Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Putty posted:

fraps is really really awful just use Shadowplay or OBS

Actually this is something I wanted to ask this thread! I started using Shadowplay to record me just dicking around with my friends playing videogames when I got my new graphics card. I would use it for LPs but shadowplay seems to be having problems, and it has been having this problem ever since I first used it. It'll record just fine, the little indicator will say its recording and I don't get any errors or lag or anything. The problem is when I go to look at the video it produces, the video will be fine, but anywhere from 10-30 minutes into recording, all audio just stops.

I googled it a couple of weeks ago and it appears to be a very common problem with shadowplay but as far as I can tell, nobody knows what causes it and how to fix it. Its such a weird bug because it doesn't happen to me all of the time, and when it does, the amount of time it takes the audio to poo poo itself and stop working varies a lot, its quite an unpredictable problem really. It happens whether I'm using the manual recording, or the "capture last [x] minutes" type recording. Anyone have any insights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Faerie Fortune posted:

Actually this is something I wanted to ask this thread! I started using Shadowplay to record me just dicking around with my friends playing videogames when I got my new graphics card. I would use it for LPs but shadowplay seems to be having problems, and it has been having this problem ever since I first used it. It'll record just fine, the little indicator will say its recording and I don't get any errors or lag or anything. The problem is when I go to look at the video it produces, the video will be fine, but anywhere from 10-30 minutes into recording, all audio just stops.

I googled it a couple of weeks ago and it appears to be a very common problem with shadowplay but as far as I can tell, nobody knows what causes it and how to fix it. Its such a weird bug because it doesn't happen to me all of the time, and when it does, the amount of time it takes the audio to poo poo itself and stop working varies a lot, its quite an unpredictable problem really. It happens whether I'm using the manual recording, or the "capture last [x] minutes" type recording. Anyone have any insights?

Shadowplay is extremely sensitive to 'changing audio conditions'. When I had a problem with audio cutting out, I traced it down to accidental unplugging a 3.5 mm cable from the computer doing the recording. The only way I found to prevent it is to make sure you don't touch any audio cables after you start recording.

Its possible to monitor whether you're recording audio or not: Open your audio mixer. When you start a recording, you should see an extra item pop up (I think its something to the effect of 'nVidia Sound Server' or something). It doesn't go away when you stop recording, but it does go away if you accidentally unplug an audio cable or something. Just leave it open for the duration of the video and glance at it every few minutes or so (its helpful to have this on a separate monitor). If it goes away at some point during the recording make sure all your audio cables are hooked up right and just restart recording.

e: You can test this by unplugging an audio cable intentionally during a test recording.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 3, 2015

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Next time I'm recording I'll keep an eye on audio things - although I only have one monitor and I don't think shadowplay plays nice with windowed mode so it might require some fiddling, thanks!

The problem now is that there are no audio cables in my setup, I have a wireless USB headset (Logitech G930 if that makes a difference) so I doubt the problem is that cables are being unplugged or anything. Literally the only thing I can think of is maybe its freaking out when I plug the headset into the charger while recording but I will test that and see how it works out!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Faerie Fortune posted:

The problem now is that there are no audio cables in my setup, I have a wireless USB headset (Logitech G930 if that makes a difference) so I doubt the problem is that cables are being unplugged or anything. Literally the only thing I can think of is maybe its freaking out when I plug the headset into the charger while recording but I will test that and see how it works out!

As stupid as it sounds that might just be it! That should be really easy to test, and I think shadowplay can do windowed mode, but I like having the full monitor for the game I'm playing. I just have a spare flat screen from 8 years back or something that only contains helpful and statistical information.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Alright, time to run a few tests with that! Thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate it! :3: I shall report back with my findings!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So is there a method to where people I have guesting with me on a stream can just see the game footage? I'm trying to find a way around them just watching the stream muted.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Faerie Fortune posted:

The problem now is that there are no audio cables in my setup, I have a wireless USB headset (Logitech G930 if that makes a difference)

That absolutely makes a difference.

ShadowPlay does not play well with the Logitech Gaming Software. Audio stopping during recording is a well-known issue when ShadowPlay is used while the Logitech Gaming Software is running.

Either kill the Logitech Gaming Software when recording or use some other audio device.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TheManSeries posted:

So is there a method to where people I have guesting with me on a stream can just see the game footage? I'm trying to find a way around them just watching the stream muted.

