Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm going to install my Breedt short shifter arm and Boomba transmission bracket bushings into my Focus ST sometime in the next few days. I've watched a video on the bushings install but didn't see one covering the installation of the arm so I'll be following Breedt's instruction handout for that.

Anything I should know about this before breaking into it, anything that might make things easier on myself?

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I've joined the hot hatch club with a focus st. First thing I have done is turned off the hill assist cause I have no idea how to modulate the clutch with that thing when backing out of my driveway.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Optimus Subprime posted:

I've joined the hot hatch club with a focus st. First thing I have done is turned off the hill assist cause I have no idea how to modulate the clutch with that thing when backing out of my driveway.

It shouldn't even do anything at all in reverse. It should only keep you from rolling backwards when you have the car in a forward gear and the clutch fully depressed. I let my car roll backwards in the driveway all the time, the hill assist has never once done anything.

Also, grats the new car.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Hmm, so it doesn't do anything when reversing up a hill?

Just tried it, the hill assist most definitely works in reverse as well.

Quick dumb question, the ecotec only needs regular unleaded, right? I didn't see anywhere on the manual stating that it needed a higher octane gas, so I assume the compression ratio of the engine is relatively low?

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 31, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I could swear hill assist works in reverse on my Subaru. But it's also in opposite directions—it stops me from rolling forwards.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Hill assist works in reverse.

Focus st update: Installed my depo 3" dp today. Fits as well as the intercooler, rough finish but solid quality for real cheap. Pm me for 5% off a depo order.

Installed the Cobb stage 3 tune. Car is real fun now. Lots of easily manipulated power. Do it if you have not.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Optimus Subprime posted:

Hmm, so it doesn't do anything when reversing up a hill?

Just tried it, the hill assist most definitely works in reverse as well.

Quick dumb question, the ecotec only needs regular unleaded, right? I didn't see anywhere on the manual stating that it needed a higher octane gas, so I assume the compression ratio of the engine is relatively low?

The Ecoboost in my FiST bumps power to ~197 with premium, lowers to 180 or so with regular. I only run 93, its not much more expensive.

I also rented an escape with the 1.6t EB and i burned the first tank which I'm sure was regular and it got awful mileage, then as per the manual threw in 93 "for best results" and got about 5-10 better mpg.

basically you should always use at least 91 in a high compression or turbo motor unless the manual explicitly states 87.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Good to know, its odd that they don't mention that anywhere in the manual.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I misunderstood on the hill assist, my driveway slopes down, not up, and it never occurred to me you were talking about reversing uphill.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Yes it works in reverse, and either way it only stops you from rolling opposite the gear you are in.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

Optimus Subprime posted:

Good to know, its odd that they don't mention that anywhere in the manual.

It doesn't mention this in the supplemental ST manual? I'm too lazy right now to walk out to my ST and check that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Optimus Subprime posted:

Missed this. Yes, the Focus ST can run on regular, but it gives you higher power output on Premium, just like the Fiesta does. I just run premium and don't worry about it.

TrinityOfDeath posted:

It doesn't mention this in the supplemental ST manual? I'm too lazy right now to walk out to my ST and check that.

Yes, it's in the manual. The published power numbers are on premium if I remember right.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah, the specifications table in the ST supplement gives different horsepower numbers for 87 and 93 octane. However, later in the manual it states 87 octane is the gas that should be put in it (has a little graphic with the gas pump label with "87" on it).

It's kinda stupid.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah, the specifications table in the ST supplement gives different horsepower numbers for 87 and 93 octane. However, later in the manual it states 87 octane is the gas that should be put in it (has a little graphic with the gas pump label with "87" on it).

It's kinda stupid.

I use 87 in the winter and 93 in the summer. I've never noticed any performance issues or significant mileage hits. It's nice to be mix it up a bit.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I finished installing my Breedt Short Shift Arm and Boomba bracket bushings into the Focus ST today. I think most estimates say this should have taken 1.5-2 hrs.

It took me about 4.5. I am not mechanically experienced, so I expect someone who knew more about working on cars could have done this much more quickly.

Disassembly wasn't too bad. The horizontally oriented bolt on the transmission cable bracket was a pain to reach, and I didn't have a ratcheting box wrench so it was time consuming for me to keep re-attaching the wrench to the bolt for another turn.

The roll pin holding the old shift arm in place was almost impossible to get out. I struck at it for about 45min-1hr with a mallet and toward the very end it finally started moving ever so slightly. A neighbor had a mechanic friend over by their house and he came over and finished removing the pin for me. I'd feel worse about being a pussy, but my neighbor is a body builder and he couldn't get the drat thing out of there either. I think it just took a more experienced hammer-swinger to get it done. There isn't a ton of room to get a good swing going.

The shift arm itself was missing a washer (supposed to have 4 with the kit) so I had to make a run to buy more. I now have 24 spares if I decide to add washers to stuff around my house.

