Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Scandalous posted:

There is a mod to grant this very wish which switches the stats, level requirements and armour class of the Griffin and Bear sets. There's also an additional optional file to swap the stats for the Bear and Cat sets instead. It's pretty cool.

shouldn't enable these people

Griffin armour actually looks like medium armour. Ursine armour looks ok but way too heavy for monster fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I did the doppler thief quest and was surprised that, when the doppler duplicated Geralt's form, he also duplicated Geralt's magical powers. Should dopplers have that capability? Or did this doppler perhaps have magical training?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Gilganixon posted:

shouldn't enable these people

Griffin armour actually looks like medium armour. Ursine armour looks ok but way too heavy for monster fighting.
If it wasn't for the garish colours I'd be happy to stick with Griffin

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I love how medium armor includes a realistically proportioned breastplate. It's awesome enough that I'll probably switch to a sign build even though I usually prefer swords and alchemy.

I don't understand the fat witcher complaints at all.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

It's awesome enough that I'll probably switch to a sign build even though I usually prefer swords and alchemy.
I'm at the point where I'm fighting the titular enemies some now and honestly Signs feels fairly underwhelming. They can't be set alight with Igni, Aard only occasionally staggers them, Axii's Puppet usually makes them just wave their weapons threateningly at their allies and then wears off pretty quick.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

KPC_Mammon posted:

I love how medium armor includes a realistically proportioned breastplate. It's awesome enough that I'll probably switch to a sign build even though I usually prefer swords and alchemy.

I don't understand the fat witcher complaints at all.

Just about every armor I come across makes Geralt look like he's got a beer belly. Nothing has looked as good as the starter armor. Is there any armor that's more like that?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best looking armours are probably the two DLC ones, but they're utter garbage for longevity.

All games should have a glamour system.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Aurain posted:

The best looking armours are probably the two DLC ones, but they're utter garbage for longevity.

All games should have a glamour system.

For real, I love the medieval/samurai thing Geralt has going on with the beginning armor set, but it's poo poo for protection after the first segment.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Codependent Poster posted:

Just about every armor I come across makes Geralt look like he's got a beer belly. Nothing has looked as good as the starter armor. Is there any armor that's more like that?

Ursine and Feline (when upgraded) Witcher sets both look awesome.

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 11, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Bottom tier cat looks best, I wanna roll a pack of lucky strikes into the sleeve

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Bottom tier cat looks best, I wanna roll a pack of lucky strikes into the sleeve

Tell your pals to let us glamour this stuff, Comte. Witchering is important, but so is ~fashion~.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah, beginning cat gear rules, and really made the novigrad quests more enjoyable.

Also that was an insanely interesting quest.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So how does this game compare to like Oblivion and Skyrim?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

Outside of the inevitable open-world RPG comparison, nothing at all similar in any way, shape or form. They're not similar to each other in the least.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I'd rate it higher in pretty much every category. Story, combat, character progression... the itemization isn't bad but I do think TES games ultimately give you more flexibility though.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Aurain posted:

Outside of the inevitable open-world RPG comparison, nothing at all similar in any way, shape or form. They're not similar to each other in the least.
So if I enjoyed Skyrim/Oblivion and want something similar I should not get this game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bum the Sad posted:

It's a game that has a setting similar to Skyrim, except this game actually looks good and colorful and not poop

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

So if I enjoyed Skyrim/Oblivion and want something similar I should not get this game.

If you like games that are well written with likeable characters, genuine relationships between characters and is actually engrossing story wise, Witcher is good. That's the best reason to get a Witcher game and 3 delivers in spades there.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

every person here is just beating around the bush of saying "it's way better" which it pretty much is. pretty much the only game recently i'd advocate buying at full price

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Aurain posted:

I hate elder scrolls and love this, but come on dude. They are similar in a ton of ways, big world to explore, story with a large scope, dialogue driven quests, magic and swords and stuff. The big difference is that this game actually succeeds at its goal, ie tell an engrossing story about characters you care about in a world that feels real. Elder scrolls games don't come close to that.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Bum the Sad posted:

It's like Far Cry 3/4 with swords and no radio towers.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
If your favorite part of Skyrim was exploring a big open world, this game does that far better. There's more to see and do, more of it is genuinely meaningful, and it rarely feels repetitive. You can just wander around for days and stumble onto interesting hand-crafted stuff.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

Bum the Sad posted:

I'd say it's more similar to Mass Effect or Dragon Age games, Skyrim is very light on plot and characterization and is mostly about the open world exploration and dungeon diving.

To me the best facets of Witcher 3 are the characterization and world-building. Not necessarily the main over-arching plot, which is pretty generic fantasy stuff. What carries the game is how well they've written, voiced, and animated every line of dialogue from every dirty peasant and the wide cast of secondary characters. The game is gorgeous, the combat is decent but fairly divisive in that a minority of players get really frustrated by it, or it takes a bit to "click" for some. The open-world exploration is great because there are quests and mini-quests and grim (occasionally charming) interactions absolutely everywhere. Actually grinding experience, leveling up, and that sort of character progression is slow and not terribly rewarding.

Relative to Skyrim and Oblivion since you mentioned those specifically, Witcher has a lot fewer and smaller dungeons. The overworld is more densely populated with monsters, villages, and quests than TES games, but one thing I was a bit disappointed in was the lack of dungeon diving. That is literally the only weakness I can think of and in all other aspects. The writing, world-building, and characters are not even in the same league and I think most would agree Witcher has better combat.

