Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This thread is getting pretty stupid. Let's talk about Real Literature.

I read the opening pages of American Pastoral and was blown away by Roth's prose. Any Philip Roth fans in here? What about haters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

This thread is getting pretty stupid. Let's talk about Real Literature.

I read the opening pages of American Pastoral and was blown away by Roth's prose. Any Philip Roth fans in here? What about haters?

I loving hate American Pastoral

I need to read more Phillip Roth but goddamn did I hate that book. Its about a bunch of comfortable upper middle class people being sad because the world was beginning not to bend over backwards to meet their every need. It literally eulogizes the supposed tragedy of business owners losing their money in the Newark riots. Blacks are consistently depicted as ungrateful and unskilled and deserving of their poverty. There is a scene where the protagonist is shown as foolish for keeping a factory open in the US when the rational choice would be to open a sweatshop in Latin America. The moral decision is framed in whether or not to make more money instead of whether or not being a sweatshop owner is ethical. The only reason he waivers in the first place is because his radical daughter makes him feel guilty about it. And even the core tragedy of the novel, the loss of his daughter, is framed as how terrible it is that she will not return to this loving worthless existence the protagonist leads.

The American Pastoral the character yearns for is just so soulless and ugly that it makes me loathe the supposed loss the protagonist suffers.

The novel is so genuinely repulsive in its construction and ethos that I would be tempted to call it satire if there were not the strong and all-pervasive undercurrent of expecting sympathy to the stupid shithead Swede at the center on the novel.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I need to read more Phillip Roth but goddamn did I hate that book. Its about a bunch of comfortable upper middle class people being sad because the world was beginning not to bend over backwards to meet their every need. It literally eulogizes the supposed tragedy of business owners losing their money in the Newark riots. Blacks are consistently depicted as ungrateful and unskilled and deserving of their poverty. There is a scene where the protagonist is shown as foolish for keeping a factory open in the US when the rational choice would be to open a sweatshop in Latin America. The moral decision is framed in whether or not to make more money instead of whether or not being a sweatshop owner is ethical. The only reason he waivers in the first place is because his radical daughter makes him feel guilty about it. And even the core tragedy of the novel, the loss of his daughter, is framed as how terrible it is that she will not return to this loving worthless existence the protagonist leads.

The American Pastoral the character yearns for is just so soulless and ugly that it makes me loathe the supposed loss the protagonist suffers.

The novel is so genuinely repulsive in its construction and ethos that I would be tempted to call it satire if there were not the strong and all-pervasive undercurrent of expecting sympathy to the stupid shithead Swede at the center on the novel.

Those are all reasons why that book owns tho???

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ok well all I read is that The Swede is the greatest and it was some drat good writing so....

Is there a better Roth to read?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

Ok well all I read is that The Swede is the greatest and it was some drat good writing so....

Is there a better Roth to read?

I've heard Human Stain tossed around as his masterpiece. Haven't had a chance to read it though.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Read Sabbath's Theatre. It's still Roth, so it's not amazing and a lot to put up with, but it's his most complete and fearless work.

Also I when I read American Pastoral I thought it was a critique on weird patriotic optimists who have no sense of why the world is complex and lovely (it's a story about Roth's character surrogate imagining what happened to the guy in school that he admired and saw as the perfect example of Jewish integration in America).

Over time I have been less confident in my reading and maybe Roth is just a naive jerk all along.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Are you sure it's not satire flying over your head

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Are you sure it's not satire flying over your head

Yeah sure and next you are gonna tell me Swift didn't actually want to eat babies.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
The Counterlife is his best work imo

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Phillip Roth IRA

There you go a free low irony name to use in the tbb fyadlite that is coming soon.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I like both Philip and Joseph roth

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Stravinsky posted:

Phillip Roth IRA

There you go a free low irony name to use in the tbb fyadlite that is coming soon.

I recommend Super Gay Talese

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Thomas Manndingo
Jean-Paul Shartre
Brett Peeston-Ellis

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Warhammer 40,000 Novel

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The fact that our fine OP has an anime avatar really takes away from the gravitas of this thread

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

blue squares posted:

The fact that our fine OP has an anime avatar really takes away from the gravitas of this thread

Anime owns you dummy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Ahem

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

blue squares posted:

cool ad hominem bruh

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
av hominin

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Walter Whiteman

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Joyce Carol Goatese

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smoking Crow posted:

Game of Thrones is drivel. It's another Tolkien rip-off except that the author tries to justify it by being "dark and edgy." Also, why is there so much underage loving?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Thomas Manndingo
Jean-Paul Shartre
Brett Peeston-Ellis

Harold Bloom.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
How often does the thread title change?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Earnestly posted:

What do you mean, it's never changed

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Earnestly posted:

An endless sequence of gbs-sourced mods keep thinking of the same relaly funny joke, and executing it, I'd have to imagine

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's a controversial stance but I'm gonna say it: both variations of the thread title are good advice.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I've never hosed a child: should I start now?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Literature thread. Light of my life, fire of my loins.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i found some real lit for this thread:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

Where are those parents who want to ban books when you need em?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

Don't do this here

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Its just gonna cause a bunch of pearl clutching that's not entertaining

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Literature thread. Light of my life, fire of my loins.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I finished Even Cowgirls Get the Blues a few days ago and I didn't really like it. A lot of it was interesting and I enjoyed the central narrative but it seemed to me that the author was infatuated with himself and found himself endlessly clever which really took away from my enjoyment of the novel.

After that I started Bleeding Edge and I'm about halfway through. It seems somewhat like a second draft of Inherent Vice which isn't a terrible thing - I'm impressed at how much Pynchon gets about the era he's writing about, especially stuff like the vending machine only Pokemon cards. One minor quibble - he mentions Final Fantasy X which came out right around the period he's writing about in Japan but not in the US so I assume he's referring to the Japanese release.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I really hope somebody was fired for that blunder

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I only hope Thomas Pynchon did his own research because the idea of him playing a final fantasy game is very funny to me

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I only hope Thomas Pynchon did his own research because the idea of him playing a final fantasy game is very funny to me

I am 100% sure that not only did he play FFX, that he also played Metal Gear Solid and watched DBZ not for research, but because that's the kind of guy he is.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Mel Mudkiper posted:

His son was born in 1991 and would have been square in the target demographic for Pokemon, DBZ and Final Fantasy during the time Bleeding Edge is set in. I haven't read it though so I don't know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

I really hope somebody was fired for that blunder

Hahahaha