Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Indeed, wonder if they will acknowledge the bit about being crippled on Convergence.

He got fixed immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

He got fixed immediately.

Yes, by Telos' powers but the sneak peek and this preview show E2 going on a very different direction to how the characters ended Convergence.

If anything, Dick struggling with his condition seems fitting for the grim tone I'm getting from E2 Society.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Does anyone know if Azzarello ended up on a book following Convergence? I can't seem to find anything for him after Future's End

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Trast posted:

DC Comics twitter just splashed up something to share your favorite Batman Beyond moments. Didn't they just killed off Terry McGinnis in the comics so they could exile Tim Drake to the future?

Man, I admittedly haven't read much DC in the past few years, but every time I hear about them I'm immediately hit with some "X popular character is screwed so editor's favorite character Y can show up more" anecdote, poo poo's like clockwork.

So as someone who hasn't read much comics in general, and even less DC comics, but am interested in this "everyone's back! forever! new stories with characters you might actually care about!" guff I'm vaguely interested (especially as someone who's never been particularly interested in serial hundred-issue continuity-as-thick-as-a-whale series). I don't suppose someone can rattle off a few recent good miniseries (doesn't matter if it's post or pre convergence), as well as ones that they think look promising? Preferably ones that don't require you having read multiple mediocre-to-bad miniseries beforehand to understand anything, if that wasn't obvious yet.

Like, I'm fine with hitting wikipedia to understand the gist of some dude but stuff like hearing the entirety Superboy's journey towards becoming some computer goonlord (or whatever the hell Aphrodite was trying to explain to me in a videogame to persuade me that DC Is Good a while back) is, well, yuck.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Nystral posted:

Does anyone know if Azzarello ended up on a book following Convergence? I can't seem to find anything for him after Future's End
No. He's been working on Dark Knight III, so I imagine that's why.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Man, I admittedly haven't read much DC in the past few years, but every time I hear about them I'm immediately hit with some "X popular character is screwed so editor's favorite character Y can show up more" anecdote, poo poo's like clockwork.

So as someone who hasn't read much comics in general, and even less DC comics, but am interested in this "everyone's back! forever! new stories with characters you might actually care about!" guff I'm vaguely interested (especially as someone who's never been particularly interested in serial hundred-issue continuity-as-thick-as-a-whale series). I don't suppose someone can rattle off a few recent good miniseries (doesn't matter if it's post or pre convergence), as well as ones that they think look promising? Preferably ones that don't require you having read multiple mediocre-to-bad miniseries beforehand to understand anything, if that wasn't obvious yet.

Like, I'm fine with hitting wikipedia to understand the gist of some dude but stuff like hearing the entirety Superboy's journey towards becoming some computer goonlord (or whatever the hell Aphrodite was trying to explain to me in a videogame to persuade me that DC Is Good a while back) is, well, yuck.

Recent, like the last few years?
What do you mean by miniseries? Till now with Bizarro, the only times they've really done miniseries are for big crossover event books.
There was recently Multiversity, which was a lot of fun, but might be intimidating as a big metatextual exploration of the DC Universe by a crazy man.
For some good completed runs from recent years where you can begin and end with one author's work: Grant Morrison's Action Comics (19 issues), Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman (36 issues), Jeff Lemire's Animal Man (32 issues) and Green Arrow (20 issues)

There are a few recent series/runs which aren't too old and are very self contained: Stewart/Fletcher's Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Grayson, Justice League 3000, Gotham by Midnight, Genevieve Valentine's Catwoman, Geoff Johns' Superman.
Then all the new launching books from the OP, you'll hear are good or not in this thread all month. Most of those starting should be approachable. Use those preview comics.
Manhunter ruled last week!

Do you have any sort of preference?

e:

https://www.comixology.com/DC-Universe-Week-2-Sale/page/6957?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Batman Beyond (2010)
Batman Incorporated (2012)
Batman and Robin (2011) + Robin Rises Alpha + Omega
Dr. Fate (1987)
Green Lantern Corps (2011)
Hitman #1-40
JLA (1997) #47-54
Justice League 3000
Omega Men (1983)
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Futures End

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 9, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Buy The Black Mirror and Batwoman: Elegy.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
DC opening up the whole storyboard for the writers is a good idea. Marvel's been having success with having a unified plan but still letting the writers do cool stories that may not line up with the movies. So in theory if someone wants to bring back Cass or Stephanie or whatever they should be able to. Of course Dido and the other editors could still be dicks about it and lock out characters despite this.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Cassandra Cain has been heavily hinted by Snyder and the rest of the Batman team to be coming back this year. I imagine the next Eternal, which is unofficially announced as happening, will be the gateway for that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's a spread from Hellblazer.

