Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Infinitum posted:

Team Deep Fry Octopus Children Then Cut Them Up Into Rings And Eat Them

A Swift proposal to the splatfest problem. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

All I do in Turf War now is run Inkbrush, run up to the enemy base, and draw hearts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Akarshi posted:

All I do in Turf War now is run Inkbrush, run up to the enemy base, and draw hearts.

The other team's map is flipped. You see yourself drawing hearts, but all they see is nutsacks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TTBF posted:

Marie looks like she's going to fall asleep during every broadcast. Callie takes her job seriously. this is Goofus and Gallant and you have chosen to be on Team Goofus.

I'd be bored and annoyed if I had to spend all day with Callie too.

oopsie rock posted:

Earlier I was with a group that Booyah!ed so much while we were winning that they forgot to actually hold off the opposition. We lost. :(

Its like taunting the enemy in TF2. Its always worth it to do it even if it gets you killed and loses the game.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TTBF posted:

Marie looks like she's going to fall asleep during every broadcast. Callie takes her job seriously. this is Goofus and Gallant and you have chosen to be on Team Goofus.

The correct team

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Port Mackerel Splat Zone hypothetical: you're running a weapon with good ink coverage, like a roller or charger. Your team manages to take back your zone but you're still behind. Do you: push forward to attempt to cap both zones, or stay back to improve your ink coverage of the area? Are there specific situations where you'd do the other one instead?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I will often stay back for defense if all the other members of my team move forward, because there's always one or two dudes who try to sneak past that fight and grab ours

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Man, now that I'm at B+ every game is with Lv20 Japanese players who can lag-shot me through walls.

Also it keeps putting me on the Mall where I seem to be the only one on my team who understands that going up the middle is a deathtrap. I want to get to Lv20 too, guys, why does this have to be so hard :(

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

Port Mackerel Splat Zone hypothetical: you're running a weapon with good ink coverage, like a roller or charger. Your team manages to take back your zone but you're still behind. Do you: push forward to attempt to cap both zones, or stay back to improve your ink coverage of the area? Are there specific situations where you'd do the other one instead?

I think it's better if you build your base of support while one dude just goes and messes with the enemy team.

Honestly when we get more party options I think that we can organize to have one person constantly in enemy territory while everyone else just slowly builds territory and pushes forward. An inkbrush or something with an invulnerable special like bubbler or kraken can be in enemy ink pretty safely.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also today I played a game where I got someone sooooooo good.

I was up in a ledge in the mall when someone threw an ink wall and covered everything with their ink except the tiniest dot. I was able to hide in the dot somehow??? He walked passed the wall, and me, and then surprise motherfucker :shopkeeper:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Honestly when we get more party options I think that we can organize to have one person constantly in enemy territory while everyone else just slowly builds territory and pushes forward. An inkbrush or something with an invulnerable special like bubbler or kraken can be in enemy ink pretty safely.

Eh, Inkbrush can be super dicey for pushing forward on Port Mackerel unless you have a very good awareness of where the enemy is. Charging straight down any corridor with an opponent in it is a good way to die with that weapon, so you need to find a route that slips past them AND not have three of them waiting for you in the open space on the other end. It can take a little while for that opportunity to arise. I'd say it's actually better for a brush to hang back to defend at first, lurking in the friendly ink and looping around behind approaching gunners. I'd want a long-range gun for the actual push forward.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Team Deep Fry Octopus Children Then Cut Them Up Into Rings And Eat Them

Squids are carnivorous to the point of occasionally being cannibals :tinfoil:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Splatoon's devs made a follow-up to the fanart contest winner. Mint green gasmask is me irl.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I didn't see the fan art winner but is that a Judd Cat Bus Seat?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Alabaster White posted:

Squids are carnivorous to the point of occasionally being cannibals :tinfoil:

Just like humans.
Have we created the superbeast?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I didn't see the fan art winner but is that a Judd Cat Bus Seat?

Nah, Judd was just on the bus and the kid fell on him.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Click here if you like dogs and cakes.

Click here if you like cats and presents.

You're out of luck if you like dogs and presents or cats and cakes, sorry

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
team dog and cakes

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The Inkzooka is needs a bit of an increase to it's radius or something. You need to aim perfectly to actually get kills with it in unless you are aiming at sombody that is super slow or super not paying attention.

Although it IS good for hitting people up on ledges where they think they are safe. Like that middle area in Skatepark, you can stand off to one of the sides coming out of your spawn and then send the shot up and the top part of the shot covers just about the entirety of that platform and kills everybody up there AND covers it in your color so anybody still alive will probably either bail or spend precious seconds spraying their feet so they can stay up there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The Inkzooka is needs a bit of an increase to it's radius or something. You need to aim perfectly to actually get kills with it in unless you are aiming at sombody that is super slow or super not paying attention.

