Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Champeenship posted:

Yeah I have heard that (spoilers for minor quests) you can kill very minor npcs with your choices in some minor quests.

For example, I've heard for one, you collect materials to repair a broken down helicopter, and at the end you have to make a choice of Red Wire, Blue Wire. Choose Wisely.

Is that type of blind consequences choice an unusual case, or are they virtually all like that? I would be pretty demoralized if that were the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Moxie posted:

Is that type of blind consequences choice an unusual case, or are they virtually all like that? I would be pretty demoralized if that were the case.

If the save system is as generous as it was in XC, it won't be a big deal to reload and get your preferred outcome.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Preview: "If I were to describe my 70 hours with Xenoblade X in one word, it would be “boredom.”

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Honestly the only part of this which bothers me is that I was hoping for action combat that was a bit more twitchy and involved.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Whats Kotaku again? A Young Adult Novel review site?

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
He thought the first one was boring too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I imagine that the combat is probably pretty close to XBC, in which a lot of people apparently couldn't figure it out and wound up thinking that the game played like an MMO.

I'm more interested in what differences the classes have, but he makes it seem like it's really just weapons, rather than more mechanical differences.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Silvain posted:

He thought the first one was boring too.

Also he meant to write Kotaku in his headline not Xenoblade.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I know it's Kotaku, but it echoes most of the impressions I've read on the game here and elsewhere. It seems that the game won't do much to win over people that didn't like the first, and it doubles down on the aspects that fans found weakest without improving them while largely tossing out what people did like.

e: Even the impressions I've read on neogaf from people that actually went to 100% the game sounded pretty lukewarm.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 10, 2015

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Motto posted:

I know it's Kotaku, but it echoes most of the impressions I've read on the game here and elsewhere. It seems that the game won't do much to win over people that didn't like the first, and it doubles down on the aspects that fans found weakest without improving them while largely tossing out what people did like.

e: Even the impressions I've read on neogaf from people that actually went to 100% the game sounded pretty lukewarm.

Really this is a game that was never going to do well critically, either from fans or from "professional" reviewers.

For the fans it is a game that could never live up to the hype, plus it seems each person had their own one thing that they think should have been changed from the original but wasn't.

For professionals you will have people like the kotaku guy who doesn't seem to like the style of game if he had the same complaints on the first one, and plenty of reviewers who just seem to not like jrpgs.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

Really this is a game that was never going to do well critically, either from fans or from "professional" reviewers.

For the fans it is a game that could never live up to the hype, plus it seems each person had their own one thing that they think should have been changed from the original but wasn't.

For professionals you will have people like the kotaku guy who doesn't seem to like the style of game if he had the same complaints on the first one, and plenty of reviewers who just seem to not like jrpgs.

If they'd just made Xenoblade 2: Kill God Even Harder I'd have been pretty happy. Implying fans are impossible to please when the devs are clearly pulling away from the most popular aspect of the previous title and expanding on the least popular is pretty stupid, it looks to me like they have just made a mediocre game

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Well an article like this is not surprising or shocking to me, but I find the headline pretty funny.
This game was so dull I only played it for 70 hours.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

sout posted:

Well an article like this is not surprising or shocking to me, but I find the headline pretty funny.
This game was so dull I only played it for 70 hours.

Yeah, this isn't even one of those situations where they had to put in that amount of hours in order to write a review for his job. A lot of those hours were voluntary.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Idk the gameplay so far looks like you chip away at a gigamoths health for 5 minutes and everyone looks like bug eyed dolls with a storyline where everyone yells into their intercoms on their gundam

I think what made xenoblade work so well was the light hearted comedy, faster paced (although undeniably mmo-y) gameplay, British voice acting, great soundtrack, with a ton of charm sprinkled in between. Fighting against mechons and them screaming at the top of their lungs that they want to brutally murder you is straight fun, it felt so over the top. I don't see much besides more gameplay mechanics/huge worlds to make me 100% the game and enjoy it all the way thru like I did with xenoblade because it looks like it's missing everything else

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
All I wanted was a dumbass god slaying story with the mystique and mythos of Xenogears and the oh poo poo moments of Xenoblade accompanied by ACE+ music and British VA if possible. I'll buy and play this game day 1 but I won't be happy.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Louisgod posted:

I'll buy and play this game day 1 but I won't be happy.

this is the dumbest thing i've heard in a really long time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm going to buy it day 1 and enjoy it because I like exploring and making numbers go up.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fungah! posted:

this is the dumbest thing i've heard in a really long time

It was a joke.

I'm psyched for this game despite the impressions and will love it regardless.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Louisgod posted:

It was a joke.

I'm psyched for this game despite the impressions and will love it regardless.

I can't say I'm going to enjoy something I've never played but I'm going to buy it and enjoy it for what it is because I want them to make more games.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't like fetch quests and fossil monkey hunts so I think I'm gonna give this a pass, I hope they've got all this offline mmo bullshit out their system now and their next game is good again though, it's a genuine shame how this one seems to have turned out

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bef posted:

I can't say I'm going to enjoy something I've never played but I'm going to buy it and enjoy it for what it is because I want them to make more games.

Yes, I hope to enjoy it but I'll enjoy it if it's good. I'll be disappointed if it's not. Some kotaku dude not liking it is a pretty good sign though.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm going to buy it day 1 and enjoy it because I like exploring and making numbers go up.

same

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Louisgod posted:

It was a joke.

you're pretty not good at those, just fyi

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

bef posted:

yeah

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It's Kotaku so instead of saying "they picked him to review it because a negative review will get more buzz" I'm going to go with "he reviewed the first one so they told him to review the second."

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Louisgod posted:

All I wanted was a dumbass god slaying story with the mystique and mythos of Xenogears and the oh poo poo moments of Xenoblade accompanied by ACE+ music and British VA if possible. I'll buy and play this game day 1 but I won't be happy.

This is me except not joking. Xenoblade X's characters look funny and aren't interesting or charming in any way. I'd like to punch in the face the person who decided to go with a silent protagonist. The soundtrack blows and from what I've seen/heard the story is nothing in comparison to the original.

So that leaves the combat? The combat was ok, but not enough for me to want to purchase a sequel. If I still purchase this game it will just be in hopes they sell enough to think about making another Xenoblade on the next platform and not gently caress it up this time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's not going to sell very well whether you buy it or not so don't worry about it imo

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I bet it'll sell even better than the regular Xenoblade. Doesn't contradict the above statement, tho.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xenoblade X is coming to America on December 4th. :homebrew:

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

I said come in! posted:

That's just unacceptable, they had plenty of time to be prepared for this.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Meh, not that long in the grand scheme of things.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Motto posted:

Meh, not that long in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, the wait is actually very short. I was still expecting this to be pushed back to next year.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Yeah, not that long. For 2001 Squaresoft localizing Final Fantasy IX and X for the European market. This is 2015.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dastardly posted:

Yeah, not that long. For 2001 Squaresoft localizing Final Fantasy IX and X for the European market. This is 2015.

Those two combined don't even begin to approach the amount of text in Xenoblade X

localization takes a loooooooooooooooooong time and is not nearly as easy as you might think

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I imagine that it'd also be ready for an October release actually, but no zelda means this got pushed to be the big holiday release.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I imagine that it'd also be ready for an October release actually, but no zelda means this got pushed to be the big holiday release.

thought it would have been star fox.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

lmao

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo always uses the weekend before Black Friday for their biggest holiday releases. Putting XCX out in a weird December slot suggests to me that they don't see it in that role. Starfox probably gets the big November 20th release.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Bringing games to other international markets involves a lot more than just translating text and voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

i seriously can't stop laughing at this gently caress

• Locked thread