Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Fighters all graduated from fight college. Some wizard sat down and worked out the power levels of certain spells and wrote them down.

You joke, but that's literally how it works in the Forgotten realms. In fact Mystra turned off all magic above 10th level because it challenges the power of the gods.

Not So Fast posted:

WotC have released Errata for the PHB, and are boasting about it fitting on one page.

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/Errata_PH.pdf

I'm sad they've nerfed Water Whip but it's obviously intended as an Action.

I don't have my PHB here right now, but it looks like they nerfed Twinned Spell pretty damned hard.

And is that a (very small) buff to BM rangers I see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I like "The spells copied into a spellbook must be of a spell level the wizard can prepare." So a wizard RAW can't have you know a cool spell he is researching/ wanting to learn later.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
I like how they specified you can only choose Simple or Martial weapons for Weapon Master. Are there even any Exotic weapons? And if there are, how are you supposed to gain proficiency in them?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
At least now we know for certain that Hiding is, in fact, up to the dm.

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005
The Ammunition change is soaking up all the grog tears that Judge Dredd Fighters spilled.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've always played with the assumption that spellcasters understood levels, at least loosely. They absolutely should know that the breakdown in spell levels can be translated to character level even if there wouldn't be knowledge of saving throws and whatnot (although researchers should know about this and natural 20/1s as well)

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Now I'm just really confused about how features like Empowered Evocation and Elemental Affinity work. The errata says "The damage bonus applies to one damage roll of a spell, not multiple rolls.", but Jeremy Crawford said that it applies to each bolt of a Magic Missile, so what the hell does the errata mean?

EDIT: Oh, they cleared up that the Smite feature for Paladins can use any spell slot (because there's no such thing as a Paladin spell slot with how multiclass spell slots work), but not the Primeval Awareness feature for Rangers, because who plays Ranger?

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 11, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me, they made a call on how reach works. Who would have guessed.

Also, if your strength is below 10 you literally cannot hurt someone with a punch.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

Vision and Light (p. 183).
A heavily obscured area doesn’t blind you, but you are effectively blinded when you try to see something obscured by it.
"You're not blinded but you're blinded."

I think I see the intention (can't use blindsight to get around things being obscured, mechanics that capitalize on blindness won't work), but holy hell there has to be a better way to word that.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

"Errata posted:

Paladin
Divine Smite (p. 85). You can expend
any spell slot, not just a paladin spell slot

Paladin/Sorcerer cheese: Confirmed

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

P.d0t posted:

Paladin/Sorcerer cheese: Confirmed

Or pally/warlock!

The equipment errata are the most useful ones. Good to know about 2h weapons. Along with the unarmed clarification, it means a monk can and should use a staff in 2 hands and do an offhand kick or bite or whatever.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

ritorix posted:

Or pally/warlock!

Everyone keeps saying this on account of Warlock spell slots scaling up, or w/e. But don't discount Sorcery Point fuckery for smites all day. Points become smite slots and non-smite level slots become Points become smite slots. :homebrew:

ritorix posted:

The equipment errata are the most useful ones. Good to know about 2h weapons.

:agreed:
Feats seem overall nerfed, but gently caress feats anyway; I have to wonder who was the fuckwit who wanted to use DEX for their Polearm Master bonus action attack :psyduck:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

mastershakeman posted:

The best way to let a paladin fall is just let him be a paladin of a different faith he's converting to.
Ive both run that and played that and as long as the person/dm combo is into that stuff its pretty great.

gradenko_2000 posted:

horror stories of DMs washing away the Wizard's spellbook
Bah. Wizards should always worry about protecting their precious baby. On the other hand rebuilding a spellbook is just another part of the game. Fighter lost a sword. Wizard lost a book. Whups.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
They just broke the monk's Stunning Strike. It requires a melee weapon (which unarmed attacks were), but now unarmed attacks aren't weapons.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

ritorix posted:

They just broke the monk's Stunning Strike. It requires a melee weapon (which unarmed attacks were), but now unarmed attacks aren't weapons.

Grogs probably complained that it was too anime.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Red Metal posted:

I like how they specified you can only choose Simple or Martial weapons for Weapon Master. Are there even any Exotic weapons? And if there are, how are you supposed to gain proficiency in them?

I'm assuming it's due to the nebulous wording for bite and claw attacks potentially being considered weapons. Without this errata someone could take proficiency Ancient Red Dragon Bite "weapon" and wield its decapitated head. Not that I see anything wrong with this idea.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

quote:

Hiding (p. 177). The DM decides when
circumstances are appropriate for hiding.
Also, the question isn’t whether a creature
can see you when you’re hiding. The question
is whether it can see you clearly.

What does this even mean? Like, I get it means "It's up to the DM."

But, like... what the gently caress does this even mean?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

It means natural language loving sucks.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I guess a creature can see someone hidden to them because gently caress you martials? Like it's basically saying "You can't be completely hidden."

