Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Unreal 1's singleplayer is loving awesome and definitely still worth some runthroughs. I still give it a few whirls every now and then just to bask in the environments, which still manage to be breathtaking despite the low-poly models.

Unreal 2's singleplayer is pretty much just disappointment, but has rad music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

TerminusEst13 posted:

Unreal 1's singleplayer is loving awesome and definitely still worth some runthroughs. I still give it a few whirls every now and then just to bask in the environments, which still manage to be breathtaking despite the low-poly models.

Rrajigrar Mines is still some of the best music in any game, ever, and the moment where the first Skarrj gets dropped on you is still scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpRYFAW9jJk

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
At this point, I wouldn't worry about community for UT games because all of the classic ones have only a very small amount of severs active and modding is pretty much dead for all of them. There's a ton of custom content for each game (most of which plays well with bots), so you have years upon years of content to try. Just pick whatever UT you want to play because they're both awesome, though I like UT99 a bit more than 2k4.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

SilentW posted:

Rrajigrar Mines is still some of the best music in any game, ever, and the moment where the first Skarrj gets dropped on you is still scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpRYFAW9jJk

Shared Dig is so goddamn good. I'm not sure why it's never in any top VGM song lists.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Oh geeze, right, Unreal uses MOD music doesn't it? I'm a sucker for that stuff, thanks to growing up with an Amiga 500 in the house. That deadly lure of somehow feeling nostalgic for games that I haven't even played... :3: Yeah it seems quite likely I'm gonna bite on this Steam deal.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Elliotw2 posted:

It sounds really odd to say, but UT3 being awful at launch literally killed the other two game's communities.

Yeah, it happens to a lot of games and it's really unfortunate. Bad sequels have a habit of siphoning players in and then moving them on elsewhere. Halo 4 decimated the series' community as an example, Unreal Tournament 3 did a lot of damage to 2k4, Battlefield whatever dilutes and weakens the population every time a new one comes out. It's not a case of spreading players across the series, they pretty much stop on it for good.
Call of Duty seems to be the only major series still immune to it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I never liked the first mines maps in Unreal 1 like others do. Whenever I replay U1, I think "Man, I wanna get through this so I can get to Chizra" while in the mines instead of thinking how fun and cool it is.

On the other hand, I really like the mines maps in RtNP, which aren't liked as much.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

closeted republican posted:

I never liked the first mines maps in Unreal 1 like others do. Whenever I replay U1, I think "Man, I wanna get through this so I can get to Chizra" while in the mines instead of thinking how fun and cool it is.

On the other hand, I really like the mines maps in RtNP, which aren't liked as much.

Return to Na Pali isn't too bad in the level design department, it gave us some good music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHmAKscc6Kw), but it totally broke the gently caress out of the weapon balance and I was NOT a fan of that. The marine autorifle is just way too good at everything and obsoletes basically everything.

edit: yeah, I know it's a carbon copy of a NiN song, but whatever.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is literally no reason to play unreal 2

That franchise pack is a baller value tho

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
RTNP sucks and they just stole Cliffy's abandoned maps from the beta, Unreal 2 shows the true depths of poo poo that Legend Entertainment could reach.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

RTNP sucks and they just stole Cliffy's abandoned maps from the beta, Unreal 2 shows the true depths of poo poo that Legend Entertainment could reach.

The original maps by Legend are kinda eh to poo poo, but the repurposed beta maps are pretty nice. Sunspire Valley in particular is cool as hell.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SilentW posted:

Rrajigrar Mines is still some of the best music in any game, ever

I'm getting some San Francisco Rush vibes from this track...

Overall the music was my favorite thing about Unreal. I found the level design really confusing in parts and honestly found a lot of the game a bit of a chore because of that (and also because a lot of enemies are pretty bullet-spongey). Then again, it has absolutely no nostalgia value for me, as I only played through it for the first time a few months ago.

I remember this track in the expansion being pretty enjoyable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IzkNj0ldgQ

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Just finished the DNF mod for duke 3d and I recognized WAY too many of the assets they stole appropriated to be healthy.

Quick list while it's fresh in my head.

sprites from all the major build engines including but limited too:

-Blood
-Shadow Warrior
-Doom
- A Half Life 2 citizen :psyduck:
-A Borderlands sound track.
-A few assets from the actual Duke Nukem Forever.

