Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Baron Bifford posted:

Why? It's totally true. There were occasions when character dialogue was drowned out by ambient sounds and music.

I completely agree. The sound levels are inconsistent between scenes and the story cards while loading are so quiet I can barely hear them. Voices in general seem to be drowned out more often than not. The sound itself is good but the mix leaves something to be desired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

The other female prisoner besides Margarita is totally Sile and the game even tells you that it is. She is the one you gave a mercy killing to. Not sure how you didn't notice this.

Sile doesn't appear if you let her die in the previous game, for obvious reasons. She didn't in Lareine's game but the journal acted as if she did. He couldn't remember offhand if Sile survived in his Witcher 2 save or not, so he was wondering if Sile was hidden out of the way somewhere or if the journal entry was just bugged. hth.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gwent should be its own multiplayer game. It is just so dang fun and I've run out of opponents to play against in the singleplayer :(

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Multiplayer would just be dominated by Nilfs and the odd Northie trying to keep it real.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Sile doesn't appear if you let her die in the previous game, for obvious reasons. She didn't in Lareine's game but the journal acted as if she did. He couldn't remember offhand if Sile survived in his Witcher 2 save or not, so he was wondering if Sile was hidden out of the way somewhere or if the journal entry was just bugged. hth.

Chose her to live first play, she was there.
Chose her to die second play, she wasn't, got the journal entry regardless. Pretty sure it's just bugged.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just hope the expansions expand Gwent too. It would be sweet to get more counter cards or people cards with more complex abilities.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dude said there was a second person there. That has to be Sile because everyone else dies.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Palpek posted:

I love the little random white-knight quests in the streets of Novigrad where some dude(s) harass women in a couple of typical RPG gaming moments but when you step in it ends with you either being insulted for not minding your own business or you being straight up wrong about doing so (the roleplaying between a whore and her client).

Pity you can't point out to the elf that she would've been lynched if you hadn't intervened tbh. Characters getting pissy about you rescuing them seems rather out of place when that sort of thing is literally what happens to people getting harassed elsewhere.

The whore bit was funny. The elf thing was just way too on the nose and poorly done for my tastes.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Dude said there was a second person there. That has to be Sile because everyone else dies.

You're wrong. There are a couple of generic prisoners in the dungeon. One of them is a woman. This unnamed NPC is the second person Lareine was referring to.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Multiplayer would just be dominated by Nilfs and the odd Northie trying to keep it real.

It's funny because it would be pretty easy to balance. Give the squirrels and monsters spies and poof, it's balanced. Tight Bond and the one where it pulls like-name cards out of your deck are almost the same in power level.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're wrong. There are a couple of generic prisoners in the dungeon. One of them is a woman. This unnamed NPC is the second person Lareine was referring to.

Well, alright then

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Arglebargle III posted:

It's funny because it would be pretty easy to balance. Give the squirrels and monsters spies and poof, it's balanced. Tight Bond and the one where it pulls like-name cards out of your deck are almost the same in power level.

Spies only matter if the other dude uses spies. So if you were playing against a Nilf or Northern deck just add in more decoys (or make more decoys available), no need to add spies (but there is that one neutral Hero card spy I can never find anywhere....)

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??
Gwent is ok as an in-game distraction but it really wouldn't fare well if it had to stand alone.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man I loved the Dandelion murder/mystery quest line. And it was cool that it culminated in a higher vampire fight. Is this the quest that I kept seeing referenced a few times in this thread where some of you were like "No, that guy you killed wasn't actually the murderer, it was the other guy!"? Cause if it was, I dunno it seemed pretty obvious to me that the coroner couldn't be trusted. Not to mention the clues that showed he just kind of vanished as he escaped (unless he STILL wasn't the murderer). I try to not get into fights if I can help it, and I'm glad I did cause I was able to mind control the one dude who was just a sick bastard who wanted to burn and hurt that one whore in the brothel into not doing anything.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Macaluso posted:

Man I loved the Dandelion murder/mystery quest line. And it was cool that it culminated in a higher vampire fight. Is this the quest that I kept seeing referenced a few times in this thread where some of you were like "No, that guy you killed wasn't actually the murderer, it was the other guy!"? Cause if it was, I dunno it seemed pretty obvious to me that the coroner couldn't be trusted. Not to mention the clues that showed he just kind of vanished as he escaped (unless he STILL wasn't the murderer). I try to not get into fights if I can help it, and I'm glad I did cause I was able to mind control the one dude who was just a sick bastard who wanted to burn and hurt that one whore in the brothel into not doing anything.

I still murdered the church dude cause gently caress that guy

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I still murdered the church dude cause gently caress that guy

but he paid in advance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I was too hot headed and killed him too soon.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mysteries in video games are always hard to balance. Some people will diligently go around and do every optional thing related to that quest and then complain it's too easy, some people will wander through it following quest markers and skipping dialog with no idea what they're doing and get mad and say it's too hard if it requires thought.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

OH yeah and as I was running all over the place for that quest, I accidentally stumbled into the "haunted house" from a while ago. So I went inside to see if anything had changed. And sure enough the girl and the godling were now like mother and daughter and having a nice little life in their home :3:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Aurain posted:

Chose her to live first play, she was there.
Chose her to die second play, she wasn't, got the journal entry regardless. Pretty sure it's just bugged.

I had a similar issue once with a Witcher 1 > Witcher 2 import. I chose the neutral path, meaning Sigfried and that elf dude are both neutral to you in your end-came encounters. I accidentally tapped Sigfried during a fight he was nearby for, causing him to go hostile and forcing me to kill him. I didn't want to kill Sigfried, so I reloaded and played the fight out a little more carefully, but apparently the act of killing him once ticked a status box or something in the save states because on my way to Loc Muinne in the Witcher 2 I met some Flaming Rose rear end in a top hat who demanded to duel me in revenge for Sigfried's death.

Arglebargle III posted:

Mysteries in video games are always hard to balance. Some people will diligently go around and do every optional thing related to that quest and then complain it's too easy, some people will wander through it following quest markers and skipping dialog with no idea what they're doing and get mad and say it's too hard if it requires thought.

I really like how the Witcher series handles mysteries, in that characters will lie to you or manipulate you to serve their interests in ways that would make sense, and they do so without adopting some cartoon villain voice or doing their best Evil Vizier impression. Instead, the game leaves obvious gaps in the stories of lying characters (what kind of lazy poo poo vampire tries to use the same human as a cover for like a century) and it's up to the player to pick up on them. The information isn't particularly hard to pick up on if you're paying attention, but the game won't rub your face in it if you don't bother.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 11, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm really amused that after 120 hours in this game, when I find a forktail nest and my quest log updates, I don't even have to check it to know that now I have to find myself a goat "and hide ye in yon shrubbery with all good haste"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm really amused that after 120 hours in this game, when I find a forktail nest and my quest log updates, I don't even have to check it to know that now I have to find myself a goat "and hide ye in yon shrubbery with all good haste"

Ha! You're wrong.

It's a sheep

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Some of the gear I have recipes for have level requirements of level 42. I thought 35 was the max?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
There is no hard cap on levels, but you'll probably cap out at 35 without more quests. The blacksmith in Kaer Trolde was selling plans for a level 45(!) sword for me the other day, so I'm not sure what their plans are for the expansions.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Emron posted:

Some of the gear I have recipes for have level requirements of level 42. I thought 35 was the max?

70 is max level, you'll end the game with 35 or so, yet there are schematics even for level 46. Probably NG+ mode is coming eventually, normally those levels are unreachable without silly amounts of grinding.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm having more fun using crafted and found gear right now than Witcher gear. It makes finding drops and merchants actually interesting than completely pointless. Plus I get to see Geralt wear different things every hour or so instead of

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Comte! Feedback!

Quest was pretty good--though I was waiting for Geralt to bitch about Portals.
The "Conversation" with the herbalist was well done, and that dumbass villager was hilarious.
Felt like it was missing something though. Just a look into the big cauldron/chalice, "oh, gold, right" and then kill some nekkers and then done--I kept waiting for another narrative shoe to drop and it didn't. Which isn't to say that it had to, but everything else in the game has some sort of twist to it. Though I guess maybe this one was frontloaded with the nature of the pigs? In any case it was like the Peller's Princess quest but padded out a bit more.

All told, not a bad miniquest. Nice work!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The portal is actually a very very last minute addition, it's a hack to cover up an occlusion bug we couldn't fix without patching a 700mb file. :P

I also noticed a few other bugs that have been fixed that made it in somehow, did you guys have a bunch of arrows and spears floating in mid-air in the room before the temple?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The portal is actually a very very last minute addition, it's a hack to cover up an occlusion bug we couldn't fix without patching a 700mb file. :P

I also noticed a few other bugs that have been fixed that made it in somehow, did you guys have a bunch of arrows and spears floating in mid-air in the room before the temple?

Actually, yeah. I just assumed it was from the bandits that were trying to break in when you found the place. Looked like a small battlefield...which, now that I think about it, couldn't have happened due to what happened to the people.

I'd just write it off as "Velen-chic" and call it a day. It's not like you can't go three feet anywhere there and not run into bodies, broken swords, or spears stuck in the ground.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Oh great, I thought the fight against Caranthir was going pretty well, until I noticed that one corner of the "arena" has this super loud and annoying cacophonic sound if I go too near it. This area also totally kills my FPS, which returns to normal if I get out of it. For some reason he started to stay in that area only and I died thanks to the lovely FPS. :argh:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

OAquinas posted:

Actually, yeah. I just assumed it was from the bandits that were trying to break in when you found the place. Looked like a small battlefield...which, now that I think about it, couldn't have happened due to what happened to the people.

