Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My mechanic said my wiring harness is melted to poo poo. :smithicide:

You may want to think about an insurance claim in that case. If you have comprehensive, owner-induced damage, like putting a battery in backwards and melting the harness, is covered in a lot of policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

Umm these have reverse gear lockouts. You can only shift as far as neutral while the car is in motion. Reverse and Park are locked out until you stop.

Pretty much this. Its not brilliant design, but its far from the worst thing I've seen in modern cars. The shift lever on the console has always looked dumb to me so I have to give Chrysler some points for not just doing another lazy derivative of one.

I'll never understand why the column shifter on automatics fell out of fashion. You have a huge part of the console filled with something you rarely touch while driving and then try and cram everything onto stalks on the steering wheel.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

No offense, but people like you are the reason why I left the games industry. But take that with a grain of salt because I'm also one of those fags that thinks games are art.

I think certain games are art as well. I love games - I learned to read and write from King's Quest 3. If you're upset because certain games make a ton of money I'm not sure what to tell you. It's a business too.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Pretty much this. Its not brilliant design, but its far from the worst thing I've seen in modern cars. The shift lever on the console has always looked dumb to me so I have to give Chrysler some points for not just doing another lazy derivative of one.

I'll never understand why the column shifter on automatics fell out of fashion. You have a huge part of the console filled with something you rarely touch while driving and then try and cram everything onto stalks on the steering wheel.

I'll never understand why push button shifters went out of style. I mean look at how cool this is:

Comrade Flynn posted:

I think certain games are art as well. I love games - I learned to read and write from King's Quest 3. If you're upset because certain games make a ton of money I'm not sure what to tell you. It's a business too.

I'm upset that mobile games have created a trend of very parasitic design practices that permeate throughout the industry. I've got no problems with games making shitloads of money, I understand that it's a business as well. It's how they do it that I have a problem with, you can still make money with a game without resorting to making it a glorified slot machine or progression lockout. It may not be the easy way to make games, but doing things the easy way never pushed anything forward.

I'm not saying that you're the devil, or that your games are anything like that. I don't know what games you make. This is just one former designer's opinion who failed to create change in the environment he was in, so he left.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MustardFacial posted:

I'll never understand why push button shifters went out of style. I mean look at how cool this is:

Wow. That's so cool.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Hot drat, just found out a few minutes ago Christeene is playing a local show in 8 days!

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

I'm upset that mobile games have created a trend of very parasitic design practices that permeate throughout the industry. I've got no problems with games making shitloads of money, I understand that it's a business as well. It's how they do it that I have a problem with, you can still make money with a game without resorting to making it a glorified slot machine or progression lockout. It may not be the easy way to make games, but doing things the easy way never pushed anything forward.

I'm not saying that you're the devil, or that your games are anything like that. I don't know what games you make. This is just one former designer's opinion who failed to create change in the environment he was in, so he left.

I've always told my clients it's easy to make a mobile game make money - it's much more difficult to have one make money AND be fun.

Given what my business does (we work with Apple and Google to help our clients get featured) it usually requires the game be fun first and foremost.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

I really wish I was in a position where I could work on designing automotive interiors and bring back stuff like this. There is a lot of cool poo poo you can do with switches and displays in car interiors and across the board now automakers are using the same cookie cutter setup.

Its a god drat shame because you'll end up spending way more time inside a car then you ever will looking at the exterior and its an easy way to set yourself apart from the competition. I'm currently enamored with my 86 GMC Safari just because of its dumb instrument cluster and switches.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Tusen Takk posted:

I think you may have misread that. It's not like we went through their pictures and stumbled across them, they left them open and in the foreground when they knew that they were coming in to have their computer looked at, then they got mad when they unlocked their computer and only then remembered about their picture they were editing.

My bad. The devil's drink interferes with reading comprehension.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

MustardFacial posted:

I know why they went out of style, it's because Chrysler implemented them first and they never worked.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Noise Complaint posted:

If you need a hand or a ride to a junkyard to try to pull some harness or anything let me know. That really blows man.

Thanks man. I am fed up with working on this poo poo box so it is in my mechanic's hands now. Gonna fill out a loan application with my credit union when I get home and try and get something else and then sell this gently caress box when it is driveable.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

I really wish I was in a position where I could work on designing automotive interiors and bring back stuff like this. There is a lot of cool poo poo you can do with switches and displays in car interiors and across the board now automakers are using the same cookie cutter setup.

Its a god drat shame because you'll end up spending way more time inside a car then you ever will looking at the exterior and its an easy way to set yourself apart from the competition. I'm currently enamored with my 86 GMC Safari just because of its dumb instrument cluster and switches.

Real knobs, real switches, no loving touchscreens. That's a start.

There should be a secret switch under the dash or whatever that turns your gauges into "real" mode, so the temp gauge actually varies instead of just holding steady in the center for instance.

Or maybe just a panel in the center console that slides open when you speak the code phrase "suck squeeze bang blow" to reveal a real oil pressure gauge, temp gauge, boost gauge, all the poo poo that moves around and tends to freak the squares.

Instead of a collision detection system, make a texting detection system that starts flashing the headlights and honking the horn whenever it sees you texting while driving.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wallaka posted:

I know why they went out of style, it's because Chrysler implemented them first and they never worked.

Also, leaning forward and placing yourself out of a normal driving position to change gears is dumb. I drove a push-button shift car in my youth, and it was uncomfortable and stupid then, and it would be uncomfortable and stupid now, unless the buttons were placed where they were naturally within reach while remaining in your normal driving position.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Instead of a collision detection system, make a texting detection system that starts flashing the headlights and honking the horn whenever it sees you texting while driving.

Use gaze tracking to kill the engine if the driver looks away from the road for longer than it takes the vehicle to travel, say, 50 ft .

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Welp.

Won't crank. Cab electrics function. Fuses looked fine. Jump start did nothing. No clicks.

Alternators tell ghost stories around campfires about me. Hope it's just a relay or summat simple, though.

e: phone-posted the first time and didn't notice I used the original size image.

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 12, 2015

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm currently enamored with my 86 GMC Safari just because of its dumb instrument cluster and switches.

Does yours have the vacuum florescent displays with the animated warning lights?

Our 90 Astro had them - they were as neat as they were gaudy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just gonna leave this right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTidn2dBYbY

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Goober Peas posted:

Does yours have the vacuum florescent displays with the animated warning lights?

Our 90 Astro had them - they were as neat as they were gaudy.

No mine has the speedometer that was basically a curve and optimistically went up to 140kph.

Also it is a bright blue despite the whole interior of the van being a dark red. GM really were firing on all cylinders in the 80s.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Comrade Flynn posted:

career stuffs

Its nice to see that I am not as far behind the game as I thought I might be. Turned 30 this year on about the same salary track as you, about to buy my moms house in Ballard right by salmon bay park(needs a lot of love, but can't beat the price for the area), now I just gotta find somewhere to get in the ground floor at. Thinking about doing sales engineering since HP has burned me out of DevOps bullshit. Worked for a bit in games, but that startup burned out pretty quick, almost went to work for popcap but their recruiter tried to pull some bullshit on me and after the startup I was not really looking to stay in the game industry(people hanging out at the office late having fun playing games gets really annoying when your working 16+ hour days to get poo poo out the door). The IT world can be awesome at times, but a lot of the other people drive me loving crazy. Some days I think I should go back to working in alaska like I grew up doing.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 11, 2015

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wish I could make a million pounds.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

I wish I could make a million pounds.

Better start eating!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So despite all the dental pain, I was delightfully suprised to find out that my surgery is 80% covered by our new dental insurance. Nice. :unsmith:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

So despite all the dental pain, I was delightfully suprised to find out that my surgery is 80% covered by our new dental insurance. Nice. :unsmith:

Is it like Canada where you have dental fee guides and you have "100%" but really its more like 95% at the final bill?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Everyone should watch the cute baby moose :3:

http://www.nrk.no/ho/elgkalven-som-ble-reddet-og-sjarmerer-alle-1.12405265

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Is it like Canada where you have dental fee guides and you have "100%" but really its more like 95% at the final bill?

Either way, its working out to me being maybe $250 out of pocket. Which is not bad at all.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

A moose once bit my sister...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm actually very conservative with my money.

-noted lambo owner. :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm not sure I've been successful for as long as you think. I only started earning 6 figures 4 years ago (I just turned 33 in March) and it's only in the past year after starting my own company that my income has gone truly bonkers. I'm making more now than I ever dreamed was possible, so this wasn't exactly part of my careful plan. In theory it could all go away tomorrow, so I'm trying to bolster my income now with other investments like real estate.

As far as why, I have no idea. I've always been really, really driven to get wealthy but I've never bought into get rich quick schemes. I got into mobile games on purpose after talking with the Marshbros and realizing we were on the cusp of a monster industry. I got in early and rode the wave.

It probably goes back to my childhood. I grew up very wealthy, then my mom got sick and died, my dad went into a depression, and we lost everything. I was working a full time job in high school so my dad and I could afford to keep the electricity going in our giant house in Silicon Valley. It was probably then that I decided I never wanted to be in that position again. Despite what my purchases on here may lead you guys to think, I'm actually very conservative with my money. I'm probably just trying to follow this advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdfeXqHFmPI

Very cool insight, thanks for the tip. It is weird because at ~27 I kind of got the "big break" by someone hunting me down and offering me a pretty incredible position and they are extremely generous. I have been able to produce good results. That truthfully was originally my fear was that I couldn't produce enough to justify me on the roster. What is weird is that there are some things originally a challenge that are now easy and you find yourself taking on bigger challenges.

I'll stop there because that sounds a ton like a humblebrag. I am just finding that you start to learn how little you know about things and the best way to learn is by learning from those who have mastered certain things. That video clip is pretty awesome, and is pretty accurate of what I would like to achieve in life. Next big hurdle for me will be getting the house paid off. I'd like to do that by 40, and if things don't change that will be pretty easy, but if things go even remotely like last year then it is going to be much sooner than that.

nm posted:

pro-tip, if a lambo owner says something like that then he may have some things that he could teach you ;)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

nm posted:

Gotta have hobbies. Fun cars are a pretty drat good hobby. Hell I'm a cheap bastard but splurge on the cars and racing.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Having trouble getting motivated to work on (one of) my project cars, so made a roadkilll style list so I could cross stuff off.
Think I'm gonna need another bit of cardboard!
Day off tomorrow :)

My big break at age 28 (in 2008) got scuppered by the global financial crisis and then subsequent decisions by the government in the UK that wiped out most of our UK work overnight :(

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 11, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Im a cheap bastard too and dislike spending money on my car but I do it anyway. Feels a little better when its fun stuff and not forced buying though.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Negromancer posted:

Its nice to see that I am not as far behind the game as I thought I might be. Turned 30 this year on about the same salary track as you, about to buy my moms house in Ballard right by salmon bay park(needs a lot of love, but can't beat the price for the area), now I just gotta find somewhere to get in the ground floor at. Thinking about doing sales engineering since HP has burned me out of DevOps bullshit. Worked for a bit in games, but that startup burned out pretty quick, almost went to work for popcap but their recruiter tried to pull some bullshit on me and after the startup I was not really looking to stay in the game industry(people hanging out at the office late having fun playing games gets really annoying when your working 16+ hour days to get poo poo out the door). The IT world can be awesome at times, but a lot of the other people drive me loving crazy. Some days I think I should go back to working in alaska like I grew up doing.

Weird. I live in Ballard. Own on North Beach; I'm trying to buy a lot in Magnolia now to develop. PM me if you want to chat about local game companies sometimes; I know them all (popcap sucks).

nm posted:

I'd be willing to bet (I guess I kind of did) my car goes up in value at a pretty fast rate.

Cage posted:

Im a cheap bastard too and dislike spending money on my car but I do it anyway. Feels a little better when its fun stuff and not forced buying though.

I spent over 6 months shopping for the best deals to build a gaming PC. I probably earn in an hour what it cost me to build the thing.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 11, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Real knobs, real switches, no loving touchscreens. That's a start.

There should be a secret switch under the dash or whatever that turns your gauges into "real" mode, so the temp gauge actually varies instead of just holding steady in the center for instance.

Or maybe just a panel in the center console that slides open when you speak the code phrase "suck squeeze bang blow" to reveal a real oil pressure gauge, temp gauge, boost gauge, all the poo poo that moves around and tends to freak the squares.

The temp gauge on my Crown Vic actual works. Sadly, the oil pressure gauge is a disguised idiot light. The instant there's any pressure at all, it goes to half-way and stays there. Ford recognized this in the year after mine and used the real estate to put in a tach instead.
I like my RX-7 and the Jeep Cherokee I had. Temp gauge actually starts out at the bottom and moves up, and the oil pressure gauge varies with RPM and temp. Real information.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Comrade Flynn posted:

I spent over 6 months shopping for the best deals to build a gaming PC. I probably earn in an hour what it cost me to build the thing.
We used to play MTA:SA together didn't we? Or was it VC?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Holy crap today is an onslaught of loving morons and touchy feely people. Don't loving touch me. :stare:

Highlights include a guy not knowing his own name, a woman touching all over me, and a separate woman trying to hard to make witty remarks about every little thing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Darchangel posted:

The temp gauge on my Crown Vic actual works. Sadly, the oil pressure gauge is a disguised idiot light. The instant there's any pressure at all, it goes to half-way and stays there. Ford recognized this in the year after mine and used the real estate to put in a tach instead.
I like my RX-7 and the Jeep Cherokee I had. Temp gauge actually starts out at the bottom and moves up, and the oil pressure gauge varies with RPM and temp. Real information.

The extra gauges they added to the Focus ST appear to work too - Oil temp creeps up pretty slowly after starting the car, and oil pressure moves based on temperature and engine rpm, and of course obviously the boost gauge does a great job showing fuel economy (inverse ratio to gauge position).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a really good shot at becoming a writer when I was 18 (I got offers from a few schools) but I hosed it all up for a girl who ruined my life. These days I don't even want to pick up a pencil so it was probably for the best. My "career" in retail may not be glamorous but I make more money than most high school teachers in this state, met my amazing girlfriend and I get access to events and "celebrities" without having to pay for tickets or a fan-tax of any type. I get upset with myself sometimes but I've started prepping for my future and I'm not really too worried about our financial state 20 years from now as my Dad has started helping me follow his investments.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Comrade Flynn posted:

Weird. I live in Ballard. Own on North Beach; I'm trying to buy a lot in Magnolia now to develop. PM me if you want to chat about local game companies sometimes; I know them all (popcap sucks).

I remember you posting pictures of your lambo in your driveway and immediately recognized the neighborhood. My mom has lived in the same house in ballard that I am trying to buy pretty much my entire life. Not the same place I grew up, but better than the other options around the city. I really like magnolia, my dad had a house there for a while growing up and my brother owns a house over there now.

Not sure if I feel like going back into games, the "culture" bullshit tended to piss me off. I slightly edited my post, but I am talking with a very well known open source web server company(not apache) about sales engineering work, which sounds like its exactly what I would enjoy doing. Might still reach out and talk shop just in case you know anyone who needs good linux systems engineers.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I used to dream that one day I'd be a prolific writer, and then I spent a year interning at a local newspaper writing a column during highschool. I loving hated it and now I don't even write for fun. Honestly for the best, it was a great hobby but horrible to do on a deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

The extra gauges they added to the Focus ST appear to work too - Oil temp creeps up pretty slowly after starting the car, and oil pressure moves based on temperature and engine rpm, and of course obviously the boost gauge does a great job showing fuel economy (inverse ratio to gauge position).

Additionally it functions directly as a fun meter :haw:

I had half of an update about the little 'Yota and the motor refresh I'm doing written up but I think I'm just going to go and start a project thread instead of cramming yet MORE crap into the chat thread.

I'll just leave these

The good news is that while it's scattered in several bits all over the garage (I know where everything is, I swear), the shortblock and the head are at the machinists for a refresh (valve stem seals, valve job, cleaning) and an evaluation of the shortblock. There's some poo poo going on with Cyl 3 & 4 that I want to get checked out.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 11, 2015

• Locked thread