Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

20% and a ban is harsh. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Bape Culture posted:

Well, 20% and 9 points worth of previous offenses.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
The last eps are coming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFaOF5tG2uY

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bape Culture posted:

Especially as I'm going to take a guess that this 50 limit was 60 or 70 for decades, until it was knocked down because gently caress you, just in time for a camera to appear.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Especially as I'm going to take a guess that this 50 limit was 60 or 70 for decades, until it was knocked down because gently caress you, just in time for a camera to appear.

There's a good chance that he was ultimately responsible for that particular speed limit.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's funny, the only people in the UK who ever get nicked for speeding are olds who are afraid to stomp the brake and go from 70 to 30 in fifty feet like everyone else does when they see those white lines on the tarmac.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's funny, the only people in the UK who ever get nicked for speeding are olds who are afraid to stomp the brake and go from 70 to 30 in fifty feet like everyone else does when they see those white lines on the tarmac.

Atleast in the UK your speed cameras are wearing a high-visiblity jacket and have signs that say where the cameras are(So I have been told). In my area of the US (Washington DC) the cameras are normally hidden behind trees and the law says that a small sign that warns of speed cameras has to be posted within a 2 mile radius of where the camera is. loving bullshit!

I have had dreams about taking a fire axe to a speed camera. Maybe I will do that when I am in my 70s and can just say I was "confused".

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Same, most speed cameras are mobile and hidden here, there's a few fixed ones too but they're not marked either.
Still easy to spot the mobile ones during daylight if you're paying attention, which is why I have avoided trouble before, but at night time it's almost impossible.
Experienced drivers know the likely spots and you can find info where they're going to be everyday, so no excuse and I am dumb.

Also going 20mph over the limit here is 5 points, and on public holiday weekends, that's doubled for the whole weekend.
so 10 points for 20mph over the limit yay me.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 10, 2015

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Fo3 posted:

Same, most speed cameras are mobile and hidden here, there's a few fixed ones too but they're not marked either.
Still easy to spot the mobile ones during daylight if you're paying attention, which is why I have avoided trouble before, but at night time it's almost impossible.

Also going 20mph over the limit here is 5 points, and on public holiday weekends, that's doubled for the whole weekend.
so 10 points for 20mph over the limit yay me.

I don't know about points, but here 20mph over the limit is considered reckless driving and then you HAVE to go to court and you will probably be put in to a drivers awareness course just to be a pain in the rear end.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My area of Canada has no speed cameras and police officers sit up on bridges wearing high vis gear, a big goofy hat, and a tripod mounted radar making the lowest effort and most visible speed trap ever. They still manage to catch shedloads of blind (texting) motorists. Bless you OPP.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I don't know about points, but here 20mph over the limit is considered reckless driving and then you HAVE to go to court and you will probably be put in to a drivers awareness course just to be a pain in the rear end.

Oh yeah, I'm hosed. Lost licence and have to go to court.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

8ender posted:

My area of Canada has no speed cameras and police officers sit up on bridges wearing high vis gear, a big goofy hat, and a tripod mounted radar making the lowest effort and most visible speed trap ever. They still manage to catch shedloads of blind (texting) motorists. Bless you OPP.

Alberta is "we can't prove who was driving the car, so no demerits and no insurance repercussions, but you better pay if you want to register your vehicle". If you get pulled over and ticketed, though that doesn't apply.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

8ender posted:

Same here except the cops have to have their beacon lights on. It's pretty great.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
James talks about door handles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcWtAa5gGAo

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"...the first turbocharged, mid-engined, V8 Ferrari."

:confused:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Atleast in the UK your speed cameras are wearing a high-visiblity jacket and have signs that say where the cameras are(So I have been told).
Yes, they have to paint static cameras bright yellow. This does not mean they are very good at trimming the bushes ten feet ahead of them. Mobile stuff can be sneaky as gently caress.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Enourmo posted:

Pretty sure that's a V6. I'm no Ferrari expert though.

[edit] nvm, I'm an idiot. It is a V8

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Enourmo posted:

May needs to hand in his Man Card. How the gently caress do you forget about the greatest car ever made????

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

May needs to hand in his Man Card. How the gently caress do you forget about the greatest car ever made????

You all have to hand in your man cards. While the F40 is the greatest, the 208GTB was the first Turbo powered V8 Ferrari with a rabid 2 liter V8 from the Dino and a KKK turbo. Which then begat the 288 GTO, which then gave us the F40.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MustardFacial posted:

Pretty sure that's a V6. I'm no Ferrari expert though.

[edit] nvm, I'm an idiot. It is a V8

James May called the F40 a V6 once on a Top Gear special. :mediocre:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

InitialDave posted:

Yes, they have to paint static cameras bright yellow. This does not mean they are very good at trimming the bushes ten feet ahead of them. Mobile stuff can be sneaky as gently caress.

They have introduced grey ones ("Hadecs 3" units) on the M25 (and maybe some other places?), for use with the active traffic management, except these also work when the management signs are off and these have been raking in the cash for a while now.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Enourmo posted:

It's sad that people forget the 288GTO

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's even sadder that anyone would look at either it or the F40 and have "V6" anywhere in their minds.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The saddest thing is how little i really care (and everyone else too, judging by how much we're talking about it) about the upcoming top gear special.

I just want it to die for a while and bring on a fresh feeling reformated top gear on netflix. Imagine a Web 7.0 social media Cool wall where viewers submit their own cars.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 11, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Imagine a Web 7.0 social media Cool wall where viewers submit their own cars.

That already exists in the form of http://www.cardomain.com and it's a cesspool.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
So glad to minor speed infractions under 30 kph don't cost any points here. On the motorway you have to go 40 kph over to lose points. Could get a ticket for 39 kph over everyday of the year and they would never take my license as long as i keep paying the tickets.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

NihilismNow posted:

So glad to minor speed infractions under 30 kph don't cost any points here. On the motorway you have to go 40 kph over to lose points. Could get a ticket for 39 kph over everyday of the year and they would never take my license as long as i keep paying the tickets.

Must be nice...I'm pretty sure if I get pulled over for 25mph over (40kph) in my state, I go to jail.

But Virginia literally has some of the strictest driving laws in the country, so :sigh:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

Must be nice...I'm pretty sure if I get pulled over for 25mph over (40kph) in my state, I go to jail.

But Virginia literally has some of the strictest driving laws in the country, so :sigh:

Exceeding 80mph in Virginia is the same level of felony as spousal rape.

Virginia still delineates between rape and spousal rape.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Jealous Cow posted:

Exceeding 80mph in Virginia is the same level of felony as spousal rape.

I thought it was 90mph? Also for every mph over 90 you get a mandatory day in jail.

Jealous Cow posted:

Virginia still delineates between rape and spousal rape.

It really is the worst loving state.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I can't see it in that picture. Is it behind the F40?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

I thought it was 90mph? Also for every mph over 90 you get a mandatory day in jail.

Over 80 is "attempted vehicular homicide" or something, with the mandatory sentencing kicking in after 90. That way they have huge leverage in negotiating the charges down to massive fines in exchange for dropping the criminal charges.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Jealous Cow posted:

Over 80 is "attempted vehicular homicide" or something, with the mandatory sentencing kicking in after 90. That way they have huge leverage in negotiating the charges down to massive fines in exchange for dropping the criminal charges.

Huh, that's...awesome.

I seriously hate this state, so much.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jealous Cow posted:

...so if you were doing 81mph on a freeway which are places for cars to drive fast you'd still get charged? I forget what the limits are on freeways and poo poo are over there, it varies, right? Here's it's a flat 70mph with the only exceptions being 'smart' motorways which have massive lit signs above the lanes telling you the current speed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Presto posted:

I can't see it in that picture. Is it behind the F40?

Are you seriously trying to say there's a car better than the F40?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

By the time you see them, if they want you, they have you. I was crusing down one road here in the right lane at probably 80 in a 60 zone. by the time i saw the cop, he was already walking out into the road.

He walked right past my lane and stood in the left lane pointing down an avalanche which was a couple hundred feet back. as soon as he crested the hill about half a km from the cop, he was tagged and bagged.

Photoradar in alberta is an entirely different beast. it's basically a road tax. they hide the vehicles as well as they can, and put them in areas with unreasonably low limits to drum up the most revenue. The economics of the tickets are engineered to make it more expensive to fight the ticket and win than it is to just pay the ticket. It's an $80 ticket, but it's $20 cheaper to pay before the court date, it's $20 to fight the ticket, the court date is in the middle of the day when people are working, and the court location is often 60km away from the offense. So you can pay $60 as soon as you get the ticket. or pay $20 and drive 100km round trip to possibly lose and have to pay the $80 ticket.

If you got caught doing ludicrous speeds here, they used to take your license on a technicality. 6 demerits for 50 over, 6 demerits for street racing, and 3 for failing to observe the rules of the road. 15 demerits and you lose your license. Now all they can charge is the 6 demerits/$472 for going 50 over, and criminal offense is it's serious, which has the possibility of jailtime.

I drive quickly all the time, i drive fast when it's reasonably safe to do so. 400km in 3 hours isn't abnormal. My only ticket in the last 8 years is a photo radar ticket for like 61 in a 50 in edson a few years back, and haven't actually been stopped in probably 9 years. I've set off photo radar traps in the truck a few times, but my plate's on the front, and even though there is one on the trailer, it's almost never readable from the mud/dust/ice. I don't think they could even send a ticket based on the trailer. Those are areas with "no engine brake or else :argh: signs where it drops straight from 100 to 50 in the middle of a hill, or places like

My closest call in recent years was up near whitecourt. doing 130 in a 110 empty but with kerosene residuals and placards and such. on the left lane passing a few loaded trucks down into a ravine before a huge climb. looked in the mirror and there's an RCMP car right behind me. If i backed out of it i would have been stuck beside the traffic in the right lane for the length of the climb. I stayed in it, got into the right lane when i could, and he just passed me and carried on, and i was still going 100 at the top of the hill where the trucks going 110 at the bottom were down to 70. the cops probably aren't completely ok with dangerous goods trucks doing 20 over, but i think they recognize that in a 400km round trip in that area, doing the speed limits is an extra hour and 100 liters of fuel over speeding a little bit at the bottom of the ravines. I'm not crazy though, i take it slow as gently caress in winter or rain, slow down quite a bit at night. I got so good at some of those roads, i was beating the company trucks by 2 hours a trip, and getting 3 trips to a tank when some of the other o/o's were barely making 2.

that's over 80mph in a truck hauling flamable liquid. probably jailtime in the UK. bajillions in fines in some commie us states. business as usually in alberta.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
In Vancouver the RCMP have to wear their bright yellow jackets when they do speed traps, but you bet your rear end they are either hiding behind a bush/tree/corner with just the gun pointing out. that or they are hiding behind an unmarked Honda on the side of the road.

I dont know how more of them dont die when they suddenly step out into the middle of traffic to flag people over.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
What do you guys mean when you say "point them down"? Are the cops on foot flagging down speeding cars? How does that work?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Running after cars waving truncheons and blowing whistles yelling stop in the name of the law

E: eh

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Speeding laws are enforced to a varying degree around here. There's some places where you better be drat sure to follow the speed limit, and some places where you can take more risks. There are certain areas that they don't dare try to enforce the speed limit because if people went the speed limit gridlock would ensue.

The only time I got cited for anything was accelerating onto the highway just north of Pittsburgh and I got pulled over as I passed through 75 mph. Speed limit there is 55 (might even be 50, I drive it every day but I honestly don't remember.) Cop asked me how fast I was planning on going and I answered honestly, "I would probably settle in around 80mph."

On the face of it, I was doing over 20mph above the speed limit which could be horrible penalties. However, 70+ is the normal flow of traffic there. If everyone did the speed limit, the highway wouldn't have enough capacity.

I got written up for "Failure to obey all written traffic signs" which was a $10 fine (inflated to $100 with fees) and no points. Cop just flat out told me "you gambled and it was your day to lose" but otherwise really didn't care.

I remember a news article I read about an all day speeding sting they did on 79 south. that section is either 55 or 65 depending on where you are. They didn't bother pulling anyone over going under 80 mph.

I really wish they would listen to both engineers and physiologists when it comes to setting speed limits. Modern roads and modern cars are capable of being safe at higher speeds than are usually defined and it's proven that people are safer drivers when they are driving at a speed they are most comfortable at (which is almost always over the current speed limits.) Studies have also shown that raising the speed limit doesn't necessarily cause people to go faster than they are comfortable going either, but it does make people drive safer that are forcing themselves to drive within the law that would normally be more comfortable going faster. But then, they couldn't make all the moneys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

eriddy posted:

What do you guys mean when you say "point them down"? Are the cops on foot flagging down speeding cars? How does that work?

Laser doesn't really work through glass, so where there aren't median turnarounds for a while it's not uncommon to see a cop standing in front of or beside their car on the shoulder shooting laser over the roof. They'll often step out to the edge or in to the actual road to point at you to pull over. I've seen some who I really thought were suicidal with how they jumped out in to the road from their hiding spot on the inside of a blind corner.