Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jedit posted:

Then your mistake was not trashing your Estates.

There are literally quadrillions of kingdoms where this isn't possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
There is a quiet satisfaction one gets from perfectly organizing a game's components neatly in various plano. Sleeved up every card for Relic and the two expansions (600 mini-cards) and have them all organized in their own plastic container. All the counters are in their own seperate mini-container that can be put off to the side for easy player access. Perfect.

.... unless they release an expansion that adds a new deck or something, because that would gently caress everything. Inevitable I'm sure. :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dre2Dee2 posted:

There is a quiet satisfaction one gets from perfectly organizing a game's components neatly in various plano. Sleeved up every card for Relic and the two expansions (600 mini-cards) and have them all organized in their own plastic container. All the counters are in their own seperate mini-container that can be put off to the side for easy player access. Perfect.

.... unless they release an expansion that adds a new deck or something, because that would gently caress everything. Inevitable I'm sure. :v:

I'm planning on sleeving the small cards for both Pictomania and Dungeon Lords, and I'm super paranoid that they're not going to fit in their boxes afterwards :ohdear:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zveroboy posted:

Just to steer the conversation in a new direction suddenly:

Something I really like about being a part of the board gaming hobby is just how active the trading & selling community is. Last month someone bought Cosmic Encounter off me only 6 minutes after I listed it on Facebook. I decided last week that, since there are no new games on my wishlist, I'd instead focus on getting some expansions for my favourite games, especially Dominion for which I only own Hinterlands so far. This evening someone put Dominion: Prosperity up for sale which I snapped up, and even better he lives like 3 miles from where I work so i can go round tomorrow and pick it up, no waiting for delivery!

I've had a fair amount of luck on BGG. You just have to ignore the constant trade offers from people who are trying to rip you off (either deliberately or accidentally because they don't know a game is out of print or something).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

My experience with BBG trade is that someone contacted me out of the blue about buying one of my copies of an 18XX game. Since I hadn't listed it, I asked him what he was willing to pay, and he named a figure that was twice what I payed originally for the game. I got the game packaged up, contacted him again and he said that he had already found a cheaper copy, in better condition, near to where he lived. The guy named his own price and then claimed it was too high :psyduck:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I think I had a similar experience the last time I played Settlers of Catan.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
So I played Pictomania the other night, which I'd describe as a cross between Galaxy Trucker and Pictionary.

It was fun, but has the same 'problem' (or design philosophy I guess) as Galaxy Trucker, where the fastest players are much more highly rewarded than the slower players. Some clues can be much more abstract and difficult to illustrate than other clues, and if you are spending 30 seconds drawing your clue while others spend 5 or 10 seconds, you're probably not going to be taking away many points even if you guess 100% accurately, which led some players to feel like they were dealt out of the round by having difficult clues. The game itself is completely frantic of course and even if you enjoy it, you probably won't be up for another game right away, but it was unique and enjoyable.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's a Vlaadagame I'll be buying because it's too intense for new gamers, and more experienced gamers probably want something more strategy-focused than a Pictionary retheme.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, the point of the game is to be fast but still draw well enough for others to guess your picture. That's not a problem with it, that's the whole defining aspect of it. Like, that mechanic IS THE GAME. Also, you can look around while drawing, which adds to the fun of it. It definitely leads to multiple plays in one session because it's so quick. It's super easy for beginners too.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, the point of the game is to be fast but still draw well enough for others to guess your picture. That's not a problem with it, that's the whole defining aspect of it. Like, that mechanic IS THE GAME. Also, you can look around while drawing, which adds to the fun of it. It definitely leads to multiple plays in one session because it's so quick. It's super easy for beginners too.

The difference between the fastest and slowest players, even if you drew and guessed accurately, really left the slower players at the table feeling sour though. It's like when you play Galaxy Trucker with newbies, who walk away with a handful of credits while you're rolling in huge piles of credits and they feel like their own efforts aren't being rewarded.

True, that's the game, but I don't think I know enough people that really enjoy that kind of thing to get it to the table regularly.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
EDIT: Nevermind, I can't read.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bobvonunheil posted:

The difference between the fastest and slowest players, even if you drew and guessed accurately, really left the slower players at the table feeling sour though. It's like when you play Galaxy Trucker with newbies, who walk away with a handful of credits while you're rolling in huge piles of credits and they feel like their own efforts aren't being rewarded.

True, that's the game, but I don't think I know enough people that really enjoy that kind of thing to get it to the table regularly.

It's pretty easy to take the sting out of that in Galaxy Trucker. Just use the line from the book.

"If you have at least one credit, you win! The goal was to make money, and you did! So what if some other jokers made more?"

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if Codenames will have a realtime element to it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Eagerly awaiting for Vlaada's forthcoming real-time worker placement game, modeled after jungle speed.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think it's a Vlaadagame I'll be buying because it's too intense for new gamers, and more experienced gamers probably want something more strategy-focused than a Pictionary retheme.

As a counterpoint, it's been a huge hit with a lot of my long-time gaming friends.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tekopo posted:

Eagerly awaiting for Vlaada's forthcoming real-time worker placement game, modeled after jungle speed.

Vlaada's real time worker placement will be modeled after Crossfire, where you can physically knock other players' workers from their spaces.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Vlaada's real time worker placement will be modeled after Crossfire, where you can physically knock other players' workers from their spaces.

Still the best commercial for a boardgame ever...........even if the game wasn't good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I think Vlaada is an incredibly talented game designer, I just really don't like many of his games. They just don't click with me at all, except for Tash Kalar which is one of my favorite games. I haven't tried Mage Knight either, mostly because I've already invested the time in learning Magic Realm.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

I'm waiting for him to finally make the First Good Zombie Game.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

silvergoose posted:

I'm waiting for him to finally make the First Good Zombie Game.

I think the new mage knight expansion has undead or zombie like enemies. Don't have confirmation on that.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

taser rates posted:

As a counterpoint, it's been a huge hit with a lot of my long-time gaming friends.

In my experience, even hardcore board gamers like social drawing games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sonatinas posted:

I think the new mage knight expansion has undead or zombie like enemies. Don't have confirmation on that.

Doesn't count, I mean a real zombie game with lots of zombie minis, tons of dice, but he somehow makes it a real game.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Doesn't count, I mean a real zombie game with lots of zombie minis, tons of dice, but he somehow makes it a real game.

Maybe take mage knight mechanics and port it the old zman walking dead game? Use the dice for outbreak calculations?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Jungle Speed is a fun game so I would dig this unironically :colbert:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Jungle Speed is a fun game so I would dig this unironically :colbert:
Do you have sharp fingernails?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

silvergoose posted:

Haven't played it, but isn't Run, Fight or Die! supposed to be pretty good?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

bobvonunheil posted:

Slow players deserve to be punished

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My fiance and I have loved every game you folks have recommended. Mage Knight (less so, a bit too mathy/planny for her), Mice & Mystics, all the D&D adventure games, even arkham horror if we got the evening free... we've been having lot's of fun. Only problem is sometimes we're loving ragged tired from the kids and the thought of setting up taking a lot of time, reading a bunch of text (M&M....) and a game of whatever lasting a long time means we don't bother. Is there something that captures the general rpg-lite experience of games like that with a light setup and "quick" play-time? I understand there are limitations of how quick a game like that can be, and I'm sure there would be a loss of depth, but sometimes you just want to drink a beer and crawl a dungeon and stab a dude.

The game that is literally perfect for you is Claustrophobia which for some goddamn reason dwells in this thread's blind spot.

It's a perfect, 45 minute adversarial dungeon-crawl and it rules.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

bobvonunheil posted:

Stop playing with people who have AP. It'll make your boardgaming experience much richer.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The game that is literally perfect for you is Claustrophobia which for some goddamn reason dwells in this thread's blind spot.

It's a perfect, 45 minute adversarial dungeon-crawl and it rules.

Considering how often Claustrophobia has been recommended in this thread, I don't really understand how that's a blindspot.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, an adversarial game doesn't really match what they had been playing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

bobvonunheil posted:

So I played Pictomania the other night, which I'd describe as a cross between Galaxy Trucker and Pictionary.

It was fun, but has the same 'problem' (or design philosophy I guess) as Galaxy Trucker, where the fastest players are much more highly rewarded than the slower players. Some clues can be much more abstract and difficult to illustrate than other clues, and if you are spending 30 seconds drawing your clue while others spend 5 or 10 seconds, you're probably not going to be taking away many points even if you guess 100% accurately, which led some players to feel like they were dealt out of the round by having difficult clues. The game itself is completely frantic of course and even if you enjoy it, you probably won't be up for another game right away, but it was unique and enjoyable.

I have two Minority Reports from recent-ish gaming. First, haven't had anyone be interested in playing Pictomania. Don't own it but was sorta looking for an excuse to pick it up maybe, but want to line up 3+ players first.

"Everyone draws and guesses at the same time" seems to sum it up for me but so far anyone who hears that goes "eh..." :effort:

The other is that I don't see how a 7 Wonders turn should take more than 5-15 seconds :goleft:

Oh and I got to learn and play Viticulture, I can independently verify it is a super chill game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
FTC goes after failed Kickstarter

For those of you outside the US, the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) is the government authority who regulates trade. In doing that, they go after a lot of fraud cases. Interesting that the board game hobby is the first to be targeted by them. I personally am happy its happening, there is too much bullshit out there on Kickstarter and some of these people need to understand that fraud can get them into a lot of trouble.

It's also interesting to note that only 32% of game Kickstarters fund. Maybe getting back to traditional publishing might be better for the hobby as a whole.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

quote:

When "The Doom That Came to Atlantic City" hit Kickstarter in May 2012, it looked like a solid investment. Players would take the role of the Great Old Ones, the otherworldly villains of popular horror writer H.P. Lovecraft's mythos, as they wreaked havoc on Atlantic City on a board that closely resembled Monopoly.

lmao

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Houses have become investments, now boardgames have become investments. Pouring my life savings into buying mint copies of Napoleon's Triumph as we speak.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Houses have become investments, now boardgames have become investments. Pouring my life savings into buying mint copies of Napoleon's Triumph as we speak.

I've got some copies of that for sale but i'm going to need the money in advance and I may not actually deliver the items.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sloober posted:

I've got some copies of that for sale but i'm going to need the money in advance and I may not actually deliver the items.
Sounds like a good deal! Do I have any protection if anything doesn't go to plan? I hope not, because that would signify a loser mentality.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have two Minority Reports from recent-ish gaming. First, haven't had anyone be interested in playing Pictomania. Don't own it but was sorta looking for an excuse to pick it up maybe, but want to line up 3+ players first.

"Everyone draws and guesses at the same time" seems to sum it up for me but so far anyone who hears that goes "eh..." :effort:

The other is that I don't see how a 7 Wonders turn should take more than 5-15 seconds :goleft:

Pictomania is really good. It's just that people remember Pictionary dragging the gently caress out and having long downtimes, and because of that remember that the game sucks (which it does). You need to soften people up with "remember that time you drew that horse with five legs and everyone knew it was Ron Jeremy" or something, and convince them that drawing really badly is really fun, and only then do you bring out how it's mechanically brilliant. You want the party game feel to sell the game, not the tight mechanics basically.

And yes, people are way too slow in 7 Wonders. I usually pick the fastest in any group, and I still win more than my fair share (because I can read my neighbours)

A game with Chtulhu and well-known elements sounds like nerdbait, and thus a good investment (but a bad game).

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Do you have sharp fingernails?

knuckles of steel

GrandpaPants posted:

Stop playing with people who have AP. It'll make your boardgaming experience much richer.

You can also enact a turn clock. If someone gets locked up in AP, set a clock for a minute for a "final answer" for turn action. If time still expires, make an action for them quickly, and then either let them finish out the rest of their remaining turn if there are still things can do or force a pass. I find it helps in certain games and will get people to move faster. Just be cool about it. :)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

But what if I'm the one with AP? I mean, I just squint at the board until the stress drives me to tears, but I wonder what other people do.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I haven't played pictomania with anyone who didn't enjoy it, from non-gamers to hardcore gamers to strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tekopo posted:

You should check out the magic thread, there is full on market manipulation of the highest caliber libertarian wet dream there. A card I got for 20 bux when it was printed in 2011 sold for over 300 for 4 of them. One card sold, released in a current mtg set, for 14,000 dollars at an ebay auction.

There are literal groups that buy out cards that have a good showing in a tournament and the price can more than quintuple overnight.

I know magic is its own special little thing in the trad game world, but if this is a trend at all, I highly welcome increased regulation and governmental oversight.