Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Squid gun give it to ya!
gently caress waitin' for you to get it on your own! SQUID GUN DELIVER TO YA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Boy howdy the new map is crazy with the RG, just broke 1600 in a game for the first time.

*edit* and now I broke 1700 next game! Holy poo poo this is absurd

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 11, 2015

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Kelp Dome verdict: Pretty Neat

From what I remembered from fighting Octolings there it was a confusing mess but it's really not that bad. Head left immediately, go over the ramp, and take an immediate right to get to the center point before anyone else without using the walkways. Shooting down through the grates seems to be easier than shooting up through them if you're using an Aerospray.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
What IS a kelp dome tho

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bass Bottles posted:

What IS a kelp dome tho

a dome for kelp

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Bass Bottles posted:

What IS a kelp dome tho

A fully stainable ink-osystem.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

What IS a kelp dome tho

It's probably the squid version of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yumenoshima_Tropical_Greenhouse_Dome

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The Inkzooka is needs a bit of an increase to it's radius or something. You need to aim perfectly to actually get kills with it in unless you are aiming at sombody that is super slow or super not paying attention.

The hell it does, I have that stupid thing hit me when I was using corners for cover because it nicked my foot when it passed. There also the times when one just random fall on top of me because the the guy was aim at one of my teammates.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I like saving my Inkzooka for when I'm in a shootout and the just pop out the ink and gently caress them up

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
So one thing I'm noticing after playing post map-drop: across all maps, top scores seem to be way higher. Unless everyone is suddenly playing way better, I think Nintendo tweaked how score is gained so weapons with a lower fire rate can compete.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The best part of Kelp Dome is all the suckers who think a roller can't hit them on the catwalks from below :getin:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bass Bottles posted:

What IS a kelp dome tho

It's where Squid Pauly Shore hangs out.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

So one thing I'm noticing after playing post map-drop: across all maps, top scores seem to be way higher. Unless everyone is suddenly playing way better, I think Nintendo tweaked how score is gained so weapons with a lower fire rate can compete.

I doubt it. I just played a few matches with some scrubs who repeatedly didn't break 400.

It's easy to score high on Kelp Dome because there's a lot of open ground to ink and re-ink and so far people seem to congregate around the middle so it's possible to never encounter anyone. I saw someone score over 1700 on that map, and I had never seen a score that high before.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want to play the new map but it keeps matching me into Urchin Underpass 3 times in a row.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

The best part of Kelp Dome is all the suckers who think a roller can't hit them on the catwalks from below :getin:

On the other hand ink doesn't stick to grates, so if anyone on the other team decides to join up there, holy poo poo are you hosed

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
short of buying that ethernet port thing what's the best way to improve your wifi with the console? getting dropped because of unstable connections when you don't have it on anything else sucks

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

My only (minor) complaint about the Inkzooka is that the height seems a bit low sometimes. I couldn't reach some chargers from the floor of Arowana Mall, even though the funnel at the top was grazing them.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

On the other hand ink doesn't stick to grates, so if anyone on the other team decides to join up there, holy poo poo are you hosed

i've yet to fail to just kill them both because they can't shoot downwards

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

dogsicle posted:

My only (minor) complaint about the Inkzooka is that the height seems a bit low sometimes. I couldn't reach some chargers from the floor of Arowana Mall, even though the funnel at the top was grazing them.

I think the Inkzooka has the perfect range to shoot across the two ledges outside the zone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TubeStank posted:

short of buying that ethernet port thing what's the best way to improve your wifi with the console? getting dropped because of unstable connections when you don't have it on anything else sucks

Try clearing out all the connections from your router and reconnecting. For some reason some routers save a whole lot more stuff than they should and you end up bogging down your frequently used connections because its remembering settings for the one time your cousin's boyfriend got on your wi-fi with his phone or something.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bass Bottles posted:

What IS a kelp dome tho

Marie said she wants to go there and plant french fries???

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Saint Freak posted:

Marie said she wants to go there and plant french fries???

it's a joke from spongebob

that's not actually true

but it might be?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

raditts posted:

It's where Squid Pauly Shore hangs out.

Pauly Shore would be a lamprey to properly represent him sucking the humor out of everything he appears in.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

jivjov posted:

Try clearing out all the connections from your router and reconnecting. For some reason some routers save a whole lot more stuff than they should and you end up bogging down your frequently used connections because its remembering settings for the one time your cousin's boyfriend got on your wi-fi with his phone or something.

Thanks I'll give it a shot!

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

What IS a kelp dome tho

I think it has something to do with growing pot. Sea weed there every time I go to it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"Squids smoke seaweed to get high" -Vinny

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

i've yet to fail to just kill them both because they can't shoot downwards

Oh no my friend, you can shoot downwards. I have jumped off of high ground and ambushed multiple people like that because they couldn't tell where it was come from until it was to late.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

New map owns for splat zone but I can't get a good team to save my life :negative:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Holy poo poo no wonder I was having issues the console kept trying to connect to a different Internet source than what I told it to for some reason

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Freshest SquidKid.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

TubeStank posted:

Turn off your cell phone during a Gaming Session.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
So Kelp Dome is the 7th good Splatoon map. Nintendo is SO HAWT and ON FIRE, somebody give them $1400.

It's really great how easy the maps are to play, and yet there's still a lot of tricks to learn on each one as well. Due to the ink/stealth mechanics you always have to be aware of what's around you on every map, but in Kelp Dome you also you also have to be aware of what's above and below you. I did fairly good at Kelp Dome by climbing up to the grates to avoid Krakens (of which there were many). It also seems like similar to Blackbelly Skatepark turf coverage goes back and forth a lot due to the boxy layout and the number of different paths.

Splatoon is really good you guys.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a gamepad only mode so I can play while the fam uses the TV? Also does anyone know what's that called? I can't find it when I google it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a gamepad only mode so I can play while the fam uses the TV? Also does anyone know what's that called? I can't find it when I google it.

I think they call it off-tv play, and no you can't. The gamepad has the map/super jump after all.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The Inkzooka is needs a bit of an increase to it's radius or something. You need to aim perfectly to actually get kills with it in unless you are aiming at sombody that is super slow or super not paying attention.

Although it IS good for hitting people up on ledges where they think they are safe. Like that middle area in Skatepark, you can stand off to one of the sides coming out of your spawn and then send the shot up and the top part of the shot covers just about the entirety of that platform and kills everybody up there AND covers it in your color so anybody still alive will probably either bail or spend precious seconds spraying their feet so they can stay up there.
It is not a bad thing that the Inkzooka rewards high skill.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I honestly wish there was a button to quickly bring up an overlay of the map on the TV screen, just so I could quickly see if anyone is spreading ink behind me. Looking down from the screen to the gamepad just feels awkward.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Something that makes Splat Zone in Kelp Dome interesting is that the zone is huge, making it hard to reclaim if you lose it. We had the enemy land an Inkstrike dead-center when we were in control and we didn't even lose control.

Maybe this is their response to people saying Inkstrike is overpowered in Splat Zone. Is the endgame a map where the entire map is the zone? :getin:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Inkzooka does not need a buff, because offensive specials are at best supposed to give you a solid chance at killing a couple opponents, and that's what it does. It is fine. It is not supposed to guarantee death for the entire enemy team.

CKyle
Jan 15, 2008
Are they pushing out new dialog to the Squid Sisters with the updates? This evening I saw bits about the warehouse and the underpass that I hadn't seen before.

Also, what's with those bells that chime at the end of battles in the dome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Supercar Gautier posted:

The Inkzooka does not need a buff, because offensive specials are at best supposed to give you a solid chance at killing a couple opponents, and that's what it does. It is fine. It is not supposed to guarantee death for the entire enemy team.

Nope, only the Kraken does that. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread