Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I'm not quite sure my jacket has enough buttons, can you add a box of 'em to it?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Rand Paul gave a press conference this afternoon about civil liberties.

That's almost more embarrassing that Christie's baseball outfit.

:troll:

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Sir Tonk posted:

That's almost more embarrassing that Christie's baseball outfit.

Please allow me to assure you that it is not.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Weekend at Frankie's

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Now you're just phoning it in.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

yessss

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:vince:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

Has he been wearing the uniform around all day? Maybe. Maaaaayyyybbbbbeeeeee.

Western Kentucky? He really doesnt want people to know he went to Duke.

Mark Kirk making jokes about Lindsey Graham is pretty priceless, considering his gayness is an open secret in Chicago's gay community.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Paul is 0-1 so far with a pop fly out to the Dems pitcher, Cedric Richmond, in foul territory.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

Paul is 0-1 so far with a pop fly out to the Dems pitcher, Cedric Richmond, in foul territory.
Haha, I mean they're old folks but still this is an indictment of somebody in the infield.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Oh hey remember that absolutely goddamn idiotic multi-page derail about how Sanders didn't care enough about black people

https://medium.com/@BernieSanders/youth-unemployment-and-dr-king-s-dream-9b96997d1c8

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cubey posted:

Oh hey remember that absolutely goddamn idiotic multi-page derail about how Sanders didn't care enough about black people

https://medium.com/@BernieSanders/youth-unemployment-and-dr-king-s-dream-9b96997d1c8

No, because nobody claimed he didn't care about black people.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Obdicut posted:

No, because nobody claimed he didn't care about black people.

Sure, maybe not here in this thread (I actually think there were, but I'm not going to go back pages to look), but there are people who are quite explicit about being "concerned" that he doesn't explicitly mention $IDENTITY_GROUP_X in his speeches. And in other forums where dems congregate I've seen explicit statements that not mentioning them means he doesn't care "as much", as well as outright charges of racism. So, yeah, it is a thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Huckabee has a Hater

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Feather posted:

Sure, maybe not here in this thread (I actually think there were, but I'm not going to go back pages to look),

There weren't. You, however, accused me of poo poo I didn't do and then vanished rather than back it up.

quote:

but there are people who are quite explicit about being "concerned" that he doesn't explicitly mention $IDENTITY_GROUP_X in his speeches. And in other forums where dems congregate I've seen explicit statements that not mentioning them means he doesn't care "as much", as well as outright charges of racism. So, yeah, it is a thing.

That's cool. My problem with Sanders--not alleviated by that article--on race is that he keeps bending it back towards economics--as did many of his supporters in this thread. Economic woes are definitely a large part of the problems in the black community, but he really needs to not do things like use Ferguson to talk about economic problems. It'd be a lot better if we saw Sanders really engage in the non-economic problems facing black america. I know the economic stuff is his schtick, but by hewing to it so much he seems less like a presidential candidate and more like a senator--an excellent senator who I am very glad has been around and will continue to be around as a powerful voice addressing problems few do in this country. But he can still improve on race, and I"m not talking about pandering but actual policy. He says great things about the prison-industrial complex, for example, but he talks about it only in economic terms.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cubey posted:

I love the detailed criticism of police brutality in that article.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The X-man cometh posted:

Western Kentucky? He really doesnt want people to know he went to Duke.

Mark Kirk making jokes about Lindsey Graham is pretty priceless, considering his gayness is an open secret in Chicago's gay community.

Seriously, he's wearing the uniform of the 5th rate university in the state.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Candidate Tracker 6/10

Martin O'Malley was at a fundraiser event in Louisville, Kentucky. It was at the home of a Christy Brown. Probably this Christy Brown. This is just me guessing.

Hillary Clinton stopped in Providence, RI. It seems she netted a cool $300k and an American Olympic hero. She also stopped in Newton, Ma. If you got an invitation the tickets cost $2700 reportedly.

Rick Santorum signed a Pledge to Grover. He also stopped in Chattanooga, TN. He also appeared on The Brian Joyce Radio Show.

Full audio of Ben Carson speech in Urbandale Iowa. I'm not sure if I linked this yet.

6/11 Candidate tracker

Chris Christie came to Iowa State University today to poo poo on everyone. Speech audio link at the bottom of the article

Carly Fiorina is at the Competitive Enterprise Institute 2015 Dinner. It is still going on so no video or audio to look for. She appeared on Fox News today also.

John Kasich is in Vegas. It starts at 6PM their time.

Marco Rubio and some other guys are at the Mitt Romney Mormon Camp.

Martin O'Malley was in Marshalltown, Mount Vernon, Iowa City. No news stories on any just yet.

Scott Walker on This Week With George.

Santorum appeared on CNN. I couldn't find anything, but clips. He also appeared on With All Due Respect. http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/topics/with-all-due-respect three clips there.

Jeb Bush Putin question

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 12, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr Hootington posted:

Chris Christie came to Iowa State University today to poo poo on everyone. Speech audio link at the bottom of the article.

Best part is the suggestion that potential students sell shares of stock of themselves to investors in exchange for a percentage of the future massive income they'll be earning after graduating college.
http://thinkprogress.org/education/2015/06/11/3668713/chris-christie-makes-college-affordability-priority-iowa-speech/

Is there a particularly specific demographic that's like "Yes, yes I want my children to literally sell themselves into indentured servitude when they grow up" that he's going for here?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obdicut posted:

on race is that he keeps bending it back towards economics-

It either works or it doesn't. I'm leaning towards he will get no real traction with minorities and his challenge will sputter very early. I do not expect him to change his messaging in that regard.

That said it a step, a step in a given direction that at least maybe gives the impression he's not just internet-Marx-man, but a real candidate.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 12, 2015

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Best part is the suggestion that potential students sell shares of stock of themselves to investors in exchange for a percentage of the future massive income they'll be earning after graduating college.
http://thinkprogress.org/education/2015/06/11/3668713/chris-christie-makes-college-affordability-priority-iowa-speech/

Is there a particularly specific demographic that's like "Yes, yes I want my children to literally sell themselves into indentured servitude when they grow up" that he's going for here?

Rich people, although that's less their kids and more other people's kids. We're not in full-on Moloch territory yet.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

think of it as a lottery. invest $5,000 in a student and maybe he will be a barista at Starbucks or maybe he will be the next mark zuckerberg. There would be entire investment firms dedicated to scoring potential investments as future lawyers,doctors or starving artists.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Neo Rasa posted:

I scanned over the transcript and boy howdy it was awful. I can't believe some of the stuff they say sometimes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Silicon Valley popping is going to kill California dead. Republicans will rule for generations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Carly Fiorina is at the Competitive Enterprise Institute 2015 Dinner. It is still going on

Between HP, Lucent, and her political career, has she ever been competitive?

Nonsense posted:

Silicon Valley popping is going to kill California dead. Republicans will rule for generations.

Tech will be replaced by Big Weed as the dominant Northern California industry.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 12, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Nastier Nate posted:

think of it as a lottery. invest $5,000 in a student and maybe he will be a barista at Starbucks or maybe he will be the next mark zuckerberg. There would be entire investment firms dedicated to scoring potential investments as future lawyers,doctors or starving artists.

There was a startup company that attempted to do that. Then they soon found out that the entire business plan was so close to massively illegal they'd never be able to do it right, so it just became another student loan company.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

Between HP, Lucent, and her political career, has she ever been competitive?

Probably made HP the most money on the stock market of any CEO upon being fired.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

He finished the night 0-2. According to the pool report, the last thing Obama saw before leaving the game was Rand Paul striking out.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mr Hootington posted:

helpful summaries

You're doing God's work, son.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I guess Jeb just started a Super PAC to fund the apology tour for his brother that he's on. No, no, Putin's soul was indeed clean before it was corrupted by contact with Obama at a G8 summit.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Shortly after implementation, questions are raised as to the astonishing number of students declaring as Business, STEM, and Medical Majors while taking suspiciously large amounts of elective credits in the Humanities, English, and Art departments.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Here's the startup I was talking about : http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-03-01/startup-money-for-a-piece-of-your-future-paycheck

quote:

Young people who can show they’ll earn a decent living in the future should be able to access some of that wealth now. So says Upstart, a new type of lender based in Silicon Valley. It matches wealthy folks willing to front money to college students and recent grads. Generally within one year of accepting the money, recipients have to start repaying backers. The twist: Rather than return the specific amount, they agree to pay a chunk of their annual income, as reported on their tax returns, for 10 years.

Upstart, which accepts applicants from 30 states in which it has lending licenses or where no licensure is required, has big ambitions: “We’re trying to create a fundamentally new category of finance that theoretically is applicable to any person in the world,” says Jeff Keltner, who co-founded the venture with former colleagues from Google (GOOG). The website launched in August and started accepting profiles in September. (Upstart isn’t the only business pushing this model, as the Verge pointed out earlier this week.)

The money might enable participants, dubbed “upstarts” by Upstart, to enroll in coding boot camp, pay off college loans, or start businesses. “The thing that’s new is you’re investing in an individual and their personal potential,” says Keltner. With today’s crushing levels of student loan debt, “we see so many students coming out saying: ‘I can’t turn down this job, because I have this $700 a month loan payment … trying my own thing is just crazy.’”

Backed by $5.25 million from investors that include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, First Round Capital, and Mark Cuban, Upstart doesn’t intend to squeeze struggling people. Payments are waived as long as the recipient earns less than $30,000 in a year. (However, Upstart will extend the term of payments one year at a time per low year, for a maximum contract of 15 years.) Payments to backers are capped at five times their original investment.

etc..

But by May last year they realized this was insane, and now they just do three year loans.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Gyges posted:

Shortly after implementation, questions are raised as to the astonishing number of students declaring as Business, STEM, and Medical Majors while taking suspiciously large amounts of elective credits in the Humanities, English, and Art departments.

Also, for some reason the black candidates only get 40% of the funding of white candidates in their same field. Wisdom of crowds! The market has spoken!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Jeb is so hosed, I can't believe how unprepared he's looking

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Nintendo Kid posted:

Here's the startup I was talking about : http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-03-01/startup-money-for-a-piece-of-your-future-paycheck

But by May last year they realized this was insane, and now they just do three year loans.

What's the illegal part of it? I mean, I totally agree a scheme like that should be illegal, but I was just wondering what governs it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Obdicut posted:

What's the illegal part of it? I mean, I totally agree a scheme like that should be illegal, but I was just wondering what governs it.

According to an interview with one of the people from the company:

""Girouard said that the regulators were actually very interested in the crowdfinancing model and were willing to work with Upstart to make it happen. But one piece of regulation held them back: The requirement that people putting the money down to fund the education be high-net worth individuals. That limited the funding pool considerably, and it made it harder for people to raise money on the site, which in turn limited adoption. And while crowdfunding rules in the JOBS Act might have alleviated some of that, it wasn’t happening fast enough. Startups, like sharks, are creatures of momentum. If they’re not swimming forward as fast as they can, they’re dying.

“This thing was just never going to work if it was only accredited investors. We knew that going into it. We needed it to eventually reach mass adoption, and that wasn’t happening fast enough,” he said."

So they couldn't sustain the necessary amount of qualified investors backing things, meaning tat their initial thing was constantly teetering on the edge of illegality. There was also less demand they expected.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2014/05/23/why-upstart-abandoned-education-crowdfunding-to.html

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Jeb is so hosed, I can't believe how unprepared he's looking

Like there's any way to prepare for questions about every dumb thing his brother did or said. It's only a matter of time before he gets asked about pretzels and golf swings.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary's "announcement" event tomorrow features an H-shaped stage. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

Hillary's "announcement" event tomorrow features an H-shaped stage. :barf:

Alternatively it's an I-shaped stage :v: