Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It's most likely just a problem with the game's cache getting messed up in a way where the game thinks some animation/other asset is loaded into memory, when it actually isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

A lot of people mix up Philipa and Sile.

Wow, I'm probably more invensted in the Witcher saga than the average gamer and totally got that wrong.
Not a good sign for the plot of TW2

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Probably because you barely encounter Philippa on Roche's path.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's possible that starting armour will be upgradeable:

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/608577339274964994

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I'm kind of pissed that they (minor Novigrad spoiler) killed off Kalkstein before you could meet him. At least he apparently went out swinging but I was looking forward to seeing that dude again almost as much as Thaler. And Leuvarden just left a note on a noticeboard saying he wasn't in this game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is this Gwent DLC pack just something to change the looks of a couple of cards? Sort of disappointing if so.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Hey, Comte! If you're still in the thread, I spotted one of your whales!

It froze in midair so I got a really good look at it!

It also made the whole ocean freeze, no waves at all, like gliding around on glass. Was pretty cool.

I just put them there, any suspension of the laws of physics is on someone else.

Pigs quest DLC coming out this week is mine, hope you guys like it.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Gwent is just alternate art. While I prefer the "pose" cards a little more, I gotta say Borch and his babes are way better than (generic) dragon wreaking havoc.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Triss card is pretty cool too. Looking at that card design, I've always wondered how she didn't end up with some kind of fire-phobia PTSD after Sodden Hill..

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

alex314 posted:

It's possible that starting armour will be upgradeable:

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/608577339274964994
Finally! A reason to hold on to the starting gear, even the swords, I got it all!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Pigs quest DLC coming out this week is mine, hope you guys like it.
I'm just about to crack into this now, so I'll let you know what I think of it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If they make the starting gear upgradeable I hope they put in crafting recipes for the baseline stuff because sometimes mistakes are made.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

If they make the starting gear upgradeable I hope they put in crafting recipes for the baseline stuff because sometimes mistakes are made.

I think that's pretty much required. I'd also like a way to pick armor look so I'd roll with full griffin gear, but looking like a sweet Redanian set. Blue stripes represent!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
My best whale-related moment was when I was sailing to the isle of mists, and while happily cruising along, a whale surfaced a few dozen meters in front of me and going in the same direction as me. That was a pretty awesome moment moving across the full spectrum from WTF! to Holy poo poo!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aurain posted:

I'm just about to crack into this now, so I'll let you know what I think of it.

I just finished it up, it was pretty funny and I'm glad the village idiot used the villager face that looks like Michael Cera. I think the journal entry once you've finished it is out of order, at least in English anyway.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Aurain posted:

I think the journal entry once you've finished it is out of order, at least in English anyway.

It is, should be fixed soon.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Are there any books that give insight into the beliefs of the Eternal Fire and the Witch Hunters? Magic seems so useful it seems insane for any civilization to want to wipe it out.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Man, that Black Pearl quest :qq:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah that quest did not go at all how I expected. :smith:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just learned about the polish TV show. Is it actually any good, or more like Hercules? "The legendary journeys of Geralt of Rivia"?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Burns posted:

- Trophies. There needs to be a royal huntsman type of character you can turn your trophies in because they just pile up uselessly in my inventory and their bonuses are basically insignificant.
Geralt should be able to buy a home so that he can stick those trophies on a wall. I know this kind of goes against the image of the vagrant witcher, but it would be cool.

Burns posted:

- Too many bloody mutagens. It would be better if Mutagens were more significant permanent choices, just as they were in the other 2 games.
Agreed. Mutations shouldn't be something you can just reverse at will.

Burns posted:

- Too many weapon rewards. No weapon feels special or important and most are really samey. It would have been nice to see some weapons that have unique qualities, such as , for example, a sword thats really good against a certain type of monster, etc., I also don't understand why many witcher contract monsters drop silver swords (were they hanging onto them just in case?).
- Too many seemingly pointless armors in the game. Most of the stuff feels like filler.
Agreed. In fact, I don't think there should be any weapon rewards at all. Geralts DPS should increase entirely through skill points and runestones. Geralt should just use the starting swords and armor (the starting armor looks awesome).

Now my points.
- I don't like how potions are handled. To resupply your potions, you should keep collecting herbs as well as strong alcohol. To balance this, potions and oils should be more powerful. Once I upgraded Quen I didn't bother with Swallow because the latter is so weak.
-All monsters of a certain type should be restricted to a certain level of power. I encountered at one point in the game a bunch of level 28 drowners. Drowners are supposed to be weak creatures that young witchers cut their teeth on and experienced ones eat for breakfast. This reminds me of World of Warcraft where you encounter level 60 murlocs in Northrend. You don't feel like you're becoming someone powerful as you level if the enemies you fight look the same.
-Music is badly handled. There are many dramatic moments in cutscenes where the music is the generic background music. If a scary monster comes looming up behind Geralt I expect sinister music to start playing. The Witcher 3 will not win awards for sound mixing, that's for sure.
-The guards on the street are level 40 (you will learn this if you misbehave in front of them). Why doesn't Geralt just hire these supermen to fight the Wild Hunt?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 11, 2015

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Now my points.
- I don't like how potions are handled. To resupply your potions, you should keep collecting herbs as well as strong alcohol. To balance this, potions and oils should be more powerful. Once I upgraded Quen I didn't bother with Swallow because the latter is so weak.
Holy gently caress, no! If anything that the Witcher doesnt need is more busy work

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Slashrat posted:

My best whale-related moment was when I was sailing to the isle of mists, and while happily cruising along, a whale surfaced a few dozen meters in front of me and going in the same direction as me. That was a pretty awesome moment moving across the full spectrum from WTF! to Holy poo poo!

My best whale-related moment is when you go meet that druid who's waited years to see the white whale and it appears the moment he has his back turned.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Azazell0 posted:

Just learned about the polish TV show. Is it actually any good, or more like Hercules? "The legendary journeys of Geralt of Rivia"?
I'm told it's poo poo.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Azazell0 posted:

Uh, Hercules is *GREAT* classic camp. The witcher tv series isn't even the slightest bit enjoyable.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Azazell0 posted:

It's better than Hercules and has actually good actors. The casting was also pretty good. However they had small budget and it shows in the production values so the events didn't get the presentation they deserved and there are some really janky moments. Also lol at the monster make-up. If you must watch it then go for the series and not the theatrical movie, overall the whole thing doesn't come close to the quality of the games.

Still the series is much closer in its look to Witcher 3 than to the previous games:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Uh, Hercules is *GREAT* classic camp. The witcher tv series isn't even the slightest bit enjoyable.

Maybe I phrased myself badly, I meant if the Witcher TV show was more like a "serious" drama or more like a campy one like Hercules. (I mean, who doesn't enjoy Hercules as a comedy?)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm told it's poo poo.

That's truth, it's poo poo, but it kinda warps into "so bad it's good" territory.

e: screenshot from the first episode, that happens during Geralt's childhood:

Witcher's code came a long way..

alex314 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 11, 2015

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Baron Bifford posted:

The Witcher 3 will not win awards for sound mixing, that's for sure.

Of all the comments and criticisms, this is the funniest one. :laugh:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I watched it on youtube in one go, TV series is great lots of tie-ins with Witcher 3.
Dandellion is very different though :) Also Ciris backstory is uh, I was very confused when they present Emhyr as the father in W3, wasn't that the cursed hedgehog guy or did he really move up in the world?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

I watched it on youtube in one go, TV series is great lots of tie-ins with Witcher 3.
Dandellion is very different though :) Also Ciris backstory is uh, I was very confused when they present Emhyr as the father in W3, wasn't that the cursed hedgehog guy or did he really move up in the world?

They're the same person

edit: what happens is, Emhyr was always the prince of Nilfgaard but some mage cursed him and cast him out, he spent time wandering, ended up in Cintra, married Ciri's mom, was cured by Geralt, then Vilgefortz comes along and presents the whole "bang your daughter for a super baby" plan. He accidentally kills his wife when Vilgefortz moves his ship to his hideout during an argument because she'd seen his plan and had made sure Ciri wasn't on board. Then he goes back to Nilfgaard and becomes Emperor.

If I'm misremembering anything, someone can point it out.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 11, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only time I've had a grievance with any of TW3's sound design is the weird voice direction in the quest in the forest in Skellige with Yen and the mask where Geralt is all "I am speaking in my natural tone" and then he's all "I AM SPEAKING IN MY ANGRY TONE OUT OF NOWHERE" and it reverts to natural when you're walking around with the mask.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I love the little random white-knight quests in the streets of Novigrad where some dude(s) harass women in a couple of typical RPG gaming moments but when you step in it ends with you either being insulted for not minding your own business or you being straight up wrong about doing so (the roleplaying between a whore and her client).

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Palpek posted:

I love the little random white-knight quests in the streets of Novigrad where some dude(s) harass women in a couple of typical RPG gaming moments but when you step in it ends with you either being insulted for not minding your own business or you being straight up wrong about doing so (the roleplaying between a whore and her client).

"Do you maybe expect me to open my legs for you?"

Well, now that you mention it...

E: vvvvvvvvvvvvv "alright I'm just gonna ride past these wild dog, don't feel like killing a bunch of level 1 enemies"
LA LA LEE LEY LA LA LEY

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 11, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

mcbexx posted:

Of all the comments and criticisms, this is the funniest one. :laugh:
Why? It's totally true. There were occasions when character dialogue was drowned out by ambient sounds and music.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

They're the same person

edit: what happens is, Emhyr was always the prince of Nilfgaard but some mage cursed him and cast him out, he spent time wandering, ended up in Cintra, married Ciri's mom, was cured by Geralt, then Vilgefortz comes along and presents the whole "bang your daughter for a super baby" plan. He accidentally kills his wife when Vilgefortz moves his ship to his hideout during an argument because she'd seen his plan and had made sure Ciri wasn't on board. Then he goes back to Nilfgaard and becomes Emperor.

Mind blown. His first appeance is my favorite scene in the TV series
youtu.be/srFd0mNJ2o4?t=7m15s

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Speaking of the Emperor, I'm annoyed that the game only gives you one opportunity to present Ciri to him. I thought to put if off for a while but then found out that I couldn't report my success even if I went back to Vizima and danced on the Emperor's desk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lareine posted:

If she's there, I didn't see her and I didn't see her on the prisoner list unless she was going by Zelona. I don't know if she's alive or not, considering I don't remember what I did in this imported W2 save.

Edit: I've gone back and did the whole quest again. I still cannot find her. There is only one female prisoner in there besides Margarita and it's not her. I'm guessing I really did kill her at the end of W2. Doesn't explain the profile though. The profile says I totally did find her and gave her a mercy killing.

The other female prisoner besides Margarita is totally Sile and the game even tells you that it is. She is the one you gave a mercy killing to. Not sure how you didn't notice this.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

The other female prisoner besides Margarita is totally Sile and the game even tells you that it is. She is the one you gave a mercy killing to. Not sure how you didn't notice this.

Easy, I didn't notice anyone else there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Should only happen if she died in the last game because you have no choice but to interact with her if she didn't. The game doesn't give you the option not to.