Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

playing through doom 3 again has been pretty fun. i never had an issue with the flashlight thing in the first place, but the bfg edition changes it to let you just turn on a flashlight whenever while using guns, so that's neat. pretty nice atmosphere in general and the pdas really add a nice touch. i even forgot how nice some of the guns felt, shotgun being the one exception that jumps to mind given how it's sketchy at best. plasma gun has a nice feel of 'hosing' to it like you're painting an enemy to death, and the chaingun feels like a sturdier version of that. machinegun also does a lot of work. too bad the rocket launcher is sorta boring and i've literally only ever used grenades once. anyways, it's an alright game and always has been an alright game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The level sizes in Undying are also very unfortunate. They chopped up the levels into annoyingly small chunks to fit on consoles of the time, but the console port never happened.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I hope you didn't eat too much for dinner, and left some room for Wang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PfKun0R70

quote:

Shadow Warrior 2 is the stunning evolution of Flying Wild Hog’s offbeat first-person shooter following the further misadventures of former corporate shogun Lo Wang. Now surviving as a reclusive mercenary on the edge of a corrupted world, the formidable warrior must again wield a devastating combination of guns, blades, magic and wit to strike down the demonic legions overwhelming the world. Battle alongside allies online in four-player co-op or go it alone in spectacular procedurally-generated landscapes to complete daring missions and collect powerful new weapons, armor, and arcane relics of legend.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

quote:

Battle alongside allies online in four-player co-op or go it alone in spectacular procedurally-generated landscapes to complete daring missions and collect powerful new weapons, armor, and arcane relics of legend.

Goddamn it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really should get around to playing the rest of Shadow Warrior.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keiya posted:

I can't get into Quake 1, because the environments are kind of samey... just a lot of brown really. The gameplay feels good but the environments drive me away :(

(Off-topic: hey arcsig, is there a puyo thread?)

Quake is weird. Everything about it on paper sounds like it should look horrible. Its a brown and black mess. Its low resolution, low polygon, and everything's like hardcore gothic.

But something about it I just find insanely charming, compared to other games of its era. It just loving works.

Probably mostly nostalgia?

quote:

Battle alongside allies online in four-player co-op or go it alone in spectacular procedurally-generated landscapes to complete daring missions and collect powerful new weapons, armor, and arcane relics of legend.

WHAT. :retrogames: sold. sooooooold.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

:perfect:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

quote:

procedurally-generated landscapes

Haha yeah okay

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Zaphod42 posted:

Quake is weird. Everything about it on paper sounds like it should look horrible. Its a brown and black mess. Its low resolution, low polygon, and everything's like hardcore gothic.

I think the level design still holds up. It's still pretty abstract and makes better use of verticality than most FPSes that came after that era. There was still a sense of "holy crap look what we can do now!"

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
That they went out of their way to say "landscape" instead of just "procedurally-generated levels" is a little interesting, but either way I'm kind of glad that they're doing something different with Shadow Warrior 2. Shadow Warrior 2013 was a solid game that didn't do anything spectacular, and it would've been fine if they never made a sequel. So, having 4-player co-op and some sort of procedurally-generated action is a little more interesting than more of the same game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sir Lemming posted:

I think the level design still holds up. It's still pretty abstract and makes better use of verticality than most FPSes that came after that era. There was still a sense of "holy crap look what we can do now!"

Because its abstract it can do really fun things with level design, and because the graphics are low-fi they can get away with the abstract much more.

Modern games approach to realism holds them back too much.

I really want an FPS doom-like set in literal Hell where they aren't afraid to just get super loving surreal all the time. Who needs Euclidean space? I want all kinds of nonsense dimensions, infinitely huge hell-castles and gigantic lakes of lava and poo poo.

Alice: Madness Returns was a pretty simple third person shooter, but the levels were just gorgeous. All the time I'd stop and just stare at the level like god drat that's cool looking.

Why can't we get some more FPS like that? :smith:

Isn't that more interesting than any FPS level you've seen in modern games in forever?

Geight posted:

That they went out of their way to say "landscape" instead of just "procedurally-generated levels" is a little interesting, but either way I'm kind of glad that they're doing something different with Shadow Warrior 2. Shadow Warrior 2013 was a solid game that didn't do anything spectacular, and it would've been fine if they never made a sequel. So, having 4-player co-op and some sort of procedurally-generated action is a little more interesting than more of the same game.

Exactly. Shadow Warrior 2? Eh, cool, I guess. Shadow Warrior 2 with 4-player co-op and procedural levels? :raise: Now you have my attention.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 11, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Geight posted:

That they went out of their way to say "landscape" instead of just "procedurally-generated levels" is a little interesting, but either way I'm kind of glad that they're doing something different with Shadow Warrior 2. Shadow Warrior 2013 was a solid game that didn't do anything spectacular, and it would've been fine if they never made a sequel.