I'd just write it off as "Velen-chic" and call it a day. It's not like you can't go three feet anywhere there and not run into bodies, broken swords, or spears stuck in the ground.

There's actually a dead bear under all those arrows, but his data wasn't included in the initial DLC download, he should be showing up after the next patch. The villagers killed the bear to get into the temple, but Yontek never mentions it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat, the fight against Imerith has been kind of annoying. Stop teleporting you gently caress!

Made the ending of it even more satisfying, though.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
I bet the game after 160 hours without even touching the card game at all. Doing some things I normally wouldn't do I liked the "neutral/bad" ending I got but now I feel insanely compelled to play again just to have the story end more positively. The fact I even care about that shows how much I like the witcher 2/how much 3 owns/how good this game just is. Now I just nee to have patience so I don't burn out on witcher 3 but the first expansion seems so far away.

I'm also hoping one of the little DLCs will be some difficulty adjustments to make it brutal.
I liked the hardest difficulty as I was still randomly dying here and there in fights while still progressing at a good rate, but I know that next step can be made in a mod/dlc somewhere.

I want to start again, goddammit.

Nutmeg fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 11, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like I have a soft spot for trolls.

Then again that was the troll cave and if a bunch of humans are going to come in and be rude and throw rocks then the troll is perfectly within his rights to castle doctrine the mofos.

I don't care if the villager calls me a coward, I've got an archgriffin head hanging from my horse and his daughter just swooned over Geralt the Giant Slayer. :colbert:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Is anybody having problems getting W3 to run with DS4 for the PS4 controller? The game basically locks up on me whenever I use it and I really really don't want to have to buy a X360 controller to play this game on my couch and I don't like playing it on KBM. If anyone has any advice or at least knows if it's an issue it would be greatly appreciated.

e: If it's not DS4 doing it then I dunno why the game keeps locking up like this.

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 11, 2015

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!
So remember that lady in the first area you gave a dose of Swallow to?

I went back after I guess an in-game week or so, and she was gone. Asked the herbalist about it, and she said that the woman seemed to be getting better, but a Nilfgaardian soldier came along and took her away without an explanation.

Much later, near the nilf camp in the south-east of Velen, a soldier came running up to me and asked if I was the one who had healed her. He explained that he was the one she had been going to meet in the forest - for obvious reasons her family wouldn't be too keen on her being involved with a nilf. When he heard she was recovering, he went and took her away.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the Swallow gave her severe brain damage, so now the guy's got to try to find a mage as a last-ditch effort to help her.

really didn't expect all that from what seemed like a throwaway introductory fetch quest.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Bear armor looks comfy as gently caress.
I just wish it had the tubby fatso griffin skillset, because my Geralt is all Igni every day
There is a mod to grant this very wish which switches the stats, level requirements and armour class of the Griffin and Bear sets. There's also an additional optional file to swap the stats for the Bear and Cat sets instead. It's pretty cool.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I finally found Ciri, and had a long talk with her in the hut the dwarves were in before heading back to Kaer Morhen with her. I had her go step by step with the story instead of just going "I know the story, let's go". And at one point she mentions going to a world where the wild hunt never found them in (eventually she comes back here and they find her immediately). The way she describes it... am I supposed to be reading that, that that's our world? Or like a modern/futuristic world similar to ours? She says "men had metal in their heads, they fought at a distance with things similar to megascopes, and they fought with giant flying ships". I feel like they were trying to hint at a world like ours but maybe I'm just reading what I want to read out of that cause I'm totally a sucker for that kind of alternate dimension stuff.

Also not gonna lie, for all I say about Geralt not being all that interesting of a character it was a legit emotional scene when Ciri woke up as he was hugging her lifeless body

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Rexicon1 posted:

Is anybody having problems getting W3 to run with DS4 for the PS4 controller? The game basically locks up on me whenever I use it and I really really don't want to have to buy a X360 controller to play this game on my couch and I don't like playing it on KBM. If anyone has any advice or at least knows if it's an issue it would be greatly appreciated.

e: If it's not DS4 doing it then I dunno why the game keeps locking up like this.

Are you using a program to map it to a 360 driver? I use DS4Windows with the "hide controller" setting and it works fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Macaluso posted:

So I'm finally found Ciri, and had a long talk with her in the hut the dwarves were in before heading back to Kaer Morhen with her. I had her go step by step with the story instead of just going "I know the story, let's go". And at one point she mentions going to a world where the wild hunt never found them in (eventually she comes back here and they find her immediately). The way she describes it... am I supposed to be reading that, that that's our world? Or like a modern/futuristic world similar to ours? She says "men had metal in their heads, they fought at a distance with things similar to megascopes, and they fought with giant flying ships". I feel like they were trying to hint at a world like ours but maybe I'm just reading what I want to read out of that cause I'm totally a sucker for that kind of alternate dimension stuff.
My feeling was that it's a reference to the Cyberpunk RPG/world that CD Projekt are developing. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Ciri cameo in that when it rolls around.