Edit: basically this game has VAST amounts more dialogue and quest content than TES games and it is all actually meaningful and well-done.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 11, 2015

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I always felt that I should be pouring drinks for some biker dive bar with the bottom tier Cat armour.

EDIT:Or go all out Fonzie with everyone I meet.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 11, 2015

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The witcher's world definitely does seem more real. In TES games I run around everywhere, because why not, it's just a game filled with dumb npcs and I'm trying to get from point A to point B.

In the witcher, I find myself switching to walk mode just to look around for herbs / admire the scenery. The forests actually look like real forests. In the villages I walk around too, because they're small anyway and running around in them makes me feel like a dumb asswipe. I actually care because the peasants are pretty cool.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
The only thing Skyrim has on Witcher 3 is the player character doesn't control like a retarded tank, also, it's first person, which is better. Witcher 3 has better environments, enemy variety, combat, characters, character progression, plot, etc

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I've levied plenty of criticism against the combat in this game but it's like 10 times better than any elder scrolls game's combat.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
One of the best aspects of W3 is the writing, comparing it to Skyrim or Far Cry 3 of all things is just silly.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The movement and combat kind of remind me of old MGS games in that they aren't really responsive and seem more focused on making the animations look good and maintaining the dignity of the character or something.

Doesn't really look good when you spend 20 seconds running circles around your horse trying to mount him or swimming directly into the ground, though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bum the Sad posted:

You will like this game if you like skyrim, however the combat is in general more difficult and more involved (until you outlevel things/are on death march) and it involves more dialogue and storytelling. Otherwise you get to explore an open world with caves and small dungeons (4/5 rooms really), get fancy new swords and armor, and do tons of sidequests.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

radiatinglines posted:

The witcher's world definitely does seem more real. In TES games I run around everywhere, because why not, it's just a game filled with dumb npcs and I'm trying to get from point A to point B.

In the witcher, I find myself switching to walk mode just to look around for herbs / admire the scenery. The forests actually look like real forests. In the villages I walk around too, because they're small anyway and running around in them makes me feel like a dumb asswipe. I actually care because the peasants are pretty cool.

also you don't want to run into a monster nest and get your poo poo pushed in before you can react

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Awesome. I'm sold, I dig big open world exploring.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

TES animation and movement philosophy: we can't animate the footwork for your character stepping back and to the left six inches, so we'll just make him slide magically on the ground which looks goofy but takes you where you want to go.

Witcher animation and movement philosophy: we can't animate the footwork for your character stepping back and to the left six inches, so we'll just give your character the turning radius of a guy on a unicycle and you'll have to make a few passes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

radiatinglines posted:

TES animation and movement philosophy: we can't animate the footwork for your character stepping back and to the left six inches, so we'll just make him slide magically on the ground which looks goofy but takes you where you want to go.

Witcher animation and movement philosophy: we can't animate the footwork for your character stepping back and to the left six inches, so we'll just give your character the turning radius of a guy on a unicycle and you'll have to make a few passes.

the movement is definitely one of the biggest strikes against the game, along with the inventory system being hot garbage.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Now, now, folks. Let us not forget how unintuitive Skyrim's UI was until SkyUI came along. The Witcher 3 as an actual narrative experience and thing to play is better than Skyrim in every single way. Full stop. I've put 120+ hours into Skyrim and maybe 40 into Witcher 3 and the Witcher just handles everything so much more deftly, with such greater sophistication and maturity, that it makes Skyrim look like a pedantic teenager's fever dream whilst he plays with dragon action figures. Seriously.

Even nonsense throw-away sidequests in Witcher 3 are more adult and meaty than even Skyrim's main quest.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Weird, I don't find the movement clunky at all. I must have either not played any games with proper movement recently, or played something that was bad enough to make this seem good. Not disputing the clunkiness, I just find it curious. I really like that it has some weight to it.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

If anyone else is having trouble getting Nekker hearts, there are a bunch of Nekker nests east of Reardon Manor.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

lmao

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

If your favorite part of Skyrim was exploring a big open world, this game does that far better.

To me it was the opposite. The Witcher is better at direct storytelling with cutscenes and whatnot, but exploration gameplay doesn't really have anything to it at all. Almost every marker on the map is just a monster, a bandit group, a chest of diagrams that take 2 minutes to deal with if that. (Granted it's entertaining in a collect them all way, to a point)

On Skyrim one marker could take you through a whole underground city with it's own story going on. To me that kind of thing still makes it the greatest RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Now, now, folks. Let us not forget how unintuitive Skyrim's UI was until SkyUI came along. The Witcher 3 as an actual narrative experience and thing to play is better than Skyrim in every single way. Full stop. I've put 120+ hours into Skyrim and maybe 40 into Witcher 3 and the Witcher just handles everything so much more deftly, with such greater sophistication and maturity, that it makes Skyrim look like a pedantic teenager's fever dream whilst he plays with dragon action figures. Seriously.

Even nonsense throw-away sidequests in Witcher 3 are more adult and meaty than even Skyrim's main quest.

This is especially egregious when you get to Skellige which is literally Witcher hitting all the Skyrim aesthetic notes and it doing (personally, anyway) a much better job with it. And I loved Skyrim.

It is a bit of a crying shame though that for all the expanse of the game we don't fight any dragons. Ok, we fight a "dragon" in one contract. That's not a real dragon :colbert: I guess one dragon in Witcher 2 will have to do for the series' Dragon Quotient.