Just speculating wildly, but it sounds like a decent way of doing it: generate the landscape and then plunk down a selection of pre-designed set pieces that the player(s) have to travel between and approach from a slightly different angle every time. A lot easier to balance and control, but still allows for some variation.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Steam Store page is up, and has some more deets:

quote:

STORY
Five years have passed since Lo Wang shattered the alliance between his deceitful former boss and the ancient gods of the shadow realm. Despite noble intentions, Lo Wang’s efforts to annihilate the darkness corrupted the world, creating a strange and savage new order where humans and demons live side by side.

The once feared warrior now lives in the shifting wildlands outside the reach of his enemies and the neon glow of Zilla’s cybernetic metropolis, scratching out a meager existence as a hired sword for the local Yakuza clans. When a simple mission goes wrong, Lo Wang is drawn into a volatile conflict between a brilliant young scientist, a controversial cult leader, and a terrifying new drug known as Shade. The sharp-tongued hero must once again wield lethal blades, staggering firepower, and archaic magic to purge the world of evil.

FEATURES
Blades and Bullets: Lo Wang delivers his own brand full throttle brutality with an expanded array of over 70 lethal blades and explosive firearms to overcome the demonic opposition. Become a whirlwind of steel and blood with razor sharp katana, short swords, crescent blades, and hand claws or unleash a hellish symphony of ornate firearms to decimate your enemies.

Four Player Co-Op: Battle through the expansive campaign alone or team up as a four-player typhoon of destruction online in campaign co-op mode. Tackle challenging primary missions or thrilling side quests while maintaining your own ninja style with customizable armor, items, and valuable loot from your triumphs.

Procedural Environments: The breach between the human and demon realms created an interdimensional hernia resulting in constant shifts to the world of Shadow Warrior 2. Procedurally generated landscapes and paths bring new twists and turns to once familiar terrain and routine missions.

Brutal Damage System: Choose your weapon based on the situation at hand and then dismantle everything that stands in your path with an advanced gore system. Use precision blade strikes to separate limbs and heads or switch to heavy ordinance and blow a hole right through colossal beasts.

Custom Upgrade System: Upgrade weapons in your arsenal with up to three stones at once to improve performance or augment them with devastating elemental effects. Collect karma, amulets, and armor to enhance Lo Wang’s power and shift his death-dealing artistry into overdrive.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

The Kins posted:

Shut up and take my money. :homebrew:

Here's hoping the guns are completely kickass this time instead of unevenly kickass like in the first game.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sounds like only some of the parts will be procedurally generated.

Didn't a Soldier of Fortune game try something like that, and it sucked?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

SoF2 has a random mission generator, it's super awful.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In fairness, SoF2 will be fourteen years old by the time Shadow Warrior 2 comes out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zlocista posted:

Is that Mt. Erebus because jfc that's the ugliest level I think I've ever seen.

I bet it's from the Fifty Shades of Graytall mapping challenge.

The Kins posted:

Doesn't say "drat, those oni bastards gonna pay for cutting up my ride"; 0/10.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Honestly, the sof2 random level generator probably put together better maps than were in the actual sp portion of the game lol

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
70 weapons, procgen, character upgrades, old-school FPS is back, baby! PC Gamer Hell Yea!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Procedural generation has come a long way. Modern platforms are capable of streaming impressively detailed, generated worlds.

One of the more notable examples is No Man's Sky, there's an detailed behind the scenes video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-kifCYToAU

But also there's Voxel Farm which is middleware allowing for a ridiculous level of detail on a massive scale and is very friendly to procedural generation.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You're telling me I could be playing Burtal Doom, Aeons of Death and Slige at the same time while Jon St. John records crank calls in his worst Jackie Chan voice, AND it looks like a next-gen, console-res-friendly version of Magic Carpet? Sign me the gently caress up! Shadow Warrior!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

My issue with proceedurally generated levels and areas in first person shooters is that a generated level will never be as interesting or as fun to play as a handmade level.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
90% of No Man's Sky is going to be boring empty wilderness. I'm excited for it too but let's not kid ourselves. Procedural maps still have a long way to go before they're close enough to handmade maps to fill the same roles in a game.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 11, 2015

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The Kins posted:

The Steam Store page is up, and has some more deets:

There's not a single thing about this blurb that doesn't worry me.