Although it IS good for hitting people up on ledges where they think they are safe. Like that middle area in Skatepark, you can stand off to one of the sides coming out of your spawn and then send the shot up and the top part of the shot covers just about the entirety of that platform and kills everybody up there AND covers it in your color so anybody still alive will probably either bail or spend precious seconds spraying their feet so they can stay up there.

I think it would be totally broken if you increased the radius.You can kill a whole team with it if your aim is good and choose the right time to use it

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
This game makes me sad because it looks so goddamn fun but every time, every time that I attempt to play online I get the 'lost communication' error before I can even get into a game :(

It's really weird cause I had no issues with MH3U's or MK8's online.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That's a shame, I've played at least a couple hundred matches by now and I've only gotten the error twice. Although I have had my share of matches where the lag was so bad that it might as well have bombed out.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'm absolutely certain that there's gonna be a big chunk of players now that will decide their Splatfest team by whichever is being backed by their Squid Sister Waifu.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yeah I get communication errors often enough be annoying, though it seems rarer than people on my/the other team dc'ing. That and the "unstable connection" stuff that gets me killed and can cause losses.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

dogsicle posted:

Yeah I get communication errors often enough be annoying, though it seems rarer than people on my/the other team dc'ing. That and the "unstable connection" stuff that gets me killed and can cause losses.

I get less than one comm error a night so maybe one in every 30-40 games? Most of the time it's other people who drop.

I'm on the west coast though so those extra 50-70ms to Japan might hurt east coasters more.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

My wife's an addict now. Any more local multiplayer stuff in the pipe?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Crasical posted:

I'm absolutely certain that there's gonna be a big chunk of players now that will decide their Splatfest team by whichever is being backed by their Squid Sister Waifu.

I'm not going to lie if they do a splatfest for Callie versus Marie I know which one I'd back.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They don't explain the ranked mode scoring very well. for some reason when we got down to 22 (us) vs 24, those numbers stopped going down, and another number started going up, even when we controlled the point. then eventually their second number went down, and we lost. the mode description doesn't even talk about a second number!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I'm not going to lie if they do a splatfest for Callie versus Marie I know which one I'd back.

That would seriously be the splatfest that would start World Turfwar 2. Probably wouldn't bother this thread so much, but other sites would go up in flames.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

They don't explain the ranked mode scoring very well. for some reason when we got down to 22 (us) vs 24, those numbers stopped going down, and another number started going up, even when we controlled the point. then eventually their second number went down, and we lost. the mode description doesn't even talk about a second number!

That's the penalty counter. If you're in the lead and the enemy takes control of the zone, you get penalty time equal to the difference between your score and theirs. When you take control of the zone again, the penalty time counts down before your score, and you can't keep scoring until that penalty timer has counted down to zero.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 11, 2015

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Alright, so I'm guessing I'm missing something here. Still B- in ranked. I made it to 50 points with the .52 gal, then dropped to around 10 points. I kill as much as I can and use the ink wall to block off enemies, but any team I'm on usually gets steamrolled, or nearly wins, then has the other team take it with overtime. The last match I played was just a barrage of inkstrikes and ink shields. How do I git gud?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

If you claim a zone, then the other team claims it your timer stops and you get a time penalty (The second number)

If you manage to reclaim the zone you have to wait out the time penalty (The second number) before your main timer starts counting down again.

The timer varies as well so if you're curb stomping the oppostion with 12 seconds to go to their full 100 seconds and they managed to claim it you'll incur a much higher time penalty of like 70 seconds.
But if the scores are neck and neck.. say 92 to 95.. you might only get a 4 second penalty.

Keeps it close.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
New stage is up and in the current rotation.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KELP DOME KELP DOME

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kelp dome seems, uh, big?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Worst Girl posted:

Alright, so I'm guessing I'm missing something here. Still B- in ranked. I made it to 50 points with the .52 gal, then dropped to around 10 points. I kill as much as I can and use the ink wall to block off enemies, but any team I'm on usually gets steamrolled, or nearly wins, then has the other team take it with overtime. The last match I played was just a barrage of inkstrikes and ink shields. How do I git gud?

It's important to control access to the zone. Usually both teams will either have an advantaged zone that's close to them, or a path to the zone that is hard to attack from the zone itself. It's important to cut off access to those areas or they'll be able to contest the zone.

Flanks are also ridiculously good if you can get them. If you can kill two people quickly you get a huge advantage and can probably take the zone.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Kelp dome seems, uh, big?

And super fun. Lots of blind angles for ambushes and the like, with a lot of ways to move around. Stealthy players are gonna love it here.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Comms Error Dome is a cool map

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Post more of your squidkids.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide