Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Combining Narset with Generator Servant was a fun deck to play for a bit, for a nice t4 haymaker. It was magical Christmasland when it went off and got 3 planeswalkers. It was a lump of coal when I got 4 lands. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

I am sure this is going to sound like hindsight but Narset was so obviously not good within the context of modern day Standard set design that it never should have been expensive. Standard has been about t4 haymakers for literal years now and Narset is like an extremely fringe card advantage card that does nothing on haymaker turn.

I actually posted that reason when it came out, too.

mcmagic posted:

Narset will be opened more than Ugin but she will also be a modern staple and Ugin isn't...

mcmagic posted:

How long before Narset is banned? That card is way too good.

mcmagic posted:

She will be a 3-4 of in Modern too.

but also this actual true one

mcmagic posted:

SCG Sold out of preorders at 30, 35 and 40. lol

I mean, to mcmagic's defense, which is a pretty rare stance for me to take, he's not the only one who thinks the way he does.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
friendly unironic reminder to please post a separate forge thread. if u need assistance please tell me what the gently caress is forge and i'll post it for you

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Our LGS plays at the bar next door. No teenagers no drama. It's the best.

This sounds fantastic. Part of the reason I switched gaming stores is the one I was playing at had a group of kids that played who were more interested in their iPads than playing the game. Having to ask them to pause whatever they were watching on YouTube because it was their turn or take one headphone out so they could hear was a common occurrence. They often brought decks that weren't legal even though there was a free FNM before the normal one for new players to help with stuff like this. If their decks were legal it would normally be a random stack of cards that didn't make sense to be played together. To top it off the store owner openly dislikes "competitive magic" and changed the prizes to everyone getting one pack per win + one free pack for registering to chase competitive players out of the store. It worked.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Looks like that planeswalker Heroscape thing has preorders going now. No promo card or whatever though.

black potus posted:

friendly unironic reminder to please post a separate forge thread. if u need assistance please tell me what the gently caress is forge and i'll post it for you

Forge the way for us, brave leader!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Deckit posted:

Combining Narset with Generator Servant was a fun deck to play for a bit, for a nice t4 haymaker. It was magical Christmasland when it went off and got 3 planeswalkers. It was a lump of coal when I got 4 lands. :allears:

They're talking about the walker, not the creature.

But, that being said, I still loved my stupid Jeskai Legends deck using her and 4 Hero's Blade.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

My favorite is that Ugin actually gets played in Tron now, so.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Ramos posted:

Looks like that planeswalker Heroscape thing has preorders going now. No promo card or whatever though.

Forge the way for us, brave leader!

here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725378

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Roshambo posted:

MM2 draft, match 1 game 1:
I finish my turn with 2 mana open, opponent draws, plays rampant growth, and begins searching his library without any chance for me to respond.
Me: what are you doing?
Him: oh, I cast rampant growth.
Me: Mana Leak.
Him: :salt:

I think he was playing ramp or 5 color, either way he was stuck on 2 lands for the rest of that game and lost quickly in game 2. All he could talk about is how lovely it was to Mana Leak someone missing land drops.

It is kind of "dick-ish" to counter ramp, but that's mostly for formats like EDH. And even if it was EDH, doing stuff without giving your opponent the chance to respond is infinitely more rear end in a top hat-ish. You did good.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

They should reprint Terravore, imo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Serperoth posted:

It is kind of "dick-ish" to counter ramp, but that's mostly for formats like EDH.
People who think EDH has unwritten rules like this are why EDH is terrible.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There are plenty of other reasons it's terrible as well.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Entropic posted:

People who think EDH has unwritten rules like this are why EDH is terrible.

Agreed. The notion that someone can be a dick for playing a magic card that is legal is pretty insane.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

I mean, to mcmagic's defense, which is a pretty rare stance for me to take, he's not the only one who thinks the way he does.

Looking back that that part of the thread is pretty funny. At first I'm saying, "wow she seems pretty awesome in a Prowess deck of some kind!" and then like 2 pages later I'm like, "actually on further inspection this poo poo sucks in every deck and will go under $20."

Card is $13.50 TCG mid right now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Roshambo posted:

MM2 draft, match 1 game 1:
I finish my turn with 2 mana open, opponent draws, plays rampant growth, and begins searching his library without any chance for me to respond.

My MMA 2 draft experience: win game 1 of the affinity mirror. I have a decent deck. He doesn't. I have Hoverguards and Souleaters and 1-drops and Etched Champion and 4 pieces of removal. He has, as I learned thoughout the rest of the match, a bunch (at least 3, though I heard he had 4 from his next opponent) of Stoic Rebuttals, almost no artifacts, no removal, and no good creatures aside from a Qumulox. Game 2 I draw land #3 on turn 7. Game 3 I keep 3 lands and draw 9 in a row in my 16 land deck. You better believe I was salty losing to the 4 Stoic Rebuttal, one good card deck but I still shook his hand and gave him a GG then raged about it to my friends.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

morning wood posted:

Agreed. The notion that someone can be a dick for playing a magic card that is legal is pretty insane.

I don't particularly care, I was mostly sharing what I've heard, that might explain the dude not waiting. I'm much more negative towards resolving spells without your opponent passing priority.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

My favorite is that Ugin actually gets played in Tron now, so.

I think a lot of the negativity surrounding Ugin in Tron was the extra mana based on the idea you'd Map your way into a T3 functional Tron, but its not like Tron is winning a super large percentage of its games through T3 tron being online.

Also, its just :allears: that Elves is starting to make a Modern comeback.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

They're talking about the walker, not the creature.

But, that being said, I still loved my stupid Jeskai Legends deck using her and 4 Hero's Blade.

Oh, oops. I love my stupid Narset deck and Hero's Blade as well. :buddy:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zoness posted:

Dick. I'm far from the only one who was wrong about that card and thats only because it doesn't have a home now. It could EASILY still be a standard staple after rotation.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't see any evidence that they're moving away from t4 haymaker design for Standard

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Dick. I'm far from the only one who was wrong about that card and thats only because it doesn't have a home now. It could EASILY still be a standard staple after rotation.

Given that its bad in every possible format, I'm not sure what needs to exist for that to be true. Seriously, I can't even think of a different standard environment where that would have been good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Given that its bad in every possible format, I'm not sure what needs to exist for that to be true. Seriously, I can't even think of a different standard environment where that would have been good.

There is a reason the card was 50 bucks. It's very powerful.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

morning wood posted:

changed the prizes to everyone getting one pack per win + one free pack for registering

I would love this at my store

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

There is a reason the card was 50 bucks. It's very powerful.

The reason the card was 50 bucks was because people are bad at card evaluation.

I'm not saying I'm never wrong - I whiffed hard as gently caress on Collected Company.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The reason the card was 50 bucks was because people are bad at card evaluation.

I'm not saying I'm never wrong - I whiffed hard as gently caress on Collected Company.

I think most of us whiffed at Collected Company.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The last time I had a spot on evaluation was realizing Thassa and Master of the Waves would be ridiculous with the Ravnica enablers. Since then, I do my best not to make any claims about cards not out yet.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

i'm pretty sure people were thinking about how totally cool it would be to have rebounded supreme verdict and whatever other spells were in that deck, without thinking about how those cards all rotated and the kind of games where you're casting t4 verdict aren't the kind of games where you can wait an extra turn to get an extra one.

it's funny because even basic evaluation of the card based on most recent control archetypes says that at best the card was going to get played as a 1/2 of... in the sideboard.... for the mirror :v:

mcmagic is right that it's a card with a very powerful effect, but you just can't cast it in basically any game. it's an edh superstar and it's probably worth grabbing a set of when it drops to $4 just in case it becomes a good 2-of in a tempo deck somehow, or if uwx control makes a comeback in modern. but again, those are definitely going to be as 1- or 2- ofs.... in the sideboard.... against twin and the mirror

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ramos posted:

The last time I had a spot on evaluation was realizing Thassa and Master of the Waves would be ridiculous with the Ravnica enablers. Since then, I do my best not to make any claims about cards not out yet.

Well then you've come to the wrong thread bub

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Death Bot posted:

i'm pretty sure people were thinking about how totally cool it would be to have rebounded supreme verdict and whatever other spells were in that deck, without thinking about how those cards all rotated and the kind of games where you're casting t4 verdict aren't the kind of games where you can wait an extra turn to get an extra one.

What

Given that narset is in DTK verdict was never in standard?

The curve was narset-crux or narset-end but like that is remarkably useless against deathmist raptors + den protectors.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Death Bot posted:

mcmagic is right that it's a card with a very powerful effect, but you just can't cast it in basically any game. it's an edh superstar and it's probably worth grabbing a set of when it drops to $4 just in case it becomes a good 2-of in a tempo deck somehow, or if uwx control makes a comeback in modern. but again, those are definitely going to be as 1- or 2- ofs.... in the sideboard.... against twin and the mirror

Modern is even worse than t4 Haymaker Standard in that the fundamental turn of Modern is t4, making it far less likely to see play there.

A control deck especially can't tap out on the turn that it's likely to lose the game against a large portion of the field

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

What

Given that narset is in DTK verdict was never in standard?

He's saying people thought Narset was good because they were thinking how good she would have been in last season's UW deck with Supreme Verdict without considering that 1) the good cards in UW rotated anyways, and b) waiting an extra turn to rebound Verdict already is sucky to begin with.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 11, 2015

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
It turns out a walker having very high loyalty does not count as protecting itself. I think people saw Domri for control but they overlooked
1) 3 mana is a world of difference from 4 mana
2) red and green need card draw way more than blue and white

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

A big flaming stink posted:

It turns out a walker having very high loyalty does not count as protecting itself. I think people saw Domri for control but they overlooked
1) 3 mana is a world of difference from 4 mana
2) red and green need card draw way more than blue and white

3) Domri's minus means it can land and do something highly relevant immediately (without needing more mana than what you spent to cast it)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

Don't you have to play in the bar at prereleases because the actual store is too small?

Yeah for Prerelease there are simultaneous flights. So if packs are really important to you and cramped conditions aren't, you can play there and beat up on the kids. No beer or food is a big loss too.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
This seems...odd

Land
~this~ enters the battlefield tapped.
Tap an untapped enchantment you control, Sacrifice ~this~, T: add 1GG to your mana pool
T: add 1 to your mana pool
--Even the grandest sail collapses even the most awesome dog
– Iblefe, Silver Baron

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Probably because it's a fake card created by a program and it's not particularly funny.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That looks like a random card generator card. It's not that odd by those standards since at least it actually works and does things.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It also strikes me as a fake fake card, why people are doing that I dont know. Just let it organically make funny things

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

It's definitely no

Amarogge Warfos
2U
Artifact Creature - Kavu Shaman
Morph B(B/B)(G/W) (You may cast this card from your graveyard to the battlefield, you may pay 1. If an enchantment card, then put the rest of target creature card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. If exile is you sacrifice it unless you pay 1G. If you do, put a 3/1 green Soldier creature token onto the battlefield. Put it into your graveyard.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm still dying over Tromple.

• Locked thread