70 weapons sounds great on paper but how in the hell are they all going to be balanced? Even a typical arsenal of seven/eight weapons needs to be carefully divided between the quadrilogy of damage, rate of fire, range, and accuracy. Each weapon needs to be distinctly different from each other. With 70 weapons there's gonna be so much overlap it's not even funny.
Procedurally generated environments...well, yeah, I notice they don't put in "levels" too, but procedurally generated anything isn't going to match any hand-picked from-scratch human-designed equivalent. The environments in the first Shadow Warrior were gorgeous, especially in the first few levels.
Also the upgrade system was like the weakest point of the previous Shadow Warrior and while even it handled it pretty well, the better thing to do would have been LESS emphasis on it rather than more

Well, maybe I'm being too harsh. I thought the last Shadow Warrior was going to be poo poo, played it, and loved it so much I made something new, maybe this one will be all ri

quote:

The once feared warrior now lives in the shifting wildlands outside the reach of his enemies and the neon glow of Zilla’s cybernetic metropolis, scratching out a meager existence as a hired sword for the local Yakuza clans. When a simple mission goes wrong, Lo Wang is drawn into a volatile conflict between a brilliant young scientist, a controversial cult leader, and a terrifying new drug known as Shade.
NOPE, gently caress THIS, I'M OUT

Vakal
May 11, 2008
At this point what we really need is an FPS version of the Expendables, but with Lo Wang, Caleb, Duke Nukem, John Blade and possibly a walk-on on cameo from Gordon Freeman.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i usually like games with procedurally generated stuff if it's done well, but for an fps game it's worrying. also that's probably too many weapons. by about 60 or so.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

90% of No Man's Sky is going to be boring empty wilderness. I'm excited for it too but let's not kid ourselves. Procedural maps still have a long way to go before they're close enough to handmade maps to fill the same roles in a game.

Yeah, I think its extremely telling that we haven't seen anything on no man's sky in a long time.

It looks cool but I think the reality is going to be closer to Minecraft than people are expecting.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vakal posted:

At this point what we really need is an FPS version of the Expendables, but with Lo Wang, Caleb, Duke Nukem, John Blade and possibly a walk-on on cameo from Gordon Freeman.

TerminusEst13, please do this :allears:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I think it's great that bad+racist game Shadow Warrior got a reboot that turned it into an unambitious but fun shooter, and now a new game is going to make it something different.

Flying Hog never pretended that SW2013 was gonna be a classic FPS like they did with Hard Reset, which made me appreciate it a lot more.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

But something about it I just find insanely charming, compared to other games of its era. It just loving works.

Probably mostly nostalgia?

On paper, Quake sounds like it has godawful design. Eight weapons, one of which is a straight-up upgrade over the other? Multiplayer that revolves around a single weapon? Three weapons that are basically the same thing? Dark levels with dark textures? The whole game seems designed to give modern game designers heart attacks.

Then you play it, and everything fits perfectly. Most of the weapons are useful in their own ways, the Rocket Launcher focus of Q1s MP makes it extremely fun, the levels are a blast to play through, and you even learn to appreciate the Nailgun, despite it being outclassed by the Super Nailgun in every way. I don't know how iD managed to do it, but Quake 1 works extremely well.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Geight posted:

Flying Hog never pretended that SW2013 was gonna be a classic FPS like they did with Hard Reset, which made me appreciate it a lot more.

Whatever Flying Hog would have chosen to present Hard Reset as wouldn't have helped the fact that the game was overwhelmingly loving terrible.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm probably going to be a bad man by saying that I really didn't like the Quake arsenal. The grenade launcher was different enough and the super nail gun was the definition of "punchy" and the Lightning gun gibbing you underwater was a pretty cool touch, but I really didn't enjoy using them in general. Maybe it's because they were just simple geometric shapes floating in front of the camera and the animations were mostly nonexistent? I don't know, but I felt a lot more powerful with the arsenals from Doom/II and Duke 3D (sort of) and even Shadow Warrior.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there a particular edition of Unreal Tournament that still gets a lot of love/support relative to the others? Or do most people just go with the newest release. I've still got my 2004 CDs somewhere.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Is there a reason House of Pain (E3M4) is textured like they didn't even realize people were going to play it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Minidust posted:

Is there a particular edition of Unreal Tournament that still gets a lot of love/support relative to the others? Or do most people just go with the newest release. I've still got my 2004 CDs somewhere.

I *think* it's a close toss-up between 99 and 2k4, but maybe there's a bit more love/support for 2k4. I would hope so, I always found it was the better game, in that it was really just like a super great version of 99.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Minidust posted:

UT99 and 2k4 are both supported still, but I think the multiplayers for both are mostly dead thanks to age, UT3 being poo poo, and UT4 being free.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah thirding UT'99 and 2k4. Last I checked there are still a few holdout modders working on UT99 stuff (like the Nali Weapons dude) but 2k4 is definitely the more active of the communities--even though they're both pretty dead. Fortunately the bot AI is more than adequate for both games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It sounds really odd to say, but UT3 being awful at launch literally killed the other two game's communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Cool maybe I'll make a point of digging 2K4 up. And I've got some nostalgia for '99, based on the Dreamcast version of all things. Thanks for the input guys!

Are Unreal and Unreal II any good for single player? Steam is selling basically the entire Unreal Franchise for $10 right now, so I'm curious.