Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Definitely Curate. We had a great time eating/drinking there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

drat, we walked by Curate and I wanted to go, but she wasn't feeling Spanish food. Will have to check it out the next time we're there.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

VOTE FOR THE WINNER OF ICSA BREAD!

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I smoked some cheap flat iron steaks today to use for steak salad. Smoking is a totally underrated method for cooking steak, especially with all the hemen saying "reverse seer this motherfucker."

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Dear LJ,

In a lot of ways, this is a difficult post to make, but why the hell not. As of this morning, for the first time in approximately 10 years, I no longer fit the medical criteria for obesity. Since Jan of 2014 I've been on a path to being healthy. While I still have a ways to go, I'm 80% to my goal, and have crossed the threshold from 'obese' to simply 'overweight'. I still need to drop 20 or so more pounds to be at the lightest adult weight I've seen, but this time I'm not doing any fad nonsense. Eat right, exercise a ton. No big secret.

</livejournal>

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Phummus posted:

Dear LJ,

In a lot of ways, this is a difficult post to make, but why the hell not. As of this morning, for the first time in approximately 10 years, I no longer fit the medical criteria for obesity. Since Jan of 2014 I've been on a path to being healthy. While I still have a ways to go, I'm 80% to my goal, and have crossed the threshold from 'obese' to simply 'overweight'. I still need to drop 20 or so more pounds to be at the lightest adult weight I've seen, but this time I'm not doing any fad nonsense. Eat right, exercise a ton. No big secret.

</livejournal>

Congratulations! Keep it up!!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phummus posted:

Dear LJ,

</livejournal>

Good Job, I hope you can keep it up.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Phummus posted:

Dear LJ,

</livejournal>

Congrats! I hope you can keep it down.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Sorry Not sorry for your loss.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It means there's less Phummus in the world

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

It means there's less Phummus in the world

I've always preferred quality to quantity.

Except when it comes to pr0k's mom.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Well you don't really have a choice there.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Quantity has a quality all its own.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Phummus posted:

Dear LJ,

</livejournal>

gently caress yeah man :)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Phummus posted:

Dear LJ,

</livejournal>

drat good job dude! I took a weight loss short cut by accidentally getting appendicitis and not really eating for 3 weeks. And for some reason I never eat when I'm in the kitchen, I just nibble on everything.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I can't bear low fat hummus. Why is everyone raving about it?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Phummus posted:

Dear LJ,

</livejournal>

gj, poo poo is tough.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Thanks everyone!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Have you tasted him?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

People who use their diet as their identity care more about low fat/gluten free/low sodium/etc than actual flavor.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Seriously, it's not like chickpeas and olive oil had that much fat in the first place.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

contrapants posted:

People who use their diet as their identity care more about low fat/gluten free/low sodium/etc than actual flavor.

I'd argue most of us regular posters use our diet as (part of) our identity, just in a less evangelical fashion than, say, vegans. Food choices are intimately tied to cultural, geographic, social, economic, and sometimes political identity like few other things in human experience.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bartolimu posted:

I'd argue most of us regular posters use our diet as (part of) our identity, just in a less evangelical fashion than, say, vegans. Food choices are intimately tied to cultural, geographic, social, economic, and sometimes political identity like few other things in human experience.

I agree. We are part of an ancient food culture going TRY IT IT'S GOOD I SWEAR

A noble group, bringing spices to Europe, noodles to Italy, potatoes to Ireland, and Tex-Mex everywhere.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I agree. I was referring to the constant dietary one-upmanship that I see from anti-gluten zealots and the like.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I agree. We are part of an ancient food culture going TRY IT IT'S GOOD I SWEAR

A noble group, bringing spices to Europe, noodles to Italy, potatoes to Ireland, and Tex-Mex everywhere.

You had me until the last part.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

contrapants posted:

:thejoke:

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

contrapants posted:

Seriously, it's not like chickpeas and olive oil had that much fat in the first place.

One of those things is almost entirely fat!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Filboid Studge posted:

One of those things is almost entirely fat!

It's only a tablespoon or two per pound of beans.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This reminds me of a good joke. I apologise if you've heard it before...

What's the difference between a garbanzo bean and a chickpea?

I've never paid fifty quid to make a garbanzo bean in my mouth.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scientastic posted:

lol

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Scientastic posted:

I don't believe you.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We are in Italy and eating our summer holiday staple every day.
Get good cooked chickpeas (the best seem to be bottled, not tinned). If you're not lazy buy and cook them yourself.
Mash with fork or masher. (The texture should be different to phummus - still a bit coarse and uneven).
Add good EVOO, salty pep, lemon juice, and garlic puréed with the flat of the knife.
Eat.
It's quite different from humous; texture and lack of tahini. With good chickpeas it's absolutely delicious.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

I'm stealing this.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

That joke is older than pr0k's mom.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Be jelly of my new appliance:

Price paid: $0. Work was gonna toss it out because someone broke it, and its the oldest of three. Took it home, just loose/corroded power cables. Works just fine.

e: I have a $1300 food processor for home use, lolololol

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Be jelly of my new appliance:

Price paid: $0. Work was gonna toss it out because someone broke it, and its the oldest of three. Took it home, just loose/corroded power cables. Works just fine.

e: I have a $1300 food processor for home use, lolololol

I am super jelly. Scammed poo poo is the best poo poo! Don't electrocute yourself.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

DumbparameciuM posted:

I am super jelly. Scammed poo poo is the best poo poo! Don't electrocute yourself.

It's not like I scammed it, we legitimately thought it was broken. Someone dropped it and the bottom fell out and it would not turn on, and it's been like that for weeks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

It's not like I scammed it, we legitimately thought it was broken. Someone dropped it and the bottom fell out and it would not turn on, and it's been like that for weeks.

I did that with a Mac from work that needed a new hard drive. I asked, nobody cared, I risked the cash to see if it was the HDD and it was.

The great part about travelling is local food, especially cheese. The little local shop has a small selection with a fantastic goats' cheese (similar in style to pecorino), and at the market on Wednesday we got a pecorino aged in hay which is just beautiful; full-flavoured without being harsh or pungent, creamy, slightly sheepy, hint of freshness, but lots of taste to it. Luckily we bought a big hunk. The local shop also sells a very drinkable local white wine, fruity and easy, for a whopping €4.50 a bottle. My son loves Italy: pasta, pizza, cheese, ice cream.

therattle fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 13, 2015

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

In one of my former jobs at an electrical outlet store, I scored myself a $400 grill almost the same way. Came back as a return because one of the plastic LED covers had broken during shipping, the customer never even turned it on. We tested it and it worked fine. Sealed the hole over the LED and the boss let me take it home since we would have had to destroy it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
GBS X E/N: My fiancee is currently giving me the silent treatment because I told her not to eat dessert before dinner. Is there a scientific reason why your parents always told you to eat dinner first (other than "be more full so you eat less dessert") or am I just a grumpy grandpa?