Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hey, racism is okay as long as you dont like the person in auestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Vic Boss posted:

People still say Shyamalamadingdong? God drat

Yeah, I thought that went out when mods were probating people for it back when he was still popular.

Some Pinko Commie has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Jun 10, 2015

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Wait crap it's not a portmanteau of his name and the fact that he's a ding-dong because he makes terrible movies is it?

I... I always thought that's what it was :negative:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We need more public shyaming of people who do that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More like Shyamalame.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Sighence posted:

Wait crap it's not a portmanteau of his name and the fact that he's a ding-dong because he makes terrible movies is it?

I... I always thought that's what it was :negative:

No, that's it, really. Unless there's some secret origin story to the word shama-lama-ding-dong I'm unaware of beyond "scat singing".

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
"Shamalamadingdong" is construed to make fun of his strange name in many places. Racist? Barely. Ethnicist? Kinda. Being a huge prick for treating someone from an outgroup differently? Most definitely.

Luckily, this one is in the eye of the beholder. If you thought it was only because he was a ding-dong, then your white guilt is clear. If you were making fun of his name, then you are a horrible fuckhole and a closet racist.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

CharlieWhiskeyDingDong posted:

"Shamalamadingdong" is construed to make fun of his strange name in many places. Racist? Barely. Ethnicist? Kinda. Being a huge prick for treating someone from an outgroup differently? Most definitely.

Luckily, this one is in the eye of the beholder. If you thought it was only because he was a ding-dong, then your white guilt is clear. If you were making fun of his name, then you are a horrible fuckhole and a closet racist.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2JFJ6B9xoY

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CharlieWhiskey posted:

If you were making fun of his name, then you are a horrible fuckhole and a closet racist.

So when I called Bill Clinton "Bill Clitoris" when it was found out he was jamming cigars into his interns, that made me racist?

People have been calling other people silly names since forever. Doesn't make them racist.

Doesn't make them not racist either, of course. Gotta look at each one individually.

So what part of " shama-lama-ding-dong" contains the racial insult?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'd guess the Lama, though I'm not really sure how.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Gorilla Salad posted:

I think the assumption is that we're making fun of his foreign name because we are unappreciative of other cultures, and not because the man's a doof whose name is already one half of the word shama-lama-ding-dong

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm perfectly willing to accept there are racist jackasses who are just being racist jackasses, when it comes to his name. But I think most people were just pissed because he turned out to be such a loving hack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People were calling him that as early as Sixth Sense when he was the New Hotness In Hollywood. It is absolutely the result of "he has a funny name" and not because he was a hack.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I always just called him that because I don't like his movies and I wanted to make fun of him, but that's just me.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I always used shamaladingdong because i was able to remember and pronounce it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I make fun of people's goofy names no matter what color their skin is :colbert:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Data Graham posted:

I make fun of people's goofy names no matter what color their skin is :colbert:

I don't think I've ever said M. Night Shynmabmnlanamaab's name the same way twice.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I always say "that guy who directed The Sixth Sense," sorry I'm a racist and a shitbox

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I call him "M. Night"; my shame is that I have no idea what the M stands for.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, I thought that went out when mods were probating people for it back when he was still popular.

It took a while but it dawned on me that the reason that they thought that image would work is because their audience is heavily skewed to the 70-90 year old demographic that probably remembers part of the great depression when the rich were the only ones with refrigeration.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

ol qwerty bastard posted:

It stands for Mark.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Bad Sneakers posted:

It took a while but it dawned on me that the reason that they thought that image would work is because their audience is heavily skewed to the 70-90 year old demographic that probably remembers part of the great depression when the rich were the only ones with refrigeration.

This implies that there are ~180,000 people in the USA who DON'T own refrigerators, which is sad and pathetic for our country. A Good Image.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Mid

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

Nostrum posted:

This implies that there are ~180,000 people in the USA who DON'T own refrigerators, which is sad and pathetic for our country. A Good Image.

You could skew that number any number of ways though. A big part of that 99% may very well be students in dorms with mini fridges or people in shelters that just happen to have a refrigerator on premises. I seriously doubt Fox News took the time to look at the actual numbers. Considering we have around 610,042 homeless in the US, there is no way only 180,00 people are without refrigeration.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

430k homeless people own refrigerators!

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Butt ox isn't on board.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

hell yeah this is some dnd poo poo right here

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The fifth element. The element of surprise!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

zoux posted:

430k homeless people own refrigerator boxes!

Fixed that for you.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I always called him Mister Tweeeeest.

mcbexx posted:

The fifth element. The element of surprise!

As A.B.A cosplay goes, I've seen better.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

That SNL sketch where rob schieder adds -alamadingdong to the end of everyone's name when they're making copies is the most offensive sketch ever.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
I prefer to use "Slammadammadoodah" myself.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

If you were making fun of his name, then you are a horrible fuckhole and a closet racist.

Holy gently caress, this really is old Gibbis.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Jun 10, 2015

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

radiatinglines posted:

That SNL sketch where rob schieder adds -alamadingdong to the end of everyone's name when they're making copies is the most offensive sketch ever.

Everything starring Rob Schneider is the most offensive thing ever,* so yes.

*except Judge Dread, but it still would have been better without him

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
e: quote is not edit

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

This is also funny because street fighter 3 still looks really good

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Bad Sneakers posted:

It's because Fox News struggles to find ways to demonize poor people and prove they're all ~welfare queens~ buying iPads with food stamp cards or whatever.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
M Night Shyamalan is currently executive producing Wayward Pines which is really good so far.

And I've just learned he did After Earth which just smacked the taste out of my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I own two refrigerators. I am the 1%!

• Locked thread