Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
I'd love to play a game of Fire in the Lake sometime; however, I'm acutely aware that it's a fairly difficult game to play, comprising multiple sides, each of which does something slightly different than the other factions.

Does anybody have any suggestions for teaching the game to new players? They're familiar with games like Dominion and Sentinels of the Multiverse, and some of them have played Twilight Struggle, but this'll be somewhat new to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well you can just introduce them with Cuba Libre but that's not always an option.

I'd advise giving a general overview of game flow (victory conditions, pieces, map, event deck and how it works) and rather than explaining coup cards and everybody's actions just give them each the operations menu to look over and then play a practice campaign of a couple cards up to a coup. Then after you've seen all that, reset everything, explain anything that you missed, give some general advice and then play from the beginning.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I would try Cuba Libre, which is the lightest version to get everyone use to the general flow of the game. It might be worth it for you to run a solo game with some AI so you can have a better idea of how to answers people's questions that will come up. It's definitely a cool game, but I would be super wary to start with FiTL. It's one of those "everyone has to read the whole manual before we play" kind of games.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Darren MacLennan posted:

I'd love to play a game of Fire in the Lake sometime; however, I'm acutely aware that it's a fairly difficult game to play, comprising multiple sides, each of which does something slightly different than the other factions.

Honestly, I'd wean your group on something like Chaos in the Old World first. The roles and strategies are much clearer.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Taught my parents San Juan tonight, sucking them in by saying "It's like a meatier version of Port Royal!"

We got through it okay, I played nicely (still won) and we ended up scoring 22-23-25. Mum's not 100% convinced, but dad liked it enough to play again.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Darren MacLennan posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions for teaching the game to new players? They're familiar with games like Dominion and Sentinels of the Multiverse, and some of them have played Twilight Struggle, but this'll be somewhat new to them.

Why not just tell them to read the instruction manual on their own if they're actually interested in playing it? It's really not a "sit down and tell the rules" type of game.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
My fiance and I have loved every game you folks have recommended. Mage Knight (less so, a bit too mathy/planny for her), Mice & Mystics, all the D&D adventure games, even arkham horror if we got the evening free... we've been having lot's of fun. Only problem is sometimes we're loving ragged tired from the kids and the thought of setting up taking a lot of time, reading a bunch of text (M&M....) and a game of whatever lasting a long time means we don't bother. Is there something that captures the general rpg-lite experience of games like that with a light setup and "quick" play-time? I understand there are limitations of how quick a game like that can be, and I'm sure there would be a loss of depth, but sometimes you just want to drink a beer and crawl a dungeon and stab a dude.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My fiance and I have loved every game you folks have recommended. Mage Knight (less so, a bit too mathy/planny for her), Mice & Mystics, all the D&D adventure games, even arkham horror if we got the evening free... we've been having lot's of fun. Only problem is sometimes we're loving ragged tired from the kids and the thought of setting up taking a lot of time, reading a bunch of text (M&M....) and a game of whatever lasting a long time means we don't bother. Is there something that captures the general rpg-lite experience of games like that with a light setup and "quick" play-time? I understand there are limitations of how quick a game like that can be, and I'm sure there would be a loss of depth, but sometimes you just want to drink a beer and crawl a dungeon and stab a dude.

I think you've already covered most of the lightest dungeon crawlers. Whatever's left would probably be more an abstraction of dungeon crawling, like Pathfinder Adventures (lovely game, don't do this) or Lord of the Rings LCG (good game, but kinda a costly habit considering it's an LCG) or any number of lovely games, like thread favorite Munchkin. If you want some sort of emergent storytelling, there's always like, Once Upon a Time, or even games like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective or Tragedy Looper. Maybe Tales of the Arabian Nights? But playing that with a frequency greater than like once or twice a year is a bit much.

You can navigate the labyrinth of the Cold War with Twilight Struggle, that was sort of like a dungeon right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Star Wars: Imperial Assault has both a campaign and a skirmish mode. For the latter, just fit together the map tiles, read a quick blurb about the goals, and then face off.

The campaign is more in-depth, kind of M&M in terms of text and whatnot. But skirmish mode has little of that.

You can also get some good tactical skirmish stuff out of X-Wing or Armada. Star Wars games these days are actually good.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Ok I'll go buy all of that thanks

(The tragedy looper that isn't anime is still the same gameplay right?)

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 11, 2015

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Except Munchkin

E: Everytime I ask for help I get a great suggestion, I immediately go to the store to buy it, I take it home and we have a blast. It's become a cornerstone of our recreational relationship. Thanks board game thread!
\/

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 11, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Well, don't ever say this thread never helped anyone.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Harvey Mantaco posted:

(The tragedy looper that isn't anime is still the same gameplay right?)

As far as I know there isn't a non-anime Tragedy Looper, or at least not yet. So far the marketing department was just testing the waters.

Get Tragedy Looper anyhow, it's no Tanto Cuore.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Get Tragedy Looper anyhow, it's no Tanto Cuore.

I'd consider bringing anime into the house but I have a small child here, thanks for the recommendation though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'd consider bringing anime into the house but I have a small child here, thanks for the recommendation though.

I don't follow.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I don't follow.

