Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I find it kinda weird that Neophytes in Crusader squads are 1 point cheaper than regular ol' Scouts.
No Infiltrate, Scout, or Move Through Cover though.

BULBASAUR posted:

I wonder if FW will issue an FAQ or rules update

nah, they won't
I am really hoping they at least update their dreadnoughts to have the correct number of attacks. I care about nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

BULBASAUR posted:

nah, they won't

They'll get to it after they update IA11 for the Eldar's 6th edition codex.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

No Infiltrate, Scout, or Move Through Cover though.
Duh, yeah, that makes sense. I'll just be over here being dumb.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Played a 1500 list last weekend against cool dude Syncope. Three hive tyrants including the swarm lord versus all the lemon russes. Highlights include the incredible melting plasma gunner, tank shells bouncing off gaunts only to land back on other random tanks. Guardsmen screaming at gaunts giving them a heart attack WITH THEIR MIND. A whole lot of failing to pen with S10 lance shots. Seriously, warp blast is the worse.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

LordAba posted:

Seriously, warp blast is the worse.

Never has something more designed to hurt tanks, not hurt tanks ever.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Codex: Tyranids posted:

The Tyranid taps into the raw power of the Hive Mind, unleashing it as a blast of pure Warp energy that arcs from its cranium and vaporises its prey.

Roll to manifest, roll to deny, roll to hit, roll to penetrate, roll for damage.....

edit: vvvvvv lol I forgot it's WC2, too. What a garbage loving power vvvvvv

"Zoanthropes are able to focus their powers into searing beams of psychic force that can carve open power armour and punch ragged holes in battle tanks..."

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 10, 2015

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Sometimes Warp Lance takes down a land raider or storm talon in one shot.

Most times it fails to harm a rhino.

Being Warp Charge 1 would help it a lot. It would help a LOT of the WC2 witchfires. It's like when determining how many warp dice it needs, the rules writers completely forget that the power also needs to roll to hit. So you get poo poo like the Malecetpor, which has a moderately useful power, that will miss half the time, with warp charge 2.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hencoe posted:

Never has something more designed to hurt tanks, not hurt tanks ever.

Similarly, I don't think I've ever lost a vehicle to a bright Lance.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Rubber Lances

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They'll get to it after they update IA11 for the Eldar's 6th edition codex.

No see all we have to do is go on the official Games Workshop forums and start a thread. The moderators will forward it to the faq team and we'll have an update in a few days!

Why are you all looking at me like that?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

panascope posted:

Similarly, I don't think I've ever lost a vehicle to a bright Lance.

I've killed more vehicles with darkfire cannons than I have warp lance.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

nah, they won't

Asking. I'll let you know what the response/priority is if I hear.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Well, I just scored four new Rhinos and a Valkyrie for 60% off retail.

I thought I was just going to play Combat Patrol.

Now I don't know what is happening.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

spacegoat posted:

"Zoanthropes are able to focus their powers into searing beams of psychic force that can carve open power armour and punch ragged holes in battle tanks..."
It says they're able, not that they're actually going to, the lazy gits.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, I just scored four new Rhinos and a Valkyrie for 60% off retail.

I thought I was just going to play Combat Patrol.

Now I don't know what is happening.
You're playing Warhammer 40,000, son :clint:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

SRM posted:

:respek: dig that old model, I actually don't have that dude but I have some of the plastic Space Hulk Librarians, goopy details and all.

Also Calgar's gauntlets aren't listed as Unwieldy anymore. Get ready to get power fisted at I5, space chumps.

I used to have a 3rd? edition pewter Terminator that had lightning details all over the armor. I cant find a picture of the model, do you know what model I am talking about? The lighting was lifted not engraved.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ANAmal.net posted:

haha christ

Just stick together and you can ignore the effects of basically any damage roll that isn't "explodes". Love it, gonna run this in every single game.

I mean, assuming DA get anything remotely that cool, which they probably won't. But it feels good to dream sometimes.

Ain't this some poo poo.

So can you shove two squads of terminators and one full of the 4 librarians, and have a 14/14/14 squad or LRs that ignores the effects of all pens not a 5+, with hood and able casting on a 2+? Oh and it can re-roll against one of the main types of units to have a decent chance at killing it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JEEVES420 posted:

I used to have a 3rd? edition pewter Terminator that had lightning details all over the armor. I cant find a picture of the model, do you know what model I am talking about? The lighting was lifted not engraved.
Old 2nd-3rd ed Assault Terminators had lightning bolts on the Crux Terminatus, and ones with TH/SS had them on their weapons:

I've got a Rogue Trader assault Terminator that also has some lightning on him:

The alternative would be something like the Space Wolves Rune Priest in Terminator armor (not mine):

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Possibly an original grey knight

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Not much lightning on them, but a lot of cool detail. Here's my buddy's:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

SRM posted:

The alternative would be something like the Space Wolves Rune Priest in Terminator armor (not mine):

You are the man of old cast. It is the Space Wolves Ruine Priest in Terminator armor. I enjoyed painting it as a kid. I wish I still have it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Ain't this some poo poo.

So can you shove two squads of terminators and one full of the 4 librarians, and have a 14/14/14 squad or LRs that ignores the effects of all pens not a 5+, with hood and able casting on a 2+? Oh and it can re-roll against one of the main types of units to have a decent chance at killing it.

My Land Raiders always die from being glanced to death, which won't change, and grav-guns against them will still get the bonus immobilize since it's not a damage chart result. The rerolls to hit are nice, though. I think it's a fine formation, but it's not good enough to make me want to go out and buy more Land Raiders. It just makes them a little more playable, especially the classic Phobos.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

OhDearGodNo posted:

Ain't this some poo poo.

Please Let DA have this too.

Oh look, they found a Landspeeder friend...and now they're shrouded on top of it all.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JEEVES420 posted:

You are the man of old cast. It is the Space Wolves Ruine Priest in Terminator armor. I enjoyed painting it as a kid. I wish I still have it.
Happy to help! Check your PMs.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
I brought my models, paints, and brushes to work tonight, so I will effectively be paid to paint my Deathwing.

:boom:
Defacto Eavy Metal team right here.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'll be permanently remoting into work in like two weeks.

I'm not going to gently caress off and paint on the clock though, that's nuts.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

I brought my models, paints, and brushes to work tonight, so I will effectively be paid to paint my Deathwing.

:boom:
Defacto Eavy Metal team right here.

I used to do this when I worked in a call center. I didn't feel bad about painting mans while fixing peoples internet because call centers are goddamn 21st century coal mines and gently caress them. I miss being able to paint an entire squad in one day but I sure as hell don't miss that god forsaken work environment.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BULBASAUR posted:

nah, they won't

they did for the 6th ed codex

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
There's still no update to bring IA1 2nd edition in line with the new codex, and in fact FW changed several of the superheavies in that book when they released IA: Apocalypse not long after. There's also still no FAQ for the new Vraks book, although there's nothing that needs fixed too badly in that. They desperately need to hire a part time minimum wage person to make FAQs and poo poo. It's not like it takes much/any design experience to change numbers to be in line with new books and fix all their copy editing mistakes that could be caught with one read through of the book before printing.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 11, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've done it when things were really, really slow.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm in a call center and my supervisor has said that so long as outages and calls are handled in a timely manner he doesn't really care WTF I do on the clock, as we're dead from about 1-6 most nights.

I've got a tile and a tablecloth, so I'm not worried about making a mess.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Ghost Hand, you have something of an inside line into FW at least. Can you explain why FW and GW are absolutely appalling with FAQs, Errata and rules adjustments?

The new Space Marine codex has brought it home for me - we have cheaper terminators, access to Grav, better scouts, better stormtalons... And none of this is going to be FAQ'd for the other codexes. An FAQ is a sheet of loving paper posted on the Internet. It just seems ridiculous that GW can't read the wind and say 'hmm terminators don't seem that competitive in all the major leagues and tournaments... OK here is an FAQ to make them 32 not 40 pts' or something.

The warp Lance point just brought this home. That power is absolute dogshit.

God drat a goon committee could triple GW profits in half a year if we could have some sort of input.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I will proofread and edit all of FWs published materials extremely well before they send them off to the printer if they send me a free copy of the end product. I'd be glad to do it, it would be fun and easy. I'll sign whatever NDAs and poo poo they want.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lord Twisted posted:

The new Space Marine codex has brought it home for me - we have cheaper terminators, access to Grav, better scouts, better stormtalons... And none of this is going to be FAQ'd for the other codexes.

They could FAQ it...or they could sell more copies of the next new codex when people scramble for them to get the hot new cheap terminators et al. Sales by way of codex creep.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

Sometimes Warp Lance takes down a land raider or storm talon in one shot.

Most times it fails to harm a rhino.

Being Warp Charge 1 would help it a lot. It would help a LOT of the WC2 witchfires. It's like when determining how many warp dice it needs, the rules writers completely forget that the power also needs to roll to hit. So you get poo poo like the Malecetpor, which has a moderately useful power, that will miss half the time, with warp charge 2.

I don't get why Witchfires don't just auto-hit like Malediction & Nova powers. Getting in range, manifesting and denying them is already enough hoops to jump through.

However it is all the more rewarding when it pays off. While Warp Lance rarely kills much for me, it did once rip over half the HP from a Warhound Titan, helping to kill it in a single turn. Took a full brood of Zoeys in a pod, but boy was that fun.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lord Twisted posted:

Ghost Hand, you have something of an inside line into FW at least. Can you explain why FW and GW are absolutely appalling with FAQs, Errata and rules adjustments?

The new Space Marine codex has brought it home for me - we have cheaper terminators, access to Grav, better scouts, better stormtalons... And none of this is going to be FAQ'd for the other codexes. An FAQ is a sheet of loving paper posted on the Internet. It just seems ridiculous that GW can't read the wind and say 'hmm terminators don't seem that competitive in all the major leagues and tournaments... OK here is an FAQ to make them 32 not 40 pts' or something.

The warp Lance point just brought this home. That power is absolute dogshit.

God drat a goon committee could triple GW profits in half a year if we could have some sort of input.

You're complaining that they haven't released an FAQ to adjust other models to points values from a codex that's not out yet.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
That is a valid point. Wait a couple of weeks and then send it.

Serious G, do you play or are you focussed on the painting. Would you be up for WHW in September?

E: along with krushgroove and zark the damned et al. So a collection of strangers off the internet, not just me.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 11, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
^^^ yeah this is in my calendar, just need to book the day off and explain to the other half why I want to take a day off in the middle of the week! very sure I'll make it though

Crossposting from the painting thread, hoping to get some feedback - I have a question for you guys...about models like this:

What do you guys think about this? Is this the new hotness for players & collectors? It seems to be, from what I see.

This trend of glow effects on every part of the model is weird/annoying to me. It looks like this started out as a way to inject variations of color, spot color, etc., but it's grown into something that looks like a failed 3D HDR Flickr album.

I see people posting this sort of thing on Facebook and getting loads of Likes ... I'm also trying to sell model painting service via Facebook & ebay but my examples just don't stand out next to this, because it's more realistic and gritty (I'm aware I need more & better examples and I've got some stuff that will be finished in the next few weeks, so far I've been showing off only the blue Knights I painted last year and my recently painted superheavies).

I guess my question is what do you guys think of this, and how do I make my own stuff stand out when it's posted alongside this kind of thing? I try to emphasize my building, magnetizing and straightforwardness and this tack is working, but slowly, I know I need to build up my 'portfolio' and repeat business but to grab the attention of new people it's frustrating that this sort of thing seems to garner so much attention.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JackMack posted:

That is a valid point. Wait a couple of weeks and then send it.

Serious G, do you play or are you focussed on the painting. Would you be up for WHW in September?

I don't really enjoy playing games tbh.

krushgroove posted:

^^^ yeah this is in my calendar, just need to book the day off and explain to the other half why I want to take a day off in the middle of the week! very sure I'll make it though

Crossposting from the painting thread, hoping to get some feedback - I have a question for you guys...about models like this:

What do you guys think about this? Is this the new hotness for players & collectors? It seems to be, from what I see.

This trend of glow effects on every part of the model is weird/annoying to me. It looks like this started out as a way to inject variations of color, spot color, etc., but it's grown into something that looks like a failed 3D HDR Flickr album.

I see people posting this sort of thing on Facebook and getting loads of Likes ... I'm also trying to sell model painting service via Facebook & ebay but my examples just don't stand out next to this, because it's more realistic and gritty (I'm aware I need more & better examples and I've got some stuff that will be finished in the next few weeks, so far I've been showing off only the blue Knights I painted last year and my recently painted superheavies).

I guess my question is what do you guys think of this, and how do I make my own stuff stand out when it's posted alongside this kind of thing? I try to emphasize my building, magnetizing and straightforwardness and this tack is working, but slowly, I know I need to build up my 'portfolio' and repeat business but to grab the attention of new people it's frustrating that this sort of thing seems to garner so much attention.

I think it looks poo poo and that anyone paying for that is a mug. If you actually see that model close up its painted horrifically, yet the ability to blast certain areas with an airbrush makes it 'pro'. Theres a massive glut of over airbrushed garbage being painted by 'pro's'. Theres a reason all the pictures are shot on a black background with poor lighting to hide the bits they havent even painted.

Basically keep doing what you're doing.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 11, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I like it, but I'm of the view that there's nothing wrong with colour being over the top. To give the same complaint about the way FPS games moved (and are now apparently moving away from again) there's enough drab brown in the world already, surely toy soldiers (especially futuristic super soldiers in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE) are the best place to go a little wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

krushgroove posted:

I guess it is more forgivable on tanks / large walkers like this, but my thoughts are if you can tell it looks airbrushed you are using an airbrush wrong.

EDIT: Basically, the BuyPainted dude on youtube is great.

• Locked thread