Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

I imagine it wouldn't see much use outside of games specifically tailored for it (I mean, it probably wouldn't pop up in a game set in the Midwest...) but a nautical Hunter conspiracy could be pretty cool.

Well, they'd be pretty good to use in a coastal town. Say, in New England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

I imagine it wouldn't see much use outside of games specifically tailored for it (I mean, it probably wouldn't pop up in a game set in the Midwest...) but a nautical Hunter conspiracy could be pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPYAZUcohmw

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Loomer posted:

Not gonna lie, this could be an amazing game. I'd be down to play a beast simultaneously struggling to still be a good person or even a morally good archetype of his monstrosity (not every dragon or giant or troll in myth is necessarily a colossal rear end in a top hat afterall, so there's ample precedent) while also trying to survive hero attacks, not kill the heroes who do more good than bad in the world, and try and steer them towards the beasts who give in fully to loving horrorshow monstrosity.

It'd also make a loving neat twist on the monomyth, which is supposedly part of beast's whole schtick. By directly acting to try and keep the good hero alive but 'in the dark' even when he's busy barging into your shadowy lair, you take on the role Campbell sets out for the supernatural or quasi-supernatural source of aid. The hero doesn't know it, but you're the reason he ends up with the necessary amulet to go kill that dragon - because you made sure it was in the 'treasure' in the false lair of yours he raided, or you arranged for an old homeless man to give it to him, etc. You're the force that pushes him into the return stage of the monomyth cycle once he's done, to make sure he doesn't turn into one of the villainous 'heroes' who wind up causing great amounts of harm. And all the while you're having to fight against the monstrous instincts and manage to keep him from accidentally killing you rather than the real bastards.

Beast as an adversarial psychopomp would be a trip.

edit: I am Sauron / Nibelung and boy howdy, do I have a ring for you!

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 11, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I had an idea this morning as I was waiting for the bus. A Conspiracy of sailors and captains, dating back to the early days of the Age of Exploration. It stands to reason that there's a lot of terrifying things at sea, and a group of hunters could have formed between those who had seen or experienced the unnatural.

I thought of calling the Thesean Guild. Their Endowment would be Unnatural Cartography. Got a few ideas as to what that would entail, but nothing really done yet.

They could probably be expanded out to wayfarers, hitchhikers and all sorts of explorers. Unnatural Cartography may have them able to better know where things like Avernian Gates are or where the Gauntlet is thinner and may have navigated through them at some point. I'd be tempted to include entrances into the Hedge with those, but it'd probably be way more dangerous than the others for a mortal or at least have a lower likelihood of them coming back out mortal and mostly sane.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have a plot featuring a war in the underworld between the hierarchy and a renegade group organized around ghosts who, in the wake of recent Giovanni fuckery, have basically had it to here with vampires and were recruited by the Renegades pushing an agenda of "gently caress the Dictum Mortem, let's burn them all". The Hierarchy, in turn, approaches the players for help with the war, asking them to destroy several objects which are in fact Renegade leadership Fetters, the idea being that with the Renegade leadership abruptly kicked out of the Shadowlands, the Hierarchy can mop up the Renegades and in return end the attacks on vampires.

So what does the Prince do, when presenting with a shopping list of targets, which all but has "delegate these tasks to player characters to get them involved and give them a chance to earn status and favor or gently caress up and earn disfavor" printed across the top? In a game where players often complain that the game is too PVP-focused and that they want more PVE stuff to do at game?

The Prince distributes the tasks to their coterie, who file a coordinated list of downtime and influence actions intended to knock out the entire list in email between games, keeping it all not only to themselves, but in their email accounts rather than in-game. :bang:

The players in question are all too experienced not to know better, too. :argh:

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Hey, just give them the rewards, good and hard.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh good, I just found a passage talking about how it feels really good to build a new Lair room out of an area where someone else has had a mental breakdown in front of you.

Oh hey, I forgot about that. In our playtest game, we wanted to add the vampire's safe room to our Lair so we got some hapless security goon and crucified him in there. He kept making his Integrity rolls so we had to torture him while he was crucified. By this point in the game I had pretty much completely checked out.

You know what, I hate Beast.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Christopher Lee is the handsomest Dracula

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Little_wh0re posted:

Christopher Lee is the handsomest Dracula

Or at least was :(

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Aww, man, I hadn't heard. :(

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Christopher Lee is still alive, I think Flavivirus just means Gary Oldman or Luke Evans are better looking.

(Or just that Lee has gotten less handsome in his senior years.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Actually, uh...http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11666316/christopher-lee-dies-live.html

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

moths posted:

Christopher Lee is still alive, I think Flavivirus just means Gary Oldman or Luke Evans are better looking.

(Or just that Lee has gotten less handsome in his senior years.)

You should never have to learn something like this from goons, but no, he's not anymore.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh drat.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

unseenlibrarian posted:

christopher-lee-dies-live.html

:stare:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Undead, undead, undead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Awww what the hell I was really looking for a new Charlemagne album :(

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

I look forward to "Christopher Lee Dies... LIVE!" as the final Charlemagne album.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

He'll be fine. All we have to do is sprinkle some blood on him and he'll be back on his feet in 1, maybe 2 scenes, tops!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Flavivirus posted:

Or at least was :(

Man does no-one else remember this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2875010&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
poo poo, this is a hell of a thing to hear in an elfgame thread :(

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

So what does the Prince do, when presenting with a shopping list of targets, which all but has "delegate these tasks to player characters to get them involved and give them a chance to earn status and favor or gently caress up and earn disfavor" printed across the top? In a game where players often complain that the game is too PVP-focused and that they want more PVE stuff to do at game? The Prince distributes the tasks to their coterie, who file a coordinated list of downtime and influence actions intended to knock out the entire list in email between games, keeping it all not only to themselves, but in their email accounts rather than in-game. The players in question are all too experienced not to know better, too.

What was the at-game resolution plan? Was it all mundane, or were there going to be some ghost shenanigans as the new players started wrecking the fetters during the session? Not sure how you are running downtimes, but the personal ones where the coterie goes themselves can probably be handled without Masq breaching, but mortal influences can tend to lose their poo poo when objects start flying around or their mafia goons get possessed. If the Prince at all understood that these things were ghost related, then that's fair warning that they should have a PC handle it.

I'm not sure there's a good way to solve the plot-hoarding problem without addressing it as a playgroup directly. If nothing else you have an example of an honest attempt by the STs to put PvE issues into game, but having the distribution fail because of player actions. You said the Prince's player is a veteran, but how reasonable are they? It'd a little meta, but can you flag certain plots like these for 'newb distribution' so the player knows they are safe to give out without worrying about city-wide threats or consequences escalating when the new players inevitably eff it in the bee.

That doesn't do anything to address the inherent balance a Praxis Coterie has to strike between effectiveness and boredom. On one hand, if the Prince seems to start a ghost-war because he gave PvE plots to newbs rather than effectively solving the situation himself, that's an easy hook for a Praxis challenge. One the other, if players get too bored, Praxis attempts are at least something to do to generate buzz/politics.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Beasts should have the ability to do painful and disgusting things, terrifying bystanders but then they bring beautiful things, like Crystal Pepsi, back into our world through the destruction they cause.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And then they torture people by forcing them to drink Crystal Pepsi, thus feeding their rapacious hunger.

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
So i'm reading the vampire 2e book, and I don't see anyway you gain/regain humanity.

Are you just boned if you start the downward spiral?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Beasts should have the ability to do painful and disgusting things, terrifying bystanders but then they bring beautiful things, like Crystal Pepsi, back into our world through the destruction they cause.

I see no beauty in the world you wish of.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Is this really notable enough for a game line, though?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Beasts are petty health inspectors keeping us from Crystal Pepsi and Blue Bell ice cream!

Mugabe Glasses
Apr 6, 2003

Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London

Attorney at Funk posted:

YES, GODDAMMIT.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Beast is already a game about selling your brand and terrifying/tormenting the normies, I don't think it would take much of a retool to turn it into a corporate boardroom focused game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Holyeskimo posted:

So i'm reading the vampire 2e book, and I don't see anyway you gain/regain humanity.

Are you just boned if you start the downward spiral?
You can buy it back with xp.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

You can buy it back with xp.

Yes, spending XPs are the mechanics, the in story reasons are left to the ST, but should be more difficult than losing humanity. Selfless acts, charity that actually means something, sacrifice, or even well played deep introspection have been some of the vehicles I've allowed for humanity regen.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Wales Grey posted:

Beast is already a game about selling your brand and terrifying/tormenting the normies, I don't think it would take much of a retool to turn it into a corporate boardroom focused game.

Suddenly, I want to play a board game about being Cheiron Group board members.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Soonmot posted:

Yes, spending XPs are the mechanics, the in story reasons are left to the ST, but should be more difficult than losing humanity. Selfless acts, charity that actually means something, sacrifice, or even well played deep introspection have been some of the vehicles I've allowed for humanity regen.
The way I've seen it justified has usually been "act the Humanity score you want to have". So if you want to get your Humanity above 4, stop murdering people.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Androc posted:

Insert Futurama money joke here.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Androc posted:

Has there been any 'canon' explanation for what they are? Or is it all ST fiat? I'm thinking a bunch of ancient, retired Hunters; hell, they might be the people who started the other Conspiracies, with the Lucifuge, that guy from the Church etc. all chillin' and making boardroom deals.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The canonical explanation is they're extradimensional horrors trying to take over the world but it's pretty lame. Either they're an evil invading alien force or they're alternate dimension hunters trying to steal power from this world to save their own.

E:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

The canonical explanation is they're extradimensional horrors trying to take over the world but it's pretty lame. Either they're an evil invading alien force or they're alternate dimension hunters trying to steal power from this world to save their own.

E:

This kind of stuff convinces me WW/OPP shouldn't really try to answer these questions themselves. It seems when they do, the answer is inevitably incredibly lame.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I've yet to hear of one of these "who is this shadowy group of spooky modern-day powerbrokers" setups where the answer wasn't underwhelming, regardless of who was writing it or in what medium they were writing it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crion posted:

I've yet to hear of one of these "who is this shadowy group of spooky modern-day powerbrokers" setups where the answer wasn't underwhelming, regardless of who was writing it or in what medium they were writing it in

I think it wasn't in Feng Shui primarily because they never bothered hiding the world was ruled by the Chicken Illuminati of transformed animals with magic kung fu. Without tons of buildup and with a generally lighter, sillier tone that doesn't take itself seriously it's a lot easier to pull off.

Like, you build it up too long in a serious setting and you eventually write a check your pen won't be able to cash.