I didn't love the Sneak Peek, but I'll try that. Neat.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I wonder how that will translate into digital. Just rotate and make it a very large image or split it into two pages?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's a spread from Hellblazer.

I didn't love the Sneak Peek, but I'll try that. Neat.

I see, but how will I know Nick Lachey's candy preference from this spread?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

TwoPair posted:

No it's like 7 pages before that

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

TwoPair posted:

Now I'm just waiting for the Darkseid Peanut Butter Twix War Variant Covers for every book going forward. All building up to the actual event book in Summer 2017.

You'll also have Martian Manhunter as the lone defector/"neutral" for the Oreo Sandwich Cookie Faction. It'll truly be the sweetest event book of all time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Volfogg posted:

Now I'm just waiting for the Darkseid Peanut Butter Twix War Variant Covers for every book going forward. All building up to the actual event book in Summer 2017.

You'll also have Martian Manhunter as the lone defector/"neutral" for the Oreo Sandwich Cookie Faction. It'll truly be the sweetest event book of all time.

I'd put good money on General Mills Cereal themed covers happening before too long.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd take an omnibus of all the promotional comics the big two have had to do.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

I'd put good money on General Mills Cereal themed covers happening before too long.
Geoff Johns cereal obsession finally comes in full.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

lotus circle posted:

"Do it?" Dan DiDio, I'm not a cereal villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my linewide reboot if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

lotus circle posted:

Uh... Come again?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

HitTheTargets posted:

Uh... Come again?
All you need to know.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
He goes to cereal conventions

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Cereal killer is just Johnsian literalism at its worst.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Red Hood/Arsenal was everything I wanted and more :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 10, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Half expected Peter David to show up halfway through to remonstrate with him over it.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

This week's batman was great.

I loathed Death of the Family and after reflecting on it I think Endgame was pretty poo poo too but Snyder is fantastic when he's not writing Joker.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Batman's appearance in Section 8 was *perfect*.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So new week, new comics.

Detective was really solid, the focus on the GCPD makes it work perfectly as the companion book for Batman

Suicide Squad wasn't horrible and the art was finally decent but still, it was the worst book this week.

I tried to give Harley a chance but nope, isn't a book I like. Is still too random and when a Popeye ripoff showed up I had enough.

Constantine was good but just like Harley its tone isn't something that I enjoy. With any luck Tynion will be a better writer when he returns to writing duties on the batman books.

E2 Society tackled right of the bat all my complaints with the sneak peek and while the time jump is kind of a lazy plot device it kept me interested. An indeed, Dick's status was acknowledged and most likely will be a plot point down the line.

Section Eight was really weird but not my style.

Batman/Superman was pretty drat good although the fact the story keeps alluding issues that aren't out yet is driving me nuts. Defintely interested to see where Truth is going.

Starfire made Kori a virtual copy of the cartoon version. Awesome for those who enjoyed that characterization but I find it incredibly irritating so thanks, but no thanks. Good art tho.

Red Hood/Arsenal was amazing, Medri work feels and looks (thanks to a better work by his colorist) more polished than it looked on the sneak peek. Lobdell keeps showing how good is his grasp on the boys and delivered a solid story that is simply fun, action and banter from start to beginning. Can't wait to see what kind of problems the boys gets into.

We're off to a good start :allears:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

Does someone throw up on his shoes?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why are they shooting at the Eiffel Tower and why is the first panel a shot of Red Hood's crotch?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

Why are they shooting at the Eiffel Tower and why is the first panel a shot of Red Hood's crotch?

They are fighting mimes, isn't that great? :allears:

As for the other question, I don't think that Jason's crotch is the focus of that panel but different strokes I guess v:v:v

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So wait Harley Quinn is too 'random' for you but killer mimes isn't? That's the most monkey penguin cheese spork thing in this entire relaunch.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

So wait Harley Quinn is too 'random' for you but killer mimes isn't? That's the most monkey penguin cheese spork thing in this entire relaunch.

Because Harley lacks a straight man to bounce off all the randomness. On Red Hood, Jason fills that role neatly while in Harley everyone is nuts.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Wow, Constantine was really loving good. Probably my favorite book of the relaunch so far.

Riley Rossmo kills it on art. I hope he gets to draw more crazy layouts.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's how Convergence is being collected

quote:

CONVERGENCE HC
Written by JEFF KING, SCOTT LOBDELL and DAN JURGENS
Art by ETHAN VAN SCIVER, CARLO PAGULAYAN, STEPHEN SEGOVIA, ANDY KUBERT, AARON LOPRESTI and others
Cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER
On sale OCTOBER 7 • 320 pg, FC, $29.99 US

Where do worlds go when they die? The earthquakes felt round the Multiverse, Superman’s lost days after “Doomed,” the world’s end—all these points will converge as the history of the DC Universe is spun from the perspective of a mad god and his arrogant child. The biggest story in DC history ties into literally every DC story ever told—and it all begins here. Kingdom Come, Red Son, Wild West Justice League, Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew—all the worlds of the DC Universe can still be found on Telos. This new mega-event from the issues #0-8 of the CONVERGENCE weekly series brings together heroes and villains from DC Comics’ history.

CONVERGENCE: ZERO HOUR BOOK ONE TP
Written by JUSTIN GRAY, CHRISTY MARX, RON MARZ, FRANK TIERI and FABIAN NICIEZA
Art by RON RANDALL, RAGS MORALES, CLAUDE ST-AUBIN, MIKE MANLEY, TOM MANDRAKE and KARL MOLINE
Cover by BABS TARR
On sale OCTOBER 7 • 240 pg, FC, $19.99 US

This CONVERGENCE collection stars Green Arrow, Superboy, Catwoman the Suicide Squad and many more, as they fight in a gladiator-style competition to see which worlds will live…and which will perish! This book also addresses dangling plot threads from the 1990s that involve Green Arrow, Connor Hawke and Justice League International. Collects CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1-2, CONVERGENCE: CATWOMAN #1-2, CONVERGENCE: SUPERBOY #1-2, CONVERGENCE: GREEN ARROW #1-2 and CONVERGENCE: SUICIDE SQUAD #1-2.

CONVERGENCE: ZERO HOUR BOOK TWO TP
Written by LOUISE SIMONSON, LARRY HAMA, KEITH GIFFEN and TONY BEDARD
Art by JUNE BRIGMAN, PHILIP TAN, TIMOTHY GREEN II, CLIFF RICHARDS, RON WAGNER and others
Cover by STEVE LIEBER
On sale OCTOBER 7 • 240 pg, FC, $19.99 US

This CONVERGENCE collection stars Batman, Aquaman, Green Lantern and many more, and includes the miniseries SUPERMAN: MAN OF STEEL #1-2, BATMAN: SHADOW OF THE BAT #1-2, SUPERGIRL: MATRIX #1-2, AQUAMAN #1-2 and GREEN LANTERN/PARALLAX #1-2.

CONVERGENCE: CRISIS BOOK ONE TP
Written by MARC ANDREYKO, MARV WOLFMAN, DAVID GALLAHER, JEFF PARKER and STUART MOORE
Art by CARLOS D’ANDA, ROBERTO VIACAVA, STEVE ELLIS, TIM TRUMAN, GUS STORMS and others
Cover by ANDY KUBERT

This CONVERGENCE collection stars the Outsiders, the Legion of Super-Heroes, Hawkman and many more, as they fight in a gladiator-style competition to see which worlds will live…and which will perish! This book spells out the final fates of some of DC’s most popular heroes. Collects CONVERGENCE: BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS #1-2, CONVERGENCE: ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #1-2, CONVERGENCE: GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1-2, CONVERGENCE: SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1-2 and CONVERGENCE: HAWKMAN #1-2.

CONVERGENCE: CRISIS BOOK TWO TP
Written by DAN ABNETT, LARRY HAMA, FABIAN NICIEZA, LEN WEIN and MARV WOLFMAN
Art by JOSHUA MIDDLETON, CHRISCROSS, KELLEY JONES, NICOLA SCOTT and others
Cover by NICOLA SCOTT
On sale OCTOBER 14 • 240 pg, FC, $19.99 US

This CONVERGENCE collection stars The Flash, Wonder Woman, the JLA and many more, and includes the miniseries THE FLASH #1-2, WONDER WOMAN #1-2, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1-2, SWAMP THING #1-2 and THE NEW TEEN TITANS #1-2.

CONVERGENCE: FLASHPOINT BOOK ONE TP
Written by GREG RUCKA, DAN JURGENS, ALISA KWITNEY, GAIL SIMONE and FRANK TIERI
Art by CULLY HAMNER, LEE WEEKS, RICK LEONARDI, JAN DUURSEMA, VICENTE CIFUENTES and others
Cover by LEE WEEKS
On sale OCTOBER 21 • 240 pg, FC, $19.99 US

This CONVERGENCE collection stars Batgirl, Nightwing, The Question and many more, as they fight in a gladiator-style competition to see which worlds will live…and which will perish! This book also addresses dangling plot threads from FLASHPOINT and more. Collects CONVERGENCE: SUPERMAN #1-2, CONVERGENCE: THE QUESTION #1-2, CONVERGENCE: BATGIRL #1-2, CONVERGENCE: NIGHTWING/ORACLE #1-2 and CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE LEAGUE #1-2.

CONVERGENCE: FLASHPOINT BOOK TWO TP
Written by TOM PEYER, TONY BEDARD, FABIAN NICIEZA, RON MARZ and STEVE PUGH
Art by STEVE YEOWELL, DENYS COWAN, KLAUS JANSON, PHIL WINSLADE and others
Cover by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND
On sale OCTOBER 21 • 240 pg, FC, $19.99 US

This CONVERGENCE collection stars Harley Quinn, The Atom, the Titans and many more in the miniseries THE ATOM #1-2, SPEED FORCE #1-2, TITANS #1-2, BATMAN AND ROBIN #1-2 and HARLEY QUINN #1-2.

CONVERGENCE: INFINITE EARTHS BOOK ONE TP
Written by DAN ABNETT, JERRY ORDWAY, LEN WEIN, PAUL LEVITZ and JUSTIN GRAY
Art by TOM DERENICK, TREVOR SCOTT, BEN CALDWELL, DENYS COWAN, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, JIM FERN, SHANNON WHEELER, CLAUDE ST-AUBIN and others
Cover by DAN PANOSIAN
On sale OCTOBER 28 • 240 pg, FC, $19.99 US

This CONVERGENCE collection stars the Justice Society of America, Infinity Inc., Batman and many more, as they fight in a gladiator-style competition to see which worlds will live…and which will perish! Collects CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #1-2, CONVERGENCE: INFINITY INC. #1-2, CONVERGENCE: DETECTIVE COMICS #1-2, CONVERGENCE: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS #1-2 and CONVERGENCE: ACTION COMICS #1-2.

CONVERGENCE: INFINITE EARTHS BOOK TWO TP
Written by JEFF PARKER, BRIAN BUCCELLATO, SCOTT LOBDELL, DAN JURGENS and SIMON OLIVER
Art by PHIL WINSLADE, EVAN “DOC” SHANER, YISHAN, JOHN McCREA and others
Cover by EVAN “DOC” SHANER
On sale OCTOBER 28 • 240 pg, FC, $19.99 US

This CONVERGENCE collection includes the miniseries SHAZAM! #1-2, BLUE BEETLE #1-2, CRIME SYNDICATE #1-2, CONVERGENCE: BOOSTER GOLD #1-2 and PLASTIC MAN AND THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS #1-2

Flashopoint one, Crisis one and the Infinite Earths are pretty solid, give or take.

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/10/the-great-swipe-file-ever-from-todays-all-star-section-8-1/ I really need to finish Hitman quickly!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 10, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I wish the Question series was in the one with Shazam so I could have just bought that

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Senor Candle posted:

I wish the Question series was in the one with Shazam so I could have just bought that
Why not just buy them separately outside of trade and call it a day? Cheaper too.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Why not just buy them separately outside of trade and call it a day? Cheaper too.

I already have them but if there was a collection with both of them in it I would have picked it up for easier access.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

redbackground posted:

Does someone throw up on his shoes?

imagine a batman comic where every single image of batman was photoshopped in from famous batman art

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I didn't have anything in my pull box, and still spent over 30 dollars at the LCS (trades of Atomic Robo and Common Grounds.)

I was tempted by Section 8, but I think I may just wait for the trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Genetic Toaster posted:

Wow, Constantine was really loving good. Probably my favorite book of the relaunch so far.

Riley Rossmo kills it on art. I hope he gets to draw more crazy layouts.

I had no books in my pull this week so I picked up Constantine 'cause the store owner's pushing it 'cause Rossmo's from here in Saskatoon (and then defected, like half our goddamn citizens, to Calgary). I was impressed! My first DC book since I dropped N52 Detective three issues in (not counting Purple Rain Batgirl which I haven't read) so I hope it stays this good.
Has Constantine always swung both ways? Literally all I knew about him going in was that he's a British chainsmoker with a hell connection.

• Locked thread