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
It could be saying "you can't really be hidden", but it also could be "They can't see you clearly, so you CAN hide."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

djw175 posted:

I guess a creature can see someone hidden to them because gently caress you martials? Like it's basically saying "You can't be completely hidden."

Other way around. If it can see you, but can't see you clearly, you still count as hiding.

Presumably so camouflage can actually work, but who the hell knows.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I think it just means that you can't see things you can't see. But just because you can't see in the darkness doesn't men you are blind or blinded.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Other way around. If it can see you, but can't see you clearly, you still count as hiding.

Presumably so camouflage can actually work, but who the hell knows.

That's how I'm reading it,, and for the same reason. You're the second (or third) sniper in that picture with the one sniper who's supposed to be hiding but is kinda obvious.

e: I thought I'd saved that picture but I can't find it. :ohdear:

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 11, 2015

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

ritorix posted:

According to a dev tweet, despite an unarmed strike not being considered a weapon, it is a melee weapon attack.

Jesus, guys, just call it a weapon if it uses 95% of the same rules. People are arguing that unarmed strike gets around "non-magical weapon" damage resistance now. Why does the errata need errata?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ritorix posted:

On the other hand, monks are now immune to just about all damage resistance, as they almost all state they only apply to either magical attacks or weapon attacks.

Even in the errata they can't help but gently caress up their own rules.

EDIT:

Vanguard Warden posted:

Now I'm just really confused about how features like Empowered Evocation and Elemental Affinity work. The errata says "The damage bonus applies to one damage roll of a spell, not multiple rolls.", but Jeremy Crawford said that it applies to each bolt of a Magic Missile, so what the hell does the errata mean?

EDIT: Oh, they cleared up that the Smite feature for Paladins can use any spell slot (because there's no such thing as a Paladin spell slot with how multiclass spell slots work), but not the Primeval Awareness feature for Rangers, because who plays Ranger?

Don't forget that Twinned no longer works on Magic Missile despite literally Mike Mearls saying otherwise previously!

I cannot wait for the errata to the errata!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Red Metal posted:

There aren't any.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Maybe it means the DM can say whether it's "realistic Hiding" or "WoW-anime-bullshit hiding-in-plain-sight"?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

It means they are bad at writing rules.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Maybe Mearls got Donald "known unknowns" Rumsfeld to write the errata.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kurieg posted:

You joke, but that's literally how it works in the Forgotten realms. In fact Mystra turned off all magic above 10th level because it challenges the power of the gods.
Would you be surprised to learn that the Forgotten Realms are not only my least favorite D&D setting but my least favorite thing to exist in the sphere of RPGs?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Would you be surprised to learn that the Forgotten Realms are not only my least favorite D&D setting but my least favorite thing to exist in the sphere of RPGs?

I would not. They are, in fact, very bad!

Mystara is one of the worst Gods in the setting. And I believe has been killed and brought back more than any of the others.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 11, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

5e is basically my first experience with FR and it is both, a) utter boring poo poo, and; b) obvious that some nerds have HUGE raging hard-ons for that poo poo.

sonofsunaj
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Hiding (p. 177). The DM decides when
circumstances are appropriate for hiding.
Also, the question isn’t whether a creature
can see you when you’re hiding. The question
is whether it can see you clearly.

So they try to fix it so that you can actually hide with one sentence, then immediately make sure to say that you can never actually hide?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Clarification from Jeremy Crawford:
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/608808064716701696

Q: Does this mean unarmed strikes bypass resistance to bludgeoning damage from nonmagical weapons?
A: The intent is resistance to nonmagical bludgeoning damage, regardless of source (MM errata preview).

It seems that resistance to bludgeoning damage now also protect against falling. Golems are immune to falling damage.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
5e is wild

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The number of people who looked at the Grappler nerf and said "well of course it's not realistic for someone to be able to wrestle a Storm Giant" makes me sad.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"I want to play a 'realistic' fantasy simulator."
"I want PC wizards to be super powerful."
"I want Dude with Sword to be a class."
A system that includes any two of those statements is fine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, out of curiosity: is there anything particularly good about 5e? Because my friend wants to run a 5e game and I'm curious what I have to look forward to as a player.

I'd intended to play a Bard, but the more I look into just how, well, special the Bard class is this time around, I might reconsider just out of consideration for the other players.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Harrow posted:

is there anything particularly good about 5e?

Thats up to your GM.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
When does Book of Nine Swords 5E come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

So, out of curiosity: is there anything particularly good about 5e?

It's good at being a simpler 3.5? Idk, any 5e game I've enjoyed has had to heavily houserule poo poo. There's plenty to look forward to as far as spells/features though, if you don't play Fighter, Rogue, or Ranger.

Just play the Bard and be amazing.