The anime held within will imbue their children with 3000-year-old demon souls.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

What about Return of the Heroes? Pretty quick set-up, RPG-lite quest + hack and slash, 90-ish minute play time, hilarious Poser-quality art. What's not to love?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

From what I've seen of traglooper there's no fanservice or anything, I still don't like the art but it's not something I'd worry about kids seeing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
To be fair, the Mastermind is a real babe

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Hello small child, please let a grownup back on the computer.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone played Spyfall yet? Broken Loose, you seem to be all over these social deduction games, any thoughts? Seems like it was popular at the cons and is now getting some reviews

One of my groups proxied it a while ago and so I can't speak for the official release, the proxy was great. The group is used to Avalon / Werewolf / etc all the time and so are steeped in the hidden roles / social deduction games and this game holds up. What is good is that it plays in 10 minutes but unlike some other super light games you feel like you have stakes in it still. Maybe it is just the group I'm with but I'd definitely check it out if you are into the type of game it is. Probably won't win you over if you are not into it to begin with, but the short playtime is a huge selling point.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Maybe try Welcome to the Dungeon? It's a light bluffing and risk-taking game about seeding a dungeon deck full of monsters and daring your opponent to bite the bullet and head in. I wrote up some words about it here. Also, it's like 15 bux.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I think the LOTR LCG is by far the best option for a couple looking for a cooperative experience that you won't burn out on quick. Yes you will need to buy into it a bit, but grab the core set and the 'saga' expansions mirroring the hobbit and Lord of the Rings stories (starts with Over Hill and Under Hill I think) and you have a ton of content that doesn't require any of the other expansions or as much deck building. Those particular expansions I think even have recommended starting decks just made up of the core set and the progressive saga expansions.

Once you've played a couple of games you can set up and play quickly and I think it is an ideal game for couples with almost infinite extra content to delve into if you get into it. My wife and I play a fair amount and haven't touched even half of what's out there.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

+1 for sniping orcs and hiding from trolls with your wife in LotR LCG. You have my axe

EBag
May 18, 2006

I wasn't a fan of the LotR LCG. I can understand the appeal with all the scenarios and if you really like deckbuilding but I've never been into it, and my wife didn't either. Aside from that though, the game just wasn't fun for us. The choices once you were playing felt somewhat forced, the difficulty was extremely high after the first scenario and it just felt punishing. Not really what we want to play after a day of work.

We've been playing a lot of Roll for the Galaxy and a bit of Asante recently when we want something quick and satisfying. Not RPGs but nice lighter games that are good when you just want to unwind for a bit.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FORGE WAR with 2 players is a totally different and equally awesome game as with 4.

It remains by far the best game I have played in 2015.

I am gearing up to try the epic variant soon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Broken Loose taught me and another guy Dungeon Lords tonight, and despite early celebrations from him, I am the true Dungeon Lord over the other three. I was sure I'd be in last place due to a bad mistake late in the second year, but my myriad of traps pulled me through and my traditional dungeon bonus broke a tie I would have otherwise lost due to a spell effect. Fun game, love the simultaneous worker placement and managing your evilness for various boons and buffs.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Forge War looks interesting

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Lord of the Rings LCG (good game, but kinda a costly habit considering it's an LCG)

The thing about LotR LCG is that because it's co-operative, there's no pressure, no arms race to stay on the cutting edge. It uses the LCG model for a regular-rear end board game. My biggest gripe with it is it's a Fantasy Flight card game, so the core set has a bunch of singleton copies of important staple cards; BUT because there's no versus scene there's also absolutely nothing stopping you from drawing up proxies, unlike Netrunner and its ilk.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some Numbers posted:

I don't follow.

He doesn't want Social Services taking his child away.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

gently caress this gay hand.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

He doesn't want Social Services taking his child away.

We're vilifying anime in the board game thread...why?

Zveroboy posted:

You can always afford another copper! :downs:

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

jivjov posted:

You can always afford another copper! :downs:

Dominion has one of the clearest "Oh, now I get it!" moments of any board game I've played. When people realise that buying two Coppers just to use up your last two buys is rarely a good idea, that's when the game starts to really shine.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Zveroboy posted:

Your mistake was somehow gaining an Estate

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

Your mistake was somehow gaining an Estate

It was actually a Province :ssh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zveroboy posted:

Dominion has one of the clearest "Oh, now I get it!" moments of any board game I've played. When people realise that buying two Coppers just to use up your last two buys is rarely a good idea, that's when the game starts to really shine.

Yeah, it's always fun to see someone suddenly realize "do not bloat your deck" is an important concept. So many people I've played Dominion with just assume more cards = better deck.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
And then you play a Gardens deck and see suspicion transform into full panic when they realize what you're doing.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Zveroboy posted:

Actually in a lot of games, this is quite lucky. What would you rather do: get all that crap out of the way and then buy Provinces the rest of the time, or have a bunch of $7 hands?

Of course the ideal would be if the hand full of Estates can be on the bottom of the deck, and then maybe the game ends before you get there. Or at least they miss the reshuffle. But still, pretty good.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

McNerd posted:

Actually in a lot of games, this is quite lucky. What would you rather do: get all that crap out of the way and then buy Provinces the rest of the time, or have a bunch of $7 hands?

Of course the ideal would be if the hand full of Estates can be on the bottom of the deck, and then maybe the game ends before you get there. Or at least they miss the reshuffle. But still, pretty good.

Yeah I would be pretty happy to see that hand. At least it wasn't a gold you were wasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zveroboy posted:

It was actually a Province :ssh:

Then your mistake was not trashing your Estates.