You can try skype screen sharing your footage and piping audio through with Voicemeeter. Are you trying to do an LP or are you just streaming? Because if you're just streaming, then you probably shouldn't bother with that because it'll take up a lot of resources.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I was doing it for streaming but I didn't know it could go with anything LP. I've just been uploading raw video to youtube for commentary. I'll try Skype screen share and if it just tears my computer up just deal with it.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Xenoveritas posted:

That absolutely makes a difference.

ShadowPlay does not play well with the Logitech Gaming Software. Audio stopping during recording is a well-known issue when ShadowPlay is used while the Logitech Gaming Software is running.

Either kill the Logitech Gaming Software when recording or use some other audio device.

You know, I had a hunch the logitech software might have had something to do it but don't know enough about tech stuff to really figure out why, thank you! I will definitely make sure to keep that turned off from now on!

TheManSeries posted:

I was doing it for streaming but I didn't know it could go with anything LP. I've just been uploading raw video to youtube for commentary. I'll try Skype screen share and if it just tears my computer up just deal with it.

My router is essentially a potato plugged into the phone lines. I live in a lovely area of England where the best upload speed I can get on my connection is just shy of 1mb. People who have watched my streams are acutely aware of how frame-y and laggy it can really get.

With all this in mind, I recorded the entire OoT Blind LP live, using skype screen share with basically no issues. People could always see what was going on and the delay is often less than a second if there is delay at all. I definitely recommend skype screen share + voicemeeter for live commentary!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 3, 2015

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Yeah, Skype screen share is super light on resources and has practically no delay. If you're playing a PC game, just Voicemeeter will work. If you're playing a console game and using an Elgato/anything that has a slight delay from the source to what appears on your screen, it takes a bit more setup, for which I wrote a guide on page 68.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm using sony vegas, and I was wondering if there are ways to turn down individual tracks of audio, without re-encoding the whole video.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm gonna borrow an image from google since I don't use Vegas anymore.

Over in the sidebar of the timeline, on each track, there's a field labeled "Vol:". That's what you wanna use if you wanna raise or lower an entire track's volume. If you wanna selectively raise and lower volume, lift and lower the blue bar on the audio tracks on the actual timeline. You can kind of see it in the picture where the blue line is kinda wiggling in the first part of the video.

So that's how you turn down audio tracks in Vegas. If you've already encoded your video, then you can still keep the encode and play around with audio! Just change your audio settings in your project file, then export that as a WAV or an AAC or whatever, so long as MeGUI's muxers play nice with it. Once your stuff's been exported out, just grab the original video and the new audio and mux them together using MeGUI. I'm sure there are plenty of guides in the OP that'll show you how to do that and if not, it's easy enough, just point the muxing tool to the video and audio file and let it do its thing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm gonna borrow an image from google since I don't use Vegas anymore.

Over in the sidebar of the timeline, on each track, there's a field labeled "Vol:". That's what you wanna use if you wanna raise or lower an entire track's volume. If you wanna selectively raise and lower volume, lift and lower the blue bar on the audio tracks on the actual timeline. You can kind of see it in the picture where the blue line is kinda wiggling in the first part of the video.

So that's how you turn down audio tracks in Vegas. If you've already encoded your video, then you can still keep the encode and play around with audio! Just change your audio settings in your project file, then export that as a WAV or an AAC or whatever, so long as MeGUI's muxers play nice with it. Once your stuff's been exported out, just grab the original video and the new audio and mux them together using MeGUI. I'm sure there are plenty of guides in the OP that'll show you how to do that and if not, it's easy enough, just point the muxing tool to the video and audio file and let it do its thing.

Alright I'm going to try that tonight.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I corrupted the end files somehow, and now I can't open it / upload it.

:( Now I have to re-render for sure.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Turtlicious posted:

I corrupted the end files somehow, and now I can't open it / upload it.

:( Now I have to re-render for sure.

Well poo poo, I'm sorry to hear that.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I'm putting a video together, and someone changed resolutions while fraps was recording, which caused them to have a video that shows the full length but the video stops at the time the resolution was changed. Loading it up with FFVideoSource or AviSource just has it end at the end of the video length. Is there any chance the video is recoverable/still there at the changed resolution, or is it just reporting that length due to the audio length and I'm hosed.

