Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Apologies for lovely photos, will take them again with a real camera when I have it back. Just did a quick look through:

Bow 2337:

Bow 2304:

Bow 2300:

Companion Piece:

There were two others on display that were less ornate but I'll need to go with a real camera to get shots of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
In which direction does that thing shoot? It looks strange either way.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

tonberrytoby posted:

The direction the ends are pointing now. When it's strung it looks kinda like this: Þ. The middle gets bent a lot and the ends stay kind of straight.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

tonberrytoby posted:

Mostly forwards

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

xthetenth posted:

The direction the ends are pointing now. When it's strung it looks kinda like this: Þ. The middle gets bent a lot and the ends stay kind of straight.
So, when it is strung it looks like a normal recurve bow?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Does the museum list where those bows were stolen liberated from?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

Does the museum list where those bows were stolen liberated from?

Well, if you read the catalogue entries, a lot of them list Lucknow. The collection of armours and arms from India is vast, but it's largely swords and armour from the Punjab. They have, for example, the swords of Tipu Sultan and Ranjit Singh.

African pieces had a very :black101: plaque:

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 11, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Imperialism for charity. Oh those whacky Victorians.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Disinterested posted:

Apologies for lovely photos, will take them again with a real camera when I have it back. Just did a quick look through:

Bow 2337:

Bow 2304:

Bow 2300:

Companion Piece:

There were two others on display that were less ornate but I'll need to go with a real camera to get shots of them.

Fine. The item description is complete bogus. Parthian shape. Whalebone. My rear end. It's like they display a longsword and label it "Gladius shape"

2304 is a weird persian design of doubtful performance, it's strung in the opposite direction ofc. The steel bows were kept strung so long that they kept the braced shape. The decoration on these is usually very well made. The Companion Piece probably hints the shape that braced crab bows had. We have no paintings that show how they looked when fully drawn.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

Fine. The item description is complete bogus. Parthian shape. Whalebone. My rear end. It's like they display a longsword and label it "Gladius shape"

The catalogues for these items are very old, it should be said, and unlike the popular European pieces (the armours) they don't have newer item descriptions in the cases.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Naturally.

The metalworking is exceedingly good though. Everything is totally over the top, way beyond usefulness. Perfect example for costly signaling theory.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

Naturally.

The metalworking is exceedingly good though. Everything is totally over the top, way beyond usefulness. Perfect example for costly signaling theory.

You should see how ornate some of the crossbows, muskets and powder horns are in the collection

Ridiculous

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Oh btw, thumbrings would also be on display. Take pics of them.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

"Geluesten lassen," so kind of? "Covet," "want to," "let themselves want to." I'm actually working right now on a chapter about how mercenaries think about their emotions, and I think it's exactly as you say: having what these people regard as normal human impulses is like walking around with a firearm on a hair-trigger, and you need to "pay attention to yourself" (they say this a lot) in order not to do something unfortunate. This "attention" isn't like "self-control," it's way more...reactive. Ideally, you notice a feeling and react to it, rather than controlling yourself so you don't have those feelings. It reminds me of the way early modern justice works--they can't prevent crime, or even catch most of it, but the people they do catch are made an example of with flamboyantly terrible punishments.

What is a mercenary? A miserable little pile of impulses. But enough talk...Have at you!

I imagine the constant state of inebriation plays a big part in this state of mind.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Disinterested posted:

You should see how ornate some of the crossbows, muskets and powder horns are in the collection

Ridiculous

It's the Early Modern equivalent of those ridiculously tacky golden AKs with saints on them the police always roll out after a drug bust.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ArchangeI posted:

It's the Early Modern equivalent of those ridiculously tacky golden AKs with saints on them the police always roll out after a drug bust.

Of course, from our modern perspective we treat them as works of exquisite art deserving of being put in a museum.

I imagine that in 400-500 years, the Lord of War gold-plated AK will be behind glass with a plaque detailing its origin.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

As you can see for Hegel's era, the guns can be as ridiculous as the outfits:

http://wallacelive.wallacecollectio...sp=F&sp=T&sp=46
http://wallacelive.wallacecollectio...sp=F&sp=T&sp=47

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Your links are dead, bro.

Disinterested posted:

Ridiculous

Well?

(These own! Thank you!)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gerald Bull was a Canadian artillery expert that worked on Project HARP, which stood for High Altitude Research Project. The aim of the project was to explore the possibility of using very large guns to shoot objects into space. The project ran from 1961 to 1966. The Project HARP gun was a 16-inch (410 mm) US Navy gun that was modified to a barrel length of 40m.

After Project HARP, Bull eventually found himself in the employ of Saddam Hussein, who wanted him to build similar superguns, under the codename Project Babylon. They got as far as "Baby Babylon", which was a prototype that had an range of about 750 km. That wouldn't have been enough to reach Israel from where it was placed. Baby Babylon had a bore of 350 mm and a barrel that was 46 meters long.

The next planned gun, Big Babylon, was supposed to have been a true "space gun" - it was larger than both Baby Babylon and the gun that Bull worked with during Project HARP. It's unclear what this gun might have been used for though, because while it most likely would have been able to achieve its goal of hurling satellites into space, that would not have had any direct military applications.

This Big Babylon gun would have had a bore of 1 meter and a barrel that was 156 meters long.

Bull was assassinated in March 1990, possibly by Mossad, and these works were not advanced nor completed until ultimately the project materials were dismantled and confiscated by UN inspectors after the Gulf War.

At the time the theory was that Saddam wanted to be able to shell Europe or the US (possible with WMDs!) as a deterrent, rather than put stuff into space. Kind of like North Korea didn't get regime changed in the last decade or two because they have nukes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Kind of like North Korea didn't get regime changed in the last decade or two because they have nukes.
Its more likely that there is nothing there worth aggregating China over.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Murgos posted:

South Korea isn't real interested in dealing with them either.

North Korea exists because it's such a quagmire of human misery that nobody wants to wade in and claim it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Murgos posted:

Its not totally that or they wouldnt have been part of the 'axis of evil' in the first place. Their nukes have definitely gotten them special treatment.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

HEY GAL posted:

"Geluesten lassen," so kind of? "Covet," "want to," "let themselves want to." I'm actually working right now on a chapter about how mercenaries think about their emotions, and I think it's exactly as you say: having what these people regard as normal human impulses is like walking around with a firearm on a hair-trigger, and you need to "pay attention to yourself" (they say this a lot) in order not to do something unfortunate. This "attention" isn't like "self-control," it's way more...reactive. Ideally, you notice a feeling and react to it, rather than controlling yourself so you don't have those feelings. It reminds me of the way early modern justice works--they can't prevent crime, or even catch most of it, but the people they do catch are made an example of with flamboyantly terrible punishments.

What is a mercenary? A miserable little pile of impulses. But enough talk...Have at you!

Does it make me a bad person if I think that sounds a lot more relatable than the idea that you're never supposed to think bad thoughts? I mean, sure, your subjects seem like they're pretty bad at impulse control, but at least they acknowledge that the impulse exists.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

tonberrytoby posted:

Front towards enemy?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

verybad posted:

Does it make me a bad person if I think that sounds a lot more relatable than the idea that you're never supposed to think bad thoughts? I mean, sure, your subjects seem like they're pretty bad at impulse control, but at least they acknowledge that the impulse exists.
Oh, they're terrible at impulse control. But it is really refreshing to me that most of them aren't hypocrites and they're really bad at lying. What you see with these guys is what you get. There's a grimy kind of nobility there.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Can't believe I missed the Taiping Tianguo effortposts until just now. These are awesome P-Mack! I know a decent amount about the Rebellion but not really from a military history perspective, more the religious side and their interactions with British and American missionaries which isn't really the focus of this thread. I think you touched on this but contemporary Western coverage of the Taiping is really interesting because of the conflicting motives of missionaries and state powers. There's an editorial from an English newspaper in Shanghai after the war which espouses the British position that "despite the persistent claims of certain naive agitators (read: missionaries), the rebellion was clearly not religious (read: Christian) in character after all, and so the British military was justified in allying with the Qing to stamp them out even though lots of people asked us to side with the rebels". Lots of missionaries went to visit Nanjing thinking they could convert the rebels to their brand of Protestantism and kick off a Christian China, but they were inevitably turned off by how big the theological differences actually were. IMO the attitude of missionaries presages the American relationship with the Republic of China during the civil war and WW2 in some ways, especially the public enchantment with Chiang Kai-Shek's wife Soong May-Ling as a charming and thoroughly westernized Christian woman and the future of China.

I'm looking forward to the Marxist historiography post, especially from Chinese sources because for a long time (maybe still today?) the official academic position on the rebellion depended on the current political push by the state in contemporary politics, where the Taiping were kind of a cipher for discussing the Communist revolution in general. It's also funny because of how insistently it denies the religious character of a movement whose leader's legitimacy derived from being the literal son of God, because historical materialism means no one would actually care about that :rolleye:

Have you ever read God's Chinese Son P-Mack? That's the source I know best, I haven't read the more recent book Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom yet but it's apparently a really solid book that looks more at how the Rebellion related to Western powers.

Frostwerks posted:

It's 3 kingdoms era but do any of you chinese enthusiasts know anything about the stone sentinel maze?

I know that it was and is a very popular literary symbol of Zhuge Liang's genius and Taoist sorcery in classical Chinese culture. There is an actual rock formation you can visit today that some people think is the ruins of the historical maze. Most accounts of the story emphasize magical elements, the idea being that Zhuge Liang placed the boulders of the maze in a powerful occult formation so that it would cause a storm when the enemy army entered. The incident is not mentioned in the Records of the Three Kingdoms, a relatively trustworthy (but also quite bland) source on the period, so make of that what you will.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

It's a bad day to be a civilian, but a good day to be a coffee grinder. Civilians in Galicia are catching it hard as the Russians thoroughly panic in the face of the Gorlice-Tarnow Offensive, the Jews unsurprisingly copping it worst of all. And it's being paired today with some stories from the Armenian genocide. Kenneth Best does his bit to lighten the mood by describing a macabre variation on the trench shooting competition, and a Royal Engineers major is the latest BEF man to go into Ypres to confiscate vital war materiel (cooking-stoves, coffee-grinders, etc) before it can be destroyed or captured by the enemy. Oh, and someone appears to have put Herbert Asquith's holiday snaps into a highly amusing place in the newspaper.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Kellsterik posted:

Can't believe I missed the Taiping Tianguo effortposts until just now. These are awesome P-Mack! I know a decent amount about the Rebellion but not really from a military history perspective, more the religious side and their interactions with British and American missionaries which isn't really the focus of this thread. I think you touched on this but contemporary Western coverage of the Taiping is really interesting because of the conflicting motives of missionaries and state powers. There's an editorial from an English newspaper in Shanghai after the war which espouses the British position that "despite the persistent claims of certain naive agitators (read: missionaries), the rebellion was clearly not religious (read: Christian) in character after all, and so the British military was justified in allying with the Qing to stamp them out even though lots of people asked us to side with the rebels". Lots of missionaries went to visit Nanjing thinking they could convert the rebels to their brand of Protestantism and kick off a Christian China, but they were inevitably turned off by how big the theological differences actually were. IMO the attitude of missionaries presages the American relationship with the Republic of China during the civil war and WW2 in some ways, especially the public enchantment with Chiang Kai-Shek's wife Soong May-Ling as a charming and thoroughly westernized Christian woman and the future of China.
There were some missonaries who made more positive appraisals, but there were certainly enough negative ones that the British authorities could cite as needed for justification. I'm reading Teng Ssu-yu's Taiping Rebellion and the Western Powers and he makes a case that the missionaries tended to follow their respective government's policies more than they influenced them- when it looked like the Taipings might win, then they just needed foreign missionaries to straighten out their theology. Then, when things looked dire for the rebels, they were fake Christians who needed to be stomped, after which foreign missionaries could bring real Christianity. Have you read Boardman's Christian Influence upon the Ideology of the Taiping Rebellion? He gives the Taiping some poo poo about not being real Christians since they ignored the bits about love and mercy- which would certainly be an interesting litmus test if it were applied to Europeans as well.

