Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Apparently G Watch Rs are being "wound down," that is production has stopped. Strange decision by LG. Not sure if that makes mine more or less valuable.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...y-discontinued/

I don't think it is that surprising considering the Urbane has been confirmed to be identical hardware wise to the G Watch R. Wear sales are probably still way too low to justify two production lines for nearly identical products with what probably amounts to very little material cost difference but a clear attempt to send market signals that the Urbane is a more premium device than the LG G watch Round.

I would guess that it signals a price drop for the Urban as we move to second gen hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, I'm sure your android device appreciated in value.

Probably a temp boost by people who think it's the nicest looking current one but never bought one. Gonna list it.

Three Olives posted:

I would guess that it signals a price drop for the Urban as we move to second gen hardware.

This was second gen IMO. G Watch/Gear Live were first gen.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 4, 2015

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Reverse Centaur posted:

Probably a temp boost by people who think it's the nicest looking current one but never bought one. Gonna list it.

This was second gen IMO. G Watch/Gear Live were first gen.

At least for LG's watches. The G watch, G watch R and the urbane have the exact same internals. Same processor, same battery, even the same radios. Only the housing and screen are different between models. You can even flash the urbane's radios drivers onto the G watch R to enable the wifi mode (although you'd be violating FCC rules because that device hasn't been certified). So really they're all still first gen with a fresh coat of paint.

That said, a nice looking coat of paint is still important.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Nitrousoxide posted:

At least for LG's watches. The G watch, G watch R and the urbane have the exact same internals. Same processor, same battery, even the same radios. Only the housing and screen are different between models. You can even flash the urbane's radios drivers onto the G watch R to enable the wifi mode (although you'd be violating FCC rules because that device hasn't been certified). So really they're all still first gen with a fresh coat of paint.

That said, a nice looking coat of paint is still important.

Of note, the original G Watch doesn't physically have a wifi antenna, but other than that this is accurate.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The thing I am really waiting for is Wear specific chipsets. MediaTek announced a while back that they are shipping in volume already. A stripped down modern chip paired with a OLED instead of a crippled Snapdragon 400 should give stellar battery life and open up new app possibilities.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Thermopyle posted:

That bezel

Looking at my current ZenWatch, that bezel looks even bigger. I know it's partially because of the sensors on the front, including pulse, but I'm surprised they didn't try to knock it down in size.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

The thing I am really waiting for is Wear specific chipsets. MediaTek announced a while back that they are shipping in volume already. A stripped down modern chip paired with a OLED instead of a crippled Snapdragon 400 should give stellar battery life and open up new app possibilities.

What new app possibilities?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

What new app possibilities?
Folding@Home

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently the reason the Moto 360 hasn't received the newest update yet is performance issues:

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-blames-performance-issues-moto-360-update-delay

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Oh man, that's pretty much the end for the 360 already. This thing's on the market for less than a year and they can't even make updates work smoothly anymore. Not that it ever did. I like mine and still wouldn't wear any other Wear piece right now, but all in all it's a lovely situation.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AlexF posted:

Oh man, that's pretty much the end for the 360 already. This thing's on the market for less than a year and they can't even make updates work smoothly anymore. Not that it ever did. I like mine and still wouldn't wear any other Wear piece right now, but all in all it's a lovely situation.

Considering it's using a chip from 2010 I'd say them getting it midway through 2015 isn't too bad. :v:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
:lol: I just received my 360 yesterday, too. Thanks, Moto.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Despite still waiting for the update, I've had my 360 since November, and I don't regret purchasing it at all. It might be dated, but it's still one of my favorite devices. Hopefully, I'm not alone in that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

AlexF posted:

Dude, they didn't say it wasn't getting the update.

I mean it might not, but it's a little premature to declare the "end of the 360" because of this yet.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Despite still waiting for the update, I've had my 360 since November, and I don't regret purchasing it at all. It might be dated, but it's still one of my favorite devices. Hopefully, I'm not alone in that.

You aren't, I haven't had my 360 for very long but I love it.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I'm loving mine as well, wearing it everyday! It will continue to be exactly what I want out of a smartwatch at this point. And I'm sure that we'll get the update eventually, but it's pretty telling that they are having problems already.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
It's the perfect first generation device for me. Best look on the market by far. Considering I use it for notifications I'm completely happy with how it performs.

I'll gladly use it until a new game changer comes out - no need to get any type of incremental upgrade until then.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with them taking time to make sure the update works properly as long as it does show up eventually. I won't be happy if they abandon it this early, but there's currently no reason to think that right now.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

AlexF posted:

And I'm sure that we'll get the update eventually, but it's pretty telling that they are having problems already.

yes pretty telling at almost a year after release they're delaying an update because it's not up to their release standards. yes.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
You are aware that I love this thing, right? Also owning a Nexus 6 and a Moto X before that, so I'm actually a Motorola supporter for this generation.

Fact is, that every other Wear watch has received the update, because those OEMs don't have to dance around ancient hardware. Yes, Motorola will eventually get around, but how many other updates will follow, if they wanna keep up their 'quality standards' (ie have to find yet another way to squeeze out the necessary performance)?

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
The 5.1.1 update will be great when we eventually get it, but frankly I'm in no rush. I'm happy with my Moto 360 the way it is, the new features will just be a bonus.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
So, uh, what's the norm for battery life on the 360 for you guys? I took mine off charge this morning around 7am, it's now 3:40, and it's already down to 40%. I'm not using it any more than my brother's G Watch that I had been borrowing, and with that I would be at like 60% easy by the end of the day. I knew the 360 didn't have first-in-class battery life but this seems pretty poor. EDIT this is with ambient mode off.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Require More Fire posted:

So, uh, what's the norm for battery life on the 360 for you guys? I took mine off charge this morning around 7am, it's now 3:40, and it's already down to 40%. I'm not using it any more than my brother's G Watch that I had been borrowing, and with that I would be at like 60% easy by the end of the day. I knew the 360 didn't have first-in-class battery life but this seems pretty poor. EDIT this is with ambient mode off.

I get pretty good battery life with mine, at the end of the day I'm usually down to 60%+. I might be lucky in that I don't get a tonne of notifications, but I use it a fair bit so :iiam:

Your AV is brilliant by the way. Second best Holmes only to Clive Merrison.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

AlexF posted:

You are aware that I love this thing, right? Also owning a Nexus 6 and a Moto X before that, so I'm actually a Motorola supporter for this generation.

Fact is, that every other Wear watch has received the update, because those OEMs don't have to dance around ancient hardware. Yes, Motorola will eventually get around, but how many other updates will follow, if they wanna keep up their 'quality standards' (ie have to find yet another way to squeeze out the necessary performance)?

Stop dancing around the fact that you said something stupid.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Of course, I said something stupid. Sure, I've been using this thing since its launch with all the good and bad sides, but I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. How can you not admit that the 360 is the worst of the bunch when it comes to internal hardware. It's everything else that's setting it apart but it's crystal clear that it'll be the first to get left behind.

This forum sometimes...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

AlexF posted:

How can you not admit that the 360 is the worst of the bunch when it comes to internal hardware...it'll be the first to get left behind.

No one disagrees with this.

You said this:

AlexF posted:

They said they're working on it, and you said it's the end of the 360 and they can't make updates work smoothly. That's a stupid thing to say. And then you stupidly didn't disavow that statement.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

With ambient mode on if I take the watch off the charger at 6.30am I'm usually into single digits by 10pm or so. Ambient mode off is a lot easier on battery but I find the display doesn't wake up quite quickly enough.

I get a lot of notifications (work email on the phone) but I don't actively use the watch a great deal.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Yesterday, I wore it with ambient mode turned off for 14.5 hours, and was down to 45%. That's the best I've seen. Today was more typical, going down to 20% in the same time frame.

I did notice a marked improvement after a few days. I don't know if this is just because I was playing with it less or not.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
My 360 was doing a few other weird things and just running slow and lovely in general so I factory reset it and repaired it, and now it's like a totally different device. Battery life is acceptable now and it runs super smooth. So, I guess something got hosed up when I updated it/paired it originally. :ms:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got a steel band for my Urbane after a month of customs hell, pretty happy with it. It hides the worst part of the Urbane, ie the giant lugs

I thought I scuffed it on the bottom after seeing that shot but it was just goon grime :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

Got a steel band for my Urbane after a month of customs hell, pretty happy with it. It hides the worst part of the Urbane, ie the giant lugs

I thought I scuffed it on the bottom after seeing that shot but it was just goon grime :)

Pretty decent.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Somewhat crosspost from the pebble thread, but my Steel developed a slight yellow tint at the bottom of the screen, well actually it was pretty much like that out of box. They sent me a replacement, and I was thinking of selling both and putting the money towards the new Time Steel. Aside from that issue I do like the watch and feel it does all I want, I'm mainly interested in the microphone in the new iteration. But should I be considering something different all together? Is there anything out there that offers enough to warrant the drop in battery life? Any less than a couple days, I don't think I'd be interested.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

codo27 posted:

Somewhat crosspost from the pebble thread, but my Steel developed a slight yellow tint at the bottom of the screen, well actually it was pretty much like that out of box. They sent me a replacement, and I was thinking of selling both and putting the money towards the new Time Steel. Aside from that issue I do like the watch and feel it does all I want, I'm mainly interested in the microphone in the new iteration. But should I be considering something different all together? Is there anything out there that offers enough to warrant the drop in battery life? Any less than a couple days, I don't think I'd be interested.

My LG G Watch (like... the first Android Wear watch, that and the Moto 360, basically) can pull more than 48 hours of battery, but that's a stretch and really depends on number of notifications I get. And that's without ambient mode turned on. YMMV, but I don't think you're going to find much in the Android Wear category that can go much further than that. I bet it could have done 60 hours in the end, but I didn't want it to die while I was at work, so I tossed it on the charger while I was showering and getting ready that day.

That said, touchscreen functionality and voice commands are pretty drat nice, IMO. I think they're worth the lack of battery life. It's not like it's charging for 8 hours to be useful. 60 minutes of charging is nearly a full battery for me.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

FWIW, the microphone on the Pebble Time/Steel is only usable for replies to incoming messages at the moment. I have zero doubt that its functionality will be expanded, but right now there's no Google Now control or anything like that, just dictated voice replies to incoming messages.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The $50 for a refurbished LG G Watch (original) deal is back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171816938160

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
So I take it that the "Simple" watch face with the time and a sky background is the stock Wear face, since it was on both the LG G and the Moto 360. Is the background supposed to change with the time? I ask because so far it only seems to change when I initially pick the face, and then it stays that way forever.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Sony watch is on sale for $149. http://www.expansys-usa.com/sony-smartwatch-3-swr50-black-265548

Can't imagine using this one for daily wear, but with Runkeeper supporting the onboard GPS and a transflective screen so it looks good in sunlight, might not be a bad running watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I seem to recall saying that the super nice Hauwai watch might as well be vaporwear when it was announced back in Feb since they didn't have a firm release date...

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/06/10/huawei-watch-delayed-until-september-or-october-ugh/

Delayed until at least September, possibly October.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Personally I never expected anything other than Q4 for that thing just based on how non-specific they were being when it was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I got an LG G Watch R, and it's cool and good. I like how it's very similar to a real watch, in fact it's nearly identical to a Fossil watch I own