Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

darealkooky posted:

re-reading part 5 and I realized an interesting comparison between DIO and Diavolo

DIO's big dramatic reveal against the heroes involves him at the top of a flight of stairs, and preventing Polnareff (who is at the bottom) from going up them

Diavolo's big dramatic reveal against the heroes involves him at the bottom of a flight of stairs, and Polnareff (who is at the top) is unable to prevent him from going up them.

Dunno if this was an intended parallel since araki forgets stuff constantly and there was a good six years between scenes, but it's a cool thing all the same.

I'm looking forward to starting the manga when the anime finishes up. This sounds cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
unless you take a hella long time getting through part 4 prepare to be disappointed because about 3/4th's of part 5 have a garbage translation and in particular the stuff surrounding diavolo is really hosed up

if you can read itallian or japanese try that instead but otherwise curb your enthusiasm

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You'll probably not take too long with Part 4 because it's just amazing and hard to put down.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

darealkooky posted:

unless you take a hella long time getting through part 4 prepare to be disappointed because about 3/4th's of part 5 have a garbage translation and in particular the stuff surrounding diavolo is really hosed up

if you can read itallian or japanese try that instead but otherwise curb your enthusiasm

Aren't you a downer haha. Thanks for the heads up though.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Just read part 4 like 5 times in a row instead cause its the best

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

darealkooky posted:

re-reading part 5 and I realized an interesting comparison between DIO and Diavolo

DIO's big dramatic reveal against the heroes involves him at the top of a flight of stairs, and preventing Polnareff (who is at the bottom) from going up them

Diavolo's big dramatic reveal against the heroes involves him at the bottom of a flight of stairs, and Polnareff (who is at the top) is unable to prevent him from going up them.

I saw someone point this out somewhere recently. MAL, I think.

DIO is supposed to be Italian for God, and Diavolo is Italian for Devil. And I guess that would make the stairs the Stairway to Hea- :stare:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

littleorv posted:

I'm looking forward to starting the manga when the anime finishes up. This sounds cool.

I started with the manga right after the Vanilla Ice fight was over (starting from about the middle of it), and it's so worth it. Part 4 is so good, even if I'm not much into it, the characters are very fun.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Part 4 is the best because Araki decides to bring out the "HOLY poo poo THEY'RE FLYING" serious business out again for rock paper scissors.
Part 4 is the best because Josuke punches some spaghetti because it's suspicious.
Part 4 is the best because Josuke finds an alien and his first thought is "hahaha let's gently caress with Rohan".
Part 4 is the best because Okuyasu. Also, Kira.

Part 4 also has amazing looking Stands.
Part 4 is the best.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aurain posted:

Part 4 is the best because Araki decides to bring out the "HOLY poo poo THEY'RE FLYING" serious business out again for rock paper scissors.
Part 4 is the best because Josuke punches some spaghetti because it's suspicious.
Part 4 is the best because Josuke finds an alien and his first thought is "hahaha let's gently caress with Rohan".
Part 4 is the best because Okuyasu. Also, Kira.

Part 4 also has amazing looking Stands.
Part 4 is the best.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
it'd be a crime if David don't make part 4

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Waffleman_ posted:

I was hoping that the joke would be vague enough to not be spoilers
I'm hoping someone remembers my dog post in a decade or so when we get to Stone Ocean.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
part 5 has a scene where giorno kills a man by turning a banana into a gun and another scene where everyone dances to rap music while a man is getting graphically tortured right next to them

7 and 8 are when araki finally learned how to write a coherent storyline but 4/5 is peak jojo imo

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
That dance was part of the torture

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
The dance and Narancia getting fork stabbed are definitely the highlights of part 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YuUNlITkOg

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
JoJo is a very cool manga where all of these very cool things happen. JoJo is very good.

e: My favorite goofy Part 5 thing was Bruno walking into airport, strolling up to some employee, telling the guy he's here to steal an airplane and then asking where they're parked

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 10, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

The dance and Narancia getting fork stabbed are definitely the highlights of part 5

Fugo needs a stress ball or something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Ekusukariba posted:

This post reminded me that the video featuring Akira Otoishi belting out a face melter was taken down from youtube and that makes me sad.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Fugo needs a stress ball or something.
I love that Purple Haze Feedback explored the concept of Fugo's quick temper and how that influenced Purple Haze's appearance. The book has some interesting bits where it talks about how Stand User's psyche affect their Stand. I can't remember the specifics, but I remember something like about how Stands like Bad Company and Harvest mean that User has a more scattered and not quite put together attitude.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Part 5 has a scene where Giorno shoots a dude in the head with a bullet, turns it into a beetle that starts eating the dude's brain and then follows that poo poo up with four double spreads worth of beatdown.

What I'm trying to say is that anybody who says Part 5 is bad is wrong on every level.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

I love that Purple Haze Feedback explored the concept of Fugo's quick temper and how that influenced Purple Haze's appearance. The book has some interesting bits where it talks about how Stand User's psyche affect their Stand. I can't remember the specifics, but I remember something like about how Stands like Bad Company and Harvest mean that User has a more scattered and not quite put together attitude.

Would that count for Mista too, then? Either way, I like when that kind of stuff is brought up. I remember either a bit in part 4 or something about it that went into people who have stands with sectioned off abilities or mini-stands, like Killer Queen and Sheer Heart Attack or Bites the Dust, meant there were some issues too but in a more "sectioning off parts of their personality" kind of way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Part 5 has a scene where Giorno shoots a dude in the head with a bullet, turns it into a beetle that starts eating the dude's brain and then follows that poo poo up with four double spreads worth of beatdown.

What I'm trying to say is that anybody who says Part 5 is bad is wrong on every level.

I'd dare say that Part V as a whole has the best quality of Stands in the series.

BaDandy posted:

Would that count for Mista too, then?

Yes. When that part is brought up, Mista's Sex Pistols is referenced.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm. *puts on the best bullshittin' goggles* Stands are part of nature's background noise and each of them lets the user control a specific aspect or aspects of existence, such as temperature, time or invisible zombies. They are bound to the user's consciousness and/or body through a special type of microorganism or just by the user being really good at something and both their appearance and abilities are shaped entirely by the properties of whatever entity they are manifesting through. When a Stand first begins to form, they are in a state of narrative unstability (a state that can be recreated by exposure to the microorganisms), where their abilities are not yet locked to their final configuration and in this state the unfinished Stand may even harm its user if their determination to survive and physical condition are not receptive to the fundamental force that creates Stands; Narrative Background Radiation (also known as magic or "bullshit")

I'm the world's leading Standologist and I'm gay. Gay for JoJo.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It's not gay if it's JoJo idiot.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Has anyone played the Vento Aureo game? I'm at the bit where Giorno and the Giornbros are driving away from the ice skating guy, and you have to stagger him with Mista for a certain amount of time. I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to shoot at him. I miss a lot, and all I've concluded was that you need to use Sex Pistols when he reaches the middle of the road.

On a related note, this game isn't bad. A game with nothing but puzzle bosses seems like the way to do a Jojo game. It'd be great with some tweaking. That, and maybe if they lowered the boss' health, since once you figure out the correct way to fight him, the rest of the battle is just Oraing the boss for a few minutes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're supposed to basically just keep shooting at him to knock him backwards with Sex Pistols. If you just keep blasting him as he moved towards you you should be, it's a pretty easy boss fight.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Million Ghosts posted:

It's not gay if it's JoJo idiot.

it is gay and it owns :dealwithit:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
JoJo counts as at least triplegay.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Even gay is gay for JoJo.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I feel like there's no "lol jojo so gay" joke that hasn't been made thousands of times.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Million Ghosts posted:

I feel like there's no "lol jojo so gay" joke that hasn't been made thousands of times.

who the gently caress is telling a joke?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

People were on about it earlier on the page and last.

Stumbled across this composite image showing the Polly and DIO/Diavolo parallel.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dogsicle posted:

do any dogs die from Parts 5 to 7? i can't remember, and Part 8 still has Iwasuke alive so that's out.

Ironically the opposite happens when the dinosaur stand guy gets eaten by dinowolves

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lol remembered that guy is called Mrs Robinson. The Mistress is part of the name.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Dinostand guy is Dr. Franz Ferdinand, Mrs. Robinson was the guy who had insects in his eyehole. :stonk:

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Dinostand guy is Dr. Franz Ferdinand, Mrs. Robinson was the guy who had insects in his eyehole. :stonk:

The bugs weren't even a part of his stand. He just had bugs in him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I forgot Polnareff has Silver Chariot legs in Part V.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Aurain posted:

Holly is a Joestar and Joestar's canonically only ever have one lover.
Kak-man was born too late.

I love the anime thread. They're adorable.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

they post in here too
but yeah, i'm excited for anime watchers to find out about Josuke

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

Yeah, I posted that while thinking about how much of a bastard Joseph is.
The volume releases did make an effort to point that out, which makes it all the more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

hoobajoo posted:

I was just about to post this :allears:

When I read that Josuke was Joseph's bastard, I yelled out loud "JOSEPH YOU ARSEHOLE HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO SUZY"