Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Flying you don't really need to be good at anything other than a firm outside to instrument scan.

And a lot of other things. Look at charts on skyvector and find a busier class c and hit up the radio. Id highly suggest north whiting field (knse) or navy corpus (kngp) or corpus Intl (kcrp) if you can get ATC feeds. Those towers and the associated approach frequency (where ferret king works!) have an extremely high number of student pilots flying there, sounding dumb and making mistakes you can learn from!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Military fields also have a lot of custom language that they use on agreement with the local FAA facility, so be careful not to pick up any bad habits. KDVT - Deer Valley is an incredibly busy GA airport, and there's probably a decent feed of the Phoenix Approach sector that deals with VFR aircraft (if they even bother, I heard they were pretty bad about it in the past).

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Why are low-cost airlines no longer low-cost in the Unites States? I remember Southwest being the king of discount airlines, at one point offering $19 one way fares in the late 90s. I know a lot has changed, but why can Ryanair offer $50 fares while covering the same distances in the US would cost over $100? Isn't fuel and labor cheaper in the US? Are the airlines just taking a bigger cut or is it something else?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
If you're looking for something to compare to Ryanair you should look at Spirit Airlines; Southwest usually costs less than the "majors" but isn't really a true budget airline.

Also, don't fly Spirit Airlines.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Check your PMs, Mr. Adama.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

fordan posted:

Unless you enjoy being like cattle then shoved in a dog crate.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

AWSEFT posted:

"Sorry, your flight had a mechanical issue and has been cancelled. We'll have a seat available to get you home in... *checks computer* 3 days. No, sorry, it's not our policy to arrange flights on other airlines even when it's our fault or to provide a hotel."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AWSEFT posted:

My sister in law claims its great if you have a purse large enough to double as a weekend bag! (She's also like 5'4")

LAX-LAS can be done for about $70 which is probably on par with $20/each way southwest fares from the 90s.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fordan posted:

"Sorry, your flight had a mechanical issue and has been cancelled. We'll have a seat available to get you home in... *checks computer* 3 days. No, sorry, it's not our policy to arrange flights on other airlines even when it's our fault or to provide a hotel."

Oh you have two carry on items? That second one will be extra.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

fordan posted:

If you're looking for something to compare to Ryanair you should look at Spirit Airlines; Southwest usually costs less than the "majors" but isn't really a true budget airline.

After reading just a few articles I can see the reasoning behind your advice.

Is it simply not possible to have a low-cost airline with decent service? Are the graph lines of of customer service versus getting from point A to point B simply crossed at a certain level and Spirit has chosen to sacrifice service for transportation?

They've spent money on stupid ad campaigns, apparently. Could that money not have been spent on something else that would win over more customers?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The budget airlines cater to families and people traveling on vacation. Basically infrequent travelers on a tight budget. All they care about is the ticket price and are willing to put up with a few hours or poo poo to get a deal. They don't need to worry about repeat customers because 50/50 chance the company is in Chapter 9 by the time they're looking for another flight.

I flew on Spirit last week and it wasn't that bad. They nickel and dime you though. $10 if you want to pick your own seat, $25 for an exit row, and $30 to check a bag if you purchase online. That last one becomes $100 at the gate btw. The plane was an A320 with the cheapest possible seats. They don't recline and are a bit smaller than usual. You can forget about inflight entertainment or water / snack service. But if you treat it like going on a bus and just eat before or bring your own food then there's nothing really to complain about.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

But if you treat it like going on a bus and just eat before or bring your own food then there's nothing really to complain about.

Over Memorial Day weekend a friend of mine took Spirit to a music festival. Except apparently Spirit's gate agent or their computer system had issues, because Spirit didn't think she made the outbound flight that she took. So they cancelled her return flight (as all airlines will do). She found this out when she got back to the airport to try and get home. Spirit had sold her seat to someone else, told her she had no reservation and refused to deal with her except to offer to sell her a new ticket for days later. She ended up spending $800 for a last-minute flight on another airline to get home that day.

Don't fly Spirit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
95% of my travel is for leisure and I still don't want to be packed in like a loving sardine and treated like I'm worthless. Just got back from a vacation, and I upgraded to premium economy one way, and business class on the way back. Worth it. Everywhere else is a better place to cut expenses, to be honest.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The people who fly Spirit are the ones who will bitch about the experience, but next time they have to fly again (maybe 2 years later) they go right ahead and buy the cheapest ticket again. Which is likely to be Spirit and the circle of life continues.

