Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay. I kind of figured gaming would have to do with it. Are they curved slightly, or still flat? It would be cool to have a 21:9 for games with fixed vertical DoCs, but they seem to either command a premium or just not come in the low-end price others do.
There are plenty of 21:9 screens that are slightly curved, including all the top end ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Any thoughts on the u3415w?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Internet Explorer posted:

Got the LG 34UC95 today... It's awesome. Loving the ultra wide setup.

[Edit: Has anyone found a way to "snap" a window to the center of the monitor in Windows 7? Doing poo poo like surfing the forums is ridiculous fullscreen, but snapping it the left or right makes it off-center and I have to tilt my head. Snap to center would be perfect.]
What's the diff between this and the LG 34UM95-P? I'm very quickly discovering that similar names for quite differently specced monitors is a bit of a minefield.

And on that, is the one I mentioned any good as an all-purpose monitor including some gaming?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

What's the diff between this and the LG 34UM95-P? I'm very quickly discovering that similar names for quite differently specced monitors is a bit of a minefield.

And on that, is the one I mentioned any good as an all-purpose monitor including some gaming?

I believe it's just the warranty.

The wife and I both plan on using it for work and for gaming. It definitely seems like it is going to take some getting used to, but once I am over that hump I don't see myself ever going back. I'm not sure it would quality as a "gaming monitor," but if you're not into hugely competitive FPS or anything I don't really see it being much of a problem. I couldn't wait for the newer ultrawide G-SYNC monitors coming out, and honestly I'm not sure I'd want to pay the premium over one of these.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

The Deadly Hume posted:

The 34UM95-P is flat instead of curved. Now if somebody could explain the different between the 34UM95, the 34UM95-P, and the 34UM94-P. I'm guessing the "-P" is essentially a minor revision to each model intended to cut manufacturing costs and the UM94 is the commercial variant of the UM95.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 10, 2015

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Noticed some freaking INTENSE IPS glow on my 34UC97 last night. I don't know if it's gotten worse since I got it or if I've just not noticed it somehow, but playing Rust last night it was really bad.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Digital Jesus posted:

Noticed some freaking INTENSE IPS glow on my 34UC97 last night. I don't know if it's gotten worse since I got it or if I've just not noticed it somehow, but playing Rust last night it was really bad.

RMA that instantly.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Digital Jesus posted:

Wow, that's pretty severe and a lot worse than the glow I see on my 34UM95.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Dat... glow.

The big draw of 21:9 larger screens is that I don't need to have two monitors for about 85%+ of the effectiveness. And moving to THREE monitors would be annoying, not to mention that there's almost no way I'd be able to have a single card GPU move pixels through all that effectively either (I'm using a mini ITX desktop).

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's terrible. I can see a slight glow in the corners on my 34UM95 but if I'm playing a game or watching a movie it disappears. You should not be seeing a glow with an image on the screen, imo. RMA time!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
A dark area during a game would allow you to see a glow.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I ended up getting the AMH A399. I'm very happy with it. 39" is a pretty perfect size for 4k (I think I could have gone up to 42" but whatever), the picture quality is fantastic, and the glare isn't as bad as I expected. The big caveat of course is that it uses PWM, but luckily I don't notice it.

A lot of people in the overclock.net forums are reporting that it's really easy to take the glass off if the glare does bother you. I might consider it at some point. But overall this thing is amazing value at $600.

You can even run it at 3840x1646 to mimic the 21:9 34" ultrawide (with blackbars of course).

e: biggest downside is the speakers, they are horrifically bad. Not useable at all.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 10, 2015

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Just a heads up that these monitor arms are shockingly good for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ITG90D0

I've installed 5 now for work.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

KS posted:

I'd love to use those but our cube walls are so tight up against the desks that you can't get the bracket in.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Papercut posted:

I ended up getting the AMH A399. I'm very happy with it. 39" is a pretty perfect size for 4k (I think I could have gone up to 42" but whatever), the picture quality is fantastic, and the glare isn't as bad as I expected. The big caveat of course is that it uses PWM, but luckily I don't notice it.

A lot of people in the overclock.net forums are reporting that it's really easy to take the glass off if the glare does bother you. I might consider it at some point. But overall this thing is amazing value at $600.

You can even run it at 3840x1646 to mimic the 21:9 34" ultrawide (with blackbars of course).

e: biggest downside is the speakers, they are horrifically bad. Not useable at all.

Oooh, and the Crossover 404K just went down to $620. I guess it's still a bit of a toss-up between the Crossover and the AMH if the glass really is that easy to remove, and assuming the housing still somewhat attractive with the glass off. At this point, it's about what's important to you:

Crossover 404K:
+ No glass
+ Flicker-free backlight (the only model in this class I know that has this)
- Users have bad things to say about the stand (e.g. it leans forward)
- Power brick. Probably a huge one, considering the demands of a 40" panel.

