Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Maleketh posted:

Gauntlet mode is designed for play after you've finished the story. High-level characters are practically a must.

I'm not sure I agree. If you can build up a big star, you can certainly beat the early levels without being overly high level (maybe as low as 40ish, though to be fair I did have high level items on those characters). Just rush to the fever portals to gain levels and spend as little time anywhere else. It's a bit of a grind, but nowhere near the grind of going through the story mode if you aren't interested in doing it. You also get a ton of growth points in gauntlet compared to story.

edit: of course, assuming you've unlocked the characters you care about since I'm fairly certain that story mode is the only way to unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I'm not sure I agree. If you can build up a big star, you can certainly beat the early levels without being overly high level (maybe as low as 40ish, though to be fair I did have high level items on those characters). Just rush to the fever portals to gain levels and spend as little time anywhere else. It's a bit of a grind, but nowhere near the grind of going through the story mode if you aren't interested in doing it. You also get a ton of growth points in gauntlet compared to story.

edit: of course, assuming you've unlocked the characters you care about since I'm fairly certain that story mode is the only way to unlock.

A lot of the top tier characters are only unlocked after completing every single story mode mission (Orochi/X specifically). I found for Gauntlet Mode I didn't just need a high level characters, but characters with top tier move sets that do massive AEO attacks. I suppose you could find 5 decent characters for your team without using any of the boss characters, but where is the fun in that? :black101:

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
In Bladestorm Nightmare, do they actually give names to the two Kings of <Country>?

Because one of the things that stuck in my mind about the original was that they were actually introduced as 'King of England, the King of England' and the same for the French King.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Rutibex posted:

A lot of the top tier characters are only unlocked after completing every single story mode mission (Orochi/X specifically). I found for Gauntlet Mode I didn't just need a high level characters, but characters with top tier move sets that do massive AEO attacks. I suppose you could find 5 decent characters for your team without using any of the boss characters, but where is the fun in that? :black101:

I thought you got Orochi X after end of the "first" story line arc, as opposed to the other 4 chapters added in the expansion?

Either way, there's certainly characters that can do very well on Gauntlet that you get relatively early. I'm mainly using Ryu and Xahou Ba right now, and I know at least Ryu is quite early. I definitely agree you should play through at least until Orochi X though so you have a lot of choices for Gaunlet. I'm not a big fan of any of the new characters, so if I had it to do over I may not finish the new chapters. Story mode really drags on to me at the end so I can see why someone might not want to complete it.

You reminded me that I haven't played as Orochi X yet in Ultimate. I should work on him next.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I thought you got Orochi X after end of the "first" story line arc, as opposed to the other 4 chapters added in the expansion?

Either way, there's certainly characters that can do very well on Gauntlet that you get relatively early. I'm mainly using Ryu and Xahou Ba right now, and I know at least Ryu is quite early. I definitely agree you should play through at least until Orochi X though so you have a lot of choices for Gaunlet. I'm not a big fan of any of the new characters, so if I had it to do over I may not finish the new chapters. Story mode really drags on to me at the end so I can see why someone might not want to complete it.

You reminded me that I haven't played as Orochi X yet in Ultimate. I should work on him next.

Yeah, you have to unlock every character that can be unlocked in the first 4 chapters, then you can do the "proper" ending and the boss characters get unlocked. It is a pain in the rear end to unlock all of those characters though, it's not just the main missions but most of the side missions too (not to mention getting the reputations high enough for some of them!). Its totally worth it though, you get both Orochi and Orochi X, who are both God-Tier and count as separate characters (so you can have both on your gauntlet mode team :v:)

I actually found Ryu to be kind of middling, the real powerhouse of the early game is Cai Wenji, all of her attacks are massive AOEs, and she is especially deadly on a horse. My personal favorite is Lu Bu, he is fast and can clear a crowd quickly, but most importantly he has a unblockable grab move that ends in massive damage and a huge explosion, making him great for crowds and officers.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
I've never used any female character (my wife plays the females, I play the guys) and she doesn't like her. I'll have her give Cai another shot though - pretty sure she hasn't tried her since we got Ultimate and replayed the game. I use Lu Bu a lot and the only thing I don't like about him is that his 4 combo for some reason can't hit anything...not that it matters, when his 6 combo hits 360. I like Ryu because his Power-Power-Power attack is quick, has great range, and procs. And his juggle slam move is great for clearing. Plus...he's Ryu.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Wei Yan's air R1 is bonkers for Gauntlet mode, doing great damage and moving you forward a long way (a VERY long way if you're going downhill). You can traverse the map straight through dense packs of enemies with it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Friend posted:

Wei Yan's air R1 is bonkers for Gauntlet mode, doing great damage and moving you forward a long way (a VERY long way if you're going downhill). You can traverse the map straight through dense packs of enemies with it.

I usually don't end up using anyone's R1 attacks, my go to combo on most weapons is Brilliance + TriElement + WindSlay and using the R1 attacks drains musou bar (that has to be full for Brilliance to function). Not that I won't do an R1 or a Musau it in a tight spot, but I usually switch out characters right after.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tae posted:

My main problem with Bladestorm is that it is very braindead easy even compared to Dynasty Warriors. And worse, I don't feel like I'm getting satisfying feedback because most of them it's automated attacks, then moving on, kinda hit and kill the next enemy, etc.

