Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Two Finger posted:

i've watched it probably 9 times by now but holy loving gently caress band of brothers
holy gently caress

It is very very close to The Wire as "Best Televison Program Ever". I think it edges Omar just a little.

Miles better than The Pacific. I have hopes for the 8th Air Force miniseries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Holy gently caress, I had no clue they were doing an air force series. HBO is more than just game of thrones to me right now...

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

True Detective season 2 in 2 weeks. :fap:

It looks like HBO has a fair crop of shows coming up. I'll give Ballers a try just 'cause The Rock, and who knows about the Jack Black-in-Iran one, might be funny, might blow, gonna give it a try though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Orange is the New Black in two days

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That reminds me I gave my Secret Santa giant Star Lord to my nephew and he friggen loved it.

I'm glad!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

I'm may 20ish

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Every time I see something like this I am thankful for getting lucky in the genetic lottery.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I lied I'm not may 20ish

more like may 7th.5ish

length matters less than girth and both matter less than not having a gross anteater dick

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Every time I see something like this I am thankful for getting lucky in the genetic lottery.

:smug::hf::smug:

Victor Vermis posted:

I lied I'm not may 20ish

more like may 7th.5ish

length matters less than girth and both matter less than not having a gross anteater dick

yes

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cock rings for all!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Cock rings for all!

Your sexual partner will thank you.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Bryce Dallas Howard will also kickstart a generation of dudes who are way into redheads who will never know exactly why.

Think about this while you jerk off.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

Man, I don't care what sort of dick you like to take.

brains
May 12, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

It is very very close to The Wire as "Best Televison Program Ever". I think it edges Omar just a little.

Miles better than The Pacific. I have hopes for the 8th Air Force miniseries.

the pacific was just too goddamn depressing and dark. i mean, yeah, they worked hard to portray how awful that campaign was but jesus, at the end of the day it's still supposed to be somewhat entertaining, not ' tropical schindler's list.'

also, it helps if your characters actually have some kind of charisma.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

brains posted:

This was my main issue. I can take all that horrors of war poo poo as long as I give a poo poo about the characters. Otherwise it's just a docudrama.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

brains posted:

the pacific was just too goddamn depressing and dark. i mean, yeah, they worked hard to portray how awful that campaign was but jesus, at the end of the day it's still supposed to be somewhat entertaining, not ' tropical schindler's list.'

if you read the books it was based on, they made it about 1000x more lighthearted. the books were some very grim and nasty stuff.

poo poo like digging a trench and not being able to find a spot that didn't have multiple decaying bodies and being told gently caress you dig anyways

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would imagine making anything from the Pacific theater lighthearted is nearly impossible.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yay elbow surgery!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

welp pretty sure i bombed my physics final, on the bright side i think half the class did too

brains
May 12, 2004

at the date posted:

This was my main issue. I can take all that horrors of war poo poo as long as I give a poo poo about the characters. Otherwise it's just a docudrama.

exactly. it's not like band of brothers pulled any punches, especially with the shelling of the ardennes or finding the camps, but they at least filled the gaps with people that weren't turned into robots after the first ground assault.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yay elbow surgery!

How are you still alive? Seems like something is always wrong or is this because of the auto accident

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Plus BoB had Guarnere who was the best rear end in a top hat.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
dadmomchat

Older goon couple aspiring to parenthood with no savings asks BFC for financial advice. When told "you have to stop buying literally every piece of Star Wars merchandise in existence [not an exaggeration btw, this is the husband's stated goal]," futuremom says "that is not an option" like they were telling her to shoot her dog.

e: holy poo poo haha

quote:

Selling things is not an option because it pains me to give up possessions.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 10, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

How are you still alive? Seems like something is always wrong or is this because of the auto accident
We should just go ahead and make him Robocop already.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

at the date posted:

dadmomchat

Older goon couple aspiring to parenthood with no savings asks BFC for financial advice. When told "you have to stop buying literally every piece of Star Wars merchandise in existence [not an exaggeration btw, this is the husband's stated goal]," futuremom says "that is not an option" like they were telling her to shoot her dog.