AMH A399U:
+ No power brick
+ Consistently the cheapest in class (although only by a margin of $20 right now)
+ Glass stand with two supports. Probably not great, but surely better than the Crossover. Won't scratch unless that's where you keep your diamond and steel wool collection.
+ Also has HDMI 2.0 in addition to DisplayPort 1.2 if you needed it for some reason
- Tempered glass. No polarization or other anti-glare treatment. Dust can get trapped during assembly.
- Cord permanently attached. Uses type C plug, so other regions will need adapter.

Personally, I probably would have still gone with the Crossover, but I just managed to snag a new open box Seiki Pro 40" for $650, and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Trip report soon to come.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 10, 2015

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Speaking of monitor arms: Most of them are specced for size and weight.
With big screens getting lighter, is the size spec actually important?

I'm considering getting a 34" 21:9 screen later this year and would like to put it on an Ergotron Neo-Flex or MX, which according to the spec sheet can hold screens <30" but up to 30 lbs.

The Neo-Flex supposedly can hold <22" and 18 lbs.

I'm waiting for the ACER IPS/G-Sync, but the LG 34" screen for instance weighs just under 18 lbs.

Is weight the deciding factor when selecting a monitor arm or is balancing a much larger screens something I'd need to consider as well?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zorilla posted:

Oooh, and the Crossover 404K just went down to $620. I guess it's still a bit of a toss-up between the Crossover and the AMH if the glass really is that easy to remove, and assuming the housing still somewhat attractive with the glass off. At this point, it's about what's important to you:

Yeah, depending on how the 404K is reviewed, I might take the AMH to work and get a 404K for home.

Another minor con for the AMH is that the power cord is stupidly short. You basically need an outlet or power strip directly below it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KS posted:

I use the three-way version of that one and it's really nice, but it's a tight fit to do a wraparound setup with a single 24 in the center and two 20s on the sides, I don't think you'd be able to do anything except straight in line with three 24s.

edit: Also the vertical angle hold screws are impossible to get a good flexible but holding setting with, so you basically have to find your spot and crank 'em down. The side by side flexibility works perfectly though.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

mcbexx posted:

Speaking of monitor arms: Most of them are specced for size and weight.
With big screens getting lighter, is the size spec actually important?

I'm considering getting a 34" 21:9 screen later this year and would like to put it on an Ergotron Neo-Flex or MX, which according to the spec sheet can hold screens <30" but up to 30 lbs.
I have an Ergotron MX holding up my 34UM95P right now. It's done far better than my U2711 that was heavier by more than 10 pounds.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

TheQat posted:

Are there any more IPS G-sync monitors known to be on the horizon? I'm really put off by the QC issues with the Acer, ease of RMAs notwithstanding
This.

I stumbled over the 1440p144 one from Acer earlier, and I was like "Woooooo, awesome colors for photo editing, and G-sync for gamez!" Hell, it doesn't do PWM either, another win. Then I entered this thread and I run into posts of QC issues. :saddowns:

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

This.

I stumbled over the 1440p144 one from Acer earlier, and I was like "Woooooo, awesome colors for photo editing, and G-sync for gamez!" Hell, it doesn't do PWM either, another win. Then I entered this thread and I run into posts of QC issues. :saddowns:

asus is making one but I think its going to have a bezel made by mad katz

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Asus one will be FreeSync apparently? I don't think that'll work with NVidia cards (yet)?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Asus one will be FreeSync apparently? I don't think that'll work with NVidia cards (yet)?

It will be GSYNC. https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/06/asus-34-ultrawide-qhd-ips-219-curved-g-sync-monitor/

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I will definitely be RMA'ing this guy. I think it's getting worse as I never noticed it early on, but now I can see it on the Windows 8 load screen and in Final Fantasy XIV as well. I already had an RMA approved for a bright pixel so it's not going to be a hassle, but it is disappointing. Still love the monitor overall though :)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Given the choice I'd probably rather have a power brick than not. The monitor has a power brick somewhere, guaranteed, you don't run a panel on 120V AC. That means that it's built into the monitor, which makes for a thicker monitor, and if the brick dies you can't replace it. All my current panels have built-in power bricks and I've never seen one die, but in in the abstract I'd prefer the external brick. It wouldn't keep me from buying a monitor that I otherwise wanted.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 11, 2015

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Paul MaudDib posted:

Given the choice I'd probably rather have a power brick than not. The monitor has a power brick somewhere, guaranteed, you don't run a panel on 120V AC. That means that it's built into the monitor, which makes for a thicker monitor, and if the brick dies you can't replace it. All my current panels have built-in power bricks and I've never seen one die, but in in the abstract I'd prefer the external brick. It wouldn't keep me from buying a monitor that I otherwise wanted.

Yeah, pretty much all electronics require DC voltage and use a power supply of some sort. Personally, I prefer internal power supplies because that's one less thing to less with when doing cable management. If they fail, you can usually find spares on eBay easily, or just replace the caps or MOSFETs to get it working again.

And on any TV or monitor I've seen, power supply boards almost never have a significantly thicker profile than the signal board, and it's nothing that would warrant making the housing bigger. If you take a look at the inside of a QNIX monitor or similar, there is a lot of empty space inside where a PSU would fit, had the manufacturer decided to put it there. The decision to make a PSU external is rarely about space savings, and more about skipping a step in safety certification.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 11, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I should have been more specific. I'm more interested in a 27" display, that's also somewhat affordable.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Zorilla posted:

Yeah, pretty much all electronics require DC voltage and use a power supply of some sort. Personally, I prefer internal power supplies because that's one less thing to less with when doing cable management. If they fail, you can usually find spares on eBay easily, or just replace the caps or MOSFETs to get it working again.

And on any TV or monitor I've seen, power supply boards almost never have a significantly thicker profile than the signal board, and it's nothing that would warrant making the housing bigger. If you take a look at the inside of a QNIX monitor or similar, there is a lot of empty space inside where a PSU would fit, had the manufacturer decided to put it there. The decision to make a PSU external is rarely about space savings, and more about skipping a step in safety certification.
I guess it also makes it easier when shipping to countries with different electricity supplies, they can just throw in the correct adapter or transformer to suit etc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Combat Pretzel posted:

I should have been more specific. I'm more interested in a 27" display, that's also somewhat affordable.

Qnix 27s are unbeatable for their price.
The Acer IPS/gsync/144hz (And the ones following it) are probably the biggest game changing upgrade you can buy to your PC since an SSD, if you enjoy games. Unfortunately, it's also still priced like an early SSD.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

An Asus 1440p, 144 Hz IPS with G-Sync is on the horizon, slated for release in late August: http://www.overclock.net/t/1558309/various-asus-debuts-rog-swift-pg279q-144hz-ips-and-g-sync/0_50

They are working on a Freesync display as well: http://www.overclock.net/t/1534297/pc-per-ces-2015-asus-mg279q-wqhd-gaming-monitor-with-144hz-ips-panel/0_50

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 11, 2015

Smrtz
May 26, 2015
I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread before, but here's a pretty awesome looking 28in 4k 60Hz display for 400$ on monoprice.

Also, having just started reading this thread, is the OP still full of relevant info? Or is it mostly antiquated by now and I shouldn't bother to read it?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Smrtz posted:

I'm not sure if this has been posted in this thread before, but here's a pretty awesome looking 28in 4k 60Hz display for 400$ on monoprice.

Also, having just started reading this thread, is the OP still full of relevant info? Or is it mostly antiquated by now and I shouldn't bother to read it?

All the 28" 4k screens out there are TN, sadly, (Including that one) so best save the money.

Smrtz
May 26, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

All the 28" 4k screens out there are TN, sadly, (Including that one) so best save the money.

Really? What's wrong with TN? I should probably read the OP...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
There's a couple images in the OP that show the dramatic difference between TN and *VA or IPS screens. No one spending over 80$ on a monitor should buy a TN one.

Smrtz
May 26, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

There's a couple images in the OP that show the dramatic difference between TN and *VA or IPS screens. No one spending over 80$ on a monitor should buy a TN one.

Oh god thank you! I almost bought just bought two since I thought they were IPS... Thank you for saving me from that...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Deadly Hume posted:

I guess it also makes it easier when shipping to countries with different electricity supplies, they can just throw in the correct adapter or transformer to suit etc.

Yeah, but it's not like input-flexible power supplies are exactly rocket science, most switching power supplies support all common household voltages. They just change out the cord to the wall for inline bricks or the plug segment on a wall-wart. Same thing with an internal supply, just change out the cord for different markets. Aside from audio equipment and probably some high-end radio gear most power supplies these days are switching rather than linear.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you want mid sized 4k screens, look at the Dell P2715q or HP Z27s. They're more expensive, but they're also IPS.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I trying to wait for HDM 2.0 (not really sure why though if DP gets me 60Hz at 4k, just don't want a new purchase to be obsolete so soon I guess) but I've had the BenQ BL3201PH, 32" IPS LED 4K Monitor with 32-Inch LED-Lit Screen sitting in my cart for a while and it's getting hard to ignore it lately.

Someone tell me I should wait for a better <$1000 30-32" 4k monitor. Any upcoming products about to hit the street? Just for general use, movies, etc. I'm not much of a gamer, mostly turn based strategy so refresh rates aren't that important.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bagarthach posted:

I trying to wait for HDM 2.0 (not really sure why though if DP gets me 60Hz at 4k, just don't want a new purchase to be obsolete so soon I guess) but I've had the BenQ BL3201PH, 32" IPS LED 4K Monitor with 32-Inch LED-Lit Screen sitting in my cart for a while and it's getting hard to ignore it lately.

Someone tell me I should wait for a better <$1000 30-32" 4k monitor. Any upcoming products about to hit the street? Just for general use, movies, etc. I'm not much of a gamer, mostly turn based strategy so refresh rates aren't that important.

Why not just get the Crossover 404K discussed above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Papercut posted:

Why not just get the Crossover 404K discussed above?

I can't find a review of it via Google -- what am I doing wrong?