Cavalry charges are kind of satisfying, but yeah, otherwise I agree.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I have absolutely no interest in Dragon Quest Heroes but I'm going to buy it and all the DLC just so there's a slim possibility they'll make a Final Fantasy Warriors in the future.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there any chance the PS4 version of Bladestorm will get a price drop or go on sale anytime in the near future?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Can't speak for the Nightmare portion since I haven't played that

Nightmare mode is pretty interesting - you have longer missions with no timer where you basically have a series of DW-style objectives to work through. So first you'll have to make it to a certain village to save a dude, then the forces of red will suddenly swamp half the map and you need to get to a chokepoint to hold them off, and then lead a charge into a specific chain of villages, etc.

The main draw is that the scale is bigger, everyone has 30-50 unit squads, and you can lead fantasy monsters in the process. There's only 9 stages or so and they're staggered enough in difficulty you can do them as you go through the main game. They'll give you a ton of money and exp I guess but it's not like Station won't do that already.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Samurai Warriors 4: Empires announced

NO MARRIAGE NO SALE

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Marriages are confirmed, and apparently there will be plenty of female generics in as well to add to the scores of male generics.

No new characters, however.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Did they confirm marriage? I don't see anything about it on siliconera

having fanfic babies with historical figures is basically why I like Empires

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's in the Siliconera article.

Square-Enix is going all out on Dragon Quest Heroes. Slime Collector's Edition announced along with new trailer. The "Day One" edition seems to be the default release, yet still comes with the Slime pack. Square's also giving away the DQ3 Hero costume as a pre-order bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veul9Q8R9fw

And continuing with KT games, Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence has pre-order bonuses and new screenshots. Check out this new trailer too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L26npTxJbAs

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

goopid's bow

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can you play as the little flying squid tentacle dude

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

epitasis posted:

goopid's bow

Splat o' Nine Tails
Goomerang
Gooreat Sword

It warms my heart to see that the translation puns are still in force. :allears:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bladestorm is fun, but I did a single Nightmare mission and now I have more money than I know what to do with and maxed out the Sword stats despite having done only two missions in the main story. Oops.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

That'll happen. XP mainly comes from getting combos - every multiple of 50 gives you a huge boost, so Nightmare's squad sizes actually mean it's hugely easier to level up. The PS4 version had the ability to station your mercenaries and that broke the gold curve too.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
It seems like they were going for something neat with units hard countering other units and poo poo, but in the end if you just pick any one unit in the game and sink all your SP into it you will so far outlevel everything else on the battlefield that you can steamroll an entire map in one day. A little disappointing, but I'm still squeezing some fun out of it and trying to unlock guns.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

SW4 Empires preview.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Any details on when/if it's coming to us poor gaijins?

In my experience playing SW2 Empires I find the Japan map to be uninteresting strategically (in comparison to the China map). It's pretty trivial to set up a single advancing front of two super armies and never worry about a front unexpectedly opening up. Of course with a lot of single-player strategy games it's not hard to hit a point where your critical mass makes victory a foregone conclusion, but in SW2 Empires its' not even an illusion of meaningful opposition.

But that's just me :spergin:, I'll definitely be picking this up if it comes west.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Looks like it's taking char-gen from DW8E, so maybe we can import our creations?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Belzac posted:

I have absolutely no interest in Dragon Quest Heroes but I'm going to buy it and all the DLC just so there's a slim possibility they'll make a Final Fantasy Warriors in the future.

Well Dynasty Warriors started out as a one-on-one fighting game, and Dissidia is a thing, soooo......

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I imagine we'll get SW4 Empires because there's no bullshit surrounding it like Nintendo's hand in SW3.

Lotish posted:

Looks like it's taking char-gen from DW8E, so maybe we can import our creations?

Gematsu was dumb and failed to mention this but that literally is just a screenshot from DW8E, like on the Famitsu article they just say "yo this is a screenshot from DW8E but it's here to give you an idea of what we're talking about".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well gently caress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hurdle Warriors is getting a 3DS version.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also you get to play as the KING OF RED LIONS

And Tetra, I guess. if you want to

You can transfer those over to the WiiU version if you have both, or something like that.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
This news for real?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

This news for real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2L8Cfafrvc

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Finally they release the only relevant DLC for DW8E on Playstation. They sure took their sweet-rear end time doing it.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Is that... mid-battle character switching? With more than two characters? :stare: Just give me this on the Wii U version and I'll be fine.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Maleketh posted:

Is that... mid-battle character switching? With more than two characters? :stare: Just give me this on the Wii U version and I'll be fine.

Go play Samurai Warriors Chronicles!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Go play Samurai Warriors Chronicles!

Gonna buy 3 as soon as it's out here.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
we're going from fighting with boats to being a boat

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

quakster posted:

Finally they release the only relevant DLC for DW8E on Playstation. They sure took their sweet-rear end time doing it.

which is what

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Three more scenarios with a new battlefield and an event battle for each of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Brony Hunter posted:

Marriages are confirmed, and apparently there will be plenty of female generics in as well to add to the scores of male generics.

No new characters, however.
Are these new female generics, or the same ones already in SW4? Because that game had a surprising number of generic female officers (several of whom sounded like badasses from their chronicle bios, and I hope are promoted to full characters in the future).

Lotish posted:

Well gently caress
SW4 had basically the same character creation system as 7E/8E, for what it's worth.