Mind you, it was a fun game, it just weird to see how- liberal mod authors can be at commandeering assets when they need too.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

At this point, I wouldn't worry about community for UT games because all of the classic ones have only a very small amount of severs active and modding is pretty much dead for all of them.
Still waiting on Firestorm, The Chosen one and Residual Decay :smith:

quote:

Mind you, it was a fun game, it just weird to see how- liberal mod authors can be at commandeering assets when they need too.
In our (duke community) defence, we have about 1 sprite artist and he's not even really active anymore either.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Jblade posted:

Still waiting on Firestorm, The Chosen one and Residual Decay :smith:

In our (duke community) defence, we have about 1 sprite artist and he's not even really active anymore either.

When I heard about Residual Decay and how long it's taken, I knew it was never going to come out. :smith:

Xidia and 7 Bullets are still great, though.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Jblade posted:

I noticed that with AMC. Past a certain point, the enemies start dropping in from different build games. Not that that's a bad thing as my religion prohibits me from refraining from stabbing, dismembering and burning Monoliths Bloods cultists in as many different ways as possible. :hawksin:

I think the Cultists might be my favorite build engine enemy. They just blow up in such a fun manner, and their little babbling language is funny too.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Klaus88 posted:

I noticed that with AMC. Past a certain point, the enemies start dropping in from different build games. Not that that's a bad thing as my religion prohibits me from refraining from stabbing, dismembering and burning Monoliths Bloods cultists in as many different ways as possible. :hawksin:

I think the Cultists might be my favorite build engine enemy. They just blow up in such a fun manner, and their little babbling language is funny too.

They're so fun to kill. They take just the right amount of damage and just sound hilarious when screaming. Bonus points to Monolith for actually (somewhat) inventing a language derived from Sanskrit for the Cultists to actually speak instead of regular babble.

On the same note as fun enemies, has there ever been a single fun-to-kill bulletsponge enemy in any FPS that isn't a boss? The only ones I can think of are the Mancubus and Arachnotron maybe, but I don't even know if they count.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MONKET posted:

They're so fun to kill. They take just the right amount of damage and just sound hilarious when screaming. Bonus points to Monolith for actually (somewhat) inventing a language derived from Sanskrit for the Cultists to actually speak instead of regular babble.

On the same note as fun enemies, has there ever been a single fun-to-kill bulletsponge enemy in any FPS that isn't a boss? The only ones I can think of are the Mancubus and Arachnotron maybe, but I don't even know if they count.

Kill like 8 octobrains with one explosion

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

MONKET posted:

The original Shadow Warrior's rippers. They might hold the record for "least effective melee opponent in an FPS of all time." They're not quick enough to outrun you, they're not smart enough to charge at you and keep charging until one of you is dead, and they're not strong enough to survive direct hits from your stronger weapons.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

SilentW posted:

edit: yeah, I know it's a carbon copy of a NiN song, but whatever.

Did someone say "videogame music that sounds like NiN" ??? :getin:

(I don't know why I used that, I only have one example)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfjIpc_Lbjk

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Klaus88 posted:

The original Shadow Warrior's rippers. They might hold the record for "least effective melee opponent in an FPS of all time." They're not quick enough to outrun you, they're not smart enough to charge at you and keep charging until one of you is dead, and they're not strong enough to survive direct hits from your stronger weapons.

Naw, man. Pinkies.

It's goddamn depressing to see them bounce of the walls four-ever instead of charging right in and you're standing there waiting for them walk into your chainsaw.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don't know what it was (or is) about Rippers, but they scare the poo poo out of me in a way that Doom's pinkies and Quake's fiends never did.

Them, and the "beast" from the expansion pack for Blood.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 12, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm probably going to be a bad man by saying that I really didn't like the Quake arsenal. The grenade launcher was different enough and the super nail gun was the definition of "punchy" and the Lightning gun gibbing you underwater was a pretty cool touch, but I really didn't enjoy using them in general. Maybe it's because they were just simple geometric shapes floating in front of the camera and the animations were mostly nonexistent? I don't know, but I felt a lot more powerful with the arsenals from Doom/II and Duke 3D (sort of) and even Shadow Warrior.

I feel the opposite; Quake 1's arsenal is really satisfying to use. The weapons are simple, but the weapons are really fun to use. The Rocket Launcher is extremely fun in multiplayer because how easy it is to juggle people with it and easily it can gib people, the ping sounds the Greanade Launcher's grenades make fighting with it feel dynamic and exciting, the Lighting Gun's sheer power makes it satisfying to use, and the Super Nailgun has some serious oomph to it because of how powerful it is and how meaty its sounds are.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I still have yet to see a grenade launcher more satisfying than Quake's.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MONKET posted:

I love geting into Grenade Launcher fights with Ogres. So many cool pinging sounds that make the fight feel intense as gently caress.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you feel like paying for bad Duke 3D TCs, NAM is in the $1 of the new Humble Weekly Bundle.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

MONKET posted:

Turok's is fun to use, though the grenades are just a tad too slow and bouncy.

It's only really effective against large and slow or stationary enemies though, but it's fun as hell killing mans with explosives in Turok and watching them launch into the sky. It never gets old.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 12, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MONKET posted:

Planetside 1 Thumper. :colbert:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MONKET posted:

I still have yet to see a grenade launcher more satisfying than Goldeneye's

Fixed this for you at the risk of extreme blasphemy and excommunication

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

:puckout:

Apologies for the screenshot quality, there just random captures I grabbed while I was playing.

The ultimate heretic weapon mod.

I always imagine Quakeguy cussing like a sailor when he gets stuck saving another reality like this.

:argh: "This is absolutely the last time I'm saving you fuckers, after this I'm going out for a drink with the Duke!"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Unreal Music Chat: Reminder that these four albums here are fantastic. Violet Eclectic's my personal favorite.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Did someone say "videogame music that sounds like NiN" ??? :getin:

(I don't know why I used that, I only have one example)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDq_vYHHnqw

The beginning of this song and the drum part at 2:03 are copied directly from the same MIDI of "Head Like a Hole" that appears in dwango5.wad and everywhere else

(Descent totally counts as an early FPS right?)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I actually really like Serious Sam's grenade launcher. I thought it was complete poo poo for the first few years, but then I realized--in addition to being able to control the distance the rounds travel--the grenades fly faster than rockets. It become trivial to cream weaker enemies like Kleer and Gnaar, even from significant distances.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

UIApplication posted:

Fixed this for you at the risk of extreme blasphemy and excommunication

As anyone else in this thread, I played the poo poo out of GE and loved every single non-Slappers-in-Caves moment of it, but the Quake grenade launcher is absolutely the best. That... tone that plays for every bounce will never leave my brain. When you hear it without having fired it yourself, you scramble.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I actually really like Serious Sam's grenade launcher. I thought it was complete poo poo for the first few years, but then I realized--in addition to being able to control the distance the rounds travel--the grenades fly faster than rockets. It become trivial to cream weaker enemies like Kleer and Gnaar, even from significant distances.

Same here. I used to think the Rocket Launcher was better, but after several years of playing, I discovered that the Grenade Launcher is so much better for everything.

It's a good anti-Biomech weapon as well. A single charged shot kills a blue one in one hit, while it lets you stay far away from red ones so dodging their rockets is piss easy.

quote:

As anyone else in this thread, I played the poo poo out of GE and loved every single non-Slappers-in-Caves moment of it, but the Quake grenade launcher is absolutely the best. That... tone that plays for every bounce will never leave my brain. When you hear it without having fired it yourself, you scramble.

PING PING PING

Quake 1 has awesome sounds.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Same here. I used to think the Rocket Launcher was better, but after several years of playing, I discovered that the Grenade Launcher is so much better for everything.

It's a good anti-Biomech weapon as well. A single charged shot kills a blue one in one hit, while it lets you stay far away from red ones so dodging their rockets is piss easy.

PING PING PING

Quake 1 has awesome sounds.

That's what it was. Yeah, I forgot about it, but the grenade launcher wrecks bio-mechs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Does the Flak Cannon count as a grenade launcher? I used to use well timed grenades more than I did the primary fire.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Oh good question. It's like, is the Flak Cannon a shotgun or a grenade launcher? Or both? I don't know the answer to this, but I do know that it's awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh good question. It's like, is the Flak Cannon a shotgun or a grenade launcher? Or both? I don't know the answer to this, but I do know that it's awesome.

If the flak cannon counts, then I change my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

quote:

It's a holy fusion of both.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's what it was. Yeah, I forgot about it, but the grenade launcher wrecks bio-mechs.

I was so disappointed they removed in Serious Sam 3. It's a fun and practical weapon. Use it to take down Biomechs and Kleers from a distance, then try to hit Harpies and Beheaded enemies with the GL from a distance when you want to spice things up.