Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I've never actually used an AMD CPU-based PC. I did buy a bunch of used over clocking DDR to waste on P4s though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Seriously though, does anyone have a dust riddled Nforce2 system I could have for a song?

I wouldn't be surprised if >90% of them are dead. Everyone I built a PC for at that time eventually had their motherboard caps die from cap plague and nforce2 boards could be had for a bargain at the time so it's what I mostly used.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: Revelling in the before time of the long long ago
Reminiscing is fun sometimes, I've been enjoying it.

For those who would rather think about the future, Tom's Hardware has an odd write-up of Lisa Su's press session at the end of Computex.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Rastor posted:

Reminiscing is fun sometimes, I've been enjoying it.

For those who would rather think about the future, Tom's Hardware has an odd write-up of Lisa Su's press session at the end of Computex.

The narrative voice on that article is really weird.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

It's always surprising when somebody's trying to paint Intel as this giant anti-trust violator and don't mention this bit.

After nvidia settled the chipset thing, I don't think there is anyone left to continue and push that issue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shaocaholica posted:

Seriously though, does anyone have a dust riddled Nforce2 system I could have for a song?

I still have a fully functioning computer I built circa 2005 that has an nForce 4 board (Epox 9NPA+ SLI). CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester and it has dual Geforce 6800GS graphics cards in SLI, haha. It was my first dual-core, SLI system :unsmith:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

teagone posted:

I still have a fully functioning computer I built circa 2005 that has an nForce 4 board (Epox 9NPA+ SLI). CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester and it has dual Geforce 6800GS graphics cards in SLI, haha. It was my first dual-core, SLI system :unsmith:

I"m surprised yours is still going, my Socket 939 system had caps on the motherboard fail, and I carried my X800 Pro onto a Core 2.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

teagone posted:

CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 3800+
My main Linux box is an X2 5000+ so I'm only just behind you. It'll get retired when I finally replace my II X4 635 windows box that is woefully underpowered for Lightroom.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Twerk from Home posted:

I"m surprised yours is still going, my Socket 939 system had caps on the motherboard fail, and I carried my X800 Pro onto a Core 2.

I had a S939 system I set up (and upgraded more than once) in early '06, started out as an A64 3700+, 8800GTS 640MB, 500GB WD Black, Antec mid-tower (can't remember the model), 650W PSU, DVD/CDRW combo and 1GB DDR and an Asus mainboard. Ran like a champ for quite a while, eventually upgraded to 2GB DDR and an Opteron 170 dual core that I got overclocked pretty solid at 2.9Ghz on air with one of those gigantic Zalman CNPS 9500 copper heatsinks. I think I kept it until around late 2010-early 2011 before setting up a C2Q 9400 based PC that blew it out of the water, mainly because at the time AMD had the Phenom but they were already seeing issues with their fab putting out good quad core chips, so there were a lot of expensive quads, then some dual and triple cores that were getting stomped by Intel anyways.

Always surprised the hell out of me how high those Intel chips clocked, the 9400 I had was 2.66 stock and I got it up to 3.76 on air with no stability or cooling issues, that thing was a goddamn beast.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ozz81 posted:

...early 2011 before setting up a C2Q 9400 based PC....

Haha nice. I'm still rocking a 2006 C2Q system that's still my main 'boring-but-has-to-work' machine. Its always had 8GB max ram since being built but I just recently did the Xeon hack and dropped in a pretty beefy Yorkfield(?) X5470 Xeon(3.6OC 12MB).

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Shaocaholica posted:

Haha nice. I'm still rocking a 2006 C2Q system that's still my main 'boring-but-has-to-work' machine. Its always had 8GB max ram since being built but I just recently did the Xeon hack and dropped in a pretty beefy Yorkfield(?) X5470 Xeon(3.6OC 12MB).

:colbert:
Excuse me, sir.

Excuse me.
:crossarms:

Yes, uh. Excuse me, but please take your Core 2 Quad and your 8GB of RAM and actually decent performance for a 2006 machine (that likely actually outperforms my 3.6ghz Llano from six years after your PC was built), and :getout: of our requiem thread for AMD.

But seriously, good for you for not throwing away a perfectly good computer.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Shaocaholica posted:

I might, I think I have most of a socket A system I was using as a media box for a while in the basement. I'll have to double check what's actually in it.