Figured it'd be worth a shot to ask, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a chance.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Try the "track" parameter in FFVideoSource.

https://ffmpegsource.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/ffms2-avisynth.html

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Aw man. That's rad, but. Track 1 is the audio track and track 2 doesn't exist, so it's probably gone for good.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news though, my new machine can re-render each of the 6 videos in about 2 hours, and I can now tweak everything and make sure it's important. I also find a way to squeeze in a higher bitrate by playing with the settings a bit.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The T posted:

I'm putting a video together, and someone changed resolutions while fraps was recording, which caused them to have a video that shows the full length but the video stops at the time the resolution was changed. Loading it up with FFVideoSource or AviSource just has it end at the end of the video length. Is there any chance the video is recoverable/still there at the changed resolution, or is it just reporting that length due to the audio length and I'm hosed.

Figured it'd be worth a shot to ask, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a chance.

Try cutting out the first few minutes of the video with Direct Stream Copy (for both audio and video) in VirtualDub, note down the resulting file size.
Divide that file size by the length in seconds of the cut you made.

Now take the full video file and also divide its file size by the length in seconds.

You now have the average bitrate of a known-good section of the video, as well as the average bitrate of the entire recording as a whole.
If the full recording has a significantly lower bitrate, it probably simply lacks video in the second part after the resolution change.
If the full recording has a significantly higher bitrate, ???

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Are links to SA Mart allowed in this thread? I'm trying to get rid of an EASYCAP and a Hauppauge HD PVR 2, both really awesome DVRs (for composite video and HDMI/Component video, respectively). These are actually pieces of hardware that I've reviewed in this very thread, so I figured the people who would be most interested in them would post/watch this thread

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Does anyone have any idea how Mobius Final Fantasy queries device data? It has a fairly short list of things it will run on, and changing my build.prop to a few of the devices on the list didn't seem to fool it. Is there something else I need to change since I'm doing this in Bluestacks? Registry data or something?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I have a video encoded in 5:4 where I want the display aspect ratio to be 16:9 - is there an easy way to force DAR without re-encoding the entire thing? Just straight Shadowplay output here. As long as the end result is Youtube showing a proper 16:9, I'm fine with it.

If this sounds dumb as poo poo, it is - Shadowplay apparently doesn't respect the res hack I'm using on an old game to get 16:9 support. I guess alternate option: somehow make Shadowplay realize that I'm running in 1920x1080 and not 1280x1024 or whatever.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It should be possible to do that using FFMpeg directly. According to this post to the FFMpeg mailing list, the following command should do it:

code:
ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -vf setdar=16/9 video_16_9.mp4
Edit: Of course, I have no clue if YouTube even pays attention to the DAR in any case, so - you may end up reencoding anyway.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Xenoveritas posted:

Edit: Of course, I have no clue if YouTube even pays attention to the DAR in any case, so - you may end up reencoding anyway.

it doesn't, you'd have to re-encode.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

There's a bunch of tags you can add to your youtube videos that fix aspect ratio.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That's kinda cool. Didn't know you could do that.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OK and well no one was able to answer my question about successfully spoofing a different device on an Android emulator, and though I can run it fine on my Nexus 10 despite not being on the compatible device list, I've procured a 4th gen iPad and brought my work Mac home with me, so I just need a Lightning cable and I should be able to do Mobius Final Fantasy now. Really kinda cheeses me, because I'm not really an Apple person at all, but it's so so so much easier to record using iPad+Mac than it is to use any other combination of Android+whatever, including capture devices because even those still don't get system audio except over the headphone jack. I get that it's not a feature most people would ever touch, but it still feels like a huge oversight in Android that recording is such a huge pain.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Considering that the reason you can record off the iPhone is explicitly to create demo videos (it's why the time will always display as 9:41 while you do): yeah, it's kinda an oversight on Google's part.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I just got a new computer, and in the process of transferring/re-installing programs, I lost the settings I had for cropping the top/bottom screens out of Nintendo DS screenshots. So now I have to remake the .ini files, but I've forgotten where to plug in the necessary numbers in this section:

I know this has been discussed before in this topic and in the Sandcastle, but search didn't turn up the posts I was thinking of, and Google didn't help, either. Crop settings are the last thing I remember when putting together an LP update.

EDIT: And now I can't find the post that involved getting the Rightload LPix plugin to work.

How Ingratiating! fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 11, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
What's the recommended maximum size for an animated gif? This is for about 1000 x 200 px banners, the rest of the post is text and a youtube link.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lpix and imgur have a 2 MB limit i think.

if the rest is just text and a youtube link hitting that wouldn't be a problem

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Any good tips for optimizing gifs in gimp? I'm doing my best to keep images below 1 MB - does this look good by any means?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ProfessorBooty posted:

Any good tips for optimizing gifs in gimp? I'm doing my best to keep images below 1 MB - does this look good by any means?

Seems fine to me, considering the limitations of the format.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

How Ingratiating! posted:

I just got a new computer, and in the process of transferring/re-installing programs, I lost the settings I had for cropping the top/bottom screens out of Nintendo DS screenshots. So now I have to remake the .ini files, but I've forgotten where to plug in the necessary numbers in this section:

I know this has been discussed before in this topic and in the Sandcastle, but search didn't turn up the posts I was thinking of, and Google didn't help, either. Crop settings are the last thing I remember when putting together an LP update.

EDIT: And now I can't find the post that involved getting the Rightload LPix plugin to work.

if I had to 'guess', width = 256, height = 192, top screen: x = 0, y = 0, bottom screen, x = 0, y = 192.

As for the rightload plugin, idk in what capacity it doesn't work, but there is a readme in the rar file that says how to install it, which I assume is still the case.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Mastigophoran posted:

if I had to 'guess', width = 256, height = 192, top screen: x = 0, y = 0, bottom screen, x = 0, y = 192.

As for the rightload plugin, idk in what capacity it doesn't work, but there is a readme in the rar file that says how to install it, which I assume is still the case.

Oh hey, there is a readme. And here I was being obtuse, thinking I could find it in the OP, or by Google-searching. Thanks, now I can actually do stuff again.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
So lately in my streams I've been having audio issues. Every so often (with increasing regularity) my game audio gets horribly distorted and garbled. Like so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYBVZXDDrOE

It's happened with three consoles so far and cleaning out the dust in my computer hasn't fixed the problem.

I'm using an Elgato HD60 plugged into a USB 3.0 port, streaming with OBS to Hitbox. If you need me to I can post screenshots of my streaming settings as well, but the only things I've really messed with audio wise is going into the advanced tab and setting the global audio sync offset to 650, and also changing the audio sync offset on the elgato to -650, but this is to make my commentary match with the video. Other people have done this and haven't had any problems with it so I don't really know what's going on.

If you need any more information I'd be more than willing to provide.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

kalonZombie posted:

I'm using an Elgato HD60 plugged into a USB 3.0 port, streaming with OBS to Hitbox. If you need me to I can post screenshots of my streaming settings as well, but the only things I've really messed with audio wise is going into the advanced tab and setting the global audio sync offset to 650, and also changing the audio sync offset on the elgato to -650, but this is to make my commentary match with the video. Other people have done this and haven't had any problems with it so I don't really know what's going on.

If you need any more information I'd be more than willing to provide.

I'm not sure if i can help, but I had audio sound like this through USB headsets when they were plugged into a hub instead of directly into the computer. Is it possible to change the process priority of the audio software? I use JACK in linux and unless I have the priority maxed out I get weird choppy distortions like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

kalonZombie posted:

So lately in my streams I've been having audio issues.

No kidding! You said this was a recent thing, right? Like it had been working fine before and only now has it been giving you problems? Because my first thought was you mentioning you had it plugged in with USB 3.0; I read the Elgato doesn't support it at all and you're risking stability problems for no benefit (the device can't use the extra bandwidth). Gotta love them trying to spin that as a positive in the article, heh. But if it's worked fine with that setup before we can rule it out.

My next thought is checking what your PC's specs are. When I first tried using my Elgato it was on my laptop, and the video was choppy in 720p and the audio had the gradual desync problem. Turned out that was because the Elgato uses software buffering to make up for USB 2.0 not having the bandwidth for HD video and my laptop wasn't up to snuff. It's weird that that would harm your audio and not your video, but it's possible I guess? My other related thought is that Hitbox has a lot less buffering than Twitch; is your audio bitrate set too high in OBS? I don't think that's it either since your mic is coming through fine but again, still possible.

Things to troubleshoot: do you only have the problem when you're streaming (can you record-to-file and get the same distortion)? Does it only happen in OBS (can you try recording with GameCapture's software instead of OBS)? Does it occur with games you play on your PC? Did you turn off any incompatible sound outputs on your consoles (like Dolby)? GameCapture shouldn't work if you didn't, but you never know. :v: And of course, are your drivers/software up to date? (GameCapture HD, OBS, your sound card, etc.?) Last but not least, I've never had a computer in which one of the USB ports didn't eventually stop working; have you switched the Elgato to another port and tried that?