Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

If you're working 8 hour days, and also driving for three+ hours every day on your incredible commute, you're gonna miss your kids a lot. Also, dinner.

One thing I will say to add to what the other guys said: make sure whatever car you get is super comfortable for you to sit in.

Ill be home by 6:30. It may be bad, but it's worth a shot. We can move closer if we need to eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

euphronius posted:

Ill be home by 6:30. It may be bad, but it's worth a shot. We can move closer if we need to eventually.

As a rich lawyer, why don't you just buy a helicopter or a train.

(Get a 2nd gen prius with about 100k mi. You want something where it has a fair number of miles, so your insane commute doesn't instantly kill the cars value. You'll get another 200k mi out of it. Also, gen2 because gen3s still hold value too much ad the new model).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

nm posted:

(Get a 2nd gen prius with about 100k mi. You want something where it has a fair number of miles, so your insane commute doesn't instantly kill the cars value. You'll get another 200k mi out of it. Also, gen2 because gen3s still hold value too much ad the new model).

This is the correct answer.

The Gen2 is rock solid, has a better dash design and plenty of headroom for someone 6'2 and up (I'm 6'4, and drove one with no issues whatsoever).

And you can find one 100k+ for probably 8-10k , depending on your area.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Proposed Budget: 20K-40K

New or Used: Don't care

Body Style: wagon or suv - must be able to seat 6.

How will you be using the car?: daily family use, daily commute (less than 10 miles), long family trips.

What aspects are most important to you? Must seat 6, must have AWD or 4wd (which means no minivans I think), bluetooth, rooffrack. MPG not important. Cannot be a ford flex.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

euphronius posted:

How will you be using the car?: daily family use, daily commute (less than 10 miles), long family trips.

What aspects are most important to you? Must seat 6, must have AWD or 4wd (which means no minivans I think), bluetooth, rooffrack. MPG not important. Cannot be a ford flex.

Is this for your wife's vehicle, or did your commute needs change? Why "Cannot be a Ford Flex"? You're probably looking at an AWD minivan like the Toyota Sienna AWD.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wife. She does not like the way the Flex looks.

It is just accidental we have car needs at same time. (And stressful.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

euphronius posted:

Wife. She does not like the way the Flex looks.

It is just accidental we have car needs at same time. (And stressful.)

Your wife is blind.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nm posted:

Your wife is blind.

I am taking her to dealership to make he actually sit in it because it is cavernous inside.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

I am taking her to dealership to make he actually sit in it because it is cavernous inside.

A guy I worked with had a high trim one is dark blue with the different color roof.
Another one's wife has the ecoboost one and he's modified it to like 450hp.

They're pretty cool.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was talking to a dealer about them and he said they have been hard to move because people usually opt for the Explorer or Edge over the flex once they get on the lot.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

euphronius posted:

I was talking to a dealer about them and he said they have been hard to move because people usually opt for the Explorer or Edge over the flex once they get on the lot.

The Ecoboost Flex is a monster, I'm hoping somebody buys them now so I can get one used in a couple years for $25k.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nm posted:

Your wife is blind.

It looks like someone tried to make a hearse look sporty.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.
Judging from the last page or so people really like the Prius. My wife and I are looking for a fuel efficient hatchback that won't have a lot of maintenance needed.
Our budget is 7k and I've found a 2008 Prius touring with 110k miles on it for just under that.
my own research shows mostly positive reviews with most complaints being about the uncomfortable seats.
I'm just looking in here to see if anyone can give me an idea of what kind of maintenance costs it might require or if that year/price point throw up any red flags.

Sadistic fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 10, 2015

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Sadistic posted:

Judging from the last page or so people really like the Prius. My wife and I are looking for a fuel efficient hatchback that won't have a lot of maintenance needed.
Our budget is 7k and I've found a 2008 Prius touring with 110k miles on it for just under that.
my own research shows mostly positive reviews with most complaints being about the uncomfortable seats.
I'm just looking in hear to see if anyone can give me an idea of what kind of maintenance costs it might require or if that year/price point throw up any red flags.

The Prius is extremely low maintenance. It is almost certainly your best choice given your criteria.

As for that specific year, that is part of generation 2, which is widely recommended here, so it is a good choice.

My only potential red flag is that $7k for a 110k mile 2008 Prius seems quite cheap to me. Is there cosmetic damage or something? Either way, get it inspected, but assuming that turns out reasonably well, jump on it!

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
It's on carfax with $7995 slashed out and marked at $6995. I'm assuming that it was recently marked down.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sadistic posted:

It's on carfax with $7995 slashed out and marked at $6995. I'm assuming that it was recently marked down.

Might be a good deal. Be diligent checking on the title, do a VIN check for flood cars, and when you're inspecting it look hard for flood damage (lots of tutorials online).

It's probably not far off bluebook value, but it's so regional that its hard to tell.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

euphronius posted:

AWD requirement is a big constraint - what do you need it for?

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
Thanks guys that helps a lot.
Is there any service you guys recommend for VIN checking? I'm leaning towards Autocheck.com and will likely run that after I talk to my wife tonight.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Don't forget the escape! It's weird ford has four vehicles targeting nearly the same market.

I'm thinking about replacing my 2005 Pontiac Vibe soon. What would be the modern counterpart that's also a bit more enjoyable to drive, both from interior comfort as well as handling? I'm in the Midwest with flat straight roads.
It seems the new Scion iB is the inheritor of the Vibe/Matrix/Corolla hatchback platform but I hate Scion's looks. The Focus and Mazda3 hatchback seem to be the best choices, but they also look like they have a lot less cargo space. Anything else I'm missing besides buy a Prius?

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 10, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Kia Soul?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Don't forget the escape! It's weird ford has four vehicles targeting nearly the same market.

I'm thinking about replacing my 2005 Pontiac Vibe soon. What would be the modern counterpart that's also a bit more enjoyable to drive, both from interior comfort as well as handling? I'm in the Midwest with flat straight roads.
It seems the new Scion iB is the inheritor of the Vibe/Matrix/Corolla hatchback platform but I hate Scion's looks. The Focus and Mazda3 hatchback seem to be the best choices, but they also look like they have a lot less cargo space. Anything else I'm missing besides buy a Prius?
The Subaru Crosstrek XV looks oddly similar to the early Vibes, as well.

I lost my Vibe last year and ended up getting a Honda Fit. The center console isn't quite as tall but it sits pretty similar otherwise. Good space, too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

AWD requirement is a big constraint - what do you need it for?

My wife had a really bad winter driving.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

euphronius posted:

My wife had a really bad winter driving.

Spend a grand and get her a set winter tires and steelies. That will do twice a much good as AWD.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

mastershakeman posted:

Check out a Jetta/Golf Sportwagen.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

euphronius posted:

Super long commute. 180 miles a day - 99% highway.

Holy loving poo poo, are you the judge at a dicksucking competition or making 10 figures or something? There is almost no job in the world I'd spend 20 hours a week driving to.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 11, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Old Man Pants posted:

Holy loving poo poo, are you the judge at a dicksucking competition or making 10 figures or something? There is almost no job in the world I'd spend 20 hours a week driving to.

Commutes that long aren't unheard of in the northeast corridor. I was doing 120 miles for awhile.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

99% ready to buy a 2016 Kia Sorento for wife. Any red flags on that car. I guess it is way too knew to know anything about.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Old Man Pants posted:

Its 15 hours at worst and eventually will be less.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

99% ready to buy a 2016 Kia Sorento for wife. Any red flags on that car. I guess it is way too knew to know anything about.

It is ugly. Hth. KIA is fine, but first year cars are kinda scary in general. It does appear that the drivetrains aren't changed much except the turbo though. I'd avoid a first year turbo for that reason.

Edit: did you buy a prius yet?

nm fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 11, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nm posted:

It is ugly. Hth.

Edit: did you buy a prius yet?

When I was at the dealer someone was trading in a 220,000 Gen 2 Prius!!!

But the insurance company wanted to total it rather than repair some body damage. So it's dead. So sad.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

euphronius posted:

When I was at the dealer someone was trading in a 220,000 Gen 2 Prius!!!

But the insurance company wanted to total it rather than repair some body damage. So it's dead. So sad.

You should've offered them 1500$ in the parking lot.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
There's a 2005 Camry on craigslist with 150k miles in my city asking $5600, supposedly in excellent/very good condition (mentions both). Was thinking of offering 5k even. Should I offer even lower or meet his asking price? This is going to be the first car I own, and I'm kind of a lovely driver, so 5k is the absolute most I want to spend (a little more than I want to, tbh).

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Proposed Budget: 12k - 17k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Compact car, coupe, or small sedan

How will you be using the car?:

Basic city and highway driving, I may attach a kayak or a bike rack to it.

What aspects are most important to you?

I strongly prefer manual transmission and cars with sporty handling/fun to drive. Fuel economy is a big plus. I was thinking a mazda 3, ford focus, or subaru wrx, but I don't know much about cars and hence I'm posting in this thread.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

All three are good choices. Go test drive a few and see which you like better.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the general goon consensus on convertibles?

I've never owned one but think it'd be interesting I can't think any drawbacks that'd be big deal aside from less trunk space which isn't that important to me.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I've never owned one but think it'd be interesting I can't think any drawbacks that'd be big deal aside from less trunk space which isn't that important to me.

If you buy a Miata, you don't lose any trunk space!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

lollybo posted:

Proposed Budget: 12k - 17k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Compact car, coupe, or small sedan

How will you be using the car?:

Basic city and highway driving, I may attach a kayak or a bike rack to it.

What aspects are most important to you?

I strongly prefer manual transmission and cars with sporty handling/fun to drive. Fuel economy is a big plus. I was thinking a mazda 3, ford focus, or subaru wrx, but I don't know much about cars and hence I'm posting in this thread.
The WRX will be the most "fun to drive" assumingvthe focus and mazda are not the "hot" versions. It will also be the least reliable. EJ257 (the engine in a WRX) has a fatal flaw that can cause the ringlands to fail, requiring an engine rebuild. It is a way too common problem given the expense to repair ($4k-6k). The ej is also an ancient engine that provides terrible FE. If you do get this car, ensure you check the oil every fillup.

The focus is kind of bland. Very nice inside. Consumer reports says they're not particularly reliable, but I think most issues are with the automatic and the touch screen system.

The mazda is pretty fun to drive. It and the focus will be down one power compared to the WRX though.

Other choices worth considering: Fiesta ST -- more fun than the focus or mazda. Good advertised FE. You might be able to sneak a new one for only a bit over 17k; mazdaspeed 3. See mazda 3, but with power and torque steer. Somewhat less reliable though.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Awesome post, much appreciated. How does the fiesta compare to a 7th generation civic in terms of size? I am a rather large person (6 ft) so I hope it is at least comparable to what I have now.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

It depends on which convertible we're talking about.

Convertibles are fuckin' awesome on the right car if you enjoy driving and don't mind some of the trade offs. I had a '95 Miata for 4+ years that I loved, unfortunately couldn't live with it as an only car anymore, but I am REALLY interested in possibly getting the new ND Miata when it launches now that I could feasibly own two cars. Roadsters are kick rear end.

Something like a cloth top Miata is dead simple. A manually-operated cloth top that is very well-engineered in the "K.I.S.S" kind of way. And it does not infringe on trunk space. You can basically open and close it with one hand from the driver's seat. The frame and latches of the top will basically never outright fail unless you really try to break them.

The downsides are:
  • Soft tops don't insulate sound very well so they are noisier. They also don't insulate heat/cold very well, but the cabin volume of a Miata is so small it doesn't matter -- the heater/AC can keep up just fine.
  • Soft tops are somewhat prone to vandalism. A slashed top is a real pain in the dick. A Miata top is probably the cheapest of all convertible tops to replace and it'll easily run you $800-1000+ for a good upholstery shop to do it, and depending on which type of top you get. It's technically DIY-able but it's a real pain in the rear end, but some goons can give first-hand experience.
  • If you park the car outside rather than in a garage, weather and sun damage will GREATLY accelerate the wear and tear on the top, especially if its cloth rather than vinyl. A garage-kept soft top can last 10+ years under normal circumstances.

Motorized soft tops come with most of the same benefits/downsides, but additionally:
  • Adds an order of magnitude more complexity and more parts to possibly break.
  • More expensive to repair/replace, especially on something like a Porsche.

And then there are folding hard top convertibles, which are a different beast entirely:
Pros:
  • Far less prone to weather damage or vandalism since they are metal body panels.
  • Less noisy (though still not fixed-roof quiet) and insulate heat/cold better.
  • The top is not a "wear item" with an expected lifetime like a soft top. Should never have to replace it, but you may have to repair it.

Cons:
  • WAY more complicated than a soft top. Way more possible ways it can break.
  • Except for the PRHT Miata, I think every folding hard top convertible more or less eats all the trunk space when retracted.
  • Almost exclusively found on expensive cars like Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc.
  • Relatedly, if it breaks, $$$$.

The notable exception is the Miata PRHT (power retractable hard top), which is generally far more reliable and less costly than any other folding hard top on the market. AND the Miata PRHT doesn't eat trunk space when retracted.

More generally, if you do want a convertible you want to buy a car that was designed from the ground up as a convertible. A fixed-roof car that was later modified to be a convertible almost always suffers from terrible chassis flex, hundreds of pounds of weight gain, and weird ergonomic/design issues as a result of the whole top of the car being different. Cars like the Miata, S2000, Boxster, Z3/Z4, SLK, etc. are all ground-up convertible designs. Cars like the Mustang, Sebring, 3/4-series convertible, C/E-class convertible, etc. are going to suffer when turned into convertibles. Also, 4-seater convertibles just look funny.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

lollybo posted:

Awesome post, much appreciated. How does the fiesta compare to a 7th generation civic in terms of size? I am a rather large person (6 ft) so I hope it is at least comparable to what I have now.
You'll fit in front just fine in basically any small car made today.
The back seat of a fiesta will be tight, in terms of cargo room it will be better than a civic because it is a hatch.

Edit if you're wide as well as tall, the fiesta st has optional recaro seats that can be extremely tight. Try both the regular and recaro seats.