Edit: Yup, it's an A7N8X-E, it worked last time I used it, and it doesn't have bad cap smell or anything visibly leaking/bulging. I'm not sure what processor is installed, and there's not currently any RAM in it but I might have some random DDR dimms lying around. There's an AGP video card installed too. PM me if you're interested.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 9, 2015

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

It's always surprising when somebody's trying to paint Intel as this giant anti-trust violator and don't mention this bit.

Considering how much of a shitshow the 680i nForce boards could be, it was probably for the best.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

pienipple posted:

I might, I think I have most of a socket A system I was using as a media box for a while in the basement. I'll have to double check what's actually in it.

Edit: Yup, it's an A7N8X-E, it worked last time I used it, and it doesn't have bad cap smell or anything visibly leaking/bulging. I'm not sure what processor is installed, and there's not currently any RAM in it but I might have some random DDR dimms lying around. There's an AGP video card installed too. PM me if you're interested.

PM sent.

3200+ CPUs can be had for cheaps. Its the drat heatsinks for these things that are mostly trashed. Athough I think I have one (heatsink only) in storage.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

^ Along with Pienipple, I've got an old AXP 3200+ system (I think either Barton or T-Bred core) I'm not using, even has an old 6600GT AGP 128MB card in it that's pretty solid. All still working, was planning to set up an old school Win98 system but got lazy and it's just chilling collecting dust. Not hurting for cash and would part with it if you're interested :) I think I have a custom Rosewill copper/aluminum heatsink for it too, I'll double check, heatsink was bought new a couple years ago and barely ran at all outside of booting up once to make sure I could get into the BIOS and make sure the fan and everything worked.

E: Pictures of the parts for your perusing pleasure, heatsink is pretty beefy so if you decide to OC a little it'll stay plenty cool. Also confirmed KV4E is the Barton core

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 10, 2015

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Comparing Today's Modern CPUs To Intel's Socket 478 Celeron & Pentium 4. Nostalgia train ain't got no brakes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ozz81 posted:

E: Pictures of the parts for your perusing pleasure, heatsink is pretty beefy so if you decide to OC a little it'll stay plenty cool. Also confirmed KV4E is the Barton core

Boss. I'll take it all!

edit: I totally forgot about barton vs third. I'll have to re-read about that one.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

evol262 posted:

It was more elegant because the P4's pipeline was horrifyingly long, and SMT gave the CPU something to do other than stalling to do while the replay queue cycled....SMT has very few technical advantages over just cramming more cores on
While its certainly true the P4's longer pipeline benefited more from SMT than the Athlon of the time would've that has nothing to do with why I'd consider it more elegant vs multi core. The die savings were a pretty big deal back then, doubly so for AMD, and there were virtually no multi threaded apps at the time either to really take advantage of the extra performance multi core CPU's can offer in the consumer market.

evol262 posted:

Well, that's an ex-post-facto analysis of what happened. Their best selling CPUs were never the ones with yield problems...Multiple cores and better design gave them a significant lead everywhere...It wasn't a fab limitation problem.
Nah even at the time it was pretty clearly a bad idea, remember Ruiz was at the helm at the time and he was not a good CEO. Not for AMD or Motorola. Yield issues had nothing to do with it. By focusing heavily on multi core they nearly halved their effective CPU production volume when they needed to be growing it not shrinking it. That was the reason why they went so thoroughly in debt to get the Dresden 'super' (for the time) fab built, to get lots more volume. I think they originally expected to be able to make half the world's supply of x86 CPU's before the multi core push took off. Which was a big deal to the OEM's and AMD. Intel could guarantee supply then, AMD couldn't.

IIRC they were fab limited to being capable of only supplying ~30% of the world's x86 CPU's back then. This guaranteed that Intel would always have the lion's share of sales and market influence which is a pretty big deal.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

nForce? phhhhhht

AMD's first Athlon chipset, Irongate, was where it was at.

FIC SD11 was awesome bang for the buck:

You could get that board + a 650Mhz Slot A Athlon for around $300 at Fry's back then. Slap on a GFD, or hard mod the actual CPU PCB if you were feeling cocky, and you were in business.

Too bad it'd be years later before AMD began making their own chipsets again and instead let VIA, SiS, nVidia, and ALi on to their mobo's. Honestly the late generation VIA chipsets weren't too bad but by then everyone was soured on them.

