Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorbe
Jul 29, 2006
Country/Provider: USA - Oklahoma, currently with AT&T

Current contract status: My 2 year contract has been over for about a year. I am grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan. (Not sure if that is still worth keeping)

Budget (phone/plan): Phone - Would like to stay under $300 for a new phone but would be able to spend more. Plan - Currently paying around 150 a month on 2 phones

Features I know I want: Currently have an iPhone 4 with a broken screen that is no longer responding to touch. I don't want a huge screen, it needs to fit in my pocket, and i need a pretty good camera for pics and video. I have 2 chromecast in my house, so something that can utilize those would be nice. I use a lot of google apps and have a chromebook but i dont know much about their phones (or any new phones for that matter) I liked the iPhone 4 and i use a iPhone 5 for work, so not sure if i should stay with those or try something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

Looking for a second mid-range unlocked US-GSM phone. I'm all set for a plan - BYOP straight talk on AT&T network. I currently have 2014 moto g and am coming from xperia SL. Budget around mid-$200s and would consider buying used. I use the phone fairly heavily - web/music/car tuning/etc.

The moto g is pretty good for a $180 phone - its pretty snappy and has good features and lollipop. I could live with one of these but there's a couple areas that seem a bit lacking:

-The camera not great - OK at best
-Battery life isn't great - does really get through a day when its used a lot
-Gets really hot when anything intensive is used
-Not crazy about stock moto UI - maybe just need more time to get used to it.

Any suggestions? I have been looking at a lg g2 for a similar price. Anyone have experience with both the moto g and g2? The g2 looks good on paper but heard some grumblings about UI and screen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jorbe posted:

Country/Provider: USA - Oklahoma, currently with AT&T

Current contract status: My 2 year contract has been over for about a year. I am grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan. (Not sure if that is still worth keeping)

Budget (phone/plan): Phone - Would like to stay under $300 for a new phone but would be able to spend more. Plan - Currently paying around 150 a month on 2 phones

Features I know I want: Currently have an iPhone 4 with a broken screen that is no longer responding to touch. I don't want a huge screen, it needs to fit in my pocket, and i need a pretty good camera for pics and video. I have 2 chromecast in my house, so something that can utilize those would be nice. I use a lot of google apps and have a chromebook but i dont know much about their phones (or any new phones for that matter) I liked the iPhone 4 and i use a iPhone 5 for work, so not sure if i should stay with those or try something new.

The unlimited data plan depends on usage: if you use under 5ish GB combined monthly the new plans are cheaper, if you use more keep your plan. Def worth comparing to the new plans. Check the ATT thread and make sure you know how your plan (two year contract based) works vs the new mobile share (no contract ) plan works.

I would do either iPhone 6 64GB or Galaxy S6. Simple answer for that one. I'm a big iPhone fan myself, but if you use all google products it's worth considering android. iPhones should work fine overall with chrome cast, but you def get more options with android.

RyanManRules
May 31, 2006

* Country/Provider: USA/Sprint

* Current contract status:Family Plan 4 gigs data(might be higher but my mother shares the plan and she barely uses it), unlimited talk/text

* Budget: Phone upgrade, no real strict budget, looking for the best price for performance.

I do a lot of listening to music in the car and play occasional games/apps. I mainly browse imgur, reddit, SA app, chrome. An all around device really. Currently looking at the LG coming out friday. I would like not to go with iphone, I'm more of an android guy.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
* Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

* Current contract status: no contract, yay

* Budget: Complicated

My wife had a Nexus 4. It worked great for her! It also mysteriously vanished - we think it got lost at a doctor's office, and they can't find it.

This means we need a new phone for her. What we *really* want is, almost certainly, the Nexus 5 variant that Google is expected to release in a few months . . . but unfortunately we need a replacement much sooner than that. And we need an actual smart-phone replacement, with the same or better performance as the Nexus 4, because she has school-related apps that require some reasonable horsepower to run.

I'm very tempted to pick up a used Nexus 4 off eBay and just use that until we can get what we really want. But if someone's got a better idea, like a phone that compares favorably to a Nexus 4 in price/performance, I'd love to hear it!

(also if anyone has a used nexus 4 they're trying to get rid of, let's take this to sa-mart :V)

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

ZorbaTHut posted:

My wife had a Nexus 4. It worked great for her! It also mysteriously vanished - we think it got lost at a doctor's office, and they can't find it.

This means we need a new phone for her. What we *really* want is, almost certainly, the Nexus 5 variant that Google is expected to release in a few months . . . but unfortunately we need a replacement much sooner than that. And we need an actual smart-phone replacement, with the same or better performance as the Nexus 4, because she has school-related apps that require some reasonable horsepower to run.

I'm very tempted to pick up a used Nexus 4 off eBay and just use that until we can get what we really want. But if someone's got a better idea, like a phone that compares favorably to a Nexus 4 in price/performance, I'd love to hear it!

(also if anyone has a used nexus 4 they're trying to get rid of, let's take this to sa-mart :V)

Freedompop has the certfied pre owned Nexus 5 on sale for $150, might be worth looking into.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7897339-16g...hipping?src=pdw

Jorbe
Jul 29, 2006
Ended up dumping the unlimited data plan and going with the galaxy s6. My monthly payment ended up being the same. Thanks for the help!

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I'm in socal on Verizon with an s4. My contract is over in 3 or so weeks and I just saw that the nexus 6 is currently $150 off. Is there any reason I shouldn't just buy one of those and jump to t mobile when the contract runs out? I sometimes think the s4 is kind of small. I'm also waiting for a project fi invite.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ZorbaTHut posted:

First of all, did you use the Android Device Manager to attempt to track your wife's phone?

Assuming that fails, check your PMs. I've got a spare Nexus 4 doing nothing right now and it's in perfect condition.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
In case anybody is wondering, I got the Nexus 5 and I'm loving it so far. Lollipop is really slick.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
* Current Country / Provider: USA/Sprint

* Current Phone: iPhone 5

*Current Contract: Sprint Unlimited (beyond ETF period)

*Budget: ~$200ish

I've always been an iPhone user but I've been considering trying an Android phone. I'm going to Spain for a few weeks in July, so I was thinking I would get a cheap-ish GSM Android phone to take and use there with a prepaid sim , see if I like it vs iOS, and then move my US number to an off-contract carrier here when I get back (probably Ting). What phone should I get?

Things I care about:
- having 4G
- camera more or less as good as the iPhone 5
- I don't really play games or use many apps. Mainly I use email, Twitter, Awful App, Spotify, and web browsing.
- not super huge

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

ZorbaTHut posted:

I have two Nexus 4s I'm trying to sell. One is basically perfect, and the other one doesn't want to use the built-in ringer speaker. Thread and pictures are in SAMart.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

* Current Country / Provider: USA/Sprint

* Current Phone: iPhone 5

*Current Contract: Sprint Unlimited (beyond ETF period)

*Budget: ~$200ish

I've always been an iPhone user but I've been considering trying an Android phone. I'm going to Spain for a few weeks in July, so I was thinking I would get a cheap-ish GSM Android phone to take and use there with a prepaid sim , see if I like it vs iOS, and then move my US number to an off-contract carrier here when I get back (probably Ting). What phone should I get?

Things I care about :
- having 4G
- camera more or less as good as the iPhone 5
- I don't really play games or use many apps. Mainly I use email, Twitter, Awful App, Spotify, and web browsing.
- not super huge

Probably the Moto X 2nd Gen. It isn't the best camera, but it should be as good as iPhone 5 camera.

Unlocked GSM phones don't work on sprint or ting because they are both CDMA. Have you looked at cricket (they use ATT)?

If you're in Nashville I will say verizon and sprint kill ATT and T-Mobile coverage wise, last I checked. I was there last a year ago, and it has been the only place ATT was not great for me.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
I'm from the US and heading to Europe (UK, Spain, Denmark) and would love to be able to use a phone while there. Going through my US carrier seems stupid and expensive. Hoping to do it there, but I have a few questions.

1. Is it best to get a new sim/plan in each country? Would need minimal call/texting, mostly just data for navigating. recommended companies to just get like .5-1gb a data from?
2. Which phone would work best in the above countries: iphone 5s (ATT), iphone 6 (verizon), Moto X 2013 (verizon)
3. Is unlocking simple? As in I can walk into a shop in say, London, and just have them unlock and buy a plan? The guy at the verizon store was talking about applying to get unlock access.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably the Moto X 2nd Gen. It isn't the best camera, but it should be as good as iPhone 5 camera.

Unlocked GSM phones don't work on sprint or ting because they are both CDMA. Have you looked at cricket (they use ATT)?

If you're in Nashville I will say verizon and sprint kill ATT and T-Mobile coverage wise, last I checked. I was there last a year ago, and it has been the only place ATT was not great for me.

Ting also uses the T-Mobile network as of March so it should be OK. I do think the 2014 Moto X looks good but I don't think I could find one for what I want to spend, under $250?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thufir posted:

Ting also uses the T-Mobile network as of March so it should be OK. I do think the 2014 Moto X looks good but I don't think I could find one for what I want to spend, under $250?

Outright no you won't get it for that price. The main thing with a phone under $250 is the camera quality won't be ground breaking. If you are cool with something functional but not amazing, and overall does the trick for everything else you listed, I would just compare the Moto G and Moto E and see which one you want to do more. I'm blanking on the comparison between the two.

Didn't realize Ting also offers T-Mobile now, that's good and good to know!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hbf posted:

I'm from the US and heading to Europe (UK, Spain, Denmark) and would love to be able to use a phone while there. Going through my US carrier seems stupid and expensive. Hoping to do it there, but I have a few questions.

1. Is it best to get a new sim/plan in each country? Would need minimal call/texting, mostly just data for navigating. recommended companies to just get like .5-1gb a data from?
2. Which phone would work best in the above countries: iphone 5s (ATT), iphone 6 (verizon), Moto X 2013 (verizon)
3. Is unlocking simple? As in I can walk into a shop in say, London, and just have them unlock and buy a plan? The guy at the verizon store was talking about applying to get unlock access.
I can't speak on specific plans, but of your options, the Verizon iPhone 6 will have the most available bands and will be GSM and LTE unlocked out of the box, meaning you can just stick another SIM in there and it will Just Work. The AT&T 5S is the next best option since it will have most of the same bands as the 6, but you might have to get it unlocked. I don't think it's as easy as you're thinking and you should get it taken care of before you leave the States.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: Just ended, about to renew

Budget (phone/plan): Budget for the phone upgrade is preferably free, but up to $100 is do-able

Features I know I want: Android, with a decent screen resolution and good battery life. Good hand feel.

The Droid Turbo is $99, the S5 is $99, the Maxx is free, the HTC One is free, and the Moto X (2nd gen) is 99 cents. Those are basically what I'm between at the moment.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: Just ended, about to renew

Budget (phone/plan): Budget for the phone upgrade is preferably free, but up to $100 is do-able

Features I know I want: Android, with a decent screen resolution and good battery life. Good hand feel.

The Droid Turbo is $99, the S5 is $99, the Maxx is free, the HTC One is free, and the Moto X (2nd gen) is 99 cents. Those are basically what I'm between at the moment.

Get the Droid Turbo.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Country/Provider: New Zealand/Skinny

Contract status: Month-to-month prepay

Budget: Topping out at around $550 NZD

Current phone: LG Optimus L3 II (a real piece of poo poo)

Features I want: Grunty processor, a decent amount of RAM, good camera would be nice but it's not a dealbreaker

I'm tossing up right now between the Samsung S5 Mini and the Samsung Galaxy Alpha. Both phones are so close in price as to be basically identical. The Alpha has a lot more oomph under the hood than the S5 Mini, but I'm not sure about the lack of removable storage and battery on the Alpha. The reason I went for the Mini in particular is that I didn't want too large a phone in the hand, because I find it kind of uncomfortable to hold.

I'm also considering an S4 Mini because a local store is dumping their stock at $299, but I'm worried that even with the dual core being a substantial step up from my current banger, it would be kind of a waste to 'upgrade' to a model that's already far on its way out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brain In A Jar posted:

Country/Provider: New Zealand/Skinny

Contract status: Month-to-month prepay

Budget: Topping out at around $550 NZD

Current phone: LG Optimus L3 II (a real piece of poo poo)

Features I want: Grunty processor, a decent amount of RAM, good camera would be nice but it's not a dealbreaker

I'm tossing up right now between the Samsung S5 Mini and the Samsung Galaxy Alpha. Both phones are so close in price as to be basically identical. The Alpha has a lot more oomph under the hood than the S5 Mini, but I'm not sure about the lack of removable storage and battery on the Alpha. The reason I went for the Mini in particular is that I didn't want too large a phone in the hand, because I find it kind of uncomfortable to hold.

I'm also considering an S4 Mini because a local store is dumping their stock at $299, but I'm worried that even with the dual core being a substantial step up from my current banger, it would be kind of a waste to 'upgrade' to a model that's already far on its way out.

If those are your options I would do the Alpha. It isn't that big, and more and more you can store your stuff in the cloud. Depends how important that expandable storage is.

I wouldn't get the S4 mini at this point.

It seems like phones are really expensive in your area, you can't order an unlocked phone online? The Moto X 2014 is in that price range and is just way better than any of those phones.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Outright no you won't get it for that price. The main thing with a phone under $250 is the camera quality won't be ground breaking. If you are cool with something functional but not amazing, and overall does the trick for everything else you listed, I would just compare the Moto G and Moto E and see which one you want to do more. I'm blanking on the comparison between the two.

Didn't realize Ting also offers T-Mobile now, that's good and good to know!

I ended up finding a 2013 Moto X pretty cheap so I'm going to give that a try.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Somewhat related, but I have my 2013 GSM moto x up for sale in SA Mart. Got it at the threads recommendation and it really is a great phone.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Endless Mike posted:

I can't speak on specific plans, but of your options, the Verizon iPhone 6 will have the most available bands and will be GSM and LTE unlocked out of the box, meaning you can just stick another SIM in there and it will Just Work. The AT&T 5S is the next best option since it will have most of the same bands as the 6, but you might have to get it unlocked. I don't think it's as easy as you're thinking and you should get it taken care of before you leave the States.

So I actually need to go through the process with ATT to "apply" and ask them permission to unlock and thing I own? It can't be done anywhere else?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's still people on Ebay and such selling unlocks, but the prices went way up when AT&T started cracking down on it - $50ish, last I heard. You probably can't just walk into a store in Europe and have it done, is what I was getting at.

EDIT: Looks like they're more like $25, but some people have $5 ones so I don't know anymore! But yeah, get it done before leaving, I would think.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Thanks, didn't think to check ebay for that. Looking on there I am finding a ton, cheapest being about $3... They all seem to have decent reviews. Is there anything shady they can do after the fact with my IMEI (like sell it or something)?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Slightly offtopic—can someone with a Sprint (not Prepaid) plan help me do some SMS troubleshooting? I'm having certain messages blocked on Prepaid phones and want to see if it effects mainstream Sprint phones as well. , shouldn't take more than a couple minutes.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 10, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hbf posted:

Thanks, didn't think to check ebay for that. Looking on there I am finding a ton, cheapest being about $3... They all seem to have decent reviews. Is there anything shady they can do after the fact with my IMEI (like sell it or something)?
No idea. Ask the iPhone thread, maybe?

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Slightly offtopic—can someone with a Sprint (not Prepaid) plan help me do some SMS troubleshooting? I'm having certain messages blocked on Prepaid phones and want to see if it effects mainstream Sprint phones as well. ***-***-****, shouldn't take more than a couple minutes.
Go ask the Sprint thread. And man, don't post your phone number, you idiot.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Country/Provider:US AT&T

Current contract status: up renewal/unlimited data grandfathered

Budget (phone/plan): 200ish?

Features I know I want:
I currently have a S4 and it's taken a beating. I mainly use it for texting, Netflix for the kids, and occasionally taking pictures. I'm basically wondering which galaxy I should get. The 4 year old can be rough with it so I'm leaning towards waiting for the new Active. Is it worth waiting for or should I get a S6 or edge and just case the poo poo out of it?

Malkof fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 10, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Malkof posted:

Features I know I want:
I currently have a S4 and it's taken a beating. I mainly use it for texting, Netflix for the kids, and occasionally taking pictures. I'm basically wondering which galaxy I should get. The 4 year old can be rough with it so I'm leaning towards waiting for the new Active. Is it worth waiting for or should I get a S6 or edge and just case the poo poo out of it?

After seeing how well my coworker's S5 Active takes abuse I'd have to recommend going with that.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Malkof posted:

Features I know I want:

The S6 Active should have ridiculously good battery life, if you're looking for a rugged phone on AT&T it doesn't get any better.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Country/Provider: :911:/Verizon

Current contract status: Expired like 5 years ago.

Budget (phone/plan): Grandfathered unlimited data plan.
Budget is whatever; I expect to pay hundreds since I'm not using a new contract (unless it's no longer suggested that people with old unlimited plans still hold onto them)

Features I know I want: Android, large screen, durable, battery life

I have a 2011 Galaxy Nexus that is now slow as poo poo and drains the battery faster than it can charge (even with a brand new battery). I don't care about my phone being small or sleek and I want something that has an above-average battery. The S6 Active looks perfect, but it doesn't appear to be available for Verizon. Is there anything out there like it for Verizon? I don't mind if it's a model from a year or so back.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Country/Provider: Australia

Current contract status: On a plan already, not inclined to change

Budget (phone/plan): I want to buy a phone outright, because the provider I'm with only offers iPhones (and it will be a cold day in hell before I voluntarily buy one for myself) and the latest and greatest Samsungs, and those are out of my budget. Roughly $500 AUD is my budget (I can go a little more, and will want to buy a case, so nothing too much higher)

Features I know I want: My current phone is a Galaxy S2. It is dying, but it has served me well. I wish it could hold on just a couple more months, until the new range of flagships is released, either driving the price of current phones down or releasing something that is slightly more suited to my needs because nothing out there right now is exactly what I want. I've basically narrowed it down to one of two phones, and need thoughts/advice/experience on both the Sony Z3 Compact and the Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen aka 2014).

Moto X - I hear nothing but good things about the Android build and the Motorola apps. 5.2" is about the maximum I want to go for screen size, and 1080p is enough for my needs. My biggest concern with this phone is that in Australia, it can only come with 16GB of internal memory and people bash the battery life. I would consider myself a fairly light user, but that's probably a combination of both having a lovely phone, and just not really having a need to use it that much.

Z3 Compact - Don't like the sound of Sony's bloatware (even though it's minimal by other manufacturer standards) even though I hear you can disable and stop the apps, even if you can't uninstall. Also limited to 16GB of memory everywhere. Love the battery life, but my biggest concern is the overheating and it's pretty much the same size as my current S2, and a slightly bigger screen sounds attractive in the long term.

So, recommendations/personal experiences would be valuable feedback for me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm finally back in Japan, and looking for an all new phone to replace my iphone 5S. I don't care about Android vs iOS. I guess that the Xperia Z4 hasn't been released outside of Japan yet, is that some hot poo poo? Are there any other Japanese only phones I should look at?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Budget (phone): I'm willing to spend at max $125. The cheaper the better. I don't plan to use it as my day to day phone. I'm willing to look used also

Features I know I want: Android, Rootable, LTE (Band 2+4 for t-mobile)

I currently have an iPhone 6 and it works great. Sometimes I need a mobile hotspot in a pinch. My iPhone 6 hotspot is fine but it does not provide VPN over tethering. I would like to buy a cheap Android phone with LTE, root it, and have it as a wireless hotspot that works with VPN. The idea is to switch out the sim card if I ever need to use it. Normally I would use a jailbroken iPhone but my iPhone 6 is not jailbreakable yet.

I was looking at the Verizon Prepaid Moto E (2nd Gen) for $50 at Wal-Mart. It works with T-Mobile right out of the box but it's not rootable sadly to implement the VPN function. It'd be an added bonus if the phone had a nano sim card slot so it'd be easier to swap.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 11, 2015

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Country/Provider: US, ATT

I think I want an s6 Active

Currently on a Mobile Share Value 10 gig w/rollover data 2 phone plan for 115$ a month after employer discounts.

Went to go pick up the S6 Active today, and the mumbling sales drone informed me that I was on the NEXT plan (is this correct?), and he further said that I would be unable to put 200$ down and have the phone, which I also think is incorrect, but that I needed to enroll in the NEXT plan and pay XX$ per month to purchase this phone, but there is an XX per month bonus that covers most of that, and that the "it has been 2 years, buy another phone at a subsidized price of about 200$" is no longer a thing.

Looks like the NEXT24 plan for this phone is 29$ a month. -25$ a month for...something? Is that per account, wife needs a new phone as well, are we adding 50$ a month in fees, and getting 25$ a month taken off? or is it per line, in which case we can upgrade for free?

Is that correct?

So, I like 10 gb of data, I like 2 phones, I like my coverage, and I can live with the price, and I'm pretty sure the phone I want is this phone, but got annoyingly hustled by the sales guy, so I walked out to think on it more.

What is the best option for me?

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

ch1mp posted:

Looking for a second mid-range unlocked US-GSM phone. I'm all set for a plan - BYOP straight talk on AT&T network. I currently have 2014 moto g and am coming from xperia SL. Budget around mid-$200s and would consider buying used. I use the phone fairly heavily - web/music/car tuning/etc.

The moto g is pretty good for a $180 phone - its pretty snappy and has good features and lollipop. I could live with one of these but there's a couple areas that seem a bit lacking:

-The camera not great - OK at best
-Battery life isn't great - does really get through a day when its used a lot
-Gets really hot when anything intensive is used
-Not crazy about stock moto UI - maybe just need more time to get used to it.

Any suggestions? I have been looking at a lg g2 for a similar price. Anyone have experience with both the moto g and g2? The g2 looks good on paper but heard some grumblings about UI and screen.

Didn't get any feedback here but I went ahead and got the unlocked GSM LG G2 for around $200. This was unlocked as an AT&T phone so it had their UI on it still which was running 4.4x. I believe OTA lollipop updates are available. I rooted the phone and installed cloudyg2. I am a phone noob and the whole process took about 45 mins without problems.

I am very pleased with the phone. It is a really good way to go if your budget for an unlocked phone is around $200. The camera is really good and the phone is snappy and has all the features and good specs plus, cloudyg2 is a nice UI. For me, this is a far superior phone to the moto G. Just thought I'd share for any one else in a similar situation

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Slo-Tek posted:

Country/Provider: US, ATT

I think I want an s6 Active

Currently on a Mobile Share Value 10 gig w/rollover data 2 phone plan for 115$ a month after employer discounts.

Went to go pick up the S6 Active today, and the mumbling sales drone informed me that I was on the NEXT plan (is this correct?), and he further said that I would be unable to put 200$ down and have the phone, which I also think is incorrect, but that I needed to enroll in the NEXT plan and pay XX$ per month to purchase this phone, but there is an XX per month bonus that covers most of that, and that the "it has been 2 years, buy another phone at a subsidized price of about 200$" is no longer a thing.

Looks like the NEXT24 plan for this phone is 29$ a month. -25$ a month for...something? Is that per account, wife needs a new phone as well, are we adding 50$ a month in fees, and getting 25$ a month taken off? or is it per line, in which case we can upgrade for free?

Is that correct?

So, I like 10 gb of data, I like 2 phones, I like my coverage, and I can live with the price, and I'm pretty sure the phone I want is this phone, but got annoyingly hustled by the sales guy, so I walked out to think on it more.

What is the best option for me?
He's not being entirely honest with you. AT&T hasn't gotten rid of subsidies, but the NEXT program does look like it will work out in your favor. The short version is this:

You CAN pay $200 for the phone and walk out with it and continue to pay what you're paying like you've been doing for awhile.

Alternatively, you can switch to the NEXT program (and rumor is that they're getting rid of the subsidies completely in the very near future, so if you don't do it with this phone, you likely will with the next), where, rather than paying a subsidy and being on contract, you're financing at 0% the cost of your phone over whichever length of time you end up going with. This ALSO gives you a $25 discount per line that uses this (provided you have 6 GB or more data on the plan - below that and it's $15 per line). You'll have to pay the sales tax on the full price of the phone, however.

The upshot being that if you both get new phones, you'll end up paying about the same as you are now depending on which phone your wife chooses. At the end of the day, if you do the math, you'll end up paying less over the 24 month term than if you use the subsidized price.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Shine posted:

Country/Provider: :911:/Verizon

Current contract status: Expired like 5 years ago.

Budget (phone/plan): Grandfathered unlimited data plan.
Budget is whatever; I expect to pay hundreds since I'm not using a new contract (unless it's no longer suggested that people with old unlimited plans still hold onto them)

Features I know I want: Android, large screen, durable, battery life

I have a 2011 Galaxy Nexus that is now slow as poo poo and drains the battery faster than it can charge (even with a brand new battery). I don't care about my phone being small or sleek and I want something that has an above-average battery. The S6 Active looks perfect, but it doesn't appear to be available for Verizon. Is there anything out there like it for Verizon? I don't mind if it's a model from a year or so back.

The Droid Turbo and the Galaxy Note 4 are the top choices in the Android, large screen, and durable battery life on Verizon category. Can't go wrong with either one, the Turbo is a little more compact and the Note has one of the best cameras on a phone. Go play with both at a store and take your pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

The Droid Turbo and the Galaxy Note 4 are the top choices in the Android, large screen, and durable battery life on Verizon category. Can't go wrong with either one, the Turbo is a little more compact and the Note has one of the best cameras on a phone. Go play with both at a store and take your pick.

Is the G4 out on Verizon? I'd take it over either the Note or Turbo personally.