Installing the new bushings was straight forward. Putting the bracket back in place wasn't a big deal, except that the horizontal bolt took a while to tighten back down again, as I expected it would. Leaning over the car for hours on end was not great on my lower back and legs, I don't envy you guys who do this for a living. Attaching the shifter cables back to their spots on the bracket wasn't easy. For some reason the collars weren't pushing back far enough and I couldn't reliably get a tool on them without slipping. It took a lot of knuckle busting and cursing to get them back into place.

The shifter arm installed pretty easily compared to the rest of the process. I tightened everything down and verified that the shifter moved into all the gears properly.

The sun set and I was not well equipped to continue work past dark, so I had some trouble getting the intake air box screwed back in. I couldn't see the snap clips that hold the air filter in its proper position so it took longer than necessary to realize I was being a moron and trying to close it up without the filter being secured. When I tightened one of the bolts for the air filter cover, it stripped out the plastic. Oh well, the rest tightened up no problem (and I was more careful to not over torque them).

I set the arm for 40% at the stock shifter position. Between that and the new bushings, switching between gears is very snappy. I feel it's a bit more stiff getting it into each gear, but very positive feeling, and I like the shorter throw a lot. It may be in my head, but 5th and 6th gear feel like they're in a different zip code now, laterally, than the first four. I don't know, it's probably just an odd perception thing on my part. I will say, however, that after driving it for only 10 minutes, it already feels completely normal. I don't perceive it as being "short," just "correct." Definitely glad I made this modification.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 2, 2015

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Might be downgrading my '15 FiST to a Fiesta SE 1.0 turbo hatch on Sunday. My lease is up in January anyway so I may just trade it in early and get the 3 banger - the ST and its rubber band tires have been all but useless in NYC, and I never really never get to wail on it anymore or do autocross.
My dealership has one in stock for a good price and actually has heated seats but not much else.

Going to miss the recaros the most. Also how does a car still have drum brakes in 2015??

I'll be departing the hot hatch club and joining the slightly warmed over, a little cold in the middle hatch club :(

Oh well still got my bike! weeeeeeee!!!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Voltage posted:

Also how does a car still have drum brakes in 2015??

It's cheaper and more reliable to do the handbrake with drum rear brakes than it is with discs. As me about having a drum-in-disc handbrake spontaneously lock up while driving in traffic, necessitating a $750 brake job.

Plus 80+% of the braking on a road car is handled by the front brakes, the rear brakes are basically only there to prevent the car from swapping ends.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Drum breaks are fine on the rear, discs on the rear imo is really a cosmetic thing for road cars.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BigPaddy posted:

Drum breaks are fine on the rear, discs on the rear imo is really a cosmetic thing for road cars.

Yeah, except for the entire "pretty much all modern consumer cars use rear brake actuation for stability control, and in some cases, to increase turning capabilities" thing that's going on.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Voltage posted:

Might be downgrading my '15 FiST to a Fiesta SE 1.0 turbo hatch on Sunday. My lease is up in January anyway so I may just trade it in early and get the 3 banger - the ST and its rubber band tires have been all but useless in NYC, and I never really never get to wail on it anymore or do autocross.
My dealership has one in stock for a good price and actually has heated seats but not much else.

Going to miss the recaros the most. Also how does a car still have drum brakes in 2015??

I'll be departing the hot hatch club and joining the slightly warmed over, a little cold in the middle hatch club :(

Oh well still got my bike! weeeeeeee!!!

I picked up a Focus with that engine recently and somehwat wish I had gone with the Fiesta. The focus is a better car, the Fiesta is better with that engine. Oh well...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Sigma X posted:

Yeah, except for the entire "pretty much all modern consumer cars use rear brake actuation for stability control, and in some cases, to increase turning capabilities" thing that's going on.

Which is silly as not everyone is driving their car like they are on a tarmac rally stage but I expect a lot of it is safety regulation and doing rare break actuation is the cheapest way to meet it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I think it's less about racing as it is other situations where the back end might slide, such as ice/snow/rain. It just doesn't hurt that it can also be toted as a 'racing feature' when talking about a car like the ST's

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Dr.Caligari posted:

I think it's less about racing as it is other situations where the back end might slide, such as ice/snow/rain. It just doesn't hurt that it can also be toted as a 'racing feature' when talking about a car like the ST's

Notice I didn't mention "torque vectoring", the poor-man's poor-man's LSD. Which is precisely the same thing as what's happening on the rear disks, but on the driven wheels; the ST has it (as does my Cayman). And let me tell you, if you DO drive like racecar all the time, it will eat your pads and rotors at an incredible rate.

A Quaife diff (which is just a poor man's LSD) is only another grand, why not replace the factory open diff with a Quaife?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think you answered your own question there - it costs another grand for a feature that is fairly difficult to explain.

