread how voting in Japan started already, hence the above situation; the voting occurred so people now have their shirts, but the actual Splatfest hasn't happened yet.

They may do something different in NA, admittedly, but based on the Japanese one it seems like the voting happens ahead of time.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Actually no; you do in fact choose the week before. I remember now. People were talking about in the thread how voting in Japan started already, hence the above situation; the voting occurred so people now have their shirts, but the actual Splatfest hasn't happened yet.

They may do something different in NA, admittedly, but based on the Japanese one it seems like the voting happens ahead of time.

The guide says that voting opens 7 days before Splatfest begins, so it's the same for all regions.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

raditts posted:

I don't see why moving a wiimote around would be any different or slower than moving a gamepad around. Plus you can adjust sensitivity in the options menu already.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Prime work by allowing free aim in the middle of the screen and you begin turning when you point off to the side, right? Using the gamepad, you can turn quickly with the right stick while fine tuning your aim with the gyro controls, but with the wiimote + nunchuck you're using your aiming tool to do both one at a time. Didn't matter much in Prime since once you've locked on you'd turn toward your target automatically. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad with the right sensitivity and turn speed but I still doubt it would be viable compared to the standard controls.

EDIT: Rollers would work okay I guess since they mostly don't need aiming.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 10, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure i hadn't missed it, since there are some other inconspicuous things like the Miiverse mailboxes etc.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure i hadn't missed it, since there are some other inconspicuous things like the Miiverse mailboxes etc.

Don't worry, if you play on the day of Splatfest you can't miss it -- it'll force you to vote and the only online match option will be the Splatfest battles.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Finally crawled back up to B- with the Custom Blaster, holy poo poo. Hopefully I can stay here.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Representing Team Cat here. If you're a filthy dog lover don't even talk to me.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Of course it's team cat that resorts to insults about dog lovers and not just the animals in question.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kaethela posted:

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
pineapple on pizza is good, but it's not my favorite.

that said, cats are dumbasses and dogs rule.

• Locked thread