Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any good resources for learning the accordion online? There are no teachers in my city. I have the Palmer-Hughs series and a Mel Bay book (which I'm not the biggest fan of), but after that I'm lacking.

I'll take whatever sources will help me get better. I would love a course, if at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Is covering Rick James Problematic???

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

juche mane posted:

Is covering Rick James Problematic???

Covering the Pointer Sisters should be Automatic

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Would this be an appropriate forum section to talk about live sound? I have been doing the sound guy gig for 6 years now and have dealt with a lot of equipment.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Go for it, it's the most closely related forum you'll find on the site and we get very little traffic in here so anything is welcome.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yes please talk to us about anything we're so lonely.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Does anyone know anything about live sound here? Maybe someone could post about that?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Does anyone know anything about live sound here? Maybe someone could post about that?

What would you like to know about it?

Don't let the monitors feed back, and if someone's name is also in the band name, make sure their mic is up before you screw around with anything else.

Also be really good at troubleshooting, cuz its 90% of the job. A good understanding of signal flow is 9%, actual mixing is about 1% of the job. At least until you've got some experience and aren't the only sound guy on the gig.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm converting a small suitcase into a pedalboard, and I need to put something under the pedals so it's not like putting my foot into a bucket. Plywood is my first thought, but I would hope I could get something lighter---the only problem is that anything I can think of ends up being squashable. Thoughts?

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Are there any libraries/programs capable of taking MIDI messages, modifying them/creating new messages, and spitting them out to another device?

(context: The Volca Sample uses CC messages to change the sample's pitch rather than, you know, actual notes.)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Are there any libraries/programs capable of taking MIDI messages, modifying them/creating new messages, and spitting them out to another device?

(context: The Volca Sample uses CC messages to change the sample's pitch rather than, you know, actual notes.)
This looks promising. And midi-ox, maybe?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

This looks promising. And midi-ox, maybe?

Midi-ox used to have an extension called Midi Yoke that did essentially that. Not sure if it's still functional.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Is Bjork - Alarm Call D# lydian mode?

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I just bought a harmonica. There's no teachers anywhere on the island where I live. Can anyone recommend an online course? There's several out there, but I have no idea what's good.
Note: I can't play any instrument, and I know nothing of musical theory.

Bemon Lime
Apr 21, 2007

Tell me, Kazushi Sakuraba.
Do you bleed?
I've been actively playing gigs for 7 or so years. Mostly in all night bar room cover bands. For that long I've constantly had problem breaking my A string.(tuned in 440). I need string recommendations. I generally use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys or Heavy Bottoms. Help.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is it always on the same guitar? If so you might have a small burr or something on the nut or bridge that gradually wears through the string. If it's over several guitars it might be your playing style that eats them up quickly. I've used D'addario strings for a decade and haven't had a single break so my vote goes to them.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

I know that the marketing hype is strong, but NYXLs are really tough strings. Also, seconding the checking for burrs, run an emery cloth into the saddles to smooth them out, it never really hurts.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I also posted this in the Ableton thread but I'm not sure if it's quite right there or if it'd be a better fit here so excuse my crosspost laziness but here goes.

For a while now I've been really interested in a Launchpad S, and since that is basically just a MIDI Controller, the Ableton software that comes with it. My music background is mainly in playing keyboard when I was little and playing guitar for the past like, 20 years or so.

I've never really messed around with making music on the computer at all. I had a super early version of Music Maker what feels like a hundred years ago and I've recorded some guitar tracks here or there but definitely nothing that goes beyond the easiest and most basic of uses. Now I understand the Launchpad is just a MIDI Controller and getting it won't just magically turn me into a musical genius and awesome music won't just appear out of nowhere like in all those wonderful YT videos. But do you guys think a Launchpad S and the Ableton Live Launchpad Edition (whatever that is) is a good and fun start for a beginner to learn stuff?

The most work is probably in understanding and working with Ableton, regardless of what MIDI Controller (if one at all) you're using. The Launchpad just seems like a more fun way to do it than to sit here with a poopy small MIDI Keyboard to plink around on once the software is set up. I'm really tempted to just spend the money on it and see where it takes me but I also know I'm a guy who buys expensive toys and then they just sit around in a corner and collect dust because I should've learned the basics first instead of investing in some gadget that caught my attention. So any help and/or advice would be much appreciated. Help me (not?) fuel my impulse buys :v:

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As a person who also makes poorly thought out purchase decisions on shiny new toys that end up with minimal usage I feel I am qualified to provide you a response.
A couple of years back I had a similar itch and bought the Maschine software and controller, only having 8 years of guitar playing and minimal DAW experience prior to that, and I don't regret it at all and consider it to be a pivotal purchase in my musical education. I have come so far since then in writing and constructing songs and even though I haven't released anything I've still made dozens of songs and hundreds of small loops and have enjoyed every minute of it, as well as learning a shitload about production while loving around with noises.

Definitely buy it. It's easy to pick up the basics and like any instrument will take a long time to get really proficient with it, but you learn so many new skills (songwriting, arrangement, mixing, sound design etc) that it will only improve your musicianship as a whole. There are tons of online resources for Ableton, as well as youtube videos for anything you are having trouble with as well as start to finish song construction tutorials, and the software itself is really good and used by a lot of successful artists. I haven't used the launchpad but Maschine is pretty similar and the tactile feeling of button pressing gives you a closer feeling to the song when playing or composing, it can feel pretty sterile sometimes just making a song entirely with a mouse. But the clip triggering is a lot of fun and you can quickly make a four track loop of drums, bass, pads and lead and then get lost on that for hours while slathering everything in all sorts of effects, so even if you never make any full songs you can still get good usage from it.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

RandomCheese posted:

Definitely buy it. It's easy to pick up the basics and like any instrument will take a long time to get really proficient with it, but you learn so many new skills (songwriting, arrangement, mixing, sound design etc) that it will only improve your musicianship as a whole. There are tons of online resources for Ableton, as well as youtube videos for anything you are having trouble with as well as start to finish song construction tutorials, and the software itself is really good and used by a lot of successful artists. I haven't used the launchpad but Maschine is pretty similar and the tactile feeling of button pressing gives you a closer feeling to the song when playing or composing, it can feel pretty sterile sometimes just making a song entirely with a mouse. But the clip triggering is a lot of fun and you can quickly make a four track loop of drums, bass, pads and lead and then get lost on that for hours while slathering everything in all sorts of effects, so even if you never make any full songs you can still get good usage from it.

Thanks for this answer. That's exactly what I was looking for or rather hoping for when I posted my question. I already ordered it and I'm super excited. All the tutorials and videos and everything online should make learning this thing a lot more managable than just trying to teach yourself how to magically work everything sooo I think I should be pretty fine all things considered. If I ever make something worthwhile or at least not eardrum-destroying-awful I'll keep you guys posted :D

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
My google skills have completely failed me. I remember about a year ago there was a goon-made app someone posted that did timestretching and it was the best thing I've ever used for it. I just wiped my PC and now I don't have it and can't find the thread about it. I've been looking around for a replacement but everything is overkill and expensive or crappy and broken. Anyone have any suggestions for decent software? I'm mainly just using it to timestretch songs out for transcribing tricky parts.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bazanga posted:

My google skills have completely failed me. I remember about a year ago there was a goon-made app someone posted that did timestretching and it was the best thing I've ever used for it. I just wiped my PC and now I don't have it and can't find the thread about it. I've been looking around for a replacement but everything is overkill and expensive or crappy and broken. Anyone have any suggestions for decent software? I'm mainly just using it to timestretch songs out for transcribing tricky parts.

Are you thinking of BPMinus?

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

MockingQuantum posted:

Are you thinking of BPMinus?

Yep, that's the one. Thank you so much, I've been going crazy trying to find it. :dance:

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
I recently reformatted the computer I record with, and after reinstalling and setting everything up again, it's as if my computer can no longer run things that it had no problem with before. For instance, if I run just a single instance of Kontakt with Alicia's Keys (piano sampler), it cuts out notes and the "Disk" bar in the upper right hand corner goes up to the maximum. The latency of my sound card has also decreased from less than 10 ms to over 50 ms. This is preventing me from doing pretty much anything until I get it sorted out. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Things I have tried so far are: restarting, doing a memory diagnostic (6 gigs - fine), switching to the on-board windows sound card, and messing around with my DAWs options, all to no avail. A variety of google searches have been fruitless, as I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

Edit: If it matters, I'm on a Windows 7 system with a 2.8Ghz i7 and 6 gigs of ram using Studio One 2 and mostly Native Instruments vsts.

The Mystery Date fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 10, 2015

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Have a look in device manager and see if there are any exclamation marks next to anything, missing drivers could cause issues like this. Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your mainboard, either from the manufacturer website or directly from the intel/amd sites as those ones can be a bit more up to date. If you use a 3rd party SATA controller on the mainboard also ensure that those drivers are current. Same with USB drivers and even ones for your soundcard, update everything you can. Check in the BIOS to make sure drive access is configured as AHCI, it shouldn't have changed for any reason but if it's set to IDE that can cause bandwidth issues.

I haven't done a lot with latency in Windows but ASIO4ALL gets mentioned all the time with regard to input latency, it might help in your case. In the DAW options the lower the sample size is the quicker the output will be so try setting it to 64 or 128 samples and see if it changes anything.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
Edit: Just kidding, it still doesn't work.

The Mystery Date fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 10, 2015

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Double check those drivers, the default stuff is going to be whatever Windows update grabbed, Intel makes an auto detect and install utility that makes updating the board drivers nearly painless. Also double check the video drivers if you have a gaming card in there, most of them have some sort of hdmi pass through system in them for audio output that could be giving you trouble.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Mystery Date posted:

I recently reformatted the computer I record with, and after reinstalling and setting everything up again, it's as if my computer can no longer run things that it had no problem with before. For instance, if I run just a single instance of Kontakt with Alicia's Keys (piano sampler), it cuts out notes and the "Disk" bar in the upper right hand corner goes up to the maximum. The latency of my sound card has also decreased from less than 10 ms to over 50 ms. This is preventing me from doing pretty much anything until I get it sorted out. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Things I have tried so far are: restarting, doing a memory diagnostic (6 gigs - fine), switching to the on-board windows sound card, and messing around with my DAWs options, all to no avail. A variety of google searches have been fruitless, as I'm not exactly sure what to look for.

Edit: If it matters, I'm on a Windows 7 system with a 2.8Ghz i7 and 6 gigs of ram using Studio One 2 and mostly Native Instruments vsts.
What sound card and did you get proper drivers from the manufacturer? Did you plug the sound card into a usb 3 port (if applicable) and did you get the proper drivers for those? Do you have a native usb 2 port to try troubleshooting?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

The Mystery Date posted:

Go into the Power Options control panel and make sure you've got the High Performance power scheme selected. It's the only scheme that has some hidden settings that are optimal for DAW use.

Also, what model i7 do you have? With the first generation or two of the i7s, it was beneficial to disable things like turbo mode and EIST/speedstep/C-states in BIOS. But with the most recent Intel CPUs (past 3 or 4 years), it's best to just leave things at the BIOS defaults unless you're a hardcore precision overclocker who knows exactly what each feature does on your particular CPU model.

EDIT: Also, what audio interface are you using? If it's a USB interface, are you using the native ASIO drivers and have it plugged into a USB 2.0 port? USB 3 ports can be sketchy.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Mods: This is a crosspost from the electronic music thread. Please let me know if I should delete this.

Have you guys run into any unintended phase cancellation issues before when playing loops on top of each other?

I've been playing in a group with live instrumentation on top of electronic drums. These guys insist they want to be able to use it and won't learn how to use any pad apps or laptop programs, so we use a Boss RC-505.

One of our songs has a line with an 808-like kick pulsing. It goes on top of another more regular drum beat. It sounds fine over normal earphones and on the recorded version of the song, but when you play through a PA (and most of the PAs at the venues we're playing at are going mono), the volume of the regular drum beat drops and the rest of the group complains about losing their timing.

I've inverted the wav for the 808 line and also jacked up the gain on the various drum parts. I've made sure no compression setting is in place that would squash the sound. I'm not sure what else I can do. Any ideas?

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 11, 2015

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Some PA systems have inbuilt limiters, it could be getting slammed by the sub bass of the 808 and lowering everything else by comparison.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

RandomCheese posted:

Some PA systems have inbuilt limiters, it could be getting slammed by the sub bass of the 808 and lowering everything else by comparison.

That would make sense and I'll check that out. Thanks!

Do most systems allow you to turn off the limiters? Will soundguys tell me to gently caress off if I ask them to turn the limiters off?

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 11, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Brony Car posted:

That would make sense and I'll check that out. Thanks!

Do most systems allow you to turn off the limiters? Will soundguys tell me to gently caress off if I ask them to turn the limiters off?

Yes they will, they are there for a reason (the venue PA that is)

Reasons are usually because of legal noise limits or a desire to not blow up the house PA

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Is there anything else I might not be thinking of? If I combined the two spearate loops into one loop, would that potentially change anything?

breaks
May 12, 2001

If you haven't already, check your mix in mono outside of a PA setting and see if you get the same problem.

There isn't any difference between mixing the two loops on the fly and bouncing them beforehand, unless some other change is also happening as a result of that process (for example you are mixing them differently, or converting them to mono, or whatever).

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It could also be just your 808 bass being way too loud in your original tracks, most non-PA setups won't really be able to represent that sort of sub bass effectively so when listening through headphones or pc speakers there's probably a lot of frequency information that gets missed until you hear it on the club system, as a result you end up turning the 808 up to make its higher energy audible over the other drum track on your home systems but that ends up flooding the low spectrum with a ton of inaudible sub bass that makes itself heard as soon as an appropriate speaker is introduced.

Try downloading Voxengo SPAN (it's free) and put it on the master output of your DAW when both tracks are playing, if you see a huge amount of low end energy in the 0 to 80hz range then this is likely to be the root of your issues.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
Thank you everyone for the help. I finally found some time/sanity to do a big overhaul and after trying all your suggestions I realized the reason my latency had gone up was because I had forgotten to reset the buffer on my interface. So that's back to workable, but the disk issue is still there after running the intel install utility, updating drivers for my graphics card, and changing to the high performance power option.

I don't know how to check the BIOS. Any tips?

Edit: The disk issue might be solved. It's still doing it in a project I had previously made, but it's not doing it in new tracks anymore, so I'm thinking that maybe kontakt has a built in backtracking when you update so that it doesn't screw up your old stuff. We'll see how this goes for a bit and I'll report back if I have any more issues.

The Mystery Date fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 14, 2015

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Any good pizzicato double bass (or whatever it's called when you don't use the bow, like in jazz) instruments? Or should I just find someone who plays one to do that part for me?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Franchescanado posted:

Does anyone have any good resources for learning the accordion online? There are no teachers in my city. I have the Palmer-Hughs series and a Mel Bay book (which I'm not the biggest fan of), but after that I'm lacking.

I'll take whatever sources will help me get better. I would love a course, if at all possible.

http://www.homespuntapes.com

I can't vouch for their quality, but Groove3 just added some of their courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Any good pizzicato double bass (or whatever it's called when you don't use the bow, like in jazz) instruments? Or should I just find someone who plays one to do that part for me?

You know, I have a half dozen upright bass libraries and not a one of them really hits the spot for me. I've got some that work for this application or the other, but not a general purpose great bass.