Especially seeing as the brake based systems usually work quite well (and that brake wear issue is not going to become apparent until after you've had the car a while). Much more likely the manufacturer will add a useless touchscreen entertainment system instead - at least that is something the dealer can show off.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Anyone who has done the Ford ST Octane Academy... What's the schedule like? I know the day starts at 8AM, but how late does it go? I'm registered in September.

Edit: Found it in their FAQ. It goes until 5.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 18, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Anyone who has done the Ford ST Octane Academy... What's the schedule like? I know the day starts at 8AM, but how late does it go? I'm registered in September.

Edit: Found it in their FAQ. It goes until 5.

The actual academy part ended around 3:45, then there were the end of day presentations, and then anyone who wanted to could go do the karts bit afterwards. I think I was driving out the gate after doing the karts just before 5pm, the people who chose to skip the karts left just after 4pm.

E: Also, get there 30 minutes early and spend some time looking at the cars in the museum.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Haven't seen much in the thread from Abarth owners lately. How are you all enjoying/hating your cars?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've seen a surprising amount of 500's with one nonfunctional brake light. :italianelectronics: or worlds shittiest bulbs that burn out after a year or two?

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

I figured out that mine can haul a decent amount of sheetrock.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

I've seen a surprising amount of 500's with one nonfunctional brake light. :italianelectronics: or worlds shittiest bulbs that burn out after a year or two?

This isn't just a fiat thing, I've been noticing all kinds of cars with one burnt out brake light. It's weird.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bajaha posted:

fknlo posted:

This isn't just a fiat thing, I've been noticing all kinds of cars with one burnt out brake light. It's weird.

Such as my Audi A3:

gently caress

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
Hi I just wanna say I just bought a 2015 Golf R in red and I am in loving love with it. It's my first new car, my first hot hatch, and my first "nice" car.
Oh man.

Now everytime I am on the freeway in traffic, I am panicking about the person behind me that's texting instead of paying attention. PAY ATTENTION! Don't rear end my new carrrrrr!

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Finch! posted:

I don't own it yet, simply because it won't be here until December at the earliest, but I do own a large deposit on a Mercedes A45. My specs look like this, but with a massive sunroof:

I ordered it for my mother to replace her Mark V Golf GTI but I kinda sorta want to keep it for myself after seeing the first reviews...

No poo poo if this was in NA I would've bought this over my golf R in a HEARTBEAT.
This thing is amazing.
A-mazing.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Defghanistan posted:

Hi I just wanna say I just bought a 2015 Golf R in red and I am in loving love with it. It's my first new car, my first hot hatch, and my first "nice" car.

Post some pics if you get a chance.

I can't wait for the 2016s to drop. I really want one but want it with stick.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Defghanistan posted:

No poo poo if this was in NA I would've bought this over my golf R in a HEARTBEAT.
This thing is amazing.
A-mazing.

You need it with the really ridiculous aero package too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Defghanistan posted:

Oh man.

Now everytime I am on the freeway in traffic, I am panicking about the person behind me that's texting instead of paying attention. PAY ATTENTION! Don't rear end my new carrrrrr!

I keep on telling myself that I''ll be perfectly happy with my 2010 GTI for another two years and then I can get what I really want, but drat aren't those Rs tempting.

Only two years.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Franco Caution posted:

Post some pics if you get a chance.

I can't wait for the 2016s to drop. I really want one but want it with stick.

These are kind of poo poo pictures (because I haven't taken any nice ones) but here you go!
It's ridiculously fun and the interior puts the 2015 STI to shame. It's gorgeous, well built, and in sport mode it sounds AMAZING when it shifts.

Stick would be fun but I liked the DSG because:
I live in Seattle (traffic nightmare)
I eat and drink constantly in my car so having a free hand is nice
The DSG is fast as poo poo (.5 seconds faster to 60 than the stick) and having paddle/stick shifting anyway is pretty neato
I can't drive a stick very well ("Shame. Shame. Shame" - I am literally the naked Cersei Lannister)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Drove a Focus ST yesterday morning at an awesome enthusiast brunch. I really, really liked it. Really wondering if it would be worth stepping out of the MS6 for a FoST in the near future.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011

Ehud posted:

Haven't seen much in the thread from Abarth owners lately. How are you all enjoying/hating your cars?

I would like to know too. I test drove an abarth this weekend and loved it. It looks cool, especially in red, sounds awesome, and is agile with the 17"s. The cloth seats were meh and the cargo space was laughable, but as an affordable Italian vanity car, well, gently caress, I want one for irrational reasons.

I can't find a FiST near by, are they as rowdy as the Abarth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Bovril Delight posted:

You need it with the really ridiculous aero package too.

Ok I hate that spoiler but the rest of it...drat.
Seriously, the day they bring that to the states (never, probably) is the day I trade in my R and buy one. That's how much I like it.