Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Don Lapre posted:

Saw a ridiculously good looking fake s6 tonight. Like, amazing. I actually turned it down, checked it out again, and then called the guy again later. Only a few incorrect things in settings and stuff gave it away and a bum serial number and imei. The IMEI actually checked clean. Didnt know until i googled it it was on other fake s6's

:justpost: so everyone knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is the joke that it works as intended without making GBS threads itself which is how you know it's not a real samsung?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
So I ordered a 1st gen Moto X from this listing http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OTZUUP2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 which was supposed the be factory unlocked GSM. The phone that arrived is a Verizon branded XT1060. Is this going to not work on GSM networks or otherwise be lovely?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thufir posted:

So I ordered a 1st gen Moto X from this listing http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OTZUUP2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 which was supposed the be factory unlocked GSM. The phone that arrived is a Verizon branded XT1060. Is this going to not work on GSM networks or otherwise be lovely?

It should work, most Verizon phones sold in 2013 and after come unlocked so you can use them on american GSM networks. Some people say all Verizon LTE phones come unlocked, but that's not true because my Razr M definitely didn't come unlocked (had to unlock that one myself).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thufir posted:

Well thats clever, they dont guarentee any specific model.

It should be unlocked though i dont know how updates work. You may be waiting since its a verizon model.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thufir posted:

If you're planning on using it in the US, it will be lacking LTE Band 2, which is important on both AT&T and T-Mobile (though it supports Band 4, which they both use), and it's missing the AWS band for T-Mobile GSM.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
As an aside, I still have my mint condition unlocked at&t 2013 moto x for sale for drat cheap in SA Mart and I even guarantee the model :arghfist:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thufir posted:

:ohdear: I ordered that, too. There were a bunch of questions saying that it was the XT1053. Maybe it was from a different seller. If it does come as a Verizon one, I guess I just have to send it back. If I wanted to deal with limited bands, I'd have gotten the dev edition for $220 instead.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So I just upgraded from an S4 to a new Moto X and I loving love the phone, but apparently I can no longer sync my contact photos with Facebook? That was the gist of my google searches, but I just figured I'd ask here since you're all smart people.

If that's the case, is there any reason why contact photos that appear on contacts.google.com aren't showing up on the same contact on my phone? It's annoying just having big colored tiles with letters on them instead of faces.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thufir posted:

Sorry, I was almost certain it would be the XT1053. I don't think the Verizon model can even come unlocked from the factory can it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sorry, I was almost certain it would be the XT1053. I don't think the Verizon model can even come unlocked from the factory can it?

Yes, it can. Most Verizon LTE phones can accept a GSM SIM and just work.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

So I just upgraded from an S4 to a new Moto X and I loving love the phone, but apparently I can no longer sync my contact photos with Facebook? That was the gist of my google searches, but I just figured I'd ask here since you're all smart people.

If that's the case, is there any reason why contact photos that appear on contacts.google.com aren't showing up on the same contact on my phone? It's annoying just having big colored tiles with letters on them instead of faces.

Correct, that's added in by Samsung. There was an app called Haxsync that could do it for you on non Galaxy phones with some added benefits but last I heard it was killed off by Facebook.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Desk Lamp posted:

Correct, that's added in by Samsung. There was an app called Haxsync that could do it for you on non Galaxy phones with some added benefits but last I heard it was killed off by Facebook.

Drat, that was a fun feature. Any idea why the photos that show up online for Google aren't showing up on the phone, though?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:ohdear: I ordered that, too. There were a bunch of questions saying that it was the XT1053. Maybe it was from a different seller. If it does come as a Verizon one, I guess I just have to send it back. If I wanted to deal with limited bands, I'd have gotten the dev edition for $220 instead.

It was a different seller when I got mine than it is now so hopefully you'll luck out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sorry if this is a better question for the VZW thread, but I just got a replacement Turbo and the Advanced Calling doesn’t seem to be working. The option to activate it is greyed out and, anytime I make a call, it drops down to 1x. I’m on the latest software, so I don’t know why it wouldn’t be letting me activate it. I’ve tried rebooting and toggling airplane mode, thinking maybe it just needed to reconnect to the network or something after putting my SIM in, but no dice.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

XIII posted:

Sorry if this is a better question for the VZW thread, but I just got a replacement Turbo and the Advanced Calling doesn’t seem to be working. The option to activate it is greyed out and, anytime I make a call, it drops down to 1x. I’m on the latest software, so I don’t know why it wouldn’t be letting me activate it. I’ve tried rebooting and toggling airplane mode, thinking maybe it just needed to reconnect to the network or something after putting my SIM in, but no dice.

You might need to disable/enable that feature for your line in the VZW account management application? I think it's preloaded on the phone.

While we're talking about the Turbo, are there any decent cases for the ballistic nylon version? I've had this case since March-ish, and it's become loose. My phone can slide up and down while it's inside the case, and it's super annoying.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mogomra posted:

You might need to disable/enable that feature for your line in the VZW account management application? I think it's preloaded on the phone.

Already did that.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mogomra posted:

While we're talking about the Turbo, are there any decent cases for the ballistic nylon version? I've had this case since March-ish, and it's become loose. My phone can slide up and down while it's inside the case, and it's super annoying.

That's the case I'm using. Mine hasn't gotten loose yet but I can imagine it happening if you take the case on/off frequently.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

this_is_hard posted:

That's the case I'm using. Mine hasn't gotten loose yet but I can imagine it happening if you take the case on/off frequently.

I might have taken it off 3 times total to get the pocket lint out. :shrug:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mogomra posted:

I might have taken it off 3 times total to get the pocket lint out. :shrug:

Just another example of Turbo users being disrespected :emo:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Alright, no one asked for it, but here's a TinyCore Linux VM with just Java and ADB. Username and password are both android.

http://bit.ly/1JInSku

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just bought an S5 Active, yesterday I submerged it in 1' of water for approximately 2 minutes to test the waterproof feature. Today, it's randomly detecting headphones and turning itself on and off over and over.

Return to Amazon, or is this a known issue?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

revmoo posted:

Just bought an S5 Active, yesterday I submerged it in 1' of water for approximately 2 minutes to test the waterproof feature. Today, it's randomly detecting headphones and turning itself on and off over and over.

I think the known issue is that you submerged it in water for no good reason.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

revmoo posted:

Have you tried blowing some compressed air into the headphone port in case there's any moisture left there?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

revmoo posted:

You could also try plugging in headphones to see if it's just buggy. I thought this was an issue with some phones (even iPhones) that had ghost detection of headphones too.

PS: I dipped my old S5 into water all the time to show off, and to scare my relatives during holiday.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I think the known issue is that you submerged it in water for no good reason.

It's an S5 Active, you're supposed to be able to submerge it in water.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Prob just have water stuck in the headphone jack

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah no kidding. I specifically bought this phone to have something that I can mount to my motorcycle for use in the rain. Waterproof was the #1 requirement and of course I had to test it (glad I did too).

I blew the headphone jack out with shop air and that appears to have fixed the issue for now, though I don't think that is enough of a resolution. A phone that needs blown out with compressed air after every exposure to water doesn't meet my needs unfortunately.

I'm going to send it back.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

revmoo posted:

Yeah no kidding. I specifically bought this phone to have something that I can mount to my motorcycle for use in the rain. Waterproof was the #1 requirement and of course I had to test it (glad I did too).

I blew the headphone jack out with shop air and that appears to have fixed the issue for now, though I don't think that is enough of a resolution. A phone that needs blown out with compressed air after every exposure to water doesn't meet my needs unfortunately.

I'm going to send it back.

Thats how headphones work. Get a plug for them otherwise.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Inspector_666 posted:

Drat, that was a fun feature. Any idea why the photos that show up online for Google aren't showing up on the phone, though?

HaxSync still exists, they just crippled some of the functionality of it - I can't even remember what it is they had to take out, that's how critical it must've been. It still does the job for syncing Facebook contact photos and birthday info with your Google contacts. Another app called SyncMe does the same thing and a bunch of other poo poo that I don't allow it to do (caller ID, SMS popups). I currently use SyncMe because its a more polished "materialy" app but they both do the trick.

As for why your contacts have photos on Google but not in your contact list on your device I don't know, I'm at a loss. I guess I'd go into Settings>Accounts>Google and make sure everything is checked, other than that I'm not sure.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 11, 2015

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

I thought the S5 Active was only water resistant, though? Only good for minor splashes and being outside in the rain? I don't think it's fully waterproof like Sony's phones.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Don Lapre posted:

Thats how headphones work. Get a plug for them otherwise.

This. Get a plug of some kind

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

I thought the S5 Active was only water resistant, though? Only good for minor splashes and being outside in the rain? I don't think it's fully waterproof like Sony's phones.

It's IP67 certified, supposed to be good for being submerged in 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

caveman thug poo poo posted:

HaxSync still exists, they just crippled some of the functionality of it - I can't even remember what it is they had to take out, that's how critical it must've been. It still does the job for syncing Facebook contact photos and birthday info with your Google contacts. Another app called SyncMe does the same thing and a bunch of other poo poo that I don't allow it to do (caller ID, SMS popups). I currently use SyncMe because its a more polished "materialy" app but they both do the trick.

As for why your contacts have photos on Google but not in your contact list on your device I don't know, I'm at a loss. I guess I'd go into Settings>Accounts>Google and make sure everything is checked, other than that I'm not sure.

Ah, there were a bunch of reviews for Sync.Me that it didn't work anymore, but it seems to be chugging through my contacts now, thanks.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Thufir posted:

Your Verizon moto x is unlocked, but you'll only get 3G (HSPA) because it only supports Verizon's LTE band.

It's really lovely that they pulled that on you. I'd send it back and leave a bad review.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 11, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mogomra posted:

Have diztronic replace it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Yo, G4, why you wanna keep me from blocking certain callers

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Alright, no one asked for it, but here's a TinyCore Linux VM with just Java and ADB. Username and password are both android.

I'm sure I'll get some use out of this. Thanks!

kri kri posted:

Have diztronic replace it.

Good point, I'll try that I guess.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm living in Japan again now and have no choice but to get a new contract and phone (my now unlocked iPhone 5S can sit around while I decide what to do with it), is the Xperia Z4 some hot poo poo that I should be considering? Otherwise I could go with just an iPhone 6 or maybe a Galaxy. I didn't see any HTC or Droid phones when I was out looking yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Nice, might be worth throwing this in the root thread as well.