Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Sizone posted:

Off the top of my head, 1: check volume/cutoff that is, make sure the bass is actually producing sound. 2: They may have done their midi channel numbering as 0-15, so channel 1 is channel 2 to every thing else.

Volume and cutoff are working, I can play notes fine while using the attached ribbon controller. According to the midi implementation, it starts at channel 1 so I'm a bit at a loss as to why it won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Looking at the manual, "midi rx short message" maybe under the specifying global parameters heading.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Sizone posted:

Looking at the manual, "midi rx short message" maybe under the specifying global parameters heading.

Just turned it on, works perfectly now. Thanks!!

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Tayter Swift posted:

Is there a guitar pedal or something that just outputs an ASDR envelope in response to a trigger? I'd like one to tie into my Moogerfooger I think the Dreadbox Epsilon would be what I'm looking for but none of the US distributors have it in stock so at this rate the only solution I see is a second Microbrute...

Would something like this work? http://www.pigtronix.com/products/philosopher-king/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

THAT'S IT

12v for the envelope is crazy high but I have attenuators on the CP-251. Amazon ha it for $250 too which is fine. Thank you!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Should I get an sh-201 for 200$

Is it right for me to get an sh-201? Mostly I want it so the baby can have something with knobs to gently caress up until she's old enough to play the jx-3p without loving it up.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sizone posted:

Should I get an sh-201 for 200$

Is it right for me to get an sh-201? Mostly I want it so the baby can have something with knobs to gently caress up until she's old enough to play the jx-3p without loving it up.

I don't see why not.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Crossposting from the 'How do I get a particular sound' thread.

I'm enjoying the hell out of my Arturia KeyLab 61 so far, it seems to be built like a tank and it made it through the first show with it (and my first show ever on keys of any sort) well enough. Still pouring over this entire thread as well as reading anything I can find about how to effectively use one of these things.

Anyway, to the point, can anyone help me figure out how to recreate the sound at the beginning of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NZsCYOM4j0 (Stabbing Westward, 'Save Yourself').

I'm on OS X with Logic Pro X, MainStage and the KeyLab suite (if that matters).

(As an aside, I ended up setting my rig up in a weird way so my KeyLab runs through my AxeFx in order to share my Kaoss Pad and holy poo poo using it all together sounds evil as poo poo, it's awesome.)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The "bwee uh bw bw bw bwee uh" noise? I'd do it with a wavetable synth with a vocal wavetable, but uhhhh... that's sort of my synth stock and trade so I'm a little biased. If you need a less specialized way to recreate it, look into resonant bandpass filters. If you have a phoneme/vowel sound kind of sample based oscillator you can feed that filter, so much the better.

fake edit: TALK BOX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9D-kUEp03c

Sizone fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 10, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
So today I got an old Windows Vista machine off craigslist. Why, you ask? So that I can read and write disks in the bizarre proprietary GEM S2R format. I was successful, but now I'm faced with two problems. First, I need to find something like isobuster to explorer and alter the contents of the .img file the disk reader program saves to the pc (and figure out where in the mess the tuning files are). Secondly, and probably more importantly, I need to figure out why I do this kind of poo poo to myself and figure out some way to stop doing this to myself. Mastery of old hardware for its own sake, for the sake of fanciness, used to be a lot more fun. The shitness of the ASR-X has ruined it for me though. I no longer get pleasure in doing arcane studies and rituals in order to wrangle synths.

I....I think I'm about ready to do everything using Reaktor and maybe my iPad.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Sounds like a guitar into a wah he's playing into another cocked wah to me. Maybe a Q tron-esque envelope follower into a cocked wah? Agree look at bandpass filters.

Sizone posted:

The ancient covenants will not go ignored for very long. We are diseased. :cthulhu:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Sizone posted:

So today I got an old Windows Vista machine off craigslist. Why, you ask? So that I can read and write disks in the bizarre proprietary GEM S2R format. I was successful, but now I'm faced with two problems. First, I need to find something like isobuster to explorer and alter the contents of the .img file the disk reader program saves to the pc (and figure out where in the mess the tuning files are). Secondly, and probably more importantly, I need to figure out why I do this kind of poo poo to myself and figure out some way to stop doing this to myself. Mastery of old hardware for its own sake, for the sake of fanciness, used to be a lot more fun. The shitness of the ASR-X has ruined it for me though. I no longer get pleasure in doing arcane studies and rituals in order to wrangle synths.

Why not run a virtual machine?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mr. Glass posted:

i put together a synthrotek vca kit tonight. it was a lot of fun, highly recommended :science:

now i just need to wait until september to fill out my remaining rack space. have a Clouds and an Elements preordered, apparently the next production run isn't until then.

There's a local prayer circle forming for the local modular establishment's shipment of Clouds - last time only one arrived (and it apparently went to Deadmau5) so people are getting nervous that there won't be enough to fill preorders this batch. I lucked out and got Elements at a discount after some guy got cold feet about his shiny new rack of modules.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

stillvisions posted:

There's a local prayer circle forming for the local modular establishment's shipment of Clouds - last time only one arrived (and it apparently went to Deadmau5) so people are getting nervous that there won't be enough to fill preorders this batch. I lucked out and got Elements at a discount after some guy got cold feet about his shiny new rack of modules.

yeah, MI stuff seems to be in pretty high demand (and for good reason, it's awesome). my favorite mode on Braids is "pluk" and Elements looks to be that but expanded out into a full-blown module, so i'm pretty excited to try it

i like Braids a lot but i don't like that the timbre/color knobs mean totally different things on different modes, since switching modes means i typically have to re-patch any modulation sources that go into those.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Startyde posted:

It's all the worst things about 80s synths put together in one box AND sounds like poo poo. With the atomahawk upgrade it's MIDI automated poo poo. Its DCOs are square wave generators mixed together, one filter for all voices. I mean yeah chord memory.
It's not the poor man's ESQ1. Unless you're getting it cheap and love PSG-sounding things I wouldn't bother. The microkorg is Cool And Good in comparison.

Nevermind then :/
I really don't know what I'm going to do with this thing :negative:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Startyde posted:

It's all the worst things about 80s synths put together in one box AND sounds like poo poo. With the atomahawk upgrade it's MIDI automated poo poo. Its DCOs are square wave generators mixed together, one filter for all voices. I mean yeah chord memory.
It's not the poor man's ESQ1. Unless you're getting it cheap and love PSG-sounding things I wouldn't bother. The microkorg is Cool And Good in comparison.

Still, I love my Poly :colbert:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Have any of you had a chance to dick around with an Akai Advance keyboard? How do the keys feel?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Why not run a virtual machine?

Can't virtualize a floppy drive interface.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sizone posted:

Can't virtualize a floppy drive interface.
I've got a usb floppy drive, though something rattles in the back of my brain that support (microsoft drivers) for such a device stopped after Windows 7, I'm not sure. But on 7 it worked to the point of being drive A: and everything.

Pretty sure you could at least have made images from the disks with that that you could use in a virtual machine.

Bit late now, I guess.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Need direct access to the floppy controller to r/w non standard disks, USB floppies don't work.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The more you know, I guess. I can't say I tried anything remotely like that.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

The more you know, I guess. I can't say I tried anything remotely like that.

Startyde posted:

We are diseased. :cthulhu:

Synth necromancy is a cold and ghoulish art.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've got a usb floppy drive, though something rattles in the back of my brain that support (microsoft drivers) for such a device stopped after Windows 7, I'm not sure. But on 7 it worked to the point of being drive A: and everything.

Pretty sure you could at least have made images from the disks with that that you could use in a virtual machine.

Bit late now, I guess.

WRONG.

Omniflop won't work with usb floppy drives at all. Also, I've never really been able to read or format or write to, even normally formatted, floppys properly with a usb drive. I ended up needing to use the mac g4 to format and write the floppy used to update the asr-x firmware. By contrast, my new vintage vista box has read and formatted everything I've thrown at it with no problems.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

Also, I've never really been able to read or format or write to, even normally formatted, floppys properly with a usb drive.
I have that at least.

Startyde posted:

It's me, patient zero, the typhoid mary. Hardware synths are obsolete. Let the end times come.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's me, patient zero, the typhoid mary. Hardware synths are obsolete. Let the end times come.

Quotin' this for 10 years down the line when you're standing in front of your 30k$ modular.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sizone posted:

I need to figure out why I do this kind of poo poo to myself and figure out some way to stop doing this to myself. Mastery of old hardware for its own sake, for the sake of fanciness, used to be a lot more fun. The shitness of the ASR-X has ruined it for me though. I no longer get pleasure in doing arcane studies and rituals in order to wrangle synths.

For people of my old man's age, it was steam trains and model railroads. They would buy track and switches and order the locomotives and carriages from Germany (just like modules) and best of all have a real model steam engine that you had to fill the boiler with water and put a fire under it and all that. The came the guys that collect PDP12's and spend ages getting them and old mainframes in general to do their thing. Now there's people fixing up old 70's synthesisers... and 80's games... and 90's websites...

And I say God bless the whole lot of them for maintaining all this old crap because it keeps a variety of experiences and ideas alive you don't get from the State of The Art. Yes, it's a pain to figure out all this old crap, but no matter how trivial it seems now, it preserves something. I'm thinking how vinyl is now a growing thing, and yet there's only two people left in the world that know how to make acetate blanks...

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Startyde posted:

I thought I was plumbing the depths when I was looking for a service manual for the Greymatter E board in my DX7IIFD but it appears I have much to learn. Maybe I need to buy an old rack sampler and scour ebay for scsi hardware. Something something pinhead.jpg we have such sights to show you...

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Just placed the pre order for an elements, I am officially going modular.
Also sent out the invoice that's paying for the shared system today. Sooon...

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

cubicle gangster posted:

Just placed the pre order for an elements, I am officially going modular.
Also sent out the invoice that's paying for the shared system today. Sooon...

you're getting the super cool black and gold edition one right? right?????

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I would love to, but i'd be paying an extra $1k to not be able to fit an elements into it and get a reverb I dont need. It does look amazing though.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
dunno if anyone else has an audiothingies P6 but he just released a new firmware that looks pretty cool: http://www.audiothingies.com

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Anybody ever try to get a mod wheel fixed on a supernova? Is it expensive or worth the hassle? I'm half thinking of just getting another and keeping what I have for parts.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I can't get over how cool Karplus Strong string synthesis is.

Now the Patchblock does a great Shamisen impression.

e: Oh jesus that screenshot. Goddamnit retina.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 12, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

AxeBreaker posted:

Anybody ever try to get a mod wheel fixed on a supernova? Is it expensive or worth the hassle? I'm half thinking of just getting another and keeping what I have for parts.

Mod wheels are universally easy to fix. It's just a potentiometer with a wheel mounted on it. Novation is still in business so replacement parts should be easy to get. You'd be scrapping a synth for, at most, 20$ in parts and 2 hours of labor. Labor which, if you can't do yourself, you need to reevaluate your life and priorities.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Novation is actually pretty good about parts too, I've had extras thrown in with orders from them.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

sliderule posted:

I can't get over how cool Karplus Strong string synthesis is.

Now the Patchblock does a great Shamisen impression.

e: Oh jesus that screenshot. Goddamnit retina.

That's comb filter fuckery, isn't it?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Sizone posted:

Mod wheels are universally easy to fix. It's just a potentiometer with a wheel mounted on it. Novation is still in business so replacement parts should be easy to get. You'd be scrapping a synth for, at most, 20$ in parts and 2 hours of labor. Labor which, if you can't do yourself, you need to reevaluate your life and priorities.

Last time I tried, I couldn't get the drat thing open with all the screws out. And it's an encoder not a pot but same idea. Guess I'll have to call Focusrite and see about the part.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

wayfinder posted:

That's comb filter fuckery, isn't it?

It's similar to it, but it produces this result:

https://soundcloud.com/poindexter-frink/shamisen-arpeggio

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Would anyone like a cheap TB-3? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

haha why are you selling? I still love mine. so much fun to play