Meanwhile my state's senate passed a law that will make it harder for same-sex couples to adopt :sigh:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
This whole phenomenon of "accepting and loving yourself as you are" as an excuse to avoid change seems like a new thing. 10 or maybe 20 years ago, I can't imagine some dumb bitch saying things like this completely shamelessly:

1. goon: "Selling things is not an option because it pains me to give up possessions."

2. coworker: "Books are so boring!"

3. another really fat coworker: "I have such a sweet tooth, put a tub of chocolate ice cream in front of me and I'll eat the whole thing haha!"

4: same as #2: "I get soooooo drunk on the weekends but I drive anyway. I feel like if you're already a bad driver, being drunk will make you worse, but a good driver just becomes an OK driver."

I've heard all of these in the last week.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

at the date posted:

This whole phenomenon of "accepting and loving yourself as you are" as an excuse to avoid change seems like a new thing. 10 or maybe 20 years ago, I can't imagine some dumb bitch saying things like this completely shamelessly:

1. goon: "Selling things is not an option because it pains me to give up possessions."

3. another really fat coworker: "I have such a sweet tooth, put a tub of chocolate ice cream in front of me and I'll eat the whole thing haha!"

4: same as #2: "I get soooooo drunk on the weekends but I drive anyway. I feel like if you're already a bad driver, being drunk will make you worse, but a good driver just becomes an OK driver."

Nuke the planet into ashes, then nuke the ashes.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Terrible Robot posted:

Nuke the planet into ashes, then nuke the ashes.

I was never one of these people (I don't think I was in the military long enough to develop this worldview in my early 20s) but I think I'm getting there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

at the date posted:

Convince 3. to go to parties with 2. and solve both problems at once, eventually.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

at the date posted:

on the other hand seeing things like this make me feel a million times better about myself

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nick Soapdish posted:

This is car wreck poo poo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

on the other hand seeing things like this make me feel a million times better about myself

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

at the date posted:

dadmomchat

I do not understand this thread. A couple is pulling in almost $100k a year, their house isn't extravagantly expensive, only one car, and they need financial advise for some reason?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

They're idiot manchildren and blow all of their money on Star Wars poo poo and have no investments. Also, she's off birth control.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I do not understand this thread. A couple is pulling in almost $100k a year, their house isn't extravagantly expensive, only one car, and they need financial advise for some reason?

The reason is that, at age 42, the husband is spending more of their income on toys, literal plastic toys for children, than any other category. And they eat out for every meal. To the point where absolutely nothing of an $8,000 paycheck is leftover each month. No retirement money, no savings of any kind except a nebulous and unspecified "trust" from the husband's parents.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Spicy Guacamole posted:

They're idiot manchildren and blow all of their money on Star Wars poo poo and have no investments. Also, she's off birth control.

Oh good.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Spicy Guacamole posted:

oh yeah, I forgot, the reason they don't contribute to retirement accounts is that they "don't trust investments." right back to my point about shamelessly spouting stupid crap.

"I'm a hoarder and I refuse to save money. I need financial advice, but don't advise me to change either of those things because they're who I am!!!!"

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 10, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

at the date posted:

The reason is that, at age 42, the husband is spending more of their income on toys, literal plastic toys for children, than any other category. And they eat out for every meal. To the point where absolutely nothing of an $8,000 paycheck is leftover each month. No retirement money, no savings of any kind except a nebulous and unspecified "trust" from the husband's parents.

Do you know how disgusted I'd be with myself if I had no retirement fund but at the same time I could feed, clothe, and house like an entire African village on what I spend on children's toys a month?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Back to cooking chat, I just made the best indoor steak ever. Brought out my cast iron to do it steakhouse style with an NY strip.

1. Heat skillet in oven to 500 degrees
2. Pat dry and season steak with S+P
3. Remove skillet, put over high heat on stove. Sear steak in skillet one minute each side.
4. Return skillet to oven with steak, flip after two minutes per side
5. Remove steak from heat and let rest under tin foil for five minutes

Perfect brown crust, sear line inside with medium rare middle. Ate it just like that with no sauce or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Skillets rule and I baby mine. I think it's just because seasoning it through use is like leveling it up

• Locked thread