Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I recently discovered The Great Suspender. It makes a world of difference for someone like me that has tons of tabs and hates closing them. :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

is there a built in way to get smooth scrolling or do i have to get an extension? it the latter, any recommendation?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

teagone posted:

Is there an extension that just exclusively does that?
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/h264ify/aleakchihdccplidncghkekgioiakgal?hl=en-US

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey Chrome thread,

This morning did a clean install of Windows onto a new hard drive. I installed Chrome after my drivers (and junk like Java, Adobe reader, Skype) were done, copied over my old Chrome folder to grab my favorites, bookmarks etc and then re-downloaded my extensions.

I decided to go check out Fumbbl, a website designed for playing Bloodbowl which I commonly accessed in the past; however when I tried to go to my favorited page I got this:

This is the first time I have ever had this happen, it worked fine on my last computer/windows install. I checked to see if the site would work on Firefox and it did. I re-downloaded Java because I thought it would be something to do with that considering the site uses some Java based thing to set up games; but it didn't fix it. I was hoping someone could tell me how to find out what is wrong and fix the issue; I would really prefer not to have to use Firefox every time I want to look at the website and I am worried it will affect other Java based sites that I use for filling out job questionnaires and tests.

My version of Chrome is 43.0.2357.81 m (64-bit) and I belive it is Stable considering I just downloaded the installer and hit go.

Edit: I should say disabling extensions makes no difference.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 29, 2015

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't know, but I'm guessing it has something to do with copying over the raw files. That doesn't seem like a great idea. Setup a Google account if you don't have one, even just for Chrome syncing, let your stuff sync, then delete everything, reinstall, and resync.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I don't know, but I'm guessing it has something to do with copying over the raw files. That doesn't seem like a great idea. Setup a Google account if you don't have one, even just for Chrome syncing, let your stuff sync, then delete everything, reinstall, and resync.

That did in fact fix it. Thanks.

Last time I had to change PCs chrome didn't have this snyching stuff so I copied stuff over. Guess I should move on with the times.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Please keep in mind that Java will not work in Chrome a few months from now, since support for NPAPI is being removed.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

dpbjinc posted:

Please keep in mind that Java will not work in Chrome a few months from now, since support for NPAPI is being removed.

Yeah I have already had java based stuff spit the dummy at me for job apps and the like.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thermopyle posted:

We had a bit of discussion earlier about tab management. I usually group tabs by window, and I just came across this extension called Spaces which lets you name windows, save all the tabs in a window, and switch between them via a hotkey.

Works pretty well in my testing this afternoon.

I dig this! I was using OneTab for a while but this seems an improvement. Thanks!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bless your kind soul.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I had a problem with AdBlock Plus randomly freezing my computer when loading a new webpage, so I switched to uBlock Origin and its doing the same thing. The freezing goes away when I disable the extension. The only other extension I have enabled is Web of Trust.

My Google Chrome version is 43.0.2357.81 m. Here's a list of the filters I'm using with uBlock Origin.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I had the same problem, I switched to adblock not plus and its working fine now.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
If any of you are afflicted by the LastPass slow login bug, here's the official Chromium bug report: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=487201

Supposedly the issue is resolved in Dev and Canary but I just updated to 45.0.2421.0 dev-m from Beta and I'm still experiencing it even after a reinstall of the extension. I guess all we can do now is cross our fingers and hope the Chromium team figures out a fix.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Does anybody have any idea why Chrome is displaying some images like this? The color grading is all hosed up. Reinstalling Chrome did not work, so I thought it was my video card drivers, but that didn't fix it. Firefox and IE display the same pictures just fine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I had to reinstall windows yesterday. Prior to that, Chrome's spellcheck always struck me as pretty good, with lots of fictional and foreign names known and taking context into account often. After the reinstall, the spellcheck is pretty crappy and is basically as bad as Firefox's now. I am fairly sure I didn't install anything special to get a better spellcheck so... what gives?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

reagan posted:

Does anybody have any idea why Chrome is displaying some images like this? The color grading is all hosed up. Reinstalling Chrome did not work, so I thought it was my video card drivers, but that didn't fix it. Firefox and IE display the same pictures just fine.

That image looks hosed up on Chrome, Firefox, and IE for me.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Thermopyle posted:

That image looks hosed up on Chrome, Firefox, and IE for me.

Is this a joke, because I deliberately took a screenshot of what it looked like in Chrome so that people would understand what I meant. Or are you referencing the dude? That's what most images look like when I use Chrome on my desktop.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

reagan posted:

looks like an ICC colour profile?

https://photographylife.com/is-your-browser-color-managed

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

I think you are right, but it looks like Google removed the command line fixes fairly recently, or at the very least they aren't fixing the problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

reagan posted:

Is this a joke, because I deliberately took a screenshot of what it looked like in Chrome so that people would understand what I meant.

Well you didn't say that.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not technically a Chrome question, but there's no Google General Questions thread:

I used to have auto-backup enabled for my photos on my Google Plus app on my iPhone. Recently that feature got automatically disabled and it's now saying "Backups are being performed by another app".

The only thing I could think off was that months ago (before the feature stopped working), I had installed the auto-backup software on one of my computers. I uninstalled it, but the problem persists.

Is there any way to just reset my backup settings?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Google Photos handles backups now since Plus is being phased out.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

reagan posted:

I think you are right, but it looks like Google removed the command line fixes fairly recently, or at the very least they aren't fixing the problem.

the image test page looks fine on my chrome for linux, it doesn't in chrome for android though. It does look fine on my chrome for windows too

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I know I just asked about this, but this is really starting to bother me. I still haven't found out why Chrome's spellcheck is suddenly lovely when it didn't use to be like this. So, a few things. Chrome is no longer checking for grammar and word use errors. As in, they're/there, etc. Fictional names are no longer being checked correctly, as in The Witcher (it wants to correct Witcher when it didn't use to). Same with foreign names, like Johan. Also, some words just aren't in the database when they clearly should be, like "impactful".

I know, who cares about spellcheck, it's such a minor feature. But it just really bothers me that it worked excellently, much better than any other browser, until I had to reinstall Windows. I can confirm that I did not have any extensions for this. So I have some questions. What is everyone else's spellcheck like? Are there any hidden settings that I can tweak to make it better? Did I install some weird enhancement (definitely not an extension) and forgot about it?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
have you tried enabling " use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" ?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

:doh: Alright, that was it, thanks. I looked through the advanced settings page but missed that option. Glad I don't see squiggly red lines everywhere anymore.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I have an Opera userjs that I want to convert to a Chrome extension. Is there someplace that I can commission someone to help me do this?

It's essentially a highlighting extension that allows me to highlight words and phrases (and parts of words and punctuation) in different customizable colors. It's essentially this Multi-Highlight extension but with more of the requested features implemented. I want a hotkey to access the word list, and be able to keyboard-shortcut to the next instance of each word.

There doesn't seem to be anything like this for Chrome, and I'd like to get an estimate of what it would cost to commission someone to do it for me. I also have the Opera userjs so I think that should help explain exactly what I want and hopefully the extension doesn't have to be written from scratch.

Should I post in the SHSC Job Fair thread for something like this? Is there another site for commissioning things like this?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

Google Photos handles backups now since Plus is being phased out.

Thanks for the tip!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

lowcrabdiet posted:

Should I post in the SHSC Job Fair thread for something like this? Is there another site for commissioning things like this?

There are lots of websites for hiring contract and freelance programmers. I can't say I know which ones, if any, cater to buyers who are unfamiliar with software development.

(I assume you are unfamiliar because you don't seem to know about sites like Elance.)

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 10, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Do Chromebooks have a built in firewall and can you edit it?

The most recent update made it so I can't connect to IRC on any of the normal 6660-6670 ports. Works fine on syn ircs's port 80 server.

All other computers on the house work fine, so its not the network.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

eSporks posted:

Do Chromebooks have a built in firewall and can you edit it?

The most recent update made it so I can't connect to IRC on any of the normal 6660-6670 ports. Works fine on syn ircs's port 80 server.

All other computers on the house work fine, so its not the network.

You have to open a crosh to do so and in order to do that you have to be in developer mode.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

crondaily posted:

You have to open a crosh to do so and in order to do that you have to be in developer mode.
You can open crosh without dev mode.
I'm not seeing any related commands when I type help, and my googling is not turning up anything. Googling for chromeos related problems is very frustrating, you just get tons of windows chrome browser related results, or newbie guides to chromebooks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it just me, or did HTTP Switchboard just kind of stop working? I can't find it in the store anymore either.

It started causing pages to load REALLY slowly..and now it's not working at all.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard says

quote:

HTTP Switchboard for Chromium
Important: No longer developed. Project has been split into two distinct, more advanced extensions: uBlock Origin and uMatrix.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh yeah. Forgot that was happening.

Isn't uBlock Origin the one not being worked on anymore and uBlock is the fork that is?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Origin is the original, Ublock is the fork, both are being worked on

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Which one should we use?

Also has anyone else been getting Hes Dead, Jim on the new tab page? Running Version 43.0.2357.81 m (64-bit) - after a refresh it usually works OK.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

eSporks posted:

You can open crosh without dev mode.
I'm not seeing any related commands when I type help, and my googling is not turning up anything. Googling for chromeos related problems is very frustrating, you just get tons of windows chrome browser related results, or newbie guides to chromebooks.

Here is what I would have to put in to open ports for videostream to work on my chromebook:

ChromeOS doesn't allow servers to open up ports in the firewall. So even though Videostream works in your browser, it can't send the video file to the Chromecast. You have to do tab-casting.
edit:
I should note. We CAN run in ChromeOS ONLY If you run in Dev mode. That way you can manually open up the TCP ports! I got a nice snazzy command for you to run.
Dev mode enabled:
Run Crosh:
Run Shell:
Type: sudo /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 5556 -j ACCEPT

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

uMatrix is really annoying...it's like HTTP Switchboard on overkill. It blocks just about EVERYTHING and you have to constantly go and tell it to allow things...it broke YouTube fairly quickly...something HTTP Switchboard didn't do.

Is there a whitelist feature at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just use uBlock.