Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

WayAbvPar posted:

I wish it was any tank, not specifically a heavy. I bounced more than 7800 in my T95 yesterday. Was on the sniper ledge in the North spawn of South Coast, and most shots were from below me. Hard to hit the bubbles on top from that angle.

We need a special TS channel so people can arrange to game these types of things. Christ knows that is how all the big clans are doing it. Count ins are pretty easy, especially on USW.

Make sure there aren't members of one clan on both teams. That is too suspicious even for WGA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Saint Celestine posted:

The block double your HP as a heavy one is a pain.

Its difficult finding enough retards that will shoot at my E100's side, or least, enough to make 6k bounced.

I might have to buy a VK just to get this mission done.

Tiger 1.

I've been consistently very close to getting HT15 in my Tiger II, with the main reason against it being that I am a shitlord. Also, work has been making me care less about pixel tanks with each passing day.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Hellsau posted:

I do not enjoy games where the enemy team chooses to not fire back at my team. I don't not enjoy games where my team refuses to fire towards the enemy. I just want a close game where either team could win.

It's rare.

I would agree, but honestly I'd like my team to hold until I get 6k damage in. Then they can go in and clean up.

I want to be the carrier every game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

Make sure there aren't members of one clan on both teams. That is too suspicious even for WGA.

Ghosting is a pretty lovely thing to do, even if clanmates are on the other team. Trytoohards ghost.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

Ghosting is a pretty lovely thing to do, even if clanmates are on the other team. Trytoohards ghost.

I actually forgot this was something that can be done and probably happens all the time in this game.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Missing Name posted:

Tiger 1.

I've been consistently very close to getting HT15 in my Tiger II, with the main reason against it being that I am a shitlord. Also, work has been making me care less about pixel tanks with each passing day.
What? The Tiger 1 is soft as poo poo. I wouldn't rely on blocking damage with one. The Tiger 1 is a great brawler, but not because of its armor. It has really high health and DPM.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

I actually forgot this was something that can be done and probably happens all the time in this game.

I've witnessed some (get ready for a shock) ARMED members ghosting on multiple occasion. It does happen a lot more than people realize.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Missing Name posted:

Tiger 1.

I did it in my IS-3 just because the enemy team was trying to snipe me at the edge of view range and bounced 4400 damage.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Uranium 235 posted:

What? The Tiger 1 is soft as poo poo. I wouldn't rely on blocking damage with one. The Tiger 1 is a great brawler, but not because of its armor. It has really high health and DPM.

I guess I was up against complete scrubs :confused: It was a while ago.

The Black Prince would be another guess.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Haquer posted:

I did it in my IS-3 just because the enemy team was trying to snipe me at the edge of view range and bounced 4400 damage.

I got HT15 for the stug done in an IS-8 of all things. Although I'm pretty sure I did like 5k damage and took a lot myself, not much came from actually bouncing.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Good news everybody. Wargamming have announced a new Masters of Orion game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOpsvRtmb-w

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Rincewinds posted:

Good news everybody. Wargamming have announced a new Masters of Orion game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOpsvRtmb-w

I just peed a bit. I love me some MOO.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Will my gold carry over?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

Will my gold carry over?

No but your stats will.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I have a theory for why this week has turned into the shitlerpocalypse. EU is running a series of missions to earn 'personal reserves' which require you to win ninety games (and do one damaging hit). For the sake of my sanity I'm going to believe that is why the herd suicide rate is off the chart.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I have a theory for why this week has turned into the shitlerpocalypse. EU is running a series of missions to earn 'personal reserves' which require you to win ninety games (and do one damaging hit). For the sake of my sanity I'm going to believe that is why the herd suicide rate is off the chart.

Following the 3x weekend it's lent to a lot of retards suiciding. At least they're suiciding into my gun so I had an 80% winrate over 21 matches yesterday :unsmith:

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

The Southern Dandy posted:

I just peed a bit. I love me some MOO.

Holy loving poo poo. There's no way it could be as bad as MOO3. Please, please let this be a good game.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
There is no way wargaming won't gently caress that game up. Look at their track record.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
http://wotreplays.com/site/1942673#fjords-renhanxue-object_704

Check the team score tab (and Bertie's relentless smack talk). Seriously, this loving tank. It's so good. Bounce fools, shoot gold, smoke pubbies erry day. gently caress hiding in a bush, put your boomstick up in someone's face and give them some 152mm APCR.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

CompeAnansi posted:

There is no way wargaming won't gently caress that game up. Look at their track record.

I think they are just backing/publishing. The actual loving up of the game has been entrusted to some place in South America. You know, the hotbed of PC game development.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
In space, no one can hear pubbies scream.

WayAbvPar posted:

We need a special TS channel so people can arrange to game these types of things.

People can't get into any of the TS channels without getting authorized by one of us so unless one of our own is a filthy spy... you're safe on our TS. We can always create a password protected channel too.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 10, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

WayAbvPar posted:

You know, the hotbed of PC game development.

Brasirelos?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CompeAnansi posted:

Can't wait for gold ships

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.

demonR6 posted:

In space, no one can hear pubbies scream.

People can't get into any of the TS channels without getting authorized by one of us so unless one of our own is a filthy spy... you're safe on our TS. We can always create a password protected channel too.

Try the EU tank goon TS server, we've got lots of channels and friendly people to play with. I even think the server has the owner online at typical US times, so you can have direct contact with all the people you need to chat with.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

TheFluff posted:

http://wotreplays.com/site/1942673#fjords-renhanxue-object_704

Check the team score tab (and Bertie's relentless smack talk). Seriously, this loving tank. It's so good. Bounce fools, shoot gold, smoke pubbies erry day. gently caress hiding in a bush, put your boomstick up in someone's face and give them some 152mm APCR.

Yeah I bought one partly on your recommendation and it's definitely better at the "in your face" thing than the ISU.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Maimgara posted:

Try the EU tank goon TS server, we've got lots of channels and friendly people to play with. I even think the server has the owner online at typical US times, so you can have direct contact with all the people you need to chat with.

I'm not sure if the average american mind can withstand the full force of the Chumbly.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Infected posted:

I'm not sure if the anything can withstand the full force of the Chumbly.
FTFY

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Refried Noodle posted:

Yeah I bought one partly on your recommendation and it's definitely better at the "in your face" thing than the ISU.

704 is a scary thing. Was thinking about buying it back, but I would probably want to get the T30 over it.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

704 is a scary thing. Was thinking about buying it back, but I would probably want to get the T30 over it.

704 stronk like soviet bear.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Southern Dandy posted:

704 stronk like soviet bear.

Top gun on the 704 is like the bears necessity, a simple bear necessity.

Edit: Spelling is hard.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 11, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Top gun on the 704 is like the bears necessity, a simply bear necessity.

Your puns are unbearable.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Maimgara posted:

Sorry what I am saying is on the NA TS Server we don't have a password because it was too confusing for people to actually enter complicated things like a password. That resulted in my having to create a tortured permissions system so any mouthbreathing pubbie spy who got the address could log in and take over the server. Either way people still use whatever other TS server fills their fancy so. But thanks for the offer, I still maintain this one for now.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

demonR6 posted:

Sorry what I am saying is on the NA TS Server we don't have a password because it was too confusing for people to actually enter complicated things like a password. That resulted in my having to create a tortured permissions system so any mouthbreathing pubbie spy who got the address could log in and take over the server. Either way people still use whatever other TS server fills their fancy so. But thanks for the offer, I still maintain this one for now.

Who wants to spy on goon clans anyway? We have a natural defense system in the form of utterly depraved germans, no need for passwords.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Mesadoram posted:

The T30 can deliver at times, but my god, you need to pick the right map location. Slow aim time, bad dispersion, zero hull armor and sluggish speed make it frustrating, but DAT TURRET ARMOR. I think of all the T9's, its the one I would most want to be in if I was to find myself in a Tier 10 game (other than the really good mediums like T-54, E50 and AMX 30). I should upload the game where I sat hull down behind rocks in the long curving alley on Stalingrad and had a JgPzE100, E75 and T110E5 spend 4 minutes trying to pen my turret with HEAT ammo (if you angle your gun straight up between shots, you can use it to block your cuppola weak spot).

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Soulfucker posted:

Who wants to spy on goon clans anyway? We have a natural defense system in the form of utterly depraved germans, no need for passwords.

I thought Witch dryish was a dirty Frenchman? Also Witchfetish autocorrected to witch dryish so I'm gonna keep that there.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Did the weekend start early this week or did school let out somewhere and no one told me?

This team was redder than a bloody tampon and the others that I've been stuck on this evening aren't much better.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Arishtat posted:

Did the weekend start early this week or did school let out somewhere and no one told me?

This team was redder than a bloody tampon and the others that I've been stuck on this evening aren't much better.

I've had several matches where people just suicide off the bat trying to earn those stupid xp patches so it not just you.

Also it's summer break in some places so that probably doesn't help

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Stonne, 1940

In 1940, France, a European superpower, was crushed under the onslaught of German forces. The French signed a humiliating peace in Compiegne, in a train car. The city and train car were the same as where Germany signed their capitulation 22 years prior.

Anglophone historians, looking at 1940-1941, compare the rapid fall of France with the successful evacuation at Dunkirk, Battle of Britain, and the North Africa campaign. They tend to not shy away from the conclusion that the French army was bad and that they fought poorly.

However, as one German officer said, he will never forget three battles: Stonne, Stalingrad, and Monte-Cassino. Stonne was in fact in France, the same France that "didn't know how to fight".

A mountain in a torrent

One of the most terrifying tank attacks came at the French in May of 1940 from where they least expected it. Heinz Guderian's tanks passed the wooded mountains of the Ardennes. Crushing an unfortunate French division in their path, "Fast Heinz" made it to the Meuse river. A portion of the forces crossed the river, engineers quickly built a bridge for vehicles, and the foothold was expanded the next morning. German divisions rushed towards the heights south of the French city of Sedan, towards the small village of Stonne.

At dawn on May 15th, a battalion from the German division Grossdeutschland with support from tanks moved to attack the village. The French defenses consisted of infantry, a handful of armoured cars, and 25 mm AT guns. These guns welcomed the Germans by leaving two PzIVs on the battlefield. The more agile PzIIs managed to break through into the village. German infantry, initially chased off with machinegun fire, restored their spirits and fortified on the outskirts of the village. A large German force flanked the village. The French, threatened with encirclement, retreated, leaving behind their armoured cars. The Germans tried to follow, but that cost them two more tanks. Germany won the first round.

Having received reports of the German attack, the French command sent 15 Hotchkiss H39 tanks to Stonne. The description of this counterattack could apply to any battle of the Red Army in the first months of the Great Patriotic War: as soon as the Germans opened fire at the infantry, it went prone and refused to follow the tanks, despite the commander's best efforts. The result of the tank attack was the same: the Germans held out, and the French lost several tanks.

By this time, Stonne grew from a small village to a key point on the map. Ten more tanks were moving towards it: the armoured colossus that was the B1 bis.

Day of fire and metal

Heavy B1 bis tanks were similar to British "rhombuses": their tracks went all the way around the hull, an archaic solution for the start of the 1940s. However, the thick armour and powerful armament, a 75 mm howitzer and 47 mm gun, made the French heavyweight the best tank in its class.

According to tradition, each B1 bis had a personal name along with a serial number. For instance, Lieutenant Caraveo's tank was called Tulal, after a city in Morocco.

May 15th was one continuous battle for Stonne. The village changed hands several times. French infantry continued to show little enthusiasm when supporting its armoured forces. Without support, even the most powerful tank is vulnerable. After two attacks, only 3 B1s remained in action.

Having gathered their forces and pulled up a few Hotchkisses and FCM 36es, the French managed to knock the Germans out of Stonne by noon. The Germans responded with an artillery barrage and a dive bomber strike, turning the village into ruins. In the evening, the Germans were left holding Stonne.

Night fell. The opponents gathered their strength and called up reinforcements. Nobody doubted that there was more to come. The morning was going to be hellish.

Tragic heroism

Before dawn, Stonne was worked over by French artillery. After the barrage, the French attacked again. This time, 14 B1 bis tanks drove into battle.

Famous French tanker, Captain Pierre Billotte, commanded a tank named Eure in this battle. On one of Stonne's streets, he met with a column of German tanks. He ordered the 75 mm gun to destroy the head tank, methodically shot up one tank after another, then moved on. The German guns were not powerful enough to cause his tank any harm. A second column encountered by Eure met the same fate. By the end of the day, Billotte had 13 tanks and 2 AT guns to his name. After the battle, his tank had nearly 150 dents from enemy shells. There were no penetrations.

On the next day, only two tanks, Tunis and Mistral, turned 50 German trucks, tractors, and APCs, several light tanks and AT guns into scrap metal in only half an hour.

The battle for Stonne continued for another week, but the B1s did not participate. They were moved to other parts of the front. However, one cannot leave out the battle of a tank called Jeanne D'Arc on May 28th. It lost its 75 mm howitzer, but kept fighting with machineguns and tracks. Two more hits jammed the turret and damaged observation devices. The tank was hit 90 times, but only a shell from an 88 mm AA gun finally stopped it. The crew managed to leave the tank and return to their lines.

Any army could be proud of tankers like these. It is not their fault that victory requires more than heroism, but cooperation, logistics, tactics, and many other components.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Good post. The cowardly french myth is ridiculous, and as much a red flag to ignorance as believing that black people are inherently lazy. There are any number of reasons for the French collapse, and while the general populace (perfectly understandably in 1939) didn't have much stomach for a repetition of what they endured to hold the line in WWI, the courage of the French soldiers isn't one of them.

It's difficult to comprehend for most people in the west now, especially Americans who have never been seriously threatened with invasion, let alone fought a war of national defence, but France went through some truly apocalyptic poo poo to survive let alone win WWI, and I don't particularly blame anyone who, having lived through it, wanted to surrender in preference to living it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Why do french tanks have rear view mirrors? So they can see the enemy when they are driving away LOL ROFL