Man that brings back some memories. A friend of mine built one for his teacher back in the day over summer. Teacher didn't want it until school started, so we used it to run a Counter Strike server that became really popular. He also had the hookup from our local telco (Cincinnati Bell) who basically gave him SDSL... An engineer (who was awesome, btw) got tired of his calls about crappy speeds and tweaked the Cisco 675 ADSL modem to grant him 7/7Mbps .. that was nice back then.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Boss. I'll take it all!

edit: I totally forgot about barton vs third. I'll have to re-read about that one.

I know T-Bred was a really good overclocker in terms of power usage and headroom, pretty sure Barton was the same way. At work now so I can't say for sure but I know both were awesome cores, generated a lot less heat and people got really good performance out of them :)

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Ozz81 posted:

I know T-Bred was a really good overclocker in terms of power usage and headroom, pretty sure Barton was the same way. At work now so I can't say for sure but I know both were awesome cores, generated a lot less heat and people got really good performance out of them :)

I think the T-bird was AMD's best chip in price/performance. They were still relevant for gaming well into the mid-2000s, only to bottleneck up until the GeForce 6000 series if I'm correct?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Found an unopened ISA graphics adapter in the trash yesterday. Have nostalgia over that you nerds

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WhyteRyce posted:

Found an unopened ISA graphics adapter in the trash yesterday. Have nostalgia over that you nerds

You could probaly sell that for a pretty penny on ebay.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Holy jesus my overclocked XP-M 2500 still works. lovely MSI KT400 motherboard and all. Over 12 years old and still kicking.

I was 16 and had to borrow money from my parents just to build that thing because my then-already-ancient Pentium 2 system just died and it was all I could afford. Started with an XP1800 that was promptly overclocked to 2400 levels. Then before leaving for college I saved up a few bucks for that XP-M2500 and went hogge wild promptly maxing out all the measly BIOS settings would give. Ended up with ~2.2 ghz because thats all the crap mobo would allow, although that CPU can handle 2.4 pretty easily IIRC. Also managed to score a Radeon 9800 Pro for cheap....which literally caused my awful no name PSU to catch fire. No joke, I saw the flames and thought for a split second "I don't have any red lighting in my case..."

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Seamonster posted:

Holy jesus my overclocked XP-M 2500 still works. lovely MSI KT400 motherboard and all. Over 12 years old and still kicking.

I was 16 and had to borrow money from my parents just to build that thing because my then-already-ancient Pentium 2 system just died and it was all I could afford. Started with an XP1800 that was promptly overclocked to 2400 levels. Then before leaving for college I saved up a few bucks for that XP-M2500 and went hogge wild promptly maxing out all the measly BIOS settings would give. Ended up with ~2.2 ghz because thats all the crap mobo would allow, although that CPU can handle 2.4 pretty easily IIRC. Also managed to score a Radeon 9800 Pro for cheap....which literally caused my awful no name PSU to catch fire. No joke, I saw the flames and thought for a split second "I don't have any red lighting in my case..."

:laffo:

I'm glad PSUs are typically not terrible these days.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
BIOS OC settings should be stored in non volatile memory right? The little battery is just for the clock?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This also brings back memories of unlocking 9800SEs for Doom3. Mine was fine but a buddy of mine had horrible checkerboard artifacts after unlocking.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Socket A Sempron 2600. Replaced my trusty XP 2700+ after I slipped and dropped my huge Zalman 7000 on it and cracked the core. I had the aluminum/copper version that weighed a mere 1 pound compared to the all copper version's nearly 2 pounds, but that was enough to crack a corner right off the exposed core. :(

God I'm glad modern coolers are so much less obnoxious to install, even if I don't really like the locking pins system Intel uses it beats trying to keep the Zalman support bits in place while screwing them in, nobody does exposed cores anymore so it's less scary to be placing the HSF. It did run very cool and quiet for a long time, but heat pipe tower designs are SO much better it's just ludicrous. Also modern designs allow for replacing the fan easily, the 92 mm fan in the Zalman eventually started buzzing (this was after probably a good 5 years of use) and there wasn't much I could do about it.

Didn't have money to replace it really, I'm pretty sure I got that Sempron for free because my mom had a tray of them and gave me one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
God, please stop reminding me of how bad the Socket A retention mechanism was. I was always afraid I'd slip and gouge the traces when trying to lever that drat clip on.

My only consolation is that when Intel went LGA, I wasn't worried like some people were about the amount of force required to secure the lever. (although that might have had something to do with working on LGA 775 prototypes)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

God, please stop reminding me of how bad the Socket A retention mechanism was. I was always afraid I'd slip and gouge the traces when trying to lever that drat clip on.

The requirement of having to use a flat head screw driver to apply a stupid amount of pressure in order to lock in a heatsink was the dumbest thing ever. I remember my heart beating so fast when I had to install that poo poo. Pretty sure I had a panic attack at one point during one installation too.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Nothing beat the socket-A/Socket 370 method of heatsink installation involving a flat-head screwdriver. Oh, you slipped slightly when applying the non-trivial amount of force required to install the clip? Goodbye motherboard. :angel:

efb

Heatsinks got better and better thanks to heatpipes. Some of the old copper designs weren't terrible for being brute-force solutions, but drat were they heavy and difficult to install. I think the all-copper TRUE and Tuniq Tower were probably the high points of that terrible design philosophy, although the earlier pre-heatpipe copper Thermalright heatsinks were usually the best available at the time.

Even the most basic GPU coolers you get today are so much better than than early options, with the old tiny aluminum things with a fan that would die in a month or the early blowers from the 5xxx-series cards and later from the x800's. Aftermarket GPU coolers were definitely worse compared to modern universal versions and waterblock adapters. I cracked the core on a x850pro thanks to a V1 Ultra cooler, which had probably the worse non-screwdriver installation method possible.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
On the other hand you can't really get away with passively cooling video cards anymore. My Radeon 9600 was passively cooled, as is the FX5500 in that Socket A system.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pienipple posted:

On the other hand you can't really get away with passively cooling video cards anymore.

Sure you can :unsmigghh:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Ugh yeah, I slipped a couple times .. ruined two boards and cracked the core on an 1.2Ghz something or other from AMD. Ugh.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

pienipple posted:

On the other hand you can't really get away with passively cooling video cards anymore. My Radeon 9600 was passively cooled, as is the FX5500 in that Socket A system.

You can get a GTX 750 or 750 Ti passively cooled nowadays without having to do anything insane.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

That's... surprisingly less painful-looking than the Prolimatech number I remember from a few years back.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Angry Fish posted:

I think the T-bird was AMD's best chip in price/performance. They were still relevant for gaming well into the mid-2000s, only to bottleneck up until the GeForce 6000 series if I'm correct?

Can confirm, I had an old system I sold to a buddy around 2005 that was an XP-M chip overclocked to 2.2Ghz on air with one of those crazy Thermalright Si-97A heatsinks, had 2GB of OCZ gold DDR (some of the best memory for OC at the time) and an DFI Lanparty mainboard. All he needed was a video card and hard drive, I built the rest and helped him get the OS running and made sure it was all tested and stable. He was still using it like 3 years later with minor upgrades (doubled the RAM, better video, bigger hard drive) and it was chomping through most games pretty smoothly. I miss those days, but was glad when AMD put an integrated heat spreader on their A64 chips and changed the heatsink clip design, I remember frying a Palomino CPU when the heatsink wasn't clipped on securely and I had an upright midtower case :(

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

pienipple posted:

:colbert:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102950

Sapphire 6670 I had installed for "Dual Graphics" "performance" on my aging Llano build. I chucked it last December for a 280X and now suffer from a serious CPU bottleneck on Witcher 3.

edit:

Jfc, that thing is expensive for a radiator. :stare:

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 10, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ozz81 posted:

I miss those days, but was glad when AMD put an integrated heat spreader on their A64 chips...

And was started the first delidding trend which I participated in. Aint no way I'm going to have that previously not necessary piece of metal in the way of my glorious thermal path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

It astounds me to this day that AMD effectively left their entire platform in VIA, SiS (remember them!), and nVidia's hands. I guess they technically made their own chipsets (Irongate, which I think was actually licensed from VIA) but they were even worse than the poo poo that SiS made.

I guess AMD making terrible business decisions shouldn't surprise anyone, though \/:shobon:\/

• Locked thread