Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Jan posted:

I'm drooling over Kenji's current run of sous vide chicken salad recipes and figure the Father's Day discount is as good a time as any to take the plunge. Just have some basic questions before I do:

How big is the shipped box for the Anova cooker? (i.e.: can I have it delivered to my office and haul it home by bike?)

There's been talks of cambros for the last few pages, why use those over a plain stock pot?

Both boxes fit on a large knapsack, the One comes in a box, the Precision Cooker on a cylinder. If you have any sort of storage on your bike you can probably attach the boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jan posted:

There's been talks of cambros for the last few pages, why use those over a plain stock pot?

If you're a huge nerd and you want to cosplay Kenji Lopez-Alt, use a Cambro. If you're in your house, use a drat stock pot. Throw an aluminum foil lid on that poo poo if you're doing a >24hr cook.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The cambro gives you more useable space than a stockpot. Plus you can see your food and know if it's floating. Or ruptured, I guess. But I can do 3 bags of short ribs in my cambro with plenty of room for water circulation and in a stock pot they would be crammed together.

And they don't use cambros for sous vide in commercial kitchens because they look cool, they use them because they're the best option.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
yeah what do you all think about those plastic balls they sell to supposedly keep heat in? I take it foil is just as good, and at a fraction of the price?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

If you're a huge nerd and you want to cosplay Kenji Lopez-Alt, use a Cambro. If you're in your house, use a drat stock pot. Throw an aluminum foil lid on that poo poo if you're doing a >24hr cook.

FYI if you're using a stainless steel stock pot as most people have, aluminum foil will corrode/dissolve if it's in contact with the bath for any length of time during the cook. The center sagged in overnight the last time I did that and even though I had plastic wrap under the foil, there was enough moisture that there were giant holes in the foil the next morning.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

drukqs posted:

yeah what do you all think about those plastic balls they sell to supposedly keep heat in? I take it foil is just as good, and at a fraction of the price?

You can also use regular ping pong balls which are dirtass cheap and reusable unlike foil.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

drukqs posted:

Just use a couple dozen pingpong balls. Metal transmits heat extremely efficiently, and something full of air does not.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I didn't buy a vacuum sealer so I'll just do the ziplock bag thing for now until I need one. Is there anything I need to watch out for wrt heating plastic? Are the ziplock brand bags safe to heat?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Also not all circulators will reach higher temps on a stockpot leaking heat all over. If I didn't have a properly sized cambro I'd use a small cooler for my steak fishies.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 9, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just use a couple dozen pingpong balls. Metal transmits heat extremely efficiently, and something full of air does not.

The pot's metal and has a lot more surface area than just the surface of the water does. The point behind the cover isn't for thermal insulation, it's to reduce evaporation so you don't come home from work and find out that the water level dropped below the cutoff point and your 72-hour shortribs are now 112-degree food poisoning.

deimos posted:

Also not all circulators will maintain higher temps on a stockpot leaking heat all over.

If the circulator can get whatever quantity of water you're using up to the target temperature, it can hold it there. Water has a *lot* of thermal mass.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

drukqs posted:

Get a bag of practice ping pong balls on Amazon. $10.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The pot's metal and has a lot more surface area than just the surface of the water does. The point behind the cover isn't for thermal insulation, it's to reduce evaporation so you don't come home from work and find out that the water level dropped below the cutoff point and your 72-hour shortribs are now 112-degree food poisoning.

If the circulator can get whatever quantity of water you're using up to the target temperature, it can hold it there. Water has a *lot* of thermal mass.
foil will leak air, so the point you're going for isn't there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MasterFugu posted:

foil will leak air, so the point you're going for isn't there.

Yeah and idiotic plastic balls won't? It's about reducing the _amount_ of water vapor that escapes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's probably value to improved insulation on long cooks too. Less energy usage and whatnot.

The balls are primarily beneficial in a commercial setting where you're adding and removing stuff all the time. I just put the lid on my cambro, which has a cutout for the IC.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Err you're right, I meant to say not all circulators will reach higher temps on heat-leaky containers.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah and idiotic plastic balls won't? It's about reducing the _amount_ of water vapor that escapes.
not if they're in the water and reflecting heat back down (also reducing the surface area of the water in contact with the air), which foil being metal and generally unable to float reliably, it can't do as well.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MasterFugu posted:

not if they're in the water and reflecting heat back down (also reducing the surface area of the water in contact with the air), which foil being metal and generally unable to float reliably, it can't do as well.

Unless you've figured out a way to close-pack equal spheres which the entire mathematics community is unaware of, there's space between the balls, and water's going to evaporate. Over any reasonable period of cooking, the difference between a sheet of aluminum foil crimped around the open top of the pot and a couple-dozen ping-pong balls with be approximately gently caress/all. If you personally find dealing with a couple of dozen ping pong balls easier than tearing off a square foot of foil, get on down with that approach.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My nomiku is holding temp a few degrees higher than the setpoint. Is this a known problem or anything like that? Mine is one of the original ones from the kickstarter.

e: both the current temp display and actual water temp are staying 3-ish degrees above the setpoint.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 9, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Sounds like the PID isn't calibrated correctly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm not aware of any way to calibrate the Nomiku, so you might just have to always set it 3°F below the target.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It was calibrated correctly until yesterday. :( Maybe if I clean the temp sensor of hard water scale or something...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Email 'em. The Nom people are remarkably responsive.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've been sticking a pirex bowl full of the sous vide water into the pot to keep things submerged and not had any problems. is that a bad idea?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Boris Galerkin posted:

I didn't buy a vacuum sealer so I'll just do the ziplock bag thing for now until I need one. Is there anything I need to watch out for wrt heating plastic? Are the ziplock brand bags safe to heat?