Kellsterik posted:

I'm looking forward to the Marxist historiography post, especially from Chinese sources because for a long time (maybe still today?) the official academic position on the rebellion depended on the current political push by the state in contemporary politics, where the Taiping were kind of a cipher for discussing the Communist revolution in general. It's also funny because of how insistently it denies the religious character of a movement whose leader's legitimacy derived from being the literal son of God, because historical materialism means no one would actually care about that :rolleye:
Yeah, my understanding is that the Taiping got used a lot to discuss revolutionary concepts without getting shipped off to a reeducation camp. I was googling something else and came across the story of a playwright who put together a hagiographical play about Li Xiucheng, which was a super safe move politically. While he's working on it, the official historical stance shifts to considering Li's confession to be a treacherous betrayal of the movement (this may coincide with the unedited text being discovered.) So the playwright abruptly finds himself in pretty deep poo poo.

Kellsterik posted:

Have you ever read God's Chinese Son P-Mack? That's the source I know best, I haven't read the more recent book Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom yet but it's apparently a really solid book that looks more at how the Rebellion related to Western powers.

Yeah, Spence is probably the first book I'd recommend, since the other general surveys in English, while excellent, are 40 years old and chock full of Wade-Giles. Platt is good too, since his limited scope of the second half of the war allows for a lot more detail.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I was just idly wondering how segregation in the US Army used to work, as you do, so of course I went to Wikipedia and found one of the best things I've found on there in a long, long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_segregation_in_the_United_States_Armed_Forces

The whole page is a masterpiece of half-arsing the half of an arse that was there already, but the clear highlight of the thing:

:bravo: I could spend weeks being sarcastic about that.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 13, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Ah yes, those European American Union officers.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Needs more citations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Wikipedia is where knowledge goes to die.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ah yes, those European American Union officers.
:911: Pea Ridge never5get :911:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

At least the lazy bastards could have written "The United States Navy is a navy" to be consistent.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mildly irritated that for once I had this all ready to go on Saturday at 10am, and then the dratted forums fell over until after I had to go out :argh:

100 Years Ago

Today we're paying short visits to Second Artois and the BEF's latest wizzo idea (it's actually not that bad, something does need to be done). However, the meat of today is with Louis Barthas, as we get to see that much as he likes to complain about everything, as a corporal he does have a very strong sense of duty and responsibility to the men of his squad. He may hate officers and their stupid orders, but he'll continue to soldier, protect his men, and get them through the madness as best he can.

Unfortunately, today his best may not be good enough...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Presumably you wouldn't be shooting straight up, but rather at a sideways angle that would give it enough horizontal velocity to achieve most of a proper orbit. Put some stubby wings on it and it'd be basically an unpowered spaceplane.

Presumably your maximum muzzle velocity is limited to the propagation speed of the propellant. Is this high enough to achieve orbit?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I imagine being one of the very few officers Barthas' liked and reading his memoirs would be a really :smug: moment

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

I imagine being one of the very few officers Barthas' liked and reading his memoirs would be a really :smug: moment

Unfortunately, they weren't published until fairly recently.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

French publication was in 1978, so it's unlikely but not impossible. (He and the good Captain Hudelle knew each other through both being gigantic raving socialists in Peyriac.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what are some good examples of weapons or general events in military history that were really ahead of their time?

• Locked thread