Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The annoying thing with Kelp Dome in Splat Zones is that even if you wipe out the enemy team, it takes more work than usual to actually claim the zone, since you have to visit each corner of it (all obstructed from each other) as well as the top part. A lot of the map also gets ignored, much like Arowana Mall. I think it's another map that would be better with two zones, placed in flat areas.

It is fun watching Krakens realize they can't chase you onto the grates, though.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think the Kelp Dome trick for my Blaster friends is to start out going left over the ramp, go straight and then hook right. There's a ground-floor way in you can push through which seems pretty safe for our kind. Just some words to put out there, in case anyone is trying as well. Stay strong my brothers.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Blaster tech exists everywhere, even in the dome. It just happens to be way more rear end int he dome than anywhere else.
Also supercar, at one point my team of 3 was alive with only me dead, enemy teamwhipe, and they couldn't figure out how to capture the zone. We literally lost because nobody climbed the middle section for 20 seconds. :kheldragar:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Here's my new squiddo

The shirt and shoes both have move-fast stats but the shoes match the sticker on the hat so I guess I move really fast now.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Don't some skills like fast moving not stack , or have I been cheated and lied to again?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Any perk that can show up as a sub-perk can stack, but you get diminishing returns. Also, fast movement only works while not firing, and does not speed up rollers.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Any perk that can show up as a sub-perk can stack, but you get diminishing returns. Also, fast movement only works while not firing, and does not speed up rollers.

But you're never not firing.

Thanks, though. That's good to know.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I was wearing the hoodie with the recycling logo on the back for Ninja Squid but apparently if you don't tilt the stick all the way you don't show ripples anyways, so I can still make sneaky ambushes and look fresh as hell

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Ninja Squid is dope when you're being splatted and then drop in the puddle you made around your enemy and take them out from the back like your dad did your mom

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

my advice for kelp dome turf war is to not leave the spawn pad until you've painted everything you can reach, then try to make your way to the ramp against the wall on the enemy side, if you can paint that area it's really hard to get rid of you

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Freshest SquidKid.

You're pretty fly (for a squid guy)

Also, Kelp Dome is awesome and I finally reached level 20 the other day!

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10168-Splatoon-Review

relevant I guess??? I don't know anyone's opinion on Zero Punctuation here so I'm sorry if I did a bad thing

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
That's about as close to a glowing review as you'll get from Yahtzee.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

At the start of Kelp Dome if you have a brush just walk straight forward from the spawn and jump throw a sprinkler. Congrats you painted the middle before most people turned a corner.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kelp dome

2 kid enter
1 squid leave

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Want a cool Splatoon Avatar or picture? Go to this cool guy here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3721114&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

SL the Pyro posted:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10168-Splatoon-Review

relevant I guess??? I don't know anyone's opinion on Zero Punctuation here so I'm sorry if I did a bad thing

Tell me more how out of touch with reality the clothing options are, fedora-wearing man.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Reiley posted:

Is there some sort of strategy to Ranked Kelp Dome that isn't a spray-and-pray shitfest? I think I really genuinely don't like this map because it seems to reward the same weapons that Turf Wars does in a way no other ranked map really compares to. I can't find a good way to close the gap on walkways and the bottom floor is wide open. I can't seem t find a way to do anything.

Eliminate your enemies, paint the zone, secure the area, same as any other splat zone?
Kelp Dome is probably my favorite one next to Walleye Warehouse. It's the skatepark one that's loving terrible.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Raserys posted:

Tell me more how out of touch with reality the clothing options are, fedora-wearing man.

He lives on a floating desert prison colony what do you want him to know about fashion

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im in the minority but I really like the skatepark splatzone. I think it's basically hell for rollers but I STILL USE THEM

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Gorp posted:

I find kelp hard because I think its the first map where the golden rule of "Custom Blaster always works" doesn't hold true.

If you're not annihilating people with the custom blaster then you're doing something wrong. With the amount of high areas where people think they're super clever trying to snipe from, if you hide in a good area you should be able to shoot right up and get them in a couple of shots even if they back away from the platform. People on the grates are sitting ducks.

Either that, or you have that problem I seem to often have where lag makes your blasters go right through the enemy even though I SHOT HIM RIGHT IN THE loving FACE GODDAMNIT
That only seems to ever happen in ranked though, most of the time I have no problem destroying people in turf war with direct hits. So my ranked strategy has evolved mostly to shooting right above head level and hoping for a one-shot kill but expecting two shots from splash damage.

Reiley posted:

I tend to play late at night with hiragana names so a lot of my Blaster shots end up with me demanding to no one that that was a direct hit.

:smith::respek::smith:
There have to be enough people playing this game where they can do a "regional" setting for matches. It doesn't make sense how often I get lobbied up with Japanese players.

SL the Pyro posted:

I didn't know anyone still gave a poo poo about yahtzee and his "talk like the micro machines guy" game reviews

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 11, 2015

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

As a Splattershot Jr. aficionado, the skatepark is literal heaven in splat zones.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

holy poo poo :roflolmao:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Tried for thirty minutes to glitch through the wall. Went home disappointed.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Im in the minority but I really like the skatepark splatzone. I think it's basically hell for rollers but I STILL USE THEM

Skatepark and warehouse aren't bad. the lovely ones is Arowana Mall and Urchin Underpass. gently caress those maps forever.

E: that other map sucks poo poo too but isn't bad. I forget the name but it's the one that has that giant square camp area north of the splat zone.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Saint Freak posted:

He lives on a floating desert prison colony what do you want him to know about fashion

Islands don't float.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They should've made the two moving platforms on Saltspray into two splat zones rather than the big awkward one in the middle there

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
They should just get rid of Splatoon altogether

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

A dog lover _____/

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Raserys posted:

Tried for thirty minutes to glitch through the wall. Went home disappointed.

I like how apparently they designed the back of the giant amiibo box in the plaza even though there's no way to see it in-game normally and replaced all the English/Japanese/etc. with the Inkling language.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
If Saltspray Rig is in the ranked rotation I won't play. If the other team's using chargers it's just too hard to recover. I generally dislike that map in general, though.

My favorite is probably the skatepark -- it can get so chaotic with the two zones, and it's super satisfying to swim between them up the skateboard ramps.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Fix posted:

Islands don't float.

They're floating on magma.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I like how apparently they designed the back of the giant amiibo box in the plaza even though there's no way to see it in-game normally and replaced all the English/Japanese/etc. with the Inkling language.

Sometime people make models and don't know where they are were going to place it. There could have been a time where the Amiibo Box was in a big open area, where you could walk around it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

oopsie rock posted:

If Saltspray Rig is in the ranked rotation I won't play. If the other team's using chargers it's just too hard to recover. I generally dislike that map in general, though.

The secret to Rig is that you can get the uncap by just painting the area outside the chokepoint. Force them to come to you. Also make good use of the one-way walls

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

Also make good use of the one-way walls

The what now?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I found Kelp Dome to be a ton of fun with the roller. When you are on the grate, you can actually kill people down below by shaking your roller, giving you somewhat of an advantage with the roller you don't usually get. I somehow won a game 2 vs 4 when two of my teammates dropped out.

But I give it a day until everyone figures out what I'm doing

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Dizz posted:

The what now?

I'm guessing the walls that have a ramp on one side but not the other.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Dizz posted:

The what now?

The walls by the chokepoint can only be painted from the outside. Use those to attack the rest of the zone instead of just walking in. I think they even allow certain weapons to attack the sniper perches that can't hit them easily from ground level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I actually like Splatoon a lot guys it's okay

• Locked thread