FWIW its a great airline to fly standby as a flight crew. Their online syatem for checking loads is actually much better than any other carriers, and they are nice to flight crews.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Animal posted:

The people who fly Spirit are the ones who will bitch about the experience, but next time they have to fly again (maybe 2 years later) they go right ahead and buy the cheapest ticket again. Which is likely to be Spirit and the circle of life continues.

FWIW its a great airline to fly standby as a flight crew. Their online syatem for checking loads is actually much better than any other carriers, and they are nice to flight crews.

Never ridden on Spirit, even as a non-rev. You're correct about their clientele though.

Everyone bitches about them, some very vocally, yet "Spirit’s profit margin is currently running at 11.7%, just ahead of number two in profitability, Alaska Air Group Inc."

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Jealous Cow posted:

It is, but my understanding is that more at once and shorter pauses in between means faster progression. Since it's all about building on previously learned skills the more frequently you fly the less time is spent mastering each skill.

I did it in 5 weeks and I started with a GPL. 40 hours in two weeks sounds pretty brutal and the exhaustion will slow down your progress.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Animal posted:

Was just about to posts this. You usually get the exit row due to the fact they charge extra for it and the overhead bins always have plea fly of space. Also their crews are usually new and not those crusty 20 year airline vets who are constantly pissed off that you tend to run into at most other airlines.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Spirit talk reminds me of Skybus. They operated on a similar model, only were more anal in that they wouldn't let you bring your own food on board "unless you had enough for everyone to share" (which could easily be worked around on most of their flights by stopping at your favorite fast food joint on the way to the airport). They also refused to use jetways unless they were forced to (FLL). I don't know if they let people jumpseat or deadhead on their flights, but most of their F/As were extremely young as well- I ended up meeting one on a dating site & we "re-met" and became friends when she was a cheerleader-type promo girl for the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Much like Spirit, they nickel and dimed and drew criticism from people because they charged five whole American dollars for checked bags. Doesn't sound so bad nowadays...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Checked the thread and didn't see it posted, but check out the takeoff on this new Boeing Dreamliner being built in partnership with Vietnam Airlines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OA6ANiIYcs

Sure wouldn't want to do that with a load of passengers on board, unless they're paying for it..

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That climb seemed even steeper than the Framingham one.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Telephoto lens distortion

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Animal posted:

KodiakRS posted:

Was just about to posts this. You usually get the exit row due to the fact they charge extra for it and the overhead bins always have plea fly of space. Also their crews are usually new and not those crusty 20 year airline vets who are constantly pissed off that you tend to run into at most other airlines.

I've had the same experience on Frontier, obviously the way to travel on the cheap carriers is to jumpseat :smug:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Did Frontier a few weeks ago, also very nice people. Air Tran will always hold a place in my heart as nicest to standby's ever, they really treated you like a VIP.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Welp

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2015/06/van-crashes-into-jet-at-dallas-fort-worth-international-airport.html/

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Oops! When I worked for a catering company at jfk, someone at a different company hopped out of their van that was still in gear and was headed for an Emirates A380. One of our drivers managed to run after it and stopped it in time. UAE ended up giving him round trip airfare to Dubai as a thank you.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

two_beer_bishes posted:

Oops! When I worked for a catering company at jfk, someone at a different company hopped out of their van that was still in gear and was headed for an Emirates A380. One of our drivers managed to run after it and stopped it in time. UAE ended up giving him round trip airfare to Dubai as a thank you.

Knocking out an A380 would cost a LOT of money...yikes. That other one looks like a regional jet, thankfully.

The Slaughter posted:

Telephoto lens distortion

It's still quite steep.

Did anybody else read about the fact that the A400M crash was likely due to a software error killing 3 out of 4 engines at 400 feet?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Seville_A400M_crash

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Is there a section in the QRH for that?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Animal posted:

Air Tran will always hold a place in my heart as nicest to standby's ever, they really treated you like a VIP.

They really did. Southwest crews were generally nice but AirTran bent over backwards to help and would't hesitate to give you first class.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Slaughter posted:

Is there a section in the QRH for that?

Aim for something that looks soft. Unlike that van driver did.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

two_beer_bishes posted:

A buddy of mine had the exact opposite happen to him; a 737 ran into him while he was in a catering truck. The aircraft was parked + shut down at the gate and the ground crews were allowed up to the aircraft to start their turnaround. A few minutes later, the aircraft started to roll forward on its own because some bright light didn't chock the wheels properly. My buddy was in a catering truck with the box raised to door level when all of a sudden he felt a crash and the truck started to tilt. He managed to jump into the aircraft with seconds to spare before the truck was knocked over.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

MrChips posted:

A buddy of mine had the exact opposite happen to him; a 737 ran into him while he was in a catering truck. The aircraft was parked + shut down at the gate and the ground crews were allowed up to the aircraft to start their turnaround. A few minutes later, the aircraft started to roll forward on its own because some bright light didn't chock the wheels properly. My buddy was in a catering truck with the box raised to door level when all of a sudden he felt a crash and the truck started to tilt. He managed to jump into the aircraft with seconds to spare before the truck was knocked over.

Holy poo poo

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Jealous Cow posted:

I have about 10 hours from last year at a place local to me in Virginia, but didn't feel good about my instructor or the way the place was run. I have family in Cleveland so I'm considering taking two weeks off and slogging through my private and maybe get started on instrument.

That's disappointing to hear. I have a special place in my heart for Hanover since I got my PPL there. I always get excited when I get a plane going there. The whole place got less friendly when HOVA took over from sundance. The whole fleet of shiny new planes at shiny new prices, while dropping the 152s and warriors from leaseback irked me. Now all the people I knew there are gone too.
They used to have a speaker on the ramp side playing the Unicom and I would sit out there at the picnic table after lessons and listen and watch until I needed to be somewhere.
/oldtimer

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

CharlesM posted:

It's still quite steep.
Airliners are surprisingly spry when they're not loaded down with 350 fatass Americans and their luggage, and only minimal fuel. A 787 weighs around 300,000 pounds empty, and makes around 150,000 pounds of thrust; with just enough fuel for a photo op, that's still power/weight on par with '60s fighter jets.

See also whenever a C-17 accidentally lands at a GA field with a ridiculously short runway, and people are somehow amazed when it leaps into the air easily after having the cargo trucked away and the fuel pumped out until it only has just enough to make it to a proper runway.

(Edit: a C-17 has slightly better empty thrust/weight than a 787. If you're not from the US, you can do the conversions yourself if my not using metric units bothers you. Either way it's very nearly .5 thrust per 1 weight/mass, which was good enough for the first supersonic fighters -- the F-86 was .42:1, the F-100 was .55:1)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 14, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Delivery McGee posted:

Airliners are surprisingly spry when they're not loaded down with 350 fatass Americans and their luggage, and only minimal fuel. A 787 weighs around 300,000 pounds empty, and makes around 150,000 pounds of thrust; with just enough fuel for a photo op, that's still power/weight on par with '60s fighter jets.

See also whenever a C-17 accidentally lands at a GA field with a ridiculously short runway, and people are somehow amazed when it leaps into the air easily after having the cargo trucked away and the fuel pumped out until it only has just enough to make it to a proper runway.

(Edit: a C-17 has slightly better empty thrust/weight than a 787. If you're not from the US, you can do the conversions yourself if my not using metric units bothers you. Either way it's very nearly .5 thrust per 1 weight/mass, which was good enough for the first supersonic fighters -- the F-86 was .42:1, the F-100 was .55:1)

Weight makes a huge, huge difference for performance for every aircraft, and every pilot should figure that out through observation no later than their first solo.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

Weight makes a huge, huge difference for performance for every aircraft, and every pilot should figure that out through observation no later than their first solo.

Assuming you're not too nervous to notice. The plane flies so much better without that other guy in the right seat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Assuming you're not too nervous to notice. The plane flies so much better without that other guy in the right seat.

If you don't notice at some point during your first circuit, you're probably going to need to go around on account of being several hundred feet too high on final.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

If you don't notice at some point during your first circuit, you're probably going to need to go around on account of being several hundred feet too high on final.

If you don't flub that first landing in some way, you waited too long to solo.

Half the experience is the terror. Good stuff.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
My very first solo landing got extended on the downwind because a pair of T-6s were coming in. Arrived high as poo poo because I'd never practiced a straight-in, but 5000 feet of runway allows for a lot of slop when you're in a 172.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

My first solo, the 152 took off like a rocket and I was at pattern altitude in a fraction of a second. My CFI recorded my landings from the control tower :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

My first solo landing was great. My second solo landing was pretty bad. My third one was even worse, although that's probably because it happened about 2.5 seconds after my second.

Edit: PS, if you think you were nervous the first time you soloed wait until you're a CFI and you have your first student go solo. Probably the most nerve wracking 15 minutes of your life.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 15, 2015

• Locked thread