Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The Halloween episode was the first one I saw, but I didn't get hooked until I watched the dead poets society one. "This is no way to teach accounting!" Is still one of my favorite lines of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS

Cybershell posted:

It's kind of a dumb joke but "Did you say S?" still gets a hearty laugh from me.

that's the punchline of the whole thing cmon. it's great and I laughed so hard my back started to hurt

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
He said "F".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mastajake posted:

The Halloween episode was the first one I saw, but I didn't get hooked until I watched the dead poets society one. "This is no way to teach accounting!" Is still one of my favorite lines of the series.

"I'll have a birthday cake!" is my go to stall tactic when I'm not ready to order at a restaurant/fast food place.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I still love that Abed is the only one that gets the Spanish presentation, like it spoke to him.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

El Tortuga posted:

He said "F".

I just don't want to throw off your natural

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
19 episodes through season 1 rewatch.

Best moments so far:

• Somewhere Out There
• that no-dialogue scene where everyone is thinking sexual thoughts about everyone else
• the pottery/doctor guy's crazy internal thoughts

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Donglover is in Magic Mike 2.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The first little snipit I ever saw when I was channel surfing was Jeff getting extremely jealous of the pottery instructor - I thought community was rear end until I gave into all the recommendations and did a proper viewing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

Donglover is in Magic Mike 2.

I wonder if he strips. He's ripped as gently caress.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
Season one is definitely the most consistent. The 2nd one has some episodes that are just as good or better (Halloween, D&D, Calligraphy!) but also lower lows, especially regarding Pierce's characterization. When I recommend Community it's for these two alone.

Great moments I dont think anyone has mentionned yet for season one:

- "My life is a gym!" and the Forrest Whitaker eye from the Bully episode
- Phys Ed, and how emotional it gets when Jeff chooses shorts
- When Abed directs Jeff's bender so he can drunk-dial Brita. They party with the pizza delivery dude, Jeff wakes up with two different masks on and Abed can't remember any references to shows for being so hungover.
- Pierce auditionning for a new band after Vaughn kicks him out, his only line is "She's a G.D.B."

It's all a matter of taste of course but I prefered it when characterization was an on-going process and not something the show simply refered to for laughs. Troy and Abed in the morning tags went from being naturally hilarious to simply groan-worthy (Paintball episodes beyond the first one also suck). Obviously it's harder to work out new elements to flesh out characters 4 seasons in.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think the first thing that got me on board was someone showing me "am I krumping?"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

tarlibone posted:

(The scene where the Dean is on the phone and the government takes over the call the instant he reads something from the back of the container was hilarious.)

I loved the scene where Duncan activates some sort of covert missile tower over the phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx_MkKJPNjQ

FOR MARIGOLD, PRESS 4

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I never noticed the pictograms before. :allears:

I wonder if anyone ever followed that QR code. I'd need an HD shot... (EDIT: It translates to "Greetings From Greendale Community College".)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 11, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brawnfire posted:

I loved the scene where Duncan activates some sort of covert missile tower over the phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx_MkKJPNjQ

FOR MARIGOLD, PRESS 4

The lack of Professor Duncan is the greatest problem with season 6.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if anyone ever followed that QR code. I'd need an HD shot... (EDIT: It translates to "Greetings From Greendale Community College".)

That's pretty cool! Thanks, I was super curious too.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

MikeJF posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343929&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=90

People here were trying to scan moments after the episode ended, to no avail. Eventually it was cracked by someone, somewhere, apparently it was a simple message: "Greetings from Greendale Community College."

edit: that's what I get for digging through pages of the old thread before thinking to Google it :pwn:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, one thing I really miss about the early seasons is Britta being able to match Jeff in verbal sparring and instantly calling all of his bullshit.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MikeJF posted:

Man, one thing I really miss about the early seasons is Britta being able to match Jeff in verbal sparring and instantly calling all of his bullshit.

I like Smart Britta who makes mistakes more than Dumb Britta who's just dumb. She kicked his rear end (conversationally) in the pilot, and it really made me like the characters more.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
In the process of looking up the QR code I came across the Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne game. I vaguely remember reading about it a couple years ago, but it's now about to leave beta and get a 1.0 release on Saturday.

https://projecthawkthorne.com/

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

My favorite two Community moments that pushed it into the tier of all-time favorites are Jeff asking if anyone managed to shut off Abba in the zombie episode and "Come on I'm Dean, and my hands are so clean."

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

prefect posted:

I like Smart Britta who makes mistakes more than Dumb Britta who's just dumb. She kicked his rear end (conversationally) in the pilot, and it really made me like the characters more.

Same. Reminds me of smart, strong, confident Elliott on Scrubs. I think that lasted just a few episodes before she did a 180 and became the complete opposite and putting her foot in her mouth all the time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I remember trying and failing to get that QR code to work ages ago.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Drighton posted:

Same. Reminds me of smart, strong, confident Elliott on Scrubs. I think that lasted just a few episodes before she did a 180 and became the complete opposite and putting her foot in her mouth all the time.

It turns out being a snotty know-it-all doesn't endear you to audiences.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

It turns out being a snotty know-it-all doesn't endear you to audiences.

I don't know that she was being so much of a snotty know-it-all as she was being just a very annoying contrarian. Everything was a social issue, no matter what anyone was talking about--Britta was there to remind everyone SOCIAL ISSUE. When played straight, this gets old pretty quickly, because most people hate those kinds of people in real life because everyone knows someone who is exactly like that in real life. If you've been to college, then you've known a few dozen people like that in real life. Sometimes, it makes you think. Sometimes, it broadens your horizons. Never does it make you giggle.

Take the same person and make him or her an idiot, and all of the sudden, it's quite funny. Well, funnier than when played straight, and funnier to a larger number of people. It turned Britta from that rear end in a top hat who we all know in real life to that absurd character who doesn't really exist in real life, making it safe to laugh at her. And deep down, we all want contrarians to be idiots, don't we? Assuming we don't already believe that they are, that is.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

No actually being a total clown is really boring and audiences need to get over themselves.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lt. Danger posted:

audiences need to get over themselves.

So when is the movie out, Dan?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

prefect posted:

A smart person can only make so many mistakes before they cross the line into just being dumb.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Drighton posted:

It really didn't start until the back 9 of season 1, and didn't get really bad until season 3.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Drighton posted:

Strong smart confident Elliott was an rear end in a top hat who nobody liked, Scrubs didn't need more of those.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
s2e01: Anthropology 101 is where Community kicks up from a 7.5/10 to a 10/10 in one fell swoop. What an absolutely perfect episode. And that Linnaean taxonomy/Toto's Africa rap with Betty White... :swoon:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I still love Britta wanting to put a hat on a frog. Her expression when she reveals her masterplan and the resulting scene.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I hadn't seen this show until it was in season 2, but when I was over at a friend's house as caught the ending to Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design I knew I had stumbled onto a magical, magical show.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Arrrthritis posted:

I hadn't seen this show until it was in season 2, but when I was over at a friend's house as caught the ending to Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design I knew I had stumbled onto a magical, magical show.

Fact: in 100% of all fake gun shootings, the victim is always the one with the fake gun.

Would that this hoodie were a time hoodie...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Britta becoming dumber over time while being a student at Greendale is completely keeping to the spirit of the show.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Not to mention the smart, independent, sexy romantic foil character is so overdone in sitcoms. I'm really glad they changed Britta's character. She turned into a pretty unique collection of traits, and Gillian Jacobs got to show off her comedic potential.

Also, you shouldn't judge characters by their traits in the first batch of episodes of a first season of anything. They have not been dimensionalized yet, and the writers and actors have not had time to experiment with relationships and how each actor works. It's sort of similar to when you first meet someone, then slowly get to know them better, and they take on a different character, in your mind, then the original first impression.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ashpanash posted:

Fact: in 100% of all fake gun shootings, the victim is always the one with the fake gun.

Would that this hoodie were a time hoodie...

That is probably one of my all-time favorites. "Excheterah, excheterah"

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Britta was at her best as early as mid-late season 1. Turning her into a mentally challenged punchline was not an improvement. As much as I hate to use a term from tv-tropes, flanderization seems pretty apt in her case.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
Britta pronounced bagel as baggle in season one, therefore she has always been the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
"I AM A SPANISH GENIUS!"
-the best chang

----

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 12, 2015

• Locked thread