I did a bit of research into this when I got my sous vide machine a while back and the consensus is that as long as you get either Ziplock or Glad brand freezer bags the contents will be BPA-free after a sous-vide trip. Off-brand bags do not fare as well, neither do non-freezer versions of the name brands' bags. The big thing to watch out for, and I've seen a lot of this (about 1 in 25), is quart freezer bags that contain defects and let water in. If you're going to use the bags, check to see if there are any gaps in the sides where the bag wasn't made properly.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Jose posted:

i've been sticking a pirex bowl full of the sous vide water into the pot to keep things submerged and not had any problems. is that a bad idea?

I do that all the time when making veggies and haven't had a problem yet.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Jose posted:

I usually do the same but with mason jars instead. Works fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

An upside down steamer basket or small colander doesn't get air bubbles

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Just ate my 72 hour short ribs today.

I think I did a lot of little things "wrong" (didn't pre-sear, used freezer bags/displacement instead of vacuum sealer), but whatever, they were faaantastic. I used my Dorkfood controller and cooked them at 134F for about 78 hours. Very tender and the fat was really soft and melty. Seared it with a MAPP torch afterward.

I think because it was in a crock pot part of it might have cooked a little hotter than 134 because it was kind of resting on the bottom of the crock. Also they were really, really fatty ribs and didn't have as much meat as I expected on them. Still, as a proof of concept and a first time long cook I am really happy with the results.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

What temps do y'all do your burgers at? I had it in my brain that 135F = Medium Rare but holy hell that was a huge mistake. My burgs turned into hockey pucks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Argyle posted:

What temps do y'all do your burgers at? I had it in my brain that 135F = Medium Rare but holy hell that was a huge mistake. My burgs turned into hockey pucks.

A skoch under 135F usually. The trick is, you gotta hit 'em with a super hot and fast sear, otherwise the heat propagates through the patty too quickly.

If I'm feeling lazy (all the time), I'll do 'em at 135, cool them back down, and refrigerate. Then I'll just pull out one or two at a time and put a quick (but not super urgent) sear on them before serving (alternatively, 7 minutes under the broiler in my office's toaster oven brings them from fridge-cold to rather nice).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Safety Dance posted:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The cambro gives you more useable space than a stockpot. Plus you can see your food and know if it's floating. Or ruptured, I guess. But I can do 3 bags of short ribs in my cambro with plenty of room for water circulation and in a stock pot they would be crammed together.

And they don't use cambros for sous vide in commercial kitchens because they look cool, they use them because they're the best option.
Guess I'll start out with the stock pot and graduate once I'm familiar enough with this whole thing to feel the need to upgrade. :shobon:

I'm already fairly short on kitchen space, so the cooker itself taking barely more space than an immersion blender was a deciding factor in taking the plunge.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

A skoch under 135F usually. The trick is, you gotta hit 'em with a super hot and fast sear, otherwise the heat propagates through the patty too quickly.

Huh. Mine were brown and well-done all the way through, right out of the water.

I hope it's not my Anova. I even double-checked the water temp with a second thermometer to confirm that 135 = 135.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What sized patties are you using?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

1/3 pound. Too small?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I thought burger times were 120 for rare, 130 for medium, 140 for well done?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Argyle posted:

Huh. Mine were brown and well-done all the way through, right out of the water.

I hope it's not my Anova. I even double-checked the water temp with a second thermometer to confirm that 135 = 135.
If you actually did them at 135 F they weren't well done; colour just isn't a good indication of doneness, particularly with something like ground meat. In very simple terms, the more surface area you have, the darker/greyer the meat will end up when cooked to any given temperature.

Basically when you see grey or brown meat what you're looking at is myoglobin that's denatured and formed one of a couple different compounds, depending on what the iron in the myoglobin happened to bind with. What the iron was bound to before the myoglobin was denatured is one of the factors that determines what happens when it does denature, and it also influences how likely it is to denature at any given temperature. Oxymyoglobin, which is the pinkish colour of the surface of raw meat in air, will (all else being equal) denature into hemichrome (which is the greyish colour you probably associate with well-done meat) at a lower temperature than deoxymyoglobin, which is the more purplish or bluish colour you see in the interior of meat. Since ground meat is nearly all surface, nearly all of the iron in the myoglobin will be in the form of oxymyoglobin, and so will turn greyish sooner than meat a cm inside e.g. a steak (where the myoglobin will mostly be in the form of deoxymyoglobin) even if the two are at exactly the same temperature and doneness.

So tl;dr: don't rely on colour to judge doneness.

If your burgers were coming out too tough at 135, chances are it was either just poo poo ground beef or it was just plain too lean. You can do a lot with lovely ground beef and very lean ground beef, but a burger, even done in a puddle machine, really isn't one of them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Argyle posted:

1/3 pound. Too small?
The above and depending on how fast you're able to sear the mid might be getting in the 160 range if you don't give an ice bath.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

MasterFugu posted:

This sounds dumb as hell, vapor pressure inside a crimped tinfoil cover will do way more to slow evaporation then ping pong balls floating on the top.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

We just need ping pong cubes, someone could make a fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I bet I could find a high temperature foam board, cut it to fit various ICs in various Cambros, and sell it at immense markup to puddledorks, billing it as the best heat and water loss solution for your most longest